HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > ACG's Guide to Free War, Combat, & Strategy Games Online'

Notices and Announcements

ACG's Guide to Free War, Combat, & Strategy Games Online' Here you will find games from throughout the world wide web.

Old 05 Jun 10, 06:44
Private First Class
Canada

r6751 is a balanced individual [0]
WW2 The Big One

This is a very detailed play by email wargame. Turns are 11 days = 1 game month. Players take roles as leaders, generals, and admirals and work on either the Allied or Axis side to fight the war.

There are three levels to the game and multiple types of activity. On the Strategic level, players are national leaders and deal with diplomacy, espionage, production, research, and planning the war.

The Operational level is where the plans become movement of land, sea, and air units. OP commanders issue the movement orders and when that movement results in contact with the enemy, it is the Tactical level players who fight the battles.

NO dice are used and no random number generating schemes. Results are based on conditions, strength of forces, and player decisions.

The game is free to play and the rules are a free download. Everything is done via email.

The first game turn got under way May 29th.

There are still roles to fill and as the war expands, there will be lots of demand for more players.

How much time does it take? Less time than you probably play your video games. You won't get email every day, only when you/your role is involved. Even better, you can play this game anywhere that you have access to your email.

There are no deadlines. The 11-day game turn is really about date change and measuring production times for new units. It doesn't require players to finish what they are doing as battles can span turns.

This is my imaginarium !

http://ww2thebigone.webs.com
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 10 Jul 10, 23:22
Corporal
United_States

Giff is on the path to success [1-99]
Game Review

I've been registered and waiting there for a week to see if I'll be playing.. Has a few players but little activity.. I have to wait and see if this lives up to the advertising..
Old 11 Jul 10, 18:28
Private
Canada

future_warrior is a balanced individual [0]
how do u sign up?
Old 21 Aug 10, 01:37
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) Model Forum Group Build Victor 

AirborneBob is walking in the light [200] AirborneBob is walking in the light [200] AirborneBob is walking in the light [200] AirborneBob is walking in the light [200] AirborneBob is walking in the light [200] AirborneBob is walking in the light [200] AirborneBob is walking in the light [200] AirborneBob is walking in the light [200] AirborneBob is walking in the light [200] AirborneBob is walking in the light [200] AirborneBob is walking in the light [200]
According to the site..new round is starting soon (as of 20 August)..I signed up
Old 24 Aug 10, 20:39
Private First Class
Canada

Evening gentlemen

First, a bit of explanation. Yes, the game is in the process of recruiting for a new start. That means some wait time until there are enough players to make it worthwhile. (Minimum 5 per side on the Tactical Level.)

This is a game without deadlines, which goes both ways. For instance, I am awaiting opening moves and orders from the leader of France. The German leader has already sent his. Today is Aug 24th, and it is day one of the first turn. I have sent the start announcement to all, but must now wait, like everyone.

When I say 'no deadlines' it isn't quite accurate. For instance, the first 5 days of a turn are considered 'Early' for orders. After that, orders are considered 'late turn'. What that means is, for instance, if an air strike is ordered on an enemy port that has ships in it and the timing is right - the ships are caught in the raid. If the air orders were issued after the 5th day of a turn, and the ships were ordered to sail during the first 5 days, the ships are not in the port when the raid happens.

There are a number of similar instances when being prompt with orders has benefits.

New players to a new game always expect instant action, but I submit that the rules package sent to new players consists of approximately 125 pages covering the main, strategic, and specific role rules for the player.

It is expected that a new player will take the time to read these pages while waiting for activity. Indeed, unless he does that, and understands what he has read, he can be of little value to his side in the action.

So, I urge patience and promise the game is deep enough and comprehensive enough to be worth the wait.

Mike Raymond
Author and Game Designer
Old 24 Aug 10, 20:42
Private First Class
Canada

How to sign up

Quote:
Originally Posted by future_warrior View Post
how do u sign up?
Interested players can simply send an email to me at ww2bigone@excite.com and that will be all you need to get started.

I will respond with information, links to the rules needed, and your assigned role and side for the game.

I also suggest that a visit to the web site will help you decide if this is what you want to get involved with. The site url is in the signature below.
Old 01 Sep 10, 04:17
Private
Canada

BardontheRiver is a balanced individual [0]
A Grand Adventure

Look very promising! I'm the sort of player that if hooked for a week will stay for years and I'm glad to read this game system rewards that.
Old 08 Nov 10, 16:44
Private
United_States

TJackson is on the path to success [1-99]
WW2 the Big one

This Game is Great guys. Really is. Its also alot of Work.

If you put in the effort the Game ill give back! Ive played it now since August and its great.

Lots of things going on at once. Army. Air Force and Navy all have separate Roles and Branches and must communicate for support.

I had to quit today though for several Reasons. I wish I had the time to dedicate to the War effort but Life gets in the way. Great game if you have alot of time!

Cadre, One Shepherd
Old 11 Feb 13, 14:28
Private First Class
Canada

2013 Update

Greetings,

The game has been revised. PBEM almost worked. The game master concept has been removed. PBEM is not the primary play method any more.

The new version, called Conflict WW2, is a One-To-Many game that can be played solitaire or with many players. Human players can come and go without it affecting play. This is because of the use of NPC officers who can be leaders, operational commanders, and tactical officers. Each has a command value, called Command Points.

The new intent is to use my rules to link tabletop boardgames and miniature engagements together. The war is "out there" where the Strategic Leaders make the decisions, (as before) and the Operational Commanders create missions from those, (as before) and the play of tabletop or miniatures represents the Tactical Level.

The winner of the tabletop battle gets a Command Point and the loser gives one up. Command Points can be loaned downward from Strategic and Operational Levels to improve the chances of the TAC officer.

The setup and choice of battles are often influenced by the 'big picture' war going on. Outcomes from the battles have an effect on the war by altering the Command Values of the sides. For instance, if a capital ship is lost in a miniatures game, not only does the TAC level lose a point - but so do the Naval Operational Command and the National Strategic Leader.

So the game is even more promising than before, being able to meld two formerly unrelated gaming groups; boardgamers and miniature gamers.

Same web site: Worth investigation.http://www.ww2thebigone.webs.com
Old 01 Jan 14, 11:21
Private First Class
Canada

Happy New Year 2014

Just a word to let all know that WW2 The Big One lives on. In fact, I am adapting the rules concepts to the 1650-1850 era.

This is not a game. There is nothing to buy. It is just a set of rules to allow players to link results of board game and miniatures play.

Come check it out and download for free.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!