HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > First Person Shooters

Notices and Announcements

First Person Shooters For FPS games of all types and for all platforms.

Old 08 Sep 11, 17:08
General of the Forums
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300]
Who is getting BF3 on pre order?

who' going to buy BF3 on pre order? I have been looking at offers from EB, Game and JB Hi FI and the best one i would have to think would be Game you get free entry and equipment to selected paint gun parks in Aussie, you get special dog tags for the game, the expansion pack of return to karkland, you get the 8 specact kits, 4 bf2 maps re modeled and BF2 weapons for the price of $78 for the pc version online and if this if you order it in store it is $89 still pretty good price specialy if I trade a few games in

http://www.game.com.au/battlefield3
http://www.jbhifi.com.au/games/battlefield-3/
http://www.ebgames.com.au/pc-153116-...arfare-Pack-PC
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 09 Sep 11, 00:11
First Lieutenant
Canada
Model Forum Group Build 

Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99]
It looks like great fun, but I'm not giving in to more of EA's BS, so I'll have to pass altogether.
Old 09 Sep 11, 02:04
First Lieutenant
Ireland

irishtiger is on the path to success [1-99] irishtiger is on the path to success [1-99] irishtiger is on the path to success [1-99] irishtiger is on the path to success [1-99]
Battlefield 1942 FH is the best shooter game and will be hard to beat
BF3 seems brill too
Old 09 Sep 11, 04:47
General of the Forums
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtiger View Post
Battlefield 1942 FH is the best shooter game and will be hard to beat
BF3 seems brill too
In terms of evolving first persons shooters I totally agree in terms of graphics I would love to see BF3 attempts single player see if they can beat Bad company 1 (Don't take me wrong Bad company 2 story line was good but I loved the story line of being a **** up in the army finding your self behind enemy lines chasing down a mother load of gold and the crap they did was great and thats what I call a pure Battlefield single player in terms of the humour element in terms of what we Battlefield fans love) in terms of maps I can not wait to see the new Wake Island and karkand ( are they redoing Road to Jihalidad? I love the sniper battles you have on that map) and to see what they are like compared to BF 2 if I had BF2 and didn't play it at the net Cafe I would of almost played Wake Island 24/7 loved that map. So shows you the BF3 is like Darwins book on Evolution.

And please tell me you can say that for COD with out using a MOD example
Old 09 Sep 11, 18:56
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

No_Nickname is simply cracking [600]
No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600]
The more I hear about BF3, the more I want to slap the executives at DICE, but I won't make my final decision until I try the beta.

BC2 was by far the worst battlefield game I have played
"You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop
Old 09 Sep 11, 19:43
General of the Forums
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Nickname View Post
The more I hear about BF3, the more I want to slap the executives at DICE, but I won't make my final decision until I try the beta.

BC2 was by far the worst battlefield game I have played
what was wrong with BC2 ok the maps could of been a bit bigger
Old 11 Sep 11, 07:36
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

No_Nickname is simply cracking [600]
No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150935 View Post
what was wrong with BC2 ok the maps could of been a bit bigger
Listing the stuff off the top of my head (Work in progress)

1. It was a console port
  2. 3D spotting, motion mines
  3. No commander or commander assets
  4. No Jets
  5. Smaller maps
  6. 4 classes instead of 7, Medics had LMGs
  7. 4 per squad instead of 6 + no set squadleader
  8. Vehicles had specs, liked BF1942 and BF2 vehicles (prefer having everything vs having to choose)
  9. 12x scopes, spotting scope, and marksmanship headshots promoted useless wookies
  10. Smaller number of flags, conquest maps were ported from rush mode
  11. Helicopters were almost impossible to take out if the pilot was really good at least on the Xbox 360
  12. BC2 was a spinoff of the battlefield series, sorry but battlefield should have stuck to the PC
  13. Core and Hardcore mode (the way the PC series was set was fine, all it needed was improved hit reg)
Like I said, it's a work in progress and I will continue to add stuff as I think about it
"You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop
Old 20 Sep 11, 16:55
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100]
MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100]
Do the smart thing and wait for some reviews because many highly-anticipated games have failed miserably or it took 4 years of patches to debug 'em.

"Man is a military animal, glories in gunpowder, and loves parade."
--P. J. Bailey, British poet
Old 21 Sep 11, 16:44
Lieutenant Colonel
Portugal
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Castro is on a distinguished road [300] Castro is on a distinguished road [300] Castro is on a distinguished road [300] Castro is on a distinguished road [300] Castro is on a distinguished road [300] Castro is on a distinguished road [300] Castro is on a distinguished road [300] Castro is on a distinguished road [300] Castro is on a distinguished road [300] Castro is on a distinguished road [300] Castro is on a distinguished road [300] Castro is on a distinguished road [300] Castro is on a distinguished road [300] Castro is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Nickname View Post
[*]BC2 was a spinoff of the battlefield series, sorry but battlefield should have stuck to the PC
These guys are not selfless artists, its a business. Console titles simply make more money regardless of being the better game. Hence why even if Battlefield 3 is built firstly for PC it does still have console versions. And they will likely make most of the profit from those.
Old 27 Sep 11, 22:49
Corporal
New_Zealand

