StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Units - Military/Naval Service of ACG Members

Notices and Announcements

Units - Military/Naval Service of ACG Members Here you will post or find the units in which ACG members have served.

View Poll Results: What service would you chose if you could do it all over again?
Navy 9 22.50%
Army 14 35.00%
Air Force 9 22.50%
Marines 7 17.50%
Coast Guard 0 0%
Other 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18 Jul 12, 13:09
General of the Forums
Canada
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500]
tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massena View Post
Are you referring to the Australian 2 Commando? Why are they 'notorious'?

Sincerely,
M

That would probably be Canada's 2 Commando.
Part of the now defunct Canadian Parachute Regt based in Petawawa, Ontario. About 150 kms west of the capital Ottawa.

They were officially disbanded after the release of a hazing video which followed the Somalia scandal.
Old 18 Jul 12, 14:42
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I thought that 2 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group was at Petawawa. I didn't see that 2 Commando was there. And 2 Commando wasn't listed as one of the subordinate units at Petawawa.

Sincerely,
M
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 18 Jul 12, 15:05
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
I thought that 2 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group was at Petawawa. I didn't see that 2 Commando was there. And 2 Commando wasn't listed as one of the subordinate units at Petawawa.

Sincerely,
M
Disbanded in 1991(?)
Old 18 Jul 12, 18:38
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
Disbanded in 1991(?)
I thought it was later... 1993? I'll have check my jump log.
Old 18 Jul 12, 18:51
General of the Forums
Canada
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500]
tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:

Sincerely,
M
The Canadian Airborne Regt was disbanded in 1993 (?)

It's integral units were 1, 2 and 3 Commando.
These units were supplied by a battalion from each of the 3 Reg force Regiments in the Canadian army: RCR (Royal Canadian Regiment), PPCLI ( Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry) and the Vandoos (Royal 22ieme Regiment)

Now, each regiment has an airborne capable company as part of it's OOB.

Old 18 Jul 12, 21:17
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersqn View Post
The Canadian Airborne Regt was disbanded in 1993 (?)

It's integral units were 1, 2 and 3 Commando.
These units were supplied by a battalion from each of the 3 Reg force Regiments in the Canadian army: RCR (Royal Canadian Regiment), PPCLI ( Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry) and the Vandoos (Royal 22ieme Regiment)

Now, each regiment has an airborne capable company as part of it's OOB.
Bingo!
Old 19 Jul 12, 02:33
Banned
United_States

tuntavern1983 is on the path to success [1-99] tuntavern1983 is on the path to success [1-99]
Once a Marine, always a Marine. I guess you can figure out what I voted.
Old 19 Jul 12, 10:02
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Right on the money.

Sincerely,
M
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 20 Jul 12, 22:09
General of the Forums
United_States

Old 21 Jul 12, 22:00
Banned
United_States

WWIIWWIpilot is on the path to success [1-99] WWIIWWIpilot is on the path to success [1-99] WWIIWWIpilot is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101combatvet View Post
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo true!
Old 02 Aug 13, 19:57
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
I would do it all over again. I would not change a thing.
Old 02 Aug 13, 21:19
First Lieutenant
United_States

mimike is on the path to success [1-99] mimike is on the path to success [1-99] mimike is on the path to success [1-99] mimike is on the path to success [1-99] mimike is on the path to success [1-99] mimike is on the path to success [1-99] mimike is on the path to success [1-99]
I was drafted and at the induction station was chosen for the USMC (I had been in Marine JROTC)- a guy down the line volunteered an took my place so I went into the Army.
During my Sr. yr of HS I worked for a local newspaper, sweeping floors and emptying trash so the Army said I was a printer (no need for AIT) and sent my to a Topographic Engineer unit to make maps. I spent over 10 yrs making maps then went to a PSYOPs unit at Ft. Bragg and took advantage of the situation to get into Military Intel where I remained until I retired.
If I could do it over I would have enlisted for MI to begin with and spent my entire career in that field.
Old 07 Aug 13, 10:48
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States

Shocky1352 is on the path to success [1-99] Shocky1352 is on the path to success [1-99] Shocky1352 is on the path to success [1-99]
I came on here to say "Marines instead of Navy" but as I started typing, I realize I was generally content with how I spent 69-73 aboard one or more frigates as a sonar tech.

