HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War II

Notices and Announcements

World War II Discuss WW2. .

Old 31 Jan 12, 16:19
Private First Class
United_States

Inspector71 is on the path to success [1-99]
I came to the right place

Wow, this was the right place to ask the question. I remembered my professor, who was absolutely brilliant, told us Marshall had been discredited. Unfortunately, my professor passed away at age 46. My initial interest was inspired by Ltc.David Grossman's book On Killing, he states that what Marshall demonstrated was true and was true for all wars including the Civil War (15% of the men doing all the shooting and killing). He says it was true for combat pilots in WW II as well. He says this did not change until Vietnam. He suggests this was also true in the ancient world as well. Now I am not well versed on military history but the notion of only 15% of Roman soldiers doing the killing and fighting, remember, Grossman says this is true then as well, seems a bit of a stretch. But I also recognize I am far from an authority and could be wrong. I will check those sources out and your discussions are greatly appreciated.
Old 31 Jan 12, 16:32
Private First Class
United_States

Inspector71 is on the path to success [1-99]
One more observation

Again, I salute you all for your extensive knowledge. This has been a big help for me. Not to nitpick, but in Grossman's introduction he suggested a reliance in his approach to Freud and then even mentioned Alfred Kinsey both of whom to a greater or lesser degree, have been discredited. He relied a great deal on Freud throughout the book. In addition he aruges that we have been a sexually repressed society which leads to the problems associated and described in his book. I thought his argument when have been tighter if he had left out Freud, Kinsely, and discussions on sexual repression (something I don't think any era has successfully suppressed). And, of course, he relies heavily on Marshall which, if discredited, all of the above would call into question his work. As an aside, a gun-rights activist gave me the book because Grossman teaches some sort of self defense seminar, but, in the conclusions to Grossman's book, he makes a pitch for what could be described as gun-control through disarmament. I thought that was strange unless I misread it.
Old 01 Feb 12, 16:50
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Saigon View Post
Col. David Hackworth talked about Marshall in his book, "About Face", where he discussed Marshall's credibility. He actually worked with Marshall on some of his Vietnam stuff. Hackworth called into question Marshall's methods and conclusions and wasn't very complimentary of both his work, and the way he used his reputation.

I am convinced that Hackworth was correct about Marshall and generally give his writings on Vietnam little credibility. At one time perhaps he knew his stuff and was good, but by Vietnam he was just a shameless self promoter who was more interested in his own celebrity than getting the facts right.
Hackworth got many things right, but I've heard/seen some fairly ignorant things from him as well.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!