StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War II

Notices and Announcements

World War II Discuss WW2. .

Old 14 Apr 04, 10:35
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

moondog is on the path to success [1-99]
Facts from Photos

Rstory has done some nice work, however, after looking at the picture of Ernst-Wilhelm Reinert and our mystery officer side-by-side, I believe I can say without a doubt that our mystery officer is NOT Ernst-Wilhelm Reinert.

Our mystery officer has pointed ears (pointed out by Rstory nice catch.....but Ernst-Wilhelm Reinert has rounded ears.

Our mystery officer has a pointed nose as well......but Ernst-Wilhelm Reinert has a rounded nose and upon closer inspection it appears that his nose might have a "split" similar to that of Carl Malden the movie star....only not as prominent.

I am posting the side-by-side I created and if anyone would like to see it larger.....let me know by PM or on this board and I'll e-mail it to you. Our mystery officer is on the left and Ernst-Wilhelm Reinert is on the right.....look carefully at the nose and ears. There ARE other differences.....but these are the most prominent.

dog
Attached Images
File Type: jpg german officers.jpg (48.9 KB, 147 views)
Old 14 Apr 04, 13:32
ACG Forums - Air Marshall
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally posted by dannybou
RStory

I thank you ever so much for your help. I'll definitely look into these persons and let you and the membership know of the outcome. With the info you have provided, I might even resend the photo to the German Embassy with the list of decorations you provided. Again, thanks alot, I appreciated as well as Pte Robert Béland.
Your welcome. Glad to be of some service.

Cheers!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Calling Nazis ratzis is an insult to rats around the world.
Old 14 Apr 04, 13:37
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Re: Facts from Photos

Quote:
Originally posted by moondog

Our mystery officer has pointed ears (pointed out by Rstory nice catch.....but Ernst-Wilhelm Reinert has rounded ears.

Mea Culpa. In the photo of the referance work I was using, Ernst-Wilhem Reinert appears to have pointed ears as it was a straight on shot. In the photo I included; Reinert's head is tilted up and the shot is from below. Anybody got at altering photos to bring the head level? :quest:

My source is: On the Field of Honour: A History of the Knight's Cross Bearers Volume 1 page 241.

Cheers!

Old 18 Apr 04, 12:07
General
Canada

dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99]
With the info I got from you guys, I will submit the photo and possible names, along with list of decorations to the German Embassy again. With this much more info, they might be in a better position to help. Thanks to all.

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!
Old 18 Apr 04, 12:21
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States

moondog is on the path to success [1-99]
Hey Rstory

I wasn't trying to Hammer you ..... sorry if it came out that way.....just trying to be helpful.

dog
Old 18 Apr 04, 15:08
South_Vietnam

Re: Hey Rstory

Quote:
Originally posted by moondog
I wasn't trying to Hammer you ..... sorry if it came out that way.....just trying to be helpful.

dog

No fears. I didn't take it that way at all.

Cheers.

Old 18 Apr 04, 19:25
Major
United_States

eagle101 is on the path to success [1-99]
To all members!!!!!!!!!

The pictures that Danneybou posted have been emailed to a marine base in virgina for indentification, that is if the German Government dose't first!!!

However I know for a fact that the first photos we have seen are unit photos or group shots!!

The German Army always kept a those photos on file the German Government does have them, but they don't want to dig up the past of the Third Reich!!!

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir
Old 17 Jul 04, 14:17
General
Canada

dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99]
Since we have numerous new members, it was suggested I bring this thread back forward to seek more information on the identity of the German officer in my avatar. Large photographs are included in this thread. As some of you will see, quite a bit has been done in an attempt to identify the officer but as of this writing, I have not been succesful yet.

