StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Napoleonic Era

Notices and Announcements

Napoleonic Era Discuss the many wars fought around the globe around the time of Napoleon. This forum is dedicated to the memory of Ben Weider and our late friend and long time ACG Staff member, Michael Brown, better known here as Post Captain.

Old 23 Nov 11, 09:43
Sergeant
Belgium
5 Year Service Ribbon 

ADC Toussaint is on the path to success [1-99]
Some Chasseur a Cheval regiments did dress in hussar-style uniforms, with the officers and NCOs wearing pelisse's in full dress also. The 5th Chasseurs were famous for it and they wore buff colored belts to boot. The 27th Chasseurs weren't alone in that respect.

Right Massena,

It was just an example among lots of exceptions
Old 28 Nov 11, 17:18
Sergeant
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

napschasseur is on the path to success [1-99] napschasseur is on the path to success [1-99]
First off, thanks to Zouave, for starting this thread. The comments and information has always been interesting. I'm humbled by the depth of knowledge of those who've been willing to pass-on what they know.

Currently, I'm working on an early Republic Hussar (Historex) with a sabretache very similar to the attached file. The limited documentation/image I have indicates it was used by Royal German Hussars that became part of the 5th Hussars (though I could very well be wrong on this regt). My reference material is limited and I was hoping for better images and/or a list of regiments that would have used this sabretache.

Greatly appreciate your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sabretache.JPG (49.4 KB, 99 views)
Old 28 Nov 11, 22:12
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by napschasseur View Post
First off, thanks to Zouave, for starting this thread. The comments and information has always been interesting. I'm humbled by the depth of knowledge of those who've been willing to pass-on what they know.

Currently, I'm working on an early Republic Hussar (Historex) with a sabretache very similar to the attached file. The limited documentation/image I have indicates it was used by Royal German Hussars that became part of the 5th Hussars (though I could very well be wrong on this regt). My reference material is limited and I was hoping for better images and/or a list of regiments that would have used this sabretache.

Greatly appreciate your help.
You mean similar to this type?

You example may well have belonged to a trumpeter.

Paul
Can win mans heart for you;
And many a blessing know to stew
To make a megloamaniac bright;
Give honour to the dainty Corse,
The Pixie is a little shite.

Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 28 Nov 11 at 22:25..
Old 29 Nov 11, 13:21
Sergeant
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

napschasseur is on the path to success [1-99] napschasseur is on the path to success [1-99]
Thanks Paul.
The first example looks good. I believe the next example is a little later than what I'm looking for, because it has the regimental number on the sabretache. I'm looking specifically for regts that had the "R" & "F" cipher, though I'm not sure what the "R" & "F" represented. My best guess would be maybe "la République française"
Old 30 Nov 11, 17:37
Sergeant Major
UK

Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99]
Massive number of French Hussar plates (covering pre-revolution to post Napoleonic eras) at

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv...1945%29.langEN

You will find a number had very similar sabretaches in the revolutionary period - but I haven't noticed one with the colour combination in the attachment.

Here are some other examples for Volunteer Hussar units:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hussars 1.jpg (174.3 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg Hussars 2.jpg (373.3 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg Hussars 3.jpg (365.1 KB, 164 views)

Last edited by Prinz Essling; 30 Nov 11 at 17:58..
Sponsored Links

Old 01 Dec 11, 08:27
First Lieutenant
England
5 Year Service Ribbon 

95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99]
British 71st (Glasgow) Highlanders

Firstly, many thanks to Zouave for this Uniform Discussion Thread, it was VERY much needed within this Forum.

And many thanks to all the very excellent contributions from all the members who have commented thus far.

I have a wee bit of a Uniform Problem regarding British 71st (Glasgow) Highlanders for the Waterloo Campaign. In spite of intensive searches through the depths of the Internet, I can't seem to come up with any pictures regarding Bagpipers in this Regiment. I know they were included within the ranks, I know they or their pipes were clothed in Mackenzie Tartan, and I even know they wore "Stovepipe" Shakos with "Highland Dicing", and a Green Plume, but can I as heck find a picture or a useful reference for ANYTHING on them.

ANYONE know anything about the British 71st, and if so, please, please, please SHARE it with me!
Old 01 Dec 11, 09:38
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
5 Year Service Ribbon 

the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95th Rifles View Post
Firstly, many thanks to Zouave for this Uniform Discussion Thread, it was VERY much needed within this Forum.

And many thanks to all the very excellent contributions from all the members who have commented thus far.

I have a wee bit of a Uniform Problem regarding British 71st (Glasgow) Highlanders for the Waterloo Campaign. In spite of intensive searches through the depths of the Internet, I can't seem to come up with any pictures regarding Bagpipers in this Regiment. I know they were included within the ranks, I know they or their pipes were clothed in Mackenzie Tartan, and I even know they wore "Stovepipe" Shakos with "Highland Dicing", and a Green Plume, but can I as heck find a picture or a useful reference for ANYTHING on them.

