StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Warfare by Other Means > Spy Wars

Notices and Announcements

Spy Wars Reconnaissance, deception and intelligence are all vital aspects of warfare, ancient and modern - discuss these aspects here!

Old 06 Mar 12, 21:39
Private
Australia

Wukong is on the path to success [1-99]
What exactly do "spies" really do?

I'm not really sure. There's a lot of info on spies but I'm not sure if all that info is real. It seems to me a lot of info is fictional James Bond stuff.

Currently, my knowledge of real life spies consists of the following:

Spies are Intelligence Officers. The role of spies is mainly surveillance and analysis of various issues. Maybe some field work for certain officers. Field work isn't as exciting as Mission Impossible but can sometimes consist of life threatening situations hence the career's issuing of firearms and combat training.

Anyone care to elaborate or provide more info?
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 06 Mar 12, 21:47
General of the Forums
Armchair_General
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300]
Spies spy on people.

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"
Old 06 Mar 12, 21:58
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Yoshikawa Takao, pure spy.
Old 06 Mar 12, 23:30
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
Wellington sums it up. Spies are recruited by intelligence officers. In the great majority of cases they are natives of the country in which an intelligence agency is operating, and have been recruited for their access to information of interest to a foreign power. They are recruited and trained by handlers (or 'case officers'), who are agents of that foreign power. These handlers can be divided into two classes: Persons with official cover, i.e., in possession of a diplomatic passport, and persons without official cover, i.e. clandestine agents, who have no diplomatic immunity if caught. The handler or case officer will be a person fully training in recruiting agents, assessing their capabilities in obtaining information, training them in the necessary tradecraft for carrying out their operations and in delivering their reports to their handler via dead drops or other means. It is the case officer or handler who performs an initial evaluation of the information to ensure it meets the reporting criteria, and passes a finished report into the proper reporting channels.

Ergo, the spy is generally a citizen of the nation on whom he or she is reporting, though there are occasions when the spy is a third country national working in or reporting on the target country. (Example, a military attache or diplomat of a third nation stationed in the target country) If the spy or 'asset' is particularly valuable, the case officer may also be responsible for developing an escape plan to get his spy to safety in the event of a compromise.

Spies produce "humint" or "human intelligence", which is but one slice of the intelligence spectrum.The United States relies primarily upon technical intelligence means, i.e. communications intercepts, imagery intelligence and other 'ints' to back up humint reporting. Some would say they are too reliant upon technical intelligence gathering means. Analysts are generally far up the chain from agents and spies. Their job is gather the humint reports, compare them with other intelligence products, and make assessments that appear in "all source intelligence reports" and 'summaries' which guide operational planners and operators. They also identify holes or lacunas in the intelligence provided, or reporting needed, and generate further collection requirements which eventually trickle down to the spy for further collection and reporting.

Spies should not be confused with covert or clandestine action agents, whose job is to carry out operations a la Jason Bourne, the Rainbow Warrior, and the North Korean Rangoon bombing (this last carried out by a four man Reconnaissance Bureau Recon Team introduced into Burma as civilian crewmembers of an NK ship, where it was equipped, armed, and directed by a female member of the NK Embassy operating under diplomatic cover.

Phong trần mi một lưỡi gươm, Những loi gi o ti cơm s g!

Last edited by lirelou; 06 Mar 12 at 23:44..
Old 06 Mar 12, 23:30
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900] Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900]
Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900] Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900] Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900] Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900] Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900] Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900] Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900] Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900] Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900]
They're going to gather information on their enemy and try to determine the strengths and weaknesses of that enemy. They'll attempt to get as much classified information as they can. They'll try to recruit others to work for them to obtain the information they need. They might be involved with covert operations as well. Below are links to CNN interviews with 2 spies who spied against the United States and they talk about their methods and what they were attempting to do. I think both interviews are very informative. The first link is an interview with Oleg Kalugin a former KGB General, and the second interview is with Markus Wolf who was in charge of HVA the East German equivalent of the KGB.

http://web.archive.org/web/200008290...views/kalugin/

http://web.archive.org/web/200008170...terviews/wolf/
Old 07 Mar 12, 08:44
Private
Australia

Wukong is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington95 View Post
Spies spy on people.

You're a real Sherlock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirelou View Post
Wellington sums it up. Spies are recruited by intelligence officers. In the great majority of cases they are natives of the country in which an intelligence agency is operating, and have been recruited for their access to information of interest to a foreign power. They are recruited and trained by handlers (or 'case officers'), who are agents of that foreign power. These handlers can be divided into two classes: Persons with official cover, i.e., in possession of a diplomatic passport, and persons without official cover, i.e. clandestine agents, who have no diplomatic immunity if caught. The handler or case officer will be a person fully training in recruiting agents, assessing their capabilities in obtaining information, training them in the necessary tradecraft for carrying out their operations and in delivering their reports to their handler via dead drops or other means. It is the case officer or handler who performs an initial evaluation of the information to ensure it meets the reporting criteria, and passes a finished report into the proper reporting channels.

