HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Weapons of War > Air Power

Notices and Announcements

Air Power A place to discuss the implements of War in the Air!

Old 16 Mar 04, 12:06
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Worst Fighter Plane of WW II

In another thread the question was asked.....What is the worst fighter plane of WW II.

My vote goes to the F2A Brewster Buffalo. Despite some success in the hands of Finnish forces against the Russians it was the worst "fighter" forced upon US and British air forces.

A close second choice would be the woefully obsolete Italian CR.42.

Peace through superior firepower.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 20 Mar 04, 16:03
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

hogdriver is on the path to success [1-99]
Re: Worst Fighter Plane of WW II

Quote:
Originally posted by Lance Williams
In another thread the question was asked.....What is the worst fighter plane of WW II.

My vote goes to the Brewster Buffalo. Despite some success in the hands of Finnish forces against the Russians it was the worst "fighter" forced upon US and British air forces.

A close second choice would be the woefully obsolete Italian CR.42.
I'll second that. Though the Buffalo was taken out of service as soon as more modern replacements were available, it saw service at both Midway and Wake, I believe.

Other candidates are the Soviet I-153 biplane (bomber I think, but don't remember), and the Yak-1 fighter.
Old 21 Mar 04, 15:40
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Re: Re: Worst Fighter Plane of WW II

Quote:
Originally posted by hogdriver
I'll second that. Though the Buffalo was taken out of service as soon as more modern replacements were available, it saw service at both Midway and Wake, I believe.

Other candidates are the Soviet I-153 biplane (bomber I think, but don't remember), and the Yak-1 fighter.
If you mean "taken out of service" is a euphanism for being shot down.

They were at Wake and used by the British in Burma. I don't think any were left by Midway. I believe all of the fighters on Midway were Wildcats.

Old 21 Mar 04, 17:49
ACG Forums - Air Marshal
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Re: Re: Re: Worst Fighter Plane of WW II

Quote:
Originally posted by Lance Williams
If you mean "taken out of service" is a euphanism for being shot down.

They were at Wake and used by the British in Burma. I don't think any were left by Midway. I believe all of the fighters on Midway were Wildcats.
Actually, Red Parks fighter squadron had Buffalos and the attack squadrons had Vindicators. There was a MOH won by Captain Richard E. Fleming for flying a Vindicator.

But the worst fighter of WWII? Hmmmmmm. I disagree with the CR-42 as in capable hands it could be a handful. I guess for me the worst fighter of the war was the Bolton Paul Defiant.

Below is a nice link to a nice page for the Marine fighters at Midway.

http://www.danford.net/midwayx.htm

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Calling Nazis ratzis is an insult to rats around the world.
Old 23 Mar 04, 17:10
United_States

Re: Re: Re: Re: Worst Fighter Plane of WW II

Quote:
Originally posted by RStory
Actually, Red Parks fighter squadron had Buffalos and the attack squadrons had Vindicators. There was a MOH won by Captain Richard E. Fleming for flying a Vindicator.

But the worst fighter of WWII? Hmmmmmm. I disagree with the CR-42 as in capable hands it could be a handful. I guess for me the worst fighter of the war was the Bolton Paul Defiant.

Below is a nice link to a nice page for the Marine fighters at Midway.

http://www.danford.net/midwayx.htm
I stand corrected regarding Buffaloes at Midway.

The CR.42 was manoeverable, but come on, it was out classed in Spain in 1936.

As for the Bolton-Paul Defiant you might have something. The concept of a fighter with no fixed forward armament does make you wonder about its creators logic. It shot down a few unlucky enemies that attacked from the rear when first introduced, but after that everyone attacked it head on and it was defenseless.

Old 09 Feb 05, 18:31
United_States

Any one new to the forums have any thoughts on this question?

Old 09 Feb 05, 18:42
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
No, nothing new...but I'll second the Bolton Paul Defiant. The turret-only armament package was a novel concept...until the Luftwaffe learned how to tell the difference between a Hurricane and a Defiant.