ANYONE know anything about the British 71st, and if so, please, please, please SHARE it with me!
If you look at the bottom picture of post 26 in the Waterloo Picture Appeal thread you'll find a model of a bagiper of the 71st (Glasgow) Highlanders produced by Frontline figures. I'm not sure which sorces frontline based this figure on but I believe it's quite accurate, since most frontline models are accurate. The rank and file did indeed wear the stovepipe Shakos but the bagpipers must have been an exeption because they were the only ones wearing the typical oustriche feather bonnet and kilt.
Old 01 Dec 11, 16:41
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinz Essling View Post
You will find a number had very similar sabretaches in the revolutionary period - but I haven't noticed one with the colour combination in the attachment.
That's why in a footnote to my post on this subject that perhaps the sabretache enquired about belonged to a trumpeter.

Paul
Old 02 Dec 11, 11:33
Sergeant
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Thank you, Priz Essling for the links and pics.
I knew there Era was colourful, but never realized the variety illustrated in the links. In this age of mass production, uniforms included, you could almost consider each uniform of these hussars a limited addition.

I noticed the illustration of the German Legion Officer with the green pelisse and red sabretache straps. Any idea what the colour of the dolman might have been.

Thanks again to all of you willing to share your links, pics and insights.

Regards,

Charles
Old 02 Dec 11, 16:41
Sergeant Major
UK

Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Thank you, Priz Essling for the links and pics.
I knew there Era was colourful, but never realized the variety illustrated in the links. In this age of mass production, uniforms included, you could almost consider each uniform of these hussars a limited addition.

I noticed the illustration of the German Legion Officer with the green pelisse and red sabretache straps. Any idea what the colour of the dolman might have been.

Thanks again to all of you willing to share your links, pics and insights.

Regards,

Charles
Just been glancing through "La Legion Germanique (1792-1793" by Arthur Chuquet (pages 19 to 22 recomposition & dress).

The Legion comprised all arms: 4 squadrons (2 companies of 62 men each) of cavalry which were a mix of cuirassiers legers & piconniers; infantry mix of arquebusiers (4 companies0 & chasseurs (2 battalions each of 4 companies) - infantry companies were 120 men strong; & 1 artillery company.

On page 21 Chuquet says the Picionniers wore a green habit, & chamois gilet, with white metal buttons in the style of hussars; Chuquet also mentions casque as the headwear.
Old 02 Dec 11, 17:07
Sergeant
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Thanks for the more specific info. What I had on the German Legion wasn't nearly as detailed.

Paul made a point about the sabretache perhaps being used by a trumpeter. Would this mean that there might be different sabretache in use within the same hussar regtiment?

Charles
Old 03 Dec 11, 08:52
Sergeant Major
UK

Quote:
Thanks for the more specific info. What I had on the German Legion wasn't nearly as detailed.

Paul made a point about the sabretache perhaps being used by a trumpeter. Would this mean that there might be different sabretache in use within the same hussar regtiment?

Charles
Certainly a yes in the Empire period - unfortunately I don'y have sufficient examples of the revolutionary period to give such an assurance but it is a possibility. Certainly for at least one of the regiments in the Empire period - the troopers of the elite company had a different colouring to the troopers of normal companies; trumpeters had a different colouring again; and of course officers had very richly embossed versions.
Old 03 Dec 11, 18:22
General of the Forums
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95th Rifles View Post

Keith,

Have you got Franklin's BRITISH NAPOLEONIC UNIFORMS?

And here's a piece from a Keith Roco site, the text though brief, is pretty good and to the point.

http://www.keithrocco.com/inventory/...?productid=187

Paul

Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 03 Dec 11 at 19:49..
Old 05 Dec 11, 09:25
First Lieutenant
England
5 Year Service Ribbon 

95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99]
Re: 71st Highland Pipers

Thanks for that information, Dibble201Bty. Sorry, but I haven't got that book, which is a shame, but I have checked that link to Keith Rocco that you so kindly provided, and it looks very promising. However, I should really like conformation of its details from a further secondary source before I commit myself.

So I've sent a very nice E-Mail to the Napoleonic Association, 71st Highlander Light Infantry section, and hopefully they may respond with an answer to my query - One never knows.

Out of interest, the only books on British Uniforms that I possess are:

Haythornthwaite, Philip J., "Uniforms Of Waterloo"
Pericoli, Ugo & Glover, Michael, "1815: The Armies At Waterloo"
Fosten, Donald S. V. and Bryan K., "The Thin Red Line: Uniforms Of The British Army Between 1751 & 1914"
Schick, I. T. (Edited by), "Battledress: The Uniforms Of The World's Great Armies 1700 To The Present"

A poor selection, I have to admit, and ones that do NOT really provide much information for the British 71st Foot, but a limited budget tends to forbid the purchase of more - if only I could win the lottery!

Thanks again for all your help Dibble201Bty - I'll keep you informed as to any results I may be lucky enough to get.
Old 05 Dec 11, 10:08
Sergeant
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Thanks Prinz Essling.
I'll have to pay closer attention to the descriptions and illustrations I come across. I knew different regiments had various designs and colours on the sabretache, but I didn't realize there might be so much variation within the regiment in addition to officers and troops.
Back to the books.....

Regards
Charles
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!