HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Weapons of War

Notices and Announcements

Weapons of War The machinery of warfare. .

Old 16 Jan 12, 14:55
Brigadier General
United_States

Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200]
Self defense pistol against Mountain Lions

Here in the Rocky Mountains its not uncommon for mountain lions to attack humans, usually small children and human pets. But should I encounter a starving mother mountain lion and I am in between it and its litter what pistol would you trust to kill a mountain lion with one shot?

I was thinking a semi-auto .45 ACP should do the trick but what of other rounds like .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .380 ACP, .40 S&W and 9mm?

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 16 Jan 12, 15:00
Brigadier General
United_States

Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200]
Another requirement is that the pistol have a barrel over 3.5" and cost less than $300.
Old 16 Jan 12, 15:24
General of the Forums
United_States
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 
Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pistols take a lot of training to be able to hit anything. When the target is moving even more and it starts to become a matter of luck as well if you hit it.

If God wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates.*

NO one wins a war!!!! They just lose less.
Old 16 Jan 12, 15:47
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon CWiE 1939-45 Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frtigern View Post
Another requirement is that the pistol have a barrel over 3.5" and cost less than $300.
Jeez... looks like a shotgun probably is your best option.

In pawn shops I have seen a couple S&W 40 cal for 350$, with the right ammo that might do the job. Nothing else fits the bill today, pistols are severely over-priced.

Maybe you should get a Ruger super-Blackhawk, if it's over 100 yards away you could still clip it with one of those.
-The Exorcist

Old 16 Jan 12, 15:51
General of the Forums
United_States
March Offensive 5 Year Service Ribbon CWiE 1939-45 Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100]
TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100]
Quote:
Don't take this the wrong way, but unless you're trying to buy a POS, you can't meet that last requirement. I haven't bought a good pistol new for less than 400 dollars in years. .22s don't count.

If you're really worried about grizzlies and mountain lions, I'd recommend something in no less than .357Magnum, and preferably better. Go to pawn shops and look at 4-6" barrelled revolvers in .357 and .44 Magnum calibers. 357 has a small advantage that you can shoot .38 special loads for practice or 'small snakes (humans)', while giving you the ability to upload significantly before moving into the woods.

IIRC if a mountain lion is inside pistol-shot range, he's likely going to kill you, unless you did something unusual to startle him. Therefore, you want a pistol that will put him down in 1 shot. Even if it's not a kill you want to temporarily disable him with the first round so you can follow it up and save your arse. You won't have the time to burn off more than 6 rounds, and you need the individual firepower.

Personally, I'd say go with a shotgun loaded with 00Buck or slug, preferably slug, or a rifle. Shotgun is prefered if you're not much of a shooter, as it's more forgiving. Either a 12 Gauge shotgun or a .270 or better rifle will kill a mountain lion.

For pistols, look for Smith and Wesson Revolvers in K-N Frames, Calibers .357-.44, there are some other hunting calibers, like .454 Casull that will also work well for this application but they're more rare and expensive bullets and recoil is also heavier. You can also look for Ruger Revolvers in the same range of calibers. Both manufacturers make very good revolvers, and you can likely find some used. One possibility is to check out law enforcement surplus, as some agencies are still getting rid of .357 revolvers for autos, and their revolvers will likely be cheaper than buying new. Be Very Wary about purchasing a firearm from a non-reputable manufacturer, as not only can these fail when you need them, they can also be dangerous to handle (personal experience of the safety on a Jimenez .380 not working. Fortunately for me there were no rounds in the weapon). I've only given you 2 manufacturers, but both are arguably the Best in the business of large-caliber revolvers.

Lt. Dan, Company XO and sometimes Armored Car commander.
Old 16 Jan 12, 16:24
Brigadier General
United_States

Thanks TacCovert, I considered a shotgun but a shot gun is something you carry, while a pistol is just on you. Also for drawing, aiming and firing a pistol is quicker. I was thinking a Mossberg 500 without a stock over my shoulder would be almost as quick.

If I had the money I wish I could drop it on a really nice .44 magnum. Revolvers always seem cheaper than autos and good idea for looking for Police surplus .357 revolvers. What do you think of the 7.63x38R's stopping power? like those in these Nagant revolvers:
Old 16 Jan 12, 16:31
General of the Forums
United_States
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 
Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Thanks TacCovert, I considered a shotgun but a shot gun is something you carry, while a pistol is just on you. Also for drawing, aiming and firing a pistol is quicker. I was thinking a Mossberg 500 without a stock over my shoulder would be almost as quick.