Ergo, the spy is generally a citizen of the nation on whom he or she is reporting, though there are occasions when the spy is a third country national working in or reporting on the target country. (Example, a military attache or diplomat of a third nation stationed in the target country) If the spy or 'asset' is particularly valuable, the case officer may also be responsible for developing an escape plan to get his spy to safety in the event of a compromise.

Spies produce "humint" or "human intelligence", which is but one slice of the intelligence spectrum.The United States relies primarily upon technical intelligence means, i.e. communications intercepts, imagery intelligence and other 'ints' to back up humint reporting. Some would say they are too reliant upon technical intelligence gathering means. Analysts are generally far up the chain from agents and spies. Their job is gather the humint reports, compare them with other intelligence products, and make assessments that appear in "all source intelligence reports" and 'summaries' which guide operational planners and operators. They also identify holes or lacunas in the intelligence provided, or reporting needed, and generate further collection requirements which eventually trickle down to the spy for further collection and reporting.

Spies should not be confused with covert or clandestine action agents, whose job is to carry out operations a la Jason Bourne, the Rainbow Warrior, and the North Korean Rangoon bombing (this last carried out by a four man Reconnaissance Bureau Recon Team introduced into Burma as civilian crewmembers of an NK ship, where it was equipped, armed, and directed by a female member of the NK Embassy operating under diplomatic cover.
Great reply

So what sort of chain is there?
Old 17 Aug 12, 03:16
Lieutenant Colonel
UK

Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99]
There are different types of spies: intelligence operators, walk-ons and informants. Yours truely had to stare down the barrel of a loaded gun at an early age (still in high school) to avoid some meatheads torpedoing my plans to rescue a kidnapped American three houses down from where I lived. The case of Claude Fly.

Then I was employed by a company; Baird-Atomic of 125 Middlesex Turnpike, Bedford MA USA. They had a lucrative contract making tank nightviewfinders for the Pentagon. The International Group of the Spectroscopy Division. was stealing them and trading them to Russia. The International group was also trafficking in cocaine from Colombia to New York. I gave the information to get these people arrested. However it did not do my career any good, but my conscience is clean

Last edited by Nickuru; 17 Aug 12 at 03:18.. Reason: syntax
Old 17 Aug 12, 04:12
General of the Forums
Scotland
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700]
the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Bleed to death in filthy back alleys.
Old 17 Aug 12, 04:19
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
They're going to gather information on their enemy and try to determine the strengths and weaknesses of that enemy
We have caught a few from our "friends" as well.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

'half-baked, spurious nationalism'
Old 17 Aug 12, 05:26
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500]
skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint John View Post
We have caught a few from our "friends" as well.
That's a good point. Sure ain't much of a stretch to say everyone spies on everyone else.

Old 17 Aug 12, 05:45
ACG Forums - Field Marshall
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Model Forum Group Build SPQR Campaign 

Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickuru View Post
There are different types of spies: intelligence operators, walk-ons and informants. Yours truely had to stare down the barrel of a loaded gun at an early age (still in high school) to avoid some meatheads torpedoing my plans to rescue a kidnapped American three houses down from where I lived. The case of Claude Fly.

Then I was employed by a company; Baird-Atomic of 125 Middlesex Turnpike, Bedford MA USA. They had a lucrative contract making tank nightviewfinders for the Pentagon. The International Group of the Spectroscopy Division. was stealing them and trading them to Russia. The International group was also trafficking in cocaine from Colombia to New York. I gave the information to get these people arrested. However it did not do my career any good, but my conscience is clean
It takes a true spy to find and awaken this spy thread after five months. I thought that Nikita had eliminated all of BA Middlesex and the SD. Your conscience may be clear, but I suggest you do not ever again lift your toilet seat or use your microwave oven. Throw away your cell phone, unless it is an iPhone4S which you shall send to me at the undisclosed address.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg
Old 19 Aug 12, 05:02
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon SPQR Campaign 

Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800]
Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800]
My understanding is it is a person who provides intelligence to another power against their own country.
Old 19 Aug 12, 11:41
Lord Of The English Manor
UK
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoka Girl View Post
My understanding is it is a person who provides intelligence to another power against their own country.
There are different terms for that - not spy. Terms like 'asset', etc. My understanding is a 'spy' gathers intelligence to give to his OWN country.

Spies are patriots. Assets are traitors.

Philip
Old 19 Aug 12, 15:01
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300]

Have sex.
Play poker.
Drink Vodka.

Sounds like a Monday night to me.
I should have The Agency.
Old 11 Oct 12, 02:32
Lieutenant Colonel
UK

Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post

Have sex.
Play poker.
Drink Vodka.

Sounds like a Monday night to me.
I should have The Agency.
Spy work is like science, you must pay careful attention to detail. Once you have the main ideas, you then have to carefully sort out the details. Unlike a scientist, who is not in danger unless there is blatant violation of safety procedures; a spy is in danger at all times. A spy is also in danger from the people he works for since a mole from the enemy may be betraying you. Think of Kim Philby, son of a great archeologist Sir Henry Philby. He betrayed so many British operations during the cold war, that he sent dozens to their deaths. Always keep silent about what you do.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!