StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Modern Wars & Warfare

Notices and Announcements

Modern Wars & Warfare General discussion on war. Topics that are not covered in any of our sub-forums below. .

View Poll Results: Whose nuclear and missile/space programs are more of a threat to the US?
Iran 16 29.63%
North Korea 13 24.07%
Same Risk 6 11.11%
Depends on time frame being considered 10 18.52%
Don't know 2 3.70%
Don't care 7 12.96%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 Apr 12, 17:54
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
Iran & North Korea: Whose Nuclear & Missile Programs are more dangerous to the US?

Iran and North Korea - Whose nuclear and space/missile programs pose more of a threat to the US?

I include all factors in the question - the weapons themselves, the political situation in each country, the reactions of potential adversaries and allies, the populations and natural resources and industrial capabilities of the countries etc.

Last edited by lakechampainer; 11 Apr 12 at 20:55..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 11 Apr 12, 19:16
Sergeant Major
UK

calger14 is on the path to success [1-99] calger14 is on the path to success [1-99] calger14 is on the path to success [1-99]
Hard one. I think they are equal threats but i think North Korea is most likely to be a lot worse as with the Taepodong-2 could reach Alaska and we are not even sure if Iran definitely has the weapons we are fearful of.
Old 11 Apr 12, 20:53
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
I go with North Korea, as I believe Iran believes time is on their side - they are far along, they have a large population and industrial base, and there already is "an Islamic bomb" in Pakistan. Also, I think their populations (both the military-industrial elites and the average person) are more sophisticated/less brainwashed than the North Koreans.

I feel that the North Koreans do not feel that time is on their side. I also feel that with their Stalinist worldview the elites lack the basic rationality which I think the Iranians possess (I hope). And it's been almost 60 years since actual War - whereas in Iran the population is only a generation away from horrible losses during the Iran-Iraq War.

Last edited by lakechampainer; 11 Apr 12 at 20:59..
Old 11 Apr 12, 22:48
Lord Of The English Manor
UK
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by calger14 View Post
Hard one. I think they are equal threats but i think North Korea is most likely to be a lot worse as with the Taepodong-2 could reach Alaska and we are not even sure if Iran definitely has the weapons we are fearful of.
Yes a hard and interesting one. I'll wait for more input before voting.

I think it depends on how Iran and North Korea themselves view their external threats comparatively. Right now, Iran is under much more pressure than North Korea and so could be much more likely to do something drastic.

(Although I can never resist pointing out that the Taepodongs of the North Koreans are far larger and can penetrate much further than the dongs of any of their neighbors. Also I am unclear as to whether North Korean dongs are larger than Iranian dongs.)

(Sorry. Will not do this again.)

Philip

Last edited by PhilipLaos; 11 Apr 12 at 23:09..
Old 12 Apr 12, 01:22
General of the Forums
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
It has been suggested that the Iranians and North Koreas are sharing know-how on such matters.

What concerned people hereabouts was that in one televised report of the preparations for the up-coming launch a large map was seen in the background with Australia right dead-center.

It has also been mentioned that the latest Dong has the (theoretical) ability to hit Darwin.
Old 12 Apr 12, 02:57
Colonel
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200]
North Korea is surrounded by stable countries all looking to 'attempt' to keep them in line.

Iran is surrounded by unstable countries and is quite prone to be involved in a war.

So Iran is the bigger threat to look at, especially when considering our Israeli Ally.

However the poll directly states The United States. North Korea only has Japan and any naval intercept between itself and US coast. Iran is on the other side of the globe however it can attack ships in the gulf likely a Super Carrier.

therefore i voted Depends,
Old 12 Apr 12, 03:48
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELGRAVE View Post
It has been suggested that the Iranians and North Koreas are sharing know-how on such matters.

What concerned people hereabouts was that in one televised report of the preparations for the up-coming launch a large map was seen in the background with Australia right dead-center.

It has also been mentioned that the latest Dong has the (theoretical) ability to hit Darwin.
I'm sure that Darwin is high on their target list.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

'half-baked, spurious nationalism'
Old 12 Apr 12, 12:52
General of the Forums
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200]
North Korea's is the more dangerous of the two.
Old 12 Apr 12, 13:47
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Intranetusa is walking in the light [200] Intranetusa is walking in the light [200] Intranetusa is walking in the light [200] Intranetusa is walking in the light [200] Intranetusa is walking in the light [200] Intranetusa is walking in the light [200] Intranetusa is walking in the light [200] Intranetusa is walking in the light [200] Intranetusa is walking in the light [200] Intranetusa is walking in the light [200] Intranetusa is walking in the light [200] Intranetusa is walking in the light [200] Intranetusa is walking in the light [200]
North Korea actually has a nuke. They have long range missiles. They've also actually attacked and killed military personnel of US allies recently.

