StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Units - Military/Naval Service of ACG Members

Notices and Announcements

Units - Military/Naval Service of ACG Members Here you will post or find the units in which ACG members have served.

View Poll Results: What service would you chose if you could do it all over again?
Navy 9 22.50%
Army 14 35.00%
Air Force 9 22.50%
Marines 7 17.50%
Coast Guard 0 0%
Other 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16 Jul 12, 14:29
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
HEY!!!!!

You two Dips!!!

Hardly ten post an you've turned it into a flame war. Can we get back on topic. It's a long way from where the two of you have taken it. Thanks.

I would have still been in the Army, legally I still am I guess.

Military, regardless of which branch offers a lot of positives. Free Schooling for advancement in your field and assistance in advanced education among one of many advantages.

I found the sense of service to our country very compelling also. Not only would I do it once again, I would have stayed longer and perhaps get my Warrant in my field or tried for a Commission in some other field.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

'half-baked, spurious nationalism'
Old 16 Jul 12, 16:13
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Then people should not insult another's service especially when they know nothing of it to begin with.

Now should they?

Sincerely,
M
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 16 Jul 12, 17:14
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Nichols gives and gets respect [800]
Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800]
I wouldn't change service or MOS, with my current knowledge, I would have changed units only.
Old 16 Jul 12, 17:21
General of the Forums
United_States

Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101combatvet View Post
I wasn't saying that the Marines didn't have talented men. I won't go into all the details because I don't want to upset anyone. Frankly, the Marine mission is antiquated and they have been trying to conform to the other services. Some success has been made on their part but they still fall short in many respects.
I know why we missed this....you go about insulting the Corps on her Birthday.

You have no idea on what you're talking about...."falling short in many respects"

Do you even know what the Marine Corps Mission is?
Old 16 Jul 12, 18:37
ACG Forums - Morale Officer
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sennef View Post
What arm or branch should I have joined instead of the one I did and what would I do differently there?

Any other members ready to share their reflections?
Hello Major.
Interesting thread.
Instead of Marine Corps, I would go Navy.
Their food is fantastic.
All you want.

Old 16 Jul 12, 18:40
ACG Forums - Morale Officer
United_States
Greatest Blunders Campaign Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101combatvet View Post
Frankly, the Marine mission is antiquated and they have been trying to conform to the other services. Some success has been made on their part but they still fall short in many respects.
OK.
And have a nice day.

Old 16 Jul 12, 19:35
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I spent time at sea on US warships. The food is indeed excellent, especially on aircraft carriers who feed 24 hours a day. The carrier I was on was the Roosevelt-great ship.

Sincerely,
M
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 16 Jul 12, 20:18
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
I was offered submarine service in the Navy but was instead drafted into the Army. Probably fate kept me from serving aboard the nuclear attack sub Thresher.

Anyhow, I qualified for flight train upon testing. I would have signed on for that but my glasses prevented me from signing up for that profession. So, it was heavy weapons instead.

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”
Old 16 Jul 12, 23:01
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug View Post
Hello Major.
Interesting thread.
Instead of Marine Corps, I would go Navy.
Their food is fantastic.
All you want.
I wouldn't go Navy, but my oldest daughter is so.....

Slug, you are 100% correct on the Navy Chow. Two times really stand out for me. We came back on ship on thanksgiving Day 1983 after a 10 day operation in Honduras. It was the USS LaMoure County so a relatively small ship.....Once we secured our weapons, the Navy gave us head of the line, all we could eat........the Sailors ended up eating rice & spam because they fed us all of the turkey. Also the surf & turf before we would depart...good memories...

The other REALLY good chow was on Diego Garcia....all you could eat, top grade chow.

All together just under 3 years of ship time in the Gator fleet...great chow.
Old 16 Jul 12, 23:07
Banned
United_States

WWIIWWIpilot is on the path to success [1-99] WWIIWWIpilot is on the path to success [1-99] WWIIWWIpilot is on the path to success [1-99]
Be a Navy Pilot. Like me!
Old 16 Jul 12, 23:21
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWIIWWIpilot View Post
Be a Navy Pilot. Like me!
When did you join the Navy?
Old 16 Jul 12, 23:44
Banned
United_States

WWIIWWIpilot is on the path to success [1-99] WWIIWWIpilot is on the path to success [1-99] WWIIWWIpilot is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
When did you join the Navy?
Right now... Lol! No, I wanna be a Navy Pilot.... I can't spell Aviater so I say "Pilot" instead
Old 16 Jul 12, 23:51
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Right now... Lol! No, I wanna be a Navy Pilot.... I can't spell Aviater so I say "Pilot" instead
Focus on your grades & extra curricular activities.

BTW, watch what you post on line....that stuff can come back and bite you when you least expect it.
Old 17 Jul 12, 00:26
Banned
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
Focus on your grades & extra curricular activities.

BTW, watch what you post on line....that stuff can come back and bite you when you least expect it.
Yep I know, what do you mean watch what you post? Ya mean like the Navy would look at it?
Old 17 Jul 12, 00:29
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Yep I know, what do you mean watch what you post? Ya mean like the Navy would look at it?
During the initial recruiting effort....maybe yes, maybe no.

Getting a security clearance later on...probably.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!