StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > The Middle East > War in Iraq

Notices and Announcements

War in Iraq Operations Desert Storm, Iraqi Freedom and ongoing operations in the region.

Old 20 Dec 11, 10:42
ACG Forums - canis administrationem
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Looking Back on Iraq 2003-2011

I'll start with this Stratfor piece but I'd like to hear from those who've been there. What did you think going in? What was the biggest surprise?

Quote:
The war in Iraq is officially over. Whether it is actually over remains to be seen. All that we know is that U.S. forces have been withdrawn. There is much to be said about the future of Iraq, but it is hard to think of anything that has been left unsaid about the past years of war in Iraq, and true perspective requires the passage of time. It seemed appropriate, therefore, to hear from those at STRATFOR who fought in the war and survived. STRATFOR is graced with seven veterans of the war and one Iraqi who lived through it. It is interesting to me that all of our Iraq veterans were enlisted personnel. I don't know what that means, but it pleases me for some reason. Their short recollections are what STRATFOR has to contribute to the end of the war. It is, I think, far more valuable than anything I could possibly say. ...
This report may be forwarded or republished on your website with attribution
to www.stratfor.com.

Copyright 2011 STRATFOR.
Attached Files
File Type: txt The Iraq War Recollections Geopolitical Weekly.txt (39.0 KB, 1 views)

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 20 Dec 11, 11:14
General of the Forums
France
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
OIF II - Mosul

Thought it was going to be a slow decrease in activity, I figured we would be looking for Saddam, and rounding up small numbers of bad guys and conduct stability operations. That is what we prepared for.

What we got was a full on counter insurgency operation that we were only 75% prepared to fight. Being a Stryker unit and the first on at that, for 2 to 3 years we had been train up only for these urban ops. I'd say we were more prepared than legacy units (in 2003) for this fight. However despite words we heard thrown around on the news like 'quagmire' 'Vietnam' and the like, it never felt like that on the ground. Sure, we took casualties but this was expected and we inflicted much heavier ones and always accomplished our objectives.

Also it didn't take long for legacy units to adapt to the mission and do it well, and in 2003/2004 its not like they were doing a bad job either.
Old 20 Dec 11, 11:19
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Well, tried to go to the College of Agriculture today and the Iraqi would not allow Americans out of the Green Zone.

The Prime Minister has had a warrant taken out against his Vice-President.

Al-Sadyr wants to climb the walls of the US Embassy.

The Kurds has stopped traveling in the southern provinces due to security concerns.

Yep, no problems at all.
Old 20 Dec 11, 11:22
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss49 View Post
Well, tried to go to the College of Agriculture today and the Iraqi would not allow Americans out of the Green Zone.

The Prime Minister has had a warrant taken out against his Vice-President.

Al-Sadyr wants to climb the walls of the US Embassy.

The Kurds has stopped traveling in the southern provinces due to security concerns.

Yep, no problems at all.
Have not heard anyone talking about Iraq not having problems, just the opposite. Only thing that has changed is that they need to figure out the answers amongst themselves, as it should be. They either will or will not, just like any other country.
Old 20 Dec 11, 11:59
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Engineer View Post
Only thing that has changed is that they need to figure out the answers amongst themselves, as it should be. They either will or will not, just like any other country.
I hope they do. So that the almost 5000 US and coalition lives were not lost in vain.

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!
Old 20 Dec 11, 12:30
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Naffenea is simply cracking [600]
Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600]
OND

I didn't like having to carry a card in Arabic saying to leave me alone, and this was in JBB. Granted that was at the end when we let Iraqi's on the camp and were handing buildings over.

I was surprised when I found out that the Ugandans on the perimeter were feeding the hadji's targeting info for the nightly light shows.
Old 20 Dec 11, 12:43
General of the Forums
United_States

Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer86g View Post
I hope they do. So that the almost 5000 US and coalition lives were not lost in vain.
No matter what happens, I'd not feel my service there was in vain. It's in their hands, make it good or not. Doesn't matter to me. If the current crop of Iraqi politicians mucks it up. The population can look at Egypt and Syria and see the solution. Of course the Iraqi have a lot more fire power then the latter two folks do....
Old 20 Dec 11, 13:39
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Engineer View Post
No matter what happens, I'd not feel my service there was in vain. It's in their hands, make it good or not. Doesn't matter to me. If the current crop of Iraqi politicians mucks it up. The population can look at Egypt and Syria and see the solution. Of course the Iraqi have a lot more fire power then the latter two folks do....
I see your point. You set the stage, it's up to them now.

