StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War II

Notices and Announcements

World War II Discuss WW2. .

Old 19 Jul 04, 16:05
General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99]
Re: Re: A couple of possibilities.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tigersqn
Just a little clarification for those searching.

Ther are 2 Maltzahns.
Gunther von Maltzahn commanded Pz Bde 107

Freiherr von Maltzahn was a Luftwaffe officer with 68(?) kills to his credit. Below is his picture.
Now this one looks interesting. Any rank available or a date of photo? Other photos of him available? A bio?

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!
Old 19 Jul 04, 16:07
General
Canada

dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99]
I found a bit of info.

First and foremost he was a Major.

A link available only in Portuguese i think:

http://www.luftwaffe39-45.historia.n...s/maltzahn.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg allemand_potentiel.jpg (26.3 KB, 94 views)

Old 19 Jul 04, 16:10
General
Canada

And another photo and I can see that it's not him. Too bad though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maltzahn.jpg (10.3 KB, 89 views)

Old 19 Jul 04, 16:31
ACG Forums - Air Marshall
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally posted by dannybou
And another photo and I can see that it's not him. Too bad though.
Drat; I thought we were onto the Mystery Luftwaffe officer. Good luck with the search!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Calling Nazis ratzis is an insult to rats around the world.
Old 19 Jul 04, 16:33
General
Canada

Quote:
Originally posted by RichardS
Drat; I thought we were onto the Mystery Luftwaffe officer. Good luck with the search!
Yeah I know, I had a faint hope there for a while.

Sponsored Links

Old 19 Jul 04, 16:38
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally posted by dannybou
Yeah I know, I had a faint hope there for a while.
One of the biggest problems is trying to compare formal vs informal photographs. I'd help more but I'm tapped out on sources that I can think of. :thumb: Keep up the search, Danny. I'm sure the family of the Officer would like the stuff back. Idea. Have you tried the Luftwaffe veterans association...assuming there is any?

Old 19 Jul 04, 17:40
General
Canada

Quote:
Originally posted by RichardS
One of the biggest problems is trying to compare formal vs informal photographs. I'd help more but I'm tapped out on sources that I can think of. :thumb: Keep up the search, Danny. I'm sure the family of the Officer would like the stuff back. Idea. Have you tried the Luftwaffe veterans association...assuming there is any?
No I haven't. Will have to check for that as long as there is resources in english or french.

Old 21 Jul 04, 23:46
Lieutenant General
Canada

Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200]
I haven't been paying much attention to this thread....but I guess I will join in again.....

First of all what is the news from the Canadian/German goverments.....did you try Veterans Affairs...very helpful people there. Secondly, what is the news from your wife's grandfather...what does he remember???

I don't think were going to find this guy on a website or in a book...I think our best chance is going through official channels. But keep trying!:thumb:
Old 22 Jul 04, 09:12
Recruit
United_States

John T is a balanced individual [0]
The Luftwaffe officer in the photos (and in the avatar) is Hans-Joachim Marseille, accidentally killed Sept 30 1942 as a Captain and Staffelkapt of 3./JG 27 near El Alemein.

John
Old 22 Jul 04, 09:50
South_Vietnam

Quote:
Originally posted by John T
The Luftwaffe officer in the photos (and in the avatar) is Hans-Joachim Marseille, accidentally killed Sept 30 1942 as a Captain and Staffelkapt of 3./JG 27 near El Alemein.

John
Kinda hard to be seeing how he was captured in Italy in 45.

Old 22 Jul 04, 11:16
General
Canada

Quote:

John
I've found this website on him:

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/hanstate.html

In looking at the photos and reading his decorations, I believe it's him!! If he was killed in 1942, then I need to speak with Grandfather to confirm where he was and from whom he got the wallet??

Old 22 Jul 04, 12:26
General
Canada

Just got off the phone with Grandfather. He confirms that the wallet was taken from a youth German soldier and not the officer himself. He is going by memory but stated that the POW who had the wallet was related to this German officer, either a brother, or cousin or uncle. I am trying his memory alot. I've told him we probably had an identification and he was very, very happy. I've emailed the author of the previously mentionned website to see if he can concur with my identification.
Sorry for the small confusion, but I am still saying that we have identified my unknown German officer. More to come...

Old 22 Jul 04, 17:01
South_Vietnam

Quote:

John
My apologies, Sir. I misunderstood when the officer was captured. It appears you are correct. It does look like Marseille. I apologize for doubting your identification. It appears you are correct it does appear to be him. I salute your eye and accuracy, Sir.

Old 22 Jul 04, 17:03
General of the Forums
United_States
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400]
BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400]
Barcelona has gone lazy...

Aww no I got to go through all 4 of these to post.... I'm too lazy (and my DSL has gotten a bit finnicky lately)

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte
Old 22 Jul 04, 17:11
South_Vietnam

Re: Barcelona has gone lazy...

Quote:
Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom
Aww no I got to go through all 4 of these to post.... I'm too lazy (and my DSL has gotten a bit finnicky lately)
I'm sure Miss Singapore would welcome anybody who went through all the sections.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg miss_singapore.jpg (43.1 KB, 121 views)

Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!