Iran doesn't have a nuke, and according to Israel/US/EU intelligence agencies they're not trying to build a nuke either.

Iran also doesn't have any real long range missile tech and they get their missiles from N. Korea.

Guess which country we're threatening to bomb and invade, and which country we're paying off with bribes?

Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death. -Sun Tzu
Old 12 Apr 12, 17:54
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Given their accuracy, Darwin doesn't have to be on their target list to get hit. (OK, they're not that bad, we hope.)

Iran is the clearer threat. I can't agree with Intranetusa that Iran is not trying to build a nuke, but I do agree that their missile program is not aimed at us, nor likely to be so soon. Iran's threat to the region has the potential of effecting U.S. interests, and that could bring U.S. troops to within range of their missiles.

North Korea should be left to the South Koreans to handle. It would save us money, and free up troops for elsewhere. Our purpose for staying there evaporated years ago, but we seem to have a hard time simply declaring victory, or end of mission, and getting out.

Phong trần mi một lưỡi gươm, Những loi gi o ti cơm s g!
Sponsored Links

Old 12 Apr 12, 20:11
General of the Forums
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint John View Post
No, not really, but it feeds local paranoia.
Old 13 Apr 12, 04:50
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Intranetusa is walking in the light [200] Intranetusa is walking in the light [200] Intranetusa is walking in the light [200] Intranetusa is walking in the light [200] Intranetusa is walking in the light [200] Intranetusa is walking in the light [200] Intranetusa is walking in the light [200] Intranetusa is walking in the light [200] Intranetusa is walking in the light [200] Intranetusa is walking in the light [200] Intranetusa is walking in the light [200] Intranetusa is walking in the light [200] Intranetusa is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lirelou View Post
Given their accuracy, Darwin doesn't have to be on their target list to get hit. (OK, they're not that bad, we hope.)
Iran is the clearer threat. I can't agree with Intranetusa that Iran is not trying to build a nuke, but I do agree that their missile program is not aimed at us, nor likely to be so soon. Iran's threat to the region has the potential of effecting U.S. interests, and that could bring U.S. troops to within range of their missiles....
You're not disagreeing with me. You're disagreeing with the US and Israeli intelligence agencies. They're the ones saying Iran is not trying to build a nuke.

http://news.yahoo.com/special-report...-imminent.html

The United States, European allies and even Israel generally agree on three things about Iran's nuclear program: Tehran does not have a bomb, has not decided to build one, and is probably years away from having a deliverable nuclear warhead.

Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death. -Sun Tzu
Old 13 Apr 12, 07:10
General of the Forums
United_States

I think the failure of the launch lessens the risk overall, and especially in the long term. However, I think it makes things more dangerous in the short term, as the regime has "lost face". If the nuclear test fizzles, they will lose even more face. It wouldn't surprise me if they then do something on an island, or on the DMZ, or something else crazy.

They must know the clock is ticking on their regime.

Edit: I would assume that people will have to be blamed for the failure - people will be blamed, guilty or not. Also, some people might be desperate enough to plot escapes - although I doubt that, given that they must assume their family and associates left behind would be punished if they tried to leave somehow. In any case I'm sure the internal security/secret police are right now even busier than usual.

I once again would like to think the good proles in Peiping/Peking/Beijing will get off their xxxxx and try to put pressure on the regime and/or deal with some of the players to put in a modified regime. I'm not holding my breath though waiting for this.

This might be a good time for the US to start broadcasting burst transmissions, sending Morse Code messages, disrupting communications, etc. in an attempt to sow more paranoia among the security organs.

Last edited by lakechampainer; 13 Apr 12 at 14:29..
Old 13 Apr 12, 17:23
Gunnery Sergeant
UK

Rob Connolly is on the path to success [1-99] Rob Connolly is on the path to success [1-99] Rob Connolly is on the path to success [1-99] Rob Connolly is on the path to success [1-99]
Late-breaking news: Pyongyang this evening announced the successful launch of the world's first ballistic anti-submarine missile.

Old 14 Apr 12, 10:36
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
I voted "Don't Care" since "Neither" wasn't an option. They can't hit us and we're only involved because they can hit allies that should be able to take care of themselves.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!