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!
Old 20 Dec 11, 14:27
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer86g View Post
I see your point. You set the stage, it's up to them now.
Yup, me and a multiple 100k others.

They do or they don't. Just don't ask us to come in and clean up.
Old 21 Dec 11, 11:17
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
If it was up to the Iraqis would me one thing. But it isn't. Malaki has sold his soul (if he ever had one) to the Satan Al-Sadyr and Iran is about to call the shots, quite literally.

Old 21 Dec 11, 11:59
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss49 View Post
If it was up to the Iraqis would me one thing. But it isn't. Malaki has sold his soul (if he ever had one) to the Satan Al-Sadyr and Iran is about to call the shots, quite literally.
No different than any other country. You elect who you elect. Parliament shook out they way it did. In 'x' time they can reshuffle the deck.

Iran will only have it's current influence for a short time, 2-3 years. As the Iraqi government, political parties and other actors mature and change the influence will wane. To many conflicting national interest between the two for it to last.
Old 23 Dec 11, 06:14
General of the Forums
United_States

Now, that would be nice if it turned out that way. But, (I always have a 'but' you know) I think you have a Pollyana view.

The Iranians held US diplomats as hostages for 444 days. The Iranians want their Persian empire back and are trying to control the middle east. This they will continue to do until they are defeated militarily. They are already the controling force in the middle east. Their support of Syria (along with Iraq) their support of Hezbollah and other terrorist groups, their infiltration of countries by their elite military forces, their armament and training of those against the US and Israel, their intrusion into Lebanon government, ad infinitum show their very long and very dedicated goal.
Old 23 Dec 11, 10:06
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400]
MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400] MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400]
A question for those who were there: do you think the Iraqi generation that grew up with U.S. soldiers in their country will look back at the stability provided by us and our willingness to help them make their country a better place to live, want that feeling back and actively work towards it? Or is their religion so ingrained into them that there will forever be Sunni/Shiite violence?

"Castles Made Of Sand"-Jimi Hendrix from Axis:Bold As Love 1967
Old 24 Dec 11, 10:34
General of the Forums
United_States

I don't think they look upon the US as the "Great Satan" and many know that we did help them. BUT, many blame the US for leaving and not leaving Iraq with streets of gold and all the problems solved.

Their culture will win out over what the Coalition has done here if it comes down to it. The dummies still refuse to believe we could come back in and roll them up again like we have twice. Their egos know no bounds.
Old 24 Dec 11, 11:43
General
United_States

SGT Long has a spectacular aura about [400]
SGT Long has a spectacular aura about [400] SGT Long has a spectacular aura about [400] SGT Long has a spectacular aura about [400] SGT Long has a spectacular aura about [400] SGT Long has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
OIF II - Mosul

Thought it was going to be a slow decrease in activity, I figured we would be looking for Saddam, and rounding up small numbers of bad guys and conduct stability operations. That is what we prepared for.

What we got was a full on counter insurgency operation that we were only 75% prepared to fight. Being a Stryker unit and the first on at that, for 2 to 3 years we had been train up only for these urban ops. I'd say we were more prepared than legacy units (in 2003) for this fight. However despite words we heard thrown around on the news like 'quagmire' 'Vietnam' and the like, it never felt like that on the ground. Sure, we took casualties but this was expected and we inflicted much heavier ones and always accomplished our objectives.

Also it didn't take long for legacy units to adapt to the mission and do it well, and in 2003/2004 its not like they were doing a bad job either.
I think that's when I started being the lovable fellow I am now on here. Posting FROM Ramadi 04-05 on here and hearing from the left on here that were losing.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!