StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > Russia, Central Asia, and The Caucasus

Notices and Announcements

Russia, Central Asia, and The Caucasus Post-Soviet Russia and some neglected smaller neighbors.

Old 27 Mar 12, 06:30
General of the Forums
Belgium
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Mitt Romney about Russia

http://archives.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/...itroom.01.html

Quote:
ROMNEY: Yes, there's something terribly wrong with that.

It is alarming. It is troubling. The agreement that the president put in place with regards to nuclear weapons is one which I find very, very troubling already. The decision to withdraw our missile defense sites from Poland put us in greater jeopardy, in my view. The actions he's taken so far which he says are to reset relations with Russia have not worked out at all.

Russia continues to support Syria, supports Iran, has -- has fought us with the crippling sanctions we wanted to have the world put in place against Iran. Russia is not a friendly character on the world stage, and for this president to be looking for greater flexibility, where he doesn't have to answer to the American people in his relations with Russia is very, very troubling, very alarming. I'm very, very concerned. I think the American people are going to feel the same way. This is a president who is telling us one thing and is doing something else, and is planning on doing something else even more frightening.

BLITZER: Well, when you say even more frightening, what he's planning on doing in your opinion?

ROMNEY: Well, my guess is it has to do either with nuclear arms discussions, or it has to do with missile defense site. What he did both on with nuclear weaponry already and the new START treaty, as well as his decision to withdraw missile defense sites from Poland, and reduce our missile defense sites in Alaska from the original plan. I mean, these are very unfortunate developments and if he's planning on doing more and suggest to Russia that he has things he's willing to do with them he's no willing to tell the American people, this is to Russia this is without question our number one geopolitical foe, they fight every cause for the world's worst actors, the idea that he has some more flexibility in mind for Russia is very, very troubling indeed.

BLITZER: You think Russia is a bigger foe right now than, let's say, Iran or China or North Korea, is that what you're suggesting, Governor?

ROMNEY: Well, I'm saying in terms of a geopolitical opponent, the nation which aligns with the world's famous actors. Of course, the greatest threat that the world faces is a nuclear Iran and nuclear North Korea is already troubling enough, but when these terrible actors pursue their course in the world and we go to the United Nations looking for ways to stop them, when Assad for instance is murdering its own people, we go to the United Nations and who is it that always stands up for the world's worst actors, it is always Russia, typically with China alongside.

And so, in terms of a geopolitical foe, a nation that's on the Security Council, that has the heft of the Security Council, and is, of course, a massive nuclear power, Russia is the geopolitical foe, and their -- and the idea that our president is planning on doing something with them that he's not willing to tell the American people before the election is something I find very, very alarming.

Obviously some things never change.

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 27 Mar 12, 07:48
General of the Forums
Russia
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Looks like we have a much better understanding of the mindset of American power elites than the common Americans at the forum. It seems to be quite a challenge to explain them that while the "evils of Russia" might not be trumpeted by each and every press outlet 10 times a day, it is still a number 1 threat for the proverbial 1% who really decide on things in the US.

Maybe his election would be a better thing for the Russians as well - it's high time that some people part with their illusions. I've heard much that the Americans care little about foreign policy and only consider a candidate's stance on internal policies. Wonder if they would wake up in their bubble one day to realise they've exchanged tax breaks or extra social benefits for a new world war.

Romney's live speech on TV:

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Last edited by ShAA; 27 Mar 12 at 08:21..
Old 27 Mar 12, 08:15
General of the Forums
Russia
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
And in case someone says it's a "maverick statement" or whatever, here's more proof Romney is far from being a "lone and irrelevant Cold Warrior".

Old 27 Mar 12, 09:08
General of the Forums
Belgium
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Is there anyone in Russia who still cares?

Surely they know by now what elections are all about - and that it doesn't matter a hoot who's president in regard to international politics.

Captain Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.
Old 27 Mar 12, 09:15
General of the Forums
Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowygerry View Post
Is there anyone in Russia who still cares?

Surely they know by now what elections are all about - and that it doesn't matter a hoot who's president in regard to international politics.
I would agree it would not change much as "presidential elections" in the US are a dog and pony show for the masses and few things change for real. However, if a dangerous nutcase who hates Russia to the bone has the chance of getting elected POTUS, it is still a matter of concern.

Old 27 Mar 12, 09:32
General of the Forums
Belgium

Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Honestly -

presidential elections are all the same - I'm sure you remember the Putin tantrum thrown not so long ago

Most likely Romney doesn't care - anything said in any election campaign is 99% for internal use.

Countries that big aren't run by the president they're just figureheads - the largest common denominator etc - presenting an external enemy always works.

Captain Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.
Old 27 Mar 12, 13:37
Gunnery Sergeant
UK

Rob Connolly is on the path to success [1-99] Rob Connolly is on the path to success [1-99] Rob Connolly is on the path to success [1-99] Rob Connolly is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShAA View Post
I would agree it would not change much as "presidential elections" in the US are a dog and pony show for the masses and few things change for real. However, if a dangerous nutcase who hates Russia to the bone has the chance of getting elected POTUS, it is still a matter of concern.
Oh Foo! Ronald Reagan got elected and you're still alive!

