StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War II

Notices and Announcements

World War II Discuss WW2. .

Old 14 May 13, 17:04
General of the Forums
Canada
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500]
tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Williams View Post
I'm surprised that Lodestar hasn't already pulled this one from oblivion, but this is the best story in the nearly 10 years of the ACG.

Agreed, there have been very few (if any) that could match this story.
Old 14 May 13, 17:28
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
I'm surprised that Lodestar hasn't already pulled this one from oblivion, but this is the best story in the nearly 10 years of the ACG.
Lodestar pulls the obscure.

This was a truly amazing story. Thanks for sharing it with us newcomers!
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 14 May 13, 20:16
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
Lodestar pulls the obscure.

This was a truly amazing story. Thanks for sharing it with us newcomers!
Arnold,

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I hope that it still conveys the excitement we all felt as the mystery was unraveling. I remember checking in 5-10 times per day to see if there was any new info, and then we had an identification by an individual who never posted again. For those that have grown up with the internet as just another part of their lives I would emphasize that this is arguably the event that first demonstrated the power of the ACG forums. I would suggest that it could not have been solved before evolution of the internet. We used the input from a global community to solve a 60 year old question, and after providing WW II historians a previously unknown pictorial record of one of the wars most famous aces, the photos were returned to his surviving brother. If it came out of Hollywood no one would have believed it, and its why at least once a year I repost it.

Peace through superior firepower.
Old 14 May 13, 20:38
ACG Forums - Air Marshall
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
If it came out of Hollywood no one would have believed it, and its why at least once a year I repost it.
And I am glad you do. I just wish WE had the final answer. But it is sad in one way; seeing all the old names who don't come around any more.

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Calling Nazis ratzis is an insult to rats around the world.
Old 12 Jul 13, 19:46
Recruit
UK

PC13 is on the path to success [1-99]
What a great story! I agree wholeheartedly that reuniting these photos with their rightful owners would not have been possible if it wasn't for the internet and ACG in particular. Any member who tries to resurrect this story by posting from time to time is doing the right thing. New members like me probably wouldn't have come across this great story otherwise!

Having said that, it's a shame that dannybou and Sgt.Elter have long since stopped using these forums and didn't give us a conclusion to the story as they promised. At the end of the day, at least dannybou's Grandfather got closure from a 60 year old mystery and Hans-Joachim Marseille's brother received the photographs, I guess that's all that matters.

All the best.
Old 12 Jul 13, 19:58
Lieutenant Colonel
EU
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99]
Great story.
Old 13 Jul 13, 22:41
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Desiree Clary is simply cracking [600]
Desiree Clary is simply cracking [600] Desiree Clary is simply cracking [600] Desiree Clary is simply cracking [600] Desiree Clary is simply cracking [600] Desiree Clary is simply cracking [600] Desiree Clary is simply cracking [600] Desiree Clary is simply cracking [600] Desiree Clary is simply cracking [600] Desiree Clary is simply cracking [600] Desiree Clary is simply cracking [600] Desiree Clary is simply cracking [600]
Fascinating story. I thought that this was one of lodestar's resurrections and got more and more excited as time went by.
And battles long ago:
-William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"
Old 13 Jul 13, 23:32
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
The end of this wonderful story is still a big question mark, but here's a brief synopses..........though I would recommend those who like to "turn to the last page first" to read the whole darn thing, all 20 pages, because it is worth the effort and has more twists and turns than a great mystery novel!

The photos in question are of "The Star of Africa", Hans-Joachim Marsailles. Marsailles shot down 158 Allied aircraft in a brief 18 month period. All were flown by the Western Allies (which is a record), 154 of his 158 victories were against fighter planes, including a staggering 17 in one day (another record). Never defeated in combat, he died when his aircraft sufferred engine trouble and then his parachute failed when he bailed out. An amazing pilot who possessed uncanny marksmanship, many consider him to be the greatest "ace" of World War II.

The candid photos were taken by Marsailles close friend Fritz Dettmann during a period of leave from the front. The photos were taken some time between July 3 and July 10, 1942, shortly after Marsailles received the Knights Cross with Oakleaves and Swords, during a visit with Luftwaffe Commander-in-Chief Hermann Goering at a park in Berlin near Leipziger Strasse.

According to Rob Tate, one of the top Marsailles historians, these pictures have never been published before and are truly a great historical find.

Now that you know who he is, and what he was, do yourself a favor and read the whole story about how a few "snapshots" made their way home to a fallen hero's brother............
One theory has been that Marsailles failed to roll his plane on bailing out and may have hit his aircraft while exiting which prevented him from deploying his parachute.
No lie.

~
"Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
-2 Commando Jumpmaster
Old 27 Jun 14, 15:24
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Well its time again to pull this one out for newcomers...........

Old 17 Aug 14, 21:25
Sergeant Major
United_States

TDurden is on the path to success [1-99] TDurden is on the path to success [1-99] TDurden is on the path to success [1-99]
This is some of the best history I've ever read.

Would it be possible to put this OP plus any other "Best of ACG OP's" in a folder somewhere?

This is really great stuff and I'm very particular in my history.
Sponsored Links

Old 19 Aug 14, 13:41
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDurden View Post
This is some of the best history I've ever read.

Would it be possible to put this OP plus any other "Best of ACG OP's" in a folder somewhere?

This is really great stuff and I'm very particular in my history.
Tazz,

I'm glad that you enjoyed it, and reading it will never do justice to the excitement we all felt as it was happening. Its sometimes hard to remember just how "new" the internet was for many of us in 2004. Personally, I actually bought my first computer because of the ACG.

Old 19 Aug 14, 17:37
ACG Forums - canis administrationem
United_States
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Thread stickied for future reference.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.
Old 19 Aug 14, 22:00
General of the Forums
Canada
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500]
tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Tazz,

I'm glad that you enjoyed it, and reading it will never do justice to the excitement we all felt as it was happening. Its sometimes hard to remember just how "new" the internet was for many of us in 2004. Personally, I actually bought my first computer because of the ACG.

Yep !
It was a great feeling to be a part of that story.
Old 14 Oct 14, 11:23
Major
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Charger is on the path to success [1-99] Charger is on the path to success [1-99] Charger is on the path to success [1-99] Charger is on the path to success [1-99] Charger is on the path to success [1-99] Charger is on the path to success [1-99]
Awesome stuff
Old 30 Sep 16, 22:59
ACG Forums - Air Marshall
South_Vietnam
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Time for another bump.

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Calling Nazis ratzis is an insult to rats around the world.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!