StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Units - Military/Naval Service of ACG Members

Notices and Announcements

Units - Military/Naval Service of ACG Members Here you will post or find the units in which ACG members have served.

View Poll Results: What service would you chose if you could do it all over again?
Navy 9 22.50%
Army 14 35.00%
Air Force 9 22.50%
Marines 7 17.50%
Coast Guard 0 0%
Other 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07 Nov 11, 05:06
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
If I could do it all over again, I would join ...

Maybe my age, close to midlife crisis
but every now and then my thoughts wander to what I would have chosen differently.
What arm or branch should I have joined instead of the one I did and what would I do differently there?

Any other members ready to share their reflections?

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Last edited by Colonel Sennef; 07 Nov 11 at 07:23..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 07 Nov 11, 05:28
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Not quite midlife crisis yet, but am facing release-to-civilian-life-crisis

I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 07 Nov 11, 10:15
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I'd get a mos change. Falcon trainer would be my choice..

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/nov/14/local/me-33370

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Old 07 Nov 11, 18:13
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
Had I had the maturity at 17 that I (presumably) had by age 44, I would have joined the Marines for my first enlistment and then gone to one of the military academies seeking an Army career. I can look back on a lot of highly selective assignments, but the only ones that really counts are your combat and live fire expeditionary tours. And I think four years as a Marine grunt would have better prepared me for that than Army Air Defense Artillery.

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!
Old 07 Nov 11, 18:36
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500]
skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500]
I joined the Navy in '69 and got an interesting job. No regrets...
Old 07 Nov 11, 18:45
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
SPQR Campaign 

Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I wish that I had stayed with my original plans and joined the Air Force.
Old 09 Nov 11, 14:18
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99]
No regrets U.S.N. All The Way .
Old 09 Nov 11, 14:34
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lirelou View Post
Had I had the maturity at 17 that I (presumably) had by age 44, I would have joined the Marines for my first enlistment and then gone to one of the military academies seeking an Army career. I can look back on a lot of highly selective assignments, but the only ones that really counts are your combat and live fire expeditionary tours. And I think four years as a Marine grunt would have better prepared me for that than Army Air Defense Artillery.
I always have looked at the Marines as a step backward... sorry but that is what I have seen when dealing with Marines and "ex-Marines"... yeah I know.

I have no regrets.... the Army has some of the best opportunities but it is all personal choice.
Old 10 Nov 11, 08:43
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
101combatvet, the advantage of the USMC is that the great majority of Marines will learn how to pack a 'sea bag', and deploy only with what they have brought along. Something that you might get in an elite Army unit, though we often have the luxury of calling in a resupply, which can make some planners lazy.

I never knew a former Marine that did not know how to pack a rucksack, and did not have a well honed feel for what had to be brought along. They knew when to go light, and they knew when they needed to go heavy.

And, yes, I too have known some Jarheads, especially an officer or two, whose IQs might have matched a rock's. But those were the exception. As for Marine NCOs, they definitely had my respect, which is likewise true for every Ranger Bn, or Airborne battalion, of SFODA Team NCO I ever met, and a whole lot of tactical unit NCOs soldiering out there in the 'real Army'. But I found a lot of 'ash and trash' in the REMF jobs, and the Army's 'we want to join you' and 'diversity' policies of the last 20 years have done some damage that I did not note in the USMC.

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!
Old 10 Nov 11, 10:00
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
I wasn't saying that the Marines didn't have talented men. I won't go into all the details because I don't want to upset anyone. Frankly, the Marine mission is antiquated and they have been trying to conform to the other services. Some success has been made on their part but they still fall short in many respects.
Sponsored Links

Old 16 Jul 12, 12:33
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Fortunately or unfortunately, I just 'found' (as in stumbled across) this thread, and once again we are presented with 'Marine bashing' by our favorite 'marksman.'

The following garbage posted by himself is patently ridiculous, as well as being inaccurate both historically and presently, as well as being ignorant in the extreme:

'I always have looked at the Marines as a step backward... sorry but that is what I have seen when dealing with Marines and "ex-Marines"... yeah I know. I have no regrets.... the Army has some of the best opportunities but it is all personal choice. I wasn't saying that the Marines didn't have talented men. I won't go into all the details because I don't want to upset anyone. Frankly, the Marine mission is antiquated and they have been trying to conform to the other services. Some success has been made on their part but they still fall short in many respects.'

This nonsense brought to mind a couple of quotations from famous personages who knew something of the Marine Corps, which our 'noted marksman' obviously does not:

‘Why in hell can’t the Army do it if the Marines can? They are the same kind of men; why can’t they be like Marines?’-General John J. Pershing, 12 February 1918.

‘Eliminate the Marine Corps and you will no longer have a measuring rod to apply to the Army…I sometimes suspect that is why some Army men want to eliminate the Marine Corps, because they will not then be subject to the test of competition.’-Senator Paul Douglas, 13 April 1951.

The above was spoken during the period after War II when the Army and the newly created Air Force were trying to get rid of the Marine Corps and curtail the US Navy, which when reviewed was hideous.

‘The safest place in Korea was right behind a platoon of Marines. Lord, how they could fight. The Reds told us they were afraid to tangle with the Marines and avoided them when they could be located.’-Army Major General Frank E. Lowe.

‘Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the Marines don’t have that problem.’-President Ronald Reagan.