If I had the money I wish I could drop it on a really nice .44 magnum. Revolvers always seem cheaper than autos and good idea for looking for Police surplus .357 revolvers. What do you think of the 7.63x38R's stopping power? like those in these Nagant revolvers:
IMO if your worrying about running into a cat then your better off with a gun in your hands and not in a holster. Unless your a quick draw artist. Pack both if you wish but for me, give me the shotgun with OO loads. Might not be good for a Griz but enough for a cat.

If God wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates.*

NO one wins a war!!!! They just lose less.
Old 16 Jan 12, 16:41
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Quote:
Here in the Rocky Mountains its not uncommon for mountain lions to attack humans, usually small children and human pets. But should I encounter a starving mother mountain lion and I am in between it and its litter what pistol would you trust to kill a mountain lion with one shot?

I was thinking a semi-auto .45 ACP should do the trick but what of other rounds like .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .380 ACP, .40 S&W and 9mm?
In my part of the Rockies we have both mountain lions and bears.

I recommend at least a .357 Magnum with hollow point ammo, but you won't find one at that price. Personally, i would go with a .44 Mag for the increase in stopping power.
My own answer to both issues has always been a 12ga Savage pump action shotgun, law enforcement model (22 in barrel) with an eight round magazine loaded with alternating 00 Buck and .50 call solid slugs. That load will stop a pickup truck in it's tracks, and it will for damned sure stop a lion or a bear.

However, for convenience sake I am in the market right now for a large caliber handgun
to carry while Geo-Caching, in order to leave both hands free.

GUN CONTROL IS HAVING THE RIGHT GRIP.

Last edited by Mountain Man; 16 Jan 12 at 16:45..
Old 16 Jan 12, 16:48
Captain
Pirate

surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99]

Nothing less

- Radio London opening intro
Old 16 Jan 12, 17:02
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
I want one of these:

Sponsored Links

Old 16 Jan 12, 18:32
Lieutenant Colonel
Finland

Tiberius Duval is on the path to success [1-99] Tiberius Duval is on the path to success [1-99] Tiberius Duval is on the path to success [1-99] Tiberius Duval is on the path to success [1-99] Tiberius Duval is on the path to success [1-99] Tiberius Duval is on the path to success [1-99] Tiberius Duval is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:

Don't know much about mountain lions, but old Nagant if I remember correct was somewhat underpowered even for two legged opponents, I wouldn't recommend it for any kind of self defence.
Old 16 Jan 12, 18:41
General of the Forums
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500]
101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500]
You'll want something that you won't get tried of carrying. If you think that maybe an issue I would select a revolver over an automatic and something that fits in a fanny pack. I would also go with a compact in .38 Special at minimum. Some .38 Special revolvers are also rated to fire .357 Magnum which gives you the option of going to a larger caliber if needed. It also gives you the flexibility to practice at the range with the less powerful .38 Special. I would also go for a shrouded hammer if possible, this will prevent the hammer from getting snagged while drawing. You can also go with an Airweight if you feel you need a lighter pistol.

Old 16 Jan 12, 19:39
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Bwaha gives and gets respect [800]
Bwaha gives and gets respect [800] Bwaha gives and gets respect [800] Bwaha gives and gets respect [800] Bwaha gives and gets respect [800] Bwaha gives and gets respect [800] Bwaha gives and gets respect [800] Bwaha gives and gets respect [800] Bwaha gives and gets respect [800] Bwaha gives and gets respect [800] Bwaha gives and gets respect [800] Bwaha gives and gets respect [800] Bwaha gives and gets respect [800] Bwaha gives and gets respect [800] Bwaha gives and gets respect [800] Bwaha gives and gets respect [800]
.41 magnum.

If you care to fire the best...

Old 16 Jan 12, 19:50
General of the Forums
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500]
101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwaha View Post
.41 magnum.

If you care to fire the best...

Not a copy of the Colt Single Action Army.... I think it is.
Old 16 Jan 12, 19:56
Lieutenant General
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

skiplc has a spectacular aura about [400]
skiplc has a spectacular aura about [400] skiplc has a spectacular aura about [400] skiplc has a spectacular aura about [400] skiplc has a spectacular aura about [400] skiplc has a spectacular aura about [400] skiplc has a spectacular aura about [400]
Now just what makes that the best Bwaha?

You shotgunners out there...consider substituting #1 buck for 00. Pellets are nearly the same size with more per shell.

And forget a shotgun with only a pistol grip stock; a full stock is easier to carry, faster, and much more controllable.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!