The Brewster Buffalo was actually chosen over the Wildcat by the Navy...fortunately they figured out it was a mistake in time to re-equip most of their Fighting Squadrons prior to Pearl Harbor...
Old 09 Feb 05, 19:15
Brigadier General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

BigDog is walking in the light [200] BigDog is walking in the light [200] BigDog is walking in the light [200] BigDog is walking in the light [200] BigDog is walking in the light [200] BigDog is walking in the light [200] BigDog is walking in the light [200] BigDog is walking in the light [200] BigDog is walking in the light [200] BigDog is walking in the light [200] BigDog is walking in the light [200]
No with the worst fighters the obvious selections are so bad it is clear.

I would say Defiant over the Buffalo since atleast the Finns did have a bit of luck with it.
Old 09 Feb 05, 20:50
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100]
TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100]
The Buffalo. As a fighter, it lived up to its namesake. unmanuverable and slow. Not exactly what you want to be covering your six.

Lt. Dan, Company XO and sometimes Armored Car commander.
Old 09 Feb 05, 22:00
Lieutenant Colonel
England
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

michammer is on the path to success [1-99] michammer is on the path to success [1-99] michammer is on the path to success [1-99] michammer is on the path to success [1-99] michammer is on the path to success [1-99] michammer is on the path to success [1-99]
I'm going with the Defiant. It had one good day over Dunkirk when they surprised some Bf109s who attacked them but after that they were history.

Another fighter that did not have much success was the Westland Whirlwind, that only ever equipped one squadron. Unfortunately, it had a poor power plant and did not live up to expectations. I believe that if it had been powered by merlins, it may well have gone on to be an outstanding aircraft.
Sponsored Links

Old 09 Feb 05, 22:54
ACG Forums - Air Marshal
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by michammer
Another fighter that did not have much success was the Westland Whirlwind, that only ever equipped one squadron. Unfortunately, it had a poor power plant and did not live up to expectations. I believe that if it had been powered by merlins, it may well have gone on to be an outstanding aircraft.
The engines it was designed for where never delivered. The engines it got (Pergrins?) were horribly mismatched to the plane. The Whirlwind would have been a good plane if it got the right engines.

:flag:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whirlwind-color.jpg (33.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 10 Feb 05, 03:37
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100]
MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100]
If prototypes are allowed into this poll then I vote for the Soviet Silvansky I-220 because this was one of the most shocking airplane engineering screw-ups in history. The plane was designed in 1939 and began testing in 1940.

Silvansky designed his plane with a propeller that was too large, almost touching the ground during engine runs! It would have certainly hit the runway on takeoff because of the compressibility of the shock absorbers.

The designer promptly fitted his bird with a smaller propeller but this cut the thrust dramatically and the airplane could barely get airborne despite an incredibly long takeoff run. Of course, its other flying characteristics were terrible too.

Stalin must have been furious because after the I-220 nothing was heard of Silvanski's fighter aircraft design efforts again. Perhaps Stalin put him in charge of railway car production or something.

"Man is a military animal, glories in gunpowder, and loves parade."
--P. J. Bailey, British poet
Old 10 Feb 05, 03:40
General
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon 

the_redstar_swl has disabled reputation
I'd say the Me 163 Komet
Your Plane A'splode!
Old 10 Feb 05, 03:44
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100]
MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_redstar_swl
I'd say the Me 163 Komet
Your Plane A'splode!
Yep, I don't know which worse death in the Komet: exploding in midair or overturning on the ground and being dissolved by the flesh-eating fuel spilling into the cockpit. To make it more fun, the flesh eating fuel also caught fire as it ate your flesh because that's what it did when it contacted any kind of organic material. So the pilot could experience being dissolved and burned at the same time.

"Man is a military animal, glories in gunpowder, and loves parade."
--P. J. Bailey, British poet
Old 10 Feb 05, 12:49
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Boulton-Paul Defiant. The concept actually went right to WWI. All that was missing was a Lewis gun for the pilot!

Second choice would likely be the Bewster Buffalo.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!