Besides, I refuse to believe that a country which spawned Tchaikovsky, the Strugatsky brothers and Andrei Tarkovsky can be completely evil.

(on the debit side there is Ta Tu ....)
Old 27 Mar 12, 14:56
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Sami
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Anything wrong with Ta tu?

Damn it Erkki that was low...

On topic...

Ah yes, another Rusphobe but at least he is honest that... simplifies things.

Max Sterner

Last edited by Erkki; 27 Mar 12 at 15:01..
Old 27 Mar 12, 15:29
General of the Forums
Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowygerry View Post
Honestly -

presidential elections are all the same - I'm sure you remember the Putin tantrum thrown not so long ago

Most likely Romney doesn't care - anything said in any election campaign is 99% for internal use.

Countries that big aren't run by the president they're just figureheads - the largest common denominator etc - presenting an external enemy always works.
Ok, let's try a different approach - why does the West believe that Iran is really going to wipe Israel off the map only because Ahmadinejad said so? Why is every his word taken for face value while the words of US officials should be discounted? Which criterion or which rule of thumb should I use to determine who's talking BS and who means business?

When the US finally builds a proper ABM shield around Russia to prevent its retaliatory strike and sends an ultimatum to Putin to dance to its fiddle or else (like it's done to Serbia and others), will you pay me a compensation for believing your words that the US has never been serious about its threats?

As a side note, I for one believe Ahmadinejad's loud rhetoric is purely for internal consumption - incidentally it's also very convenient for the US to have such bogeyman as a pretext for stirring up international conflicts for its own purposes.

Old 27 Mar 12, 15:29
Banned
Russia

stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Connolly View Post
I refuse to believe that a country which spawned Tchaikovsky, the Strugatsky brothers and Andrei Tarkovsky can be completely evil
i refuse to believe that you level the former first with the latter two... should have been: tchaikovsky, tolstoy, eisenstein - if we go by a composer/writer/filmdirector definition.
Sponsored Links

Old 27 Mar 12, 15:47
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
I agree, Romney should be more careful in his speech. However, I would not take what he says too seriously - I don't. He was my Governor for 4 years - I knew even before he started running for President 6 years ago that he was a flip-flopper.

I do think he spoke too freely recently about attacking Iran - I found this scary. I think President Obama at this point is a lot more trustworthy on this topic. As your post said, Us policy tends not to change too much based upon who is President. In my book, that is a good thing. That being said, I certainly feel we should focus more on our relationship with Russia, and show Russia more respect.
Old 27 Mar 12, 15:47
General of the Forums
Belgium
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Ok, let's try a different approach - why does the West believe that Iran is really going to wipe Israel off the map only because Ahmadinejad said so? Why is every his word taken for face value while the words of US officials should be discounted? Which criterion or which rule of thumb should I use to determine who's talking BS and who means business?

When the US finally builds a proper ABM shield around Russia to prevent its retaliatory strike and sends an ultimatum to Putin to dance to its fiddle or else (like it's done to Serbia and others), will you pay me a compensation for believing your words that the US has never been serious about its threats?

As a side note, I for one believe Ahmadinejad's loud rhetoric is purely for internal consumption - incidentally it's also very convenient for the US to have such bogeyman as a pretext for stirring up international conflicts for its own purposes.

We must admit that he is i a difficult position to say something of good about Russia. Looking at his potential electors here at the forums, it's clear that he will be seen as a commie sympathiser.
Old 27 Mar 12, 15:51
General of the Forums
Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Connolly View Post
Oh Foo! Ronald Reagan got elected and you're still alive!
Well, he actually came close to provoking a nuclear exchange, don't you remember?

Quote:
Besides, I refuse to believe that a country which spawned Tchaikovsky, the Strugatsky brothers and Andrei Tarkovsky can be completely evil.

Congratulations, you're one of the 0,000001% of people living in the West who knows about the latter three. The majority tends to believe this, only without a hint of the tongue-in-cheek sarcasm. At the present I'm trying to indentify the main factors which lead to this thoroughly negative attitude, because no matter what you consider, whether it's human rights violations, CO2 emissions, human trafficking or support of anti-Western terrorism, Russia doesn't even make it to the top 20.

Old 27 Mar 12, 15:53
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
Quote:

I take the Iranians very seriously when they say they want to wipe Israel off the map. I have no reason to doubt it whatsoever. If there is not hatred there, why did the large Jewish community in Iran have to leave in the 20 ro 30 years after WW II? (actually, part of the answer I think is some people wanted to seize the wealth that had to be left behind.

Russia and every country deserves respect. So does the US. So does Israel. Iran doesn't show a whole hell of a lot.

I see no reason to "try to read tea leaves" and try to postulate that there are moderates in Iran who have to play to the mullahs" blah blah blah. I saw this game already in 1979 and 1980.
Old 27 Mar 12, 16:09
General of the Forums
Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emtos View Post
We must admit that he is i a difficult position to say something of good about Russia. Looking at his potential electors here at the forums, it's clear that he will be seen as a commie sympathiser.
Massena must be his senior advisor, Exorcist is his aide, Trailboss49 is his security thug and Destroyer25 is an intern at his office

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!