Old 18 Jul 04, 13:38
Brigadier General
United_States

Terry Patterson has demonstrated strength of character [100] Terry Patterson has demonstrated strength of character [100] Terry Patterson has demonstrated strength of character [100] Terry Patterson has demonstrated strength of character [100] Terry Patterson has demonstrated strength of character [100] Terry Patterson has demonstrated strength of character [100] Terry Patterson has demonstrated strength of character [100] Terry Patterson has demonstrated strength of character [100] Terry Patterson has demonstrated strength of character [100]
should'nt there be a listing somewhere of knights cross recipients in the italian campaign?i would'nt think that it would be a very large list.
Old 18 Jul 04, 14:22
General
Canada

Tigersqn is working on the identification as well for me. Any, and I do mean any info would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

Old 18 Jul 04, 23:16
Banned
New_Zealand

Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Too bad you don't have a name first or last Danny. I have a database that lists over 1.2 million german military personnel with photos, it used to be available over the net but has since been taken down and I had to pay over $200 for it. I looked a the photo and I have to assume he was a pilot and not AAA.
Old 18 Jul 04, 23:31
South_Vietnam

Re: A couple of possibilities.

Quote:
Originally posted by RichardS
Facts from photos:
1) Wears RK mit Eichenlauben und schwarten (Knights Cross with Oakleaves and Swords)

2) Wears Deutches Kreuz in Gold

3) Rank appears to be from Oberstleutenant to Oberst. (Could be Hauptman or Oberleutenant but shoulderboards looked to be swirled pattern rather than straight for juniour officers.)

4) Wears Pilot/Observers badge.

5) Has pointed rather than rounded ears.

6) Appears to have a narrow nose and hawk like face.

Facts supplied by the moderator.

1) Captured in 1944 (45?) by Canadians in Italy.

Problems
Lack of uniform details besides what is already noted.

Comparison photos I used where "formal" poses and not natural poses.

I found nobody that matched 100% of the facts, but I believe the officer to be: Ernst-Wilhelm Reinert.

I offer the foillowing photograph for comparison.

http://www.nostalgicaviation.com/New...20Reinert2.jpg

Another possibility might be JagdFuhrer Italy Gunther Freiherr von Maltzahn. I have no photo(s) of him to share.

Equally unforunately; neither of these I can say with 100% certainty, but it is at least two names to start with.

Cheers!

Except we know it is not Reinert. Those are the facts available from the photographs. Just reposting for the newbies.

Old 19 Jul 04, 16:11
General of the Forums
Canada
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500]
tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500]
Re: A couple of possibilities.

Quote:
Originally posted by RichardS

Another possibility might be JagdFuhrer Italy Gunther Freiherr von Maltzahn. I have no photo(s) of him to share.

Just a little clarification for those searching.

Ther are 2 Maltzahns.
Gunther von Maltzahn commanded Pz Bde 107

Freiherr von Maltzahn was a Luftwaffe officer with 68(?) kills to his credit. Below is his picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg freiherr von maltzahn.jpg (21.2 KB, 92 views)
Old 19 Jul 04, 16:26
Sergeant
Canada

Michael Dorosh is a balanced individual [0]
There is a list of all German Cross in Gold holders in publication, at least in German.

All Knight's Cross holders are chronicled at http://www.feldgrau.com Look in the decorations section - there is a page for each and every Knight's Cross holder, though info on some is minimal. However, if you do a search on the Luftwaffe RK holders, you can at least narrow down the names and eliminate many of the possibilities.

Just checked feldgrau.com and there are "only" over 7000 listings for Knight's Cross winners, from all the services.

Of these, 1785 went to the Luftwaffe.
Old 19 Jul 04, 17:03
General
Canada

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Dorosh
There is a list of all German Cross in Gold holders in publication, at least in German.

All Knight's Cross holders are chronicled at http://www.feldgrau.com Look in the decorations section - there is a page for each and every Knight's Cross holder, though info on some is minimal. However, if you do a search on the Luftwaffe RK holders, you can at least narrow down the names and eliminate many of the possibilities.

Just checked feldgrau.com and there are "only" over 7000 listings for Knight's Cross winners, from all the services.

Of these, 1785 went to the Luftwaffe.
Thanks Micheal, I had gone that way before and the numbers were staggering.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!