StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > MMO Games > World of Tanks

Notices and Announcements

World of Tanks Discuss the game and the Armchair General WoT clan.

Old 10 Feb 12, 17:57
Zombie Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500]
Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500]
NA Server - Post your name here if you want to friend-up

I'm opening a new thread for anyone on the NA server who wants to play with other members of ACG from time to time as part of a 2 or 3-man platoon. If we had enough in our friend list we might even be able to set up a full tank company and go out and fight other tank companies.

I'll start off. siberian_HEAT is my handle.
Primarily play TDs in the US (up to T28) and German line (up to JT). Also have a wide variety of lesser tanks with some of my current favorites being;

SU-26
T-50-2 (a speedboat with a speedy 57mm gun)
Tiger
KV/107

Put me in your friend list and I'll look for you out there!

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 10 Feb 12, 19:42
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Model Forum Group Build 

Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I am Desert_Fox2. (I hated having to butcher my name like that.) Feel free to add me to your friends list, and it would be great to platoon with all of you! I am trying to work on getting my kills up. I normally knock down a guy a good way then a heavy comes up behind me and finishes him off with one shot.

Right now I have a

MkVII Tetrarch
T-127
M7 Priest
PzKpfw III/IV
T-50
T-46
Hetzer

Siberian, does the T-50-2 lose many credits in a game?
Old 10 Feb 12, 21:58
Captain
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99]
Sirdano
M41
AT25T
M6
t20

Since work is slow I mainly play at night 7pm-7am central time. Wednesday to sunday
Old 13 Feb 12, 10:21
Zombie Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500]
Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Reb View Post

Siberian, does the T-50-2 lose many credits in a game?
It is pretty much a break even for me. But it is worth whatever the cost because it is like a speedboat out there. It can carry the same 57mm that comes with the Russian T34, which you may or may not know is like a chain gun in terms of reload speed and accuracy. So, with the speed of the T50-2 and the lethality of the t34 it can be pretty deadly within its tier. I put camo and binos on it too, and my greatest achievement was sitting a few hundred yards away plinking the side hull of a T34 (USA Tier IX), and whittling him away to nothing. I'm not sure he ever saw me or else didn't think a mere scout was a threat.

To put it in perspective I pretty much hated the Leopard, M5, and T50 because scouting just wasn't my thing. The T-50-2 is like scouting on steroids. In a recent post by Wargaming.net they hinted they might remove it at some point because it is too OP. If you are close, get it just to try it!

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.
Old 14 Feb 12, 11:00
Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian HEAT View Post
....The T-50-2 is like scouting on steroids. In a recent post by Wargaming.net they hinted they might remove it at some point because it is too OP. If you are close, get it just to try it!
To be precise, in “You ask, We reply” #9 Wargaming.net stated: "Currently only T-50-2 has shown that it is better than the other scouts. In a few areas it is much better than the other Tier 5 lights. It will be either slightly reduced in effectiveness or replaced."

I have researched the T-50-2 but haven't yet purchased it. I probably should.
Old 14 Feb 12, 11:04
Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300]
Posted in wrong place. Sorry.

Last edited by Greybriar; 14 Feb 12 at 13:38..
Old 18 Feb 12, 19:00
Second Lieutenant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Pfc TAZ is on the path to success [1-99] Pfc TAZ is on the path to success [1-99] Pfc TAZ is on the path to success [1-99]
This game has got me hooked. I'm Snaekolf and I currently have the following:

Tiger 2
M26 Pershing
IS
T-34/85
Slugger
M5
Stug III
SU-26

I'm primarily focused on the Russian & German heavy, U.S. and Russian medium trees.
"Nations are never content to confine their rivalships and enmities to themselves. It is their usual policy to disseminate them as widely, as they can, regardless how far it may interfere with the tranquility or happiness of the nations which they are able to influence." -- Alexander Hamilton
Old 18 Feb 12, 20:49
General of the Forums
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
I probably won't be playing a whole lot, and I don't have all that high tiered tanks, but if you're interested I'm Super_Six_4

I have:

-SU-76
-Pz II (will be sold for either Pz III or Luchs...not sure which)
-M37
-Rennault (I dink around with it to get extra credits and exp)
-T2 Medium Tank
-M3 Stuart

I think that's it.

--Hávamál
Old 19 Feb 12, 16:21
Brigadier General
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Added everyone.

I'm CometA34.

Feel free to buzz me for a game.
Old 19 Feb 12, 18:16
General of the Forums
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie View Post
Added everyone.

I'm CometA34.