DetCord is on the path to success [1-99] DetCord is on the path to success [1-99] DetCord is on the path to success [1-99]
I'm enjoying the Beta. So much so, I made a vid... (In 1080p)

Kiwi by birth. American by choice. Soldier by the grace of God.
Sponsored Links

Old 28 Sep 11, 02:28
Captain
United_States

Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99]
Very nice! Now I'm jealous.
Old 28 Sep 11, 20:40
First Lieutenant
United_States

Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterZero View Post
Do the smart thing and wait for some reviews because many highly-anticipated games have failed miserably or it took 4 years of patches to debug 'em.
Same here wanting to if any horror stories first. Plus can't see paying a ton of money at start. Wait until the newness wares off.
Old 30 Sep 11, 09:44
Lieutenant Colonel
Portugal
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Castro is on a distinguished road [300] Castro is on a distinguished road [300] Castro is on a distinguished road [300] Castro is on a distinguished road [300] Castro is on a distinguished road [300] Castro is on a distinguished road [300] Castro is on a distinguished road [300] Castro is on a distinguished road [300] Castro is on a distinguished road [300] Castro is on a distinguished road [300] Castro is on a distinguished road [300] Castro is on a distinguished road [300] Castro is on a distinguished road [300] Castro is on a distinguished road [300]
I have the ps3 demo. The game is great, all the battlefield features we love and then some. I love the tripods, and the fact they take into account the round in the chamber, they added going prone, and a number of other interesting details. Teamwork based gameplay, tactical, etc. Overall the game pleases me very much and I will be prefering it over Modern Warfare.

But, there are two things in which I was disapointed, looks and destruction. It looks significantly worse than I expected in the beta, from the ps3 videos I had seen from the developers. I'm not comparing to PC, obviously it looks better on PC, but I saw ps3 multiplayer footage before the beta came out and it looked much better. As for destructability, what the hell? Bad Company 2 had far superior environment destruction both in variety (everything) and animation quality...
The game is only one month away from release, this beta looks like really old code. There are a number of things that make me optimistic: I hear the actual code dates back to the MoH release because it included this beta. And there was a big problem about the actual game size (more than one disk on Xbox) and the beta download is extremely small. So I'm fairly confident they are just testing the multiplayer networking, using an older version, and have nerfed the destruction and graphics significantly for the beta.
But if so, they should have informed people because as we know most consumers treat open betas as a demo for the game. This could hurt sales.
Old 30 Sep 11, 21:21
Corporal
New_Zealand

DetCord is on the path to success [1-99] DetCord is on the path to success [1-99] DetCord is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro View Post
I have the ps3 demo. The game is great, all the battlefield features we love and then some. I love the tripods, and the fact they take into account the round in the chamber, they added going prone, and a number of other interesting details. Teamwork based gameplay, tactical, etc. Overall the game pleases me very much and I will be prefering it over Modern Warfare.

But, there are two things in which I was disapointed, looks and destruction. It looks significantly worse than I expected in the beta, from the ps3 videos I had seen from the developers. I'm not comparing to PC, obviously it looks better on PC, but I saw ps3 multiplayer footage before the beta came out and it looked much better. As for destructability, what the hell? Bad Company 2 had far superior environment destruction both in variety (everything) and animation quality...
The game is only one month away from release, this beta looks like really old code. There are a number of things that make me optimistic: I hear the actual code dates back to the MoH release because it included this beta. And there was a big problem about the actual game size (more than one disk on Xbox) and the beta download is extremely small. So I'm fairly confident they are just testing the multiplayer networking, using an older version, and have nerfed the destruction and graphics significantly for the beta.
But if so, they should have informed people because as we know most consumers treat open betas as a demo for the game. This could hurt sales.
Read the dev blogs. They have all stated that 60+% of the GFX options are not enabled.

Plus you're playing on a PS3.... I mean come on. Even with the highest/latest contrast ratio TV ($7,250) you'll never see what we as PC gamers see. ****, you're talking about technology that is over six years old when it concerns a console version.

Kiwi by birth. American by choice. Soldier by the grace of God.

Last edited by DetCord; 30 Sep 11 at 21:25..
Old 01 Oct 11, 07:07
Lieutenant Colonel
Portugal
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetCord View Post
Plus you're playing on a PS3.... I mean come on. Even with the highest/latest contrast ratio TV ($7,250) you'll never see what we as PC gamers see. ****, you're talking about technology that is over six years old when it concerns a console version.
Let me highlight it for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro View Post
I'm not comparing to PC, obviously it looks better on PC

This forum section is for FPS games of all platforms, it says so under the title, and I was giving feedback on the ps3 beta because that's what I have. It looks uglier than other ps3 games and that was my point.
I think the fact I clearly made that remark and this is an all platform section should allow me to avoid the smug remarks of the PC elite hardcore yada yada crowd, but apparently not. Thanks friend! Very helpfull comment, I'm impressed at your gear, and humbled by it.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!