The schools I got in my 4 year hitch helped land me a pretty good job during the "hire the vet" era during and after 'Nam.

I almost got the chance though. During the pre-induction physical, "they" got the hearing test results swapped between me and the guy behind me in line. They told me I was just about deaf, and rejected me.

I went to a ENT, who told me I had hearing good enough to be a fighter pilot, whatever that meant. I figured that it meant pretty good though.

I went home, and while waiting to be drafted, thought about taking matters into my own hands, and getting it over by enlisting in the Marine Corps.

About a week later, I got a call from the induction center saying they'd discovered the mistake, and did I want to retake the physical?

Sailed through it (pun intended) this time and was soon off to boot camp in San Diego.

During boot camp aptitude testing, my hearing, and SLIGHTLY above average IQ, or as they called it then GCT/ARI, got me sent to sonar school, and then the fleet after recruit training.

I do remember, as we were marching around this or that gridiron, occasionally seeing Marines drilling on their side of the fence and wondering what if?

Anchors aweigh, and Semper Fi.

Last edited by Shocky1352; 07 Aug 13 at 11:27..
Old 21 Aug 13, 00:19
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
As much as I often dispised active duty in the Navy I don't think I'd change that. In the end that worked to my advantage. Richover's nuclear power program made college a breeze and I learned some neat stuff too not to mention got good with equipment and fixing it.

What I would change is going in the Reserves following that. I would have switched services and gone with the Army. Why you ask? Because in short order I would have had my degree and shifted to an officer program. That wasn't happening in the Naval Reserve. They had few slots for officers and you had to have the right designator.
That would have given me a larger retirement and opened more opportunities for things to do than remaining enlisted with the Navy did.
While I don't mind and am proud to be a Chief, having the extra money would have been nice.
Old 12 Sep 13, 14:55
Brigadier General
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Javaman is on a distinguished road [300] Javaman is on a distinguished road [300] Javaman is on a distinguished road [300] Javaman is on a distinguished road [300] Javaman is on a distinguished road [300] Javaman is on a distinguished road [300] Javaman is on a distinguished road [300] Javaman is on a distinguished road [300] Javaman is on a distinguished road [300] Javaman is on a distinguished road [300] Javaman is on a distinguished road [300] Javaman is on a distinguished road [300] Javaman is on a distinguished road [300]
If I truly had it to do all over again I don't think I would. Pride in service just doesn't equate well with the tangible cost of it, 2 dead friends, a failed marriage, tons of lost time and a few psychological scars from things I REALLY would rather have not seen/been a part of. I'm still in uniform kind of assuming the worst is over and that it remains a good career and I have lots of things on my resume' to propel me the rest of the way, otherwise...I can't wait to hang em up for good.
I originally joined for college tuition reimbursement for grad school, a keen interest in military history and because I thought it was a right of passage and way to pay my dues so to speak. After having been through what I have and watching the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan play out as they have, I wish I'd have done it differently.

I should have read Smedley Butler's book when I was 21:

"War is just a racket. A racket is best described, I believe, as something that is not what it seems to the majority of people. Only a small inside group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few at the expense of the masses.

I believe in adequate defense at the coastline and nothing else. If a nation comes over here to fight, then we'll fight. The trouble with America is that when the dollar only earns 6 percent over here, then it gets restless and goes overseas to get 100 percent. Then the flag follows the dollar and the soldiers follow the flag.

I wouldn't go to war again as I have done to protect some lousy investment of the bankers. There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket
. "
-Anonymous US Army logistician
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!