Feel free to buzz me for a game.
I'll have to log in later then-thanks

--Hávamál
Sponsored Links

Old 22 Feb 12, 15:36
General of the Forums
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six 4 View Post
I probably won't be playing a whole lot, and I don't have all that high tiered tanks, but if you're interested I'm Super_Six_4

I have:

-SU-76
-Pz II (will be sold for either Pz III or Luchs...not sure which)
-M37
-Rennault (I dink around with it to get extra credits and exp)
-T2 Medium Tank
-M3 Stuart

I think that's it.
UPDATE:

I sold and bought some tanks, so now I have:

-SU-76
-Pz III A
-M37
-Rennault
-BT-2
-M3 Stuart
-Pz38Hf[insert rest of number here]

I don't think i'm missing any. I sold my T2 Medium to get a BT-2 so I could go for the T-34 (a tier V I believe), but my primary Tier V goal is the Panzer IV, so that's why I sold my Pz II for a III A.

--Hávamál
Old 22 Feb 12, 16:34
Brigadier General
Pirate

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
The PzIV is OK but the stock engine and gun is awful. You need the fully upgraded engine with the long 75mm gun before it picks up and after that you have to mount the "Darth Vader" turret if you want the bigger guns. The T-34 was also a disappointment for me - poor armour, poor gun, OK speed. Both give me poor match-ups

IMHO, the US Sherman is the tier V medium to aim for as it has good speed and two good guns. The 105mm is my favourite and it allows the Sherman to fight above its tier better than others. Plus, the Sherman then leads on to the great Easy 8 and superb Sherman Jumbo. The Jumbo is my favourite as it combines good frontal armour with the 105mm gun and decent speed. In some games I've been able to hold off a few enemy tanks because their guns couldn't penetrate my frontal armour (if you go for the Sherman, don't upgrade the turret on the Jumbo. The stock one is the best). That won't always be the case, luck plays a part too, but it's a very good tank.

Last edited by Mackie; 22 Feb 12 at 16:42..
Old 23 Feb 12, 00:02
General of the Forums
Pirate

Quote:
The PzIV is OK but the stock engine and gun is awful. You need the fully upgraded engine with the long 75mm gun before it picks up and after that you have to mount the "Darth Vader" turret if you want the bigger guns. The T-34 was also a disappointment for me - poor armour, poor gun, OK speed. Both give me poor match-ups

IMHO, the US Sherman is the tier V medium to aim for as it has good speed and two good guns. The 105mm is my favourite and it allows the Sherman to fight above its tier better than others. Plus, the Sherman then leads on to the great Easy 8 and superb Sherman Jumbo. The Jumbo is my favourite as it combines good frontal armour with the 105mm gun and decent speed. In some games I've been able to hold off a few enemy tanks because their guns couldn't penetrate my frontal armour (if you go for the Sherman, don't upgrade the turret on the Jumbo. The stock one is the best). That won't always be the case, luck plays a part too, but it's a very good tank.
Hmm thanks for the advice! One of my friends just said to make a bee line for a tier 5 and I had already been debating over getting the Luchs or Pz III A, so after some advice from him and looking at the tech tree, I got he Pz III A and so began my quest for the Pz IV. I hadn't really considered going for the Sherman-I think perhaps I rushed the decision for a Tier 5 goal. I'll try to look at the tech tree but do you know if you can get to the Sherman through the M3 Stuart? I want to say you can but I can't remember well-been a long time since I looked at that part of the tree.

--Hávamál
Old 23 Feb 12, 10:43
Brigadier General
Pirate

You can get to the Easy 8 through the Stuart line but I wouldn't recommend since it just leads to that one tank and if you don't like being a scout for your team then it won't be much fun.

I remember that to get the PzIV I had to be a scout with the 38na and it was a horrible grind. The top speed on the tank was good but acceleration was just too poor which meant you got to the middle of the map at the same time as higher tier mediums who also have better visibility than the 38na. The result was death within the first couple of minutes.
Old 23 Feb 12, 10:55
General of the Forums
Pirate

Quote:
You can get to the Easy 8 through the Stuart line but I wouldn't recommend since it just leads to that one tank and if you don't like being a scout for your team then it won't be much fun.

I remember that to get the PzIV I had to be a scout with the 38na and it was a horrible grind. The top speed on the tank was good but acceleration was just too poor which meant you got to the middle of the map at the same time as higher tier mediums who also have better visibility than the 38na. The result was death within the first couple of minutes.
Yeah I didn't go THAT route luckily.

--Hávamál

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!