I have served in two Marine Divisions and held commands in both. I am also very familiar with the way in which the Army operates. The Marine Corps trains its recruits much better and the Marine combat units are much more cohesive, aggressive, and combat-worthy than some of the US Army units I am familiar with, including the 101st Airborne Division.

I served with 10th Marines, 2d MarDiv in the First Gulf War, and we had two army firing units attached to us. One was a self-propelled 155mm unit, and the other was a rocket battery. The rocket battery was excellent; the SP unit was the worst in the regiment, after the four Marine Corps artillery battalions (one SP and three towed) and the rockets. One fire mission directed to the Army SP unit took 17 minutes to get a round down range. If that had been a Marine artillery unit, the battalion commander and S-3 would have been relieved for cause.

I'll take a Marine infantry battalion over anyone else in that line of work. Picking a fight with a Marine infantry battalion is like walking into a buzz saw. The Marines are tougher, better trained and disciplined, and the Staff NCOs are excellent.

There are substandard Marines, and they are gotten rid of either administratively or judicially. Standards are very high, the training is tough, and the Marines do what they are told.

And there is nothing called an 'ex-Marine.' There are Marines, retired Marines, and former Marines. And the term Marine has to be earned and is always capitalized.

It seems to me that our 'favorite marksman' is either jealous or, in the words of Henry Lachouque, the French historian of the Imperial Guard, 'only mediocre men are embarrassed by the presence of an elite.'

Sincerely,
M
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 16 Jul 12, 12:49
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massena View Post
Fortunately or unfortunately, I just 'found' (as in stumbled across) this thread, and once again we are presented with 'Marine bashing' by our favorite 'marksman.'

The following garbage posted by himself is patently ridiculous, as well as being inaccurate both historically and presently, as well as being ignorant in the extreme:

'I always have looked at the Marines as a step backward... sorry but that is what I have seen when dealing with Marines and "ex-Marines"... yeah I know. I have no regrets.... the Army has some of the best opportunities but it is all personal choice. I wasn't saying that the Marines didn't have talented men. I won't go into all the details because I don't want to upset anyone. Frankly, the Marine mission is antiquated and they have been trying to conform to the other services. Some success has been made on their part but they still fall short in many respects.'

This nonsense brought to mind a couple of quotations from famous personages who knew something of the Marine Corps, which our 'noted marksman' obviously does not:

‘Why in hell can’t the Army do it if the Marines can? They are the same kind of men; why can’t they be like Marines?’-General John J. Pershing, 12 February 1918.

‘Eliminate the Marine Corps and you will no longer have a measuring rod to apply to the Army…I sometimes suspect that is why some Army men want to eliminate the Marine Corps, because they will not then be subject to the test of competition.’-Senator Paul Douglas, 13 April 1951.

The above was spoken during the period after War II when the Army and the newly created Air Force were trying to get rid of the Marine Corps and curtail the US Navy, which when reviewed was hideous.

‘The safest place in Korea was right behind a platoon of Marines. Lord, how they could fight. The Reds told us they were afraid to tangle with the Marines and avoided them when they could be located.’-Army Major General Frank E. Lowe.

‘Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the Marines don’t have that problem.’-President Ronald Reagan.

I have served in two Marine Divisions and held commands in both. I am also very familiar with the way in which the Army operates. The Marine Corps trains its recruits much better and the Marine combat units are much more cohesive, aggressive, and combat-worthy than some of the US Army units I am familiar with, including the 101st Airborne Division.

I served with 10th Marines, 2d MarDiv in the First Gulf War, and we had two army firing units attached to us. One was a self-propelled 155mm unit, and the other was a rocket battery. The rocket battery was excellent; the SP unit was the worst in the regiment, after the four Marine Corps artillery battalions (one SP and three towed) and the rockets. One fire mission directed to the Army SP unit took 17 minutes to get a round down range. If that had been a Marine artillery unit, the battalion commander and S-3 would have been relieved for cause.

I'll take a Marine infantry battalion over anyone else in that line of work. Picking a fight with a Marine infantry battalion is like walking into a buzz saw. The Marines are tougher, better trained and disciplined, and the Staff NCOs are excellent.

There are substandard Marines, and they are gotten rid of either administratively or judicially. Standards are very high, the training is tough, and the Marines do what they are told.

And there is nothing called an 'ex-Marine.' There are Marines, retired Marines, and former Marines. And the term Marine has to be earned and is always capitalized.

It seems to me that our 'favorite marksman' is either jealous or, in the words of Henry Lachouque, the French historian of the Imperial Guard, 'only mediocre men are embarrassed by the presence of an elite.'

Sincerely,
M
Again... you've missed the point. But you sound like a poster boy for the Marines so have at it.

Old 16 Jul 12, 12:56
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Excellent reply.

Once again you've proven my point about your postings, et al.

And putting up a picture of Beck is not only disgusting, but shows great immaturity on your part.

Sincerely,
M
Old 16 Jul 12, 12:58
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massena View Post
Excellent reply.

Once again you've proven my point about your postings, et al.

And putting up a picture of Beck is not only disgusting, but shows great immaturity on your part.

Sincerely,
M
That picture is of you.... have you forgotten that moment when the Marines processed your retirement papers.
Old 16 Jul 12, 13:08
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

That has to be the dumbest posting I have seen on this forum in three years.

Sincerely,
M

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!