StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War II

Notices and Announcements

World War II Discuss WW2. .

Old 30 Mar 04, 08:45
Major
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

eagle101 is on the path to success [1-99]
Update

I'm already on it those pictures help

CHECK YOUR MESSAGES

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir
Old 30 Mar 04, 11:27
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States

moondog is on the path to success [1-99]
Records

The allies were very meticulous with records concerning prisoner's of war....and I've known quite a few Canadians who are even more so.

I have to believe that there are records somewhere telling us who this guy is.

dog
Old 30 Mar 04, 13:43
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Dann Falk is on the path to success [1-99] Dann Falk is on the path to success [1-99]
OK, these are much better photos.

Now we can get down to work. First of all, these are B&W photos which make it much harder. Much information was displayed by the color of piping around the uniform, in different locations. Unfortunately, we can not see these colors, so we will need to make an educated guess about some things.

1. Your officer looks to be a Lieutenant. You can see this from his collar insignia, in the third photo. A wreath and then two little bird figures.

2. Also on the third photo, on his lower left jacket is a Pilot’s Badge. This comes in two types, Pilot and Pilot/Observer. His looks to be the Pilot/Observer badge because of the light colored wings of the eagle.

3. The round badge, on the first and second photo, lower right jacket looks to be a German Cross. It comes in Gold and Silver. This was issued between the Iron Cross First Class and the Night’s Cross.

4. In all the photos, at his neck is what looks to be a an Iron Cross First Class. I can’t see any ribbon or other attachments that go along with the Iron Cross.

So, the conclusion is:

You man is a Luftwaffe Lieutenant, with a Pilot/Observer badge, the German Cross, and the Iron Cross First Class.

Hope this helps.
Old 30 Mar 04, 13:46
General
Canada

dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99]
Any information helps. Thanks. I'll start collecting the evidence.

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!
Old 30 Mar 04, 16:47
ACG Forums - Air Marshall
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally posted by Dann Falk

4. In all the photos, at his neck is what looks to be a an Iron Cross First Class. I can’t see any ribbon or other attachments that go along with the Iron Cross.

If it is worn at the neck than it is a Knight's Cross. Iron Crosses I & II klasse were pin on awards. Looks to be the lowest level of Knights Cross as best I can see. It could be won where he was awarded the decoration , but never got presented with the "official" decoration and his unit made one for him till he could get it.

Cheers!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Calling Nazis ratzis is an insult to rats around the world.
Sponsored Links

Old 30 Mar 04, 16:50
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally posted by RStory
If it is worn at the neck than it is a Knight's Cross. Iron Crosses I & II klasse were pin on awards. Looks to be the lowest level of Knights Cross as best I can see. It could be won where he was awarded the decoration , but never got presented with the "official" decoration and his unit made one for him till he could get it.

Actually looking at the last photo it might be a Ritterkruez mit eichlauben und schwarten (Knights Cross with Oakleaves and Swords).

Cheers!

Old 31 Mar 04, 16:38
Lieutenant General
Canada

Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Actually looking at the last photo it might be a Ritterkruez mit eichlauben und schwarten (Knights Cross with Oakleaves and Swords).

Cheers!

Wow, then this guy must be pretty important. Concerning the records, the Candian goverment must have taken this guy's name. It is important to remember however that we don't know how old those photos are, he may have been promoted and won more awards since the time they were taken.
Old 31 Mar 04, 17:11
First Sergeant
United_States

Fenrir is a balanced individual [0]
i though it looked like a knights cross or an IC 1st Class on the day it was rewarded (after which only the ribbon was worn, right?)
Old 31 Mar 04, 19:46
Major
United_States

ON the case

Thanks for the info guys I have some of my historian friends working on this as we speak. Dannyboyu thanks for letting me help you find your German!!

A TOAST TO YOU FRIEND

Old 01 Apr 04, 02:17
General
Canada

dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:

Cheers!

I knew I could find some assistance in this forum. One thing, to get it clear in my mind, could someone reply with the order of the Iron Crosses? Thanks

Old 05 Apr 04, 08:31
Major
United_States

working on it

Danny I'm working on it right now. but I really need those pictures that you mailed. When will they arrive??

TOAST TO FRIEND

Old 05 Apr 04, 10:39
South_Vietnam

Quote:
Originally posted by dannybou
I knew I could find some assistance in this forum. One thing, to get it clear in my mind, could someone reply with the order of the Iron Crosses? Thanks
Going strictly from memory.
Ek=Iron Cross
RK=Knights Cross
DK=German Cross

EK II
EK I
RK
RK mit eichlauben (Oakleaves)
RK mit eichlauben und schwarten (Swords)
RK mit eichlauben, schwarten und brilliants
(Knights Cross with Oakleaves, Swords and Diamonds)

Rudel won a special RK mit eichlauben, schwarten and brilliants in gold.

DK

DK in gold.

Sorry for my atrocious German.

Cheers!

Old 05 Apr 04, 10:41
South_Vietnam

Quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir
i though it looked like a knights cross or an IC 1st Class on the day it was rewarded (after which only the ribbon was worn, right?)
EK II was ribbon only after presentation. The EK I was an actual cross to be worn on the uniform. But if you look closely at the neck (3rd photo) you can see the oakleaves (eichlauben) and swords.

Cheers!

Old 13 Apr 04, 23:09
South_Vietnam

A couple of possibilities.

Facts from photos:
1) Wears RK mit Eichenlauben und schwarten (Knights Cross with Oakleaves and Swords)

2) Wears Deutches Kreuz in Gold

3) Rank appears to be from Oberstleutenant to Oberst. (Could be Hauptman or Oberleutenant but shoulderboards looked to be swirled pattern rather than straight for juniour officers.)

4) Wears Pilot/Observers badge.

5) Has pointed rather than rounded ears.

6) Appears to have a narrow nose and hawk like face.

Facts supplied by the moderator.

1) Captured in 1944 (45?) by Canadians in Italy.

Problems
Lack of uniform details besides what is already noted.

Comparison photos I used where "formal" poses and not natural poses.

I found nobody that matched 100% of the facts, but I believe the officer to be: Ernst-Wilhelm Reinert.

I offer the foillowing photograph for comparison.

Warning: Google has identified the following as a reported attack page. Open at your own risk - ACG Staff
http://www.nostalgicaviation.com/New...20Reinert2.jpg

Another possibility might be JagdFuhrer Italy Gunther Freiherr von Maltzahn. I have no photo(s) of him to share.

Equally unforunately; neither of these I can say with 100% certainty, but it is at least two names to start with.

Cheers!

Last edited by Skoblin; 18 Aug 14 at 04:28..
Old 14 Apr 04, 09:04
General
Canada

RStory

I thank you ever so much for your help. I'll definitely look into these persons and let you and the membership know of the outcome. With the info you have provided, I might even resend the photo to the German Embassy with the list of decorations you provided. Again, thanks alot, I appreciated as well as Pte Robert Béland.

Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!