StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War II

Notices and Announcements

World War II Discuss WW2. .

Old 24 Mar 04, 09:46
General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99]
Help in identifying German Officer photo

Here is a photo of a German Officer who was captured by my wife's grandfather in Italy, 1944. I have tried to identify him so as to return the photo and the wallet it was in to the officer or to his family. I have tried with the German Govt and they can't help me. The officer is from the Luftwaffe and bears an Iron Cross. If anyone can assist me in this project, it would be greatly appreciated. If you need more info, feel free to PM me. I can enlarge the photo also with Photoshop if need be. Thanks

29 March 2004 - This photo was deleted as I have others in the thread which are better.

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 26 Mar 04, 14:13
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Dann Falk is on the path to success [1-99] Dann Falk is on the path to success [1-99]
Nice thought.

The first thing I would do is enlarge the photo so we all can see the rank of the officer and any medals he is wearing.

Any other info about when or where this officer was captured would also be helpful. Even info about what unit your grandfather was in would help.
Old 28 Mar 04, 19:05
Recruit
United_States

AnemicOak is a balanced individual [0]
Re: Help in identifying German Officer photo

Quote:
Originally posted by dannybou
The officer is from the Luftwaffe and bears an Iron Cross.
Well it's definately a Luftwaffe uniform. The decoration on the right pocket is a Deutsches Kreuz (German Cross). An Iron Cross would be worn on the left pocket, but it's to hard to see in the photo.

A larger photo might help some. What would probably help more is if you have an idea where in Italy he was captured and an approximate date. Also knowing your wife's grandfathers unit would help.

Is ther anything else in the wallet that might help?

Old 28 Mar 04, 21:28
General
Canada

dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99]
OK

I've resized the image as much as I can without losing too much pixels. There are other photos but of children and of a squad of German soldiers. I can scan those if you think they can help. There is also a swastika arm band.

This would have occurred in the area of the Liri Valley, 1944. He was attached to the 1st Cdn Division as an anti-aircraft gunner. Hope this helps a bit.

29 March 2004 - This photo was deleted as I have others in the thread which are better.

Old 28 Mar 04, 21:48
Major
United_States

eagle101 is on the path to success [1-99]
I'll give it a whirl

Danyboy I will try to Identify this German Officer with the information provided. Just be patient this might take some time. :thumb:

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir
Old 28 Mar 04, 21:59
General
Canada

OK that would be great. Over this summer I am planning to obtain his service military record and organize an hommage to him. He will be 85 years old this coming April 13th and is a darling of a person. Although he is my wife's grandfather, I consider him my own grandfather. Thanks for any help. Regardless of the outcome, it will be appreciated.

Old 29 Mar 04, 08:56
Lieutenant General
Canada
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200]
Did you check with the Candian Goverment or the National Archives for more info on your wife's grandfather's unit's history? I will do what I can to help your project.
Old 29 Mar 04, 09:27
General
Canada

Yeap I did. Archives and Veterans. Bottom line: They won't release anything unless I have his written consent since he is still alive. That's not a problem. I'll see him next this summer and will speak to him on his birthday in a few eeks and I will do all the research and leg work and he will only have to sign the request.

Old 29 Mar 04, 13:52
Major
United_States

eagle101 is on the path to success [1-99]

Dannyboy It would help it you could call me. I have historians that can trace where that phot came from and whose it was.

Call Me At

1-513-662-4408

Cincinnati, Ohio

Call me today

3:00 PM

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir
Old 29 Mar 04, 17:31
Lieutenant General
Canada
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally posted by dannybou
Yeap I did. Archives and Veterans. Bottom line: They won't release anything unless I have his written consent since he is still alive. That's not a problem. I'll see him next this summer and will speak to him on his birthday in a few eeks and I will do all the research and leg work and he will only have to sign the request.

Then it shoudln't be to hard. I would assume someone must have a record of the name of the German officer. Do you have any other photos you can show us? It would have been nice if we had a front view.....

Old 29 Mar 04, 17:58
General
Canada

With the coaching of moondog, I re-scanned the photo at 300dpi plus scanned a few others that I found. Much clearer now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg allemand300dpi.jpg (457.4 KB, 624 views)

Old 29 Mar 04, 17:59
General
Canada

One other.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg allemand300dpi-2.jpg (429.5 KB, 493 views)

Old 29 Mar 04, 18:03
General
Canada

And one final one. Hope the webmaster isn't going to be too pissed at me for uploading these shots!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg allemand300dpi-1.jpg (315.3 KB, 405 views)

Old 30 Mar 04, 08:51
Lieutenant General
Canada

Talking

Perfect, that should make things a lot easier. It appears he actually has two medals, the Iron Cross, and one with a swastika in the middle on the side. I still think your best chances lie with the Canadian Goverment. I just hope we don't find out he is some sort of war criminal or something.

-Hey this is post nunber 50 for me!
Old 30 Mar 04, 09:27
General
Canada

Not sure why the Canadian Govt would have information about this guy. He was taken prisonner by my wife's grandfather, would there be a written record of that in the Archives or something?

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!