HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > First Person Shooters

Notices and Announcements

First Person Shooters For FPS games of all types and for all platforms.

Old 31 Aug 11, 00:59
First Lieutenant
Canada
Model Forum Group Build 

Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99]
Red Orchestra 2 Beta now available!

The beta just dropped for all those who ordered the Digital Deluxe Edition!

Who here is gonna be on?

Edit: My Steam is Elliot_CCR

Last edited by Immelmann; 31 Aug 11 at 01:42..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 31 Aug 11, 01:07
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Nebfer is on the path to success [1-99] Nebfer is on the path to success [1-99] Nebfer is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immelmann View Post

Who here is gonna be on?
Me but I got another 3 or 4 hours to DL, and bedtime.
Old 31 Aug 11, 01:42
First Lieutenant
Canada
Model Forum Group Build 

Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99]
What's your Steam?
Old 31 Aug 11, 09:52
Lieutenant General
United_States
Distinguished Service Award Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200]
Quote:

Who here is gonna be on?

Edit: My Steam is Elliot_CCR
Time to check email. I should have some goodies for publication on the front page soon!

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.
Old 31 Aug 11, 16:03
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Nebfer is on the path to success [1-99] Nebfer is on the path to success [1-99] Nebfer is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
What's your Steam?
same as my ACG name.
Old 01 Sep 11, 10:15
Private
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Flashman is on the path to success [1-99]
Just started playing the Beta here.

Buggy twitchfest or hidden gem? I'm not sure yet. Opinions?
Old 01 Sep 11, 11:03
Lieutenant General
United_States

LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
Just started playing the Beta here.

Buggy twitchfest or hidden gem? I'm not sure yet. Opinions?
It's still in Beta so calling it a bit buggy is recognizing it's unfinished.

Usually open betas are pretty polished, but this isn't EA we're talking about and Tripwire doesn't have access to infinite piles of money for QA.

That said, I haven't seen many bugs, but haven't been on since the Beta opened. Some kind of update downloaded last night - it's probably a good time to get in and see how things are going

Old 01 Sep 11, 16:07
Private
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Yesterday I could barely browse the server list. Could only access 1 of the 3maps and experienced multiple CTDs.

The large patch rolled out on Steam seems to have fixed all of that and yup have to keep reminding myself that its a Beta release anyway.

My overall impression of the game so far is that its just another shooter only not quite as polished as some. I guess lightning does not strike twice in the same place after all.

Last edited by Flashman; 01 Sep 11 at 16:12..
Old 15 Sep 11, 15:21
Private
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

I bailed out of the Beta and got a refund before the retail version was released.

Quote:
Hello,
A staff member has replied to your question:
Hello,
As requested, the title has been removed from your account and a credit has been applied to your Steam Wallet. The credit can be used for future Steam purchases.

To view your current available Steam Wallet balance:
- The current available balance will be listed in the upper right hand corner next to "[Your username]'s Account".
- In most cases, the new funds will automatically be displayed in your account.
- If this has not happened, please allow two hours for the transaction to fully complete.

Please note that we do not normally offer refunds on purchases made online. However, we will refund preorders as long as the request is received prior to the release of the game. This only applies to purchases made from your account, preordered titles sent or received through the Steam Trading system cannot be refunded.
Was hoping for Ro2 instead got something that reminds me of Day of Defeat. Too fast, too arcade like, too many gimmicks poorly implented.
Old 17 Sep 11, 10:19
Colonel
France
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300] VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300] VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300] VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300] VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300] VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300] VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300] VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300] VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300] VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300] VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300] VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300] VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300] VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300] VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Was hoping for Ro2 instead got something that reminds me of Day of Defeat. Too fast, too arcade like, too many gimmicks poorly implented.
I agree and keep playing Darkest Hour instead.

" Debout les morts, on change de cimetière !"
- Adjudant PERICARD, 1915 -
Sponsored Links

Old 17 Sep 11, 11:15
Brigadier General
Scotland
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
I also prefer RO1 plus DH though RO2 does have potential and there should be some significant improvement in a few months from now. I bet the upcoming PTO and Vietnam mods for it will be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VieuxChat View Post
I agree and keep playing Darkest Hour instead.
29th ID server?
Old 18 Sep 11, 06:58
Colonel
France
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300] VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300] VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300] VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300] VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300] VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300] VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300] VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300] VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300] VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300] VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300] VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300] VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300] VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300] VieuxChat is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
29th ID server
Yes, my name here is ">>--Jarek-->" or "Ney"

And you mate ?

(ho, and I wait for the5.1 patch: http://forums.darkesthourgame.com/vi...php?f=1&t=8641)

Old 18 Sep 11, 08:12
Brigadier General
Scotland
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VieuxChat View Post
Yes, my name here is ">>--Jarek-->" or "Ney"

And you mate ?
At the moment my Steam ID is StayFrosty but I change it every so often. I'm a member of the ACG steam group. Feel free to add me and I'll see you in the foxhole.

Quote:
(ho, and I wait for the5.1 patch: http://forums.darkesthourgame.com/vi...php?f=1&t=8641)
A lot of great changes there. I like the changes to DH 108. Played that a couple of days ago on the 29th server as the Americans and got slaughtered. We didn't even take the first objective.
Old 18 Sep 11, 16:12
Colonel
France

This map can be really frustrating. Make me feel I' m in this movie:

(I don' t know what to think about Steve Mc Queen' s triple mag grease gun ... )

(Sorry for being off-topic )

Old 19 Sep 11, 16:20
Lieutenant General
United_States

I spent about a hour playing the game before the sound mysteriously went out on it and I bailed.

The issue I see with the game is the map size.

In the original game the maps were tightly confined. Here, they actually feel like Russia - big expanses of open land.

To my mind the gameplay has only improved - you have realistic weapons ballistics with bullet drop, etc.

But the difference is that you now spend a lot of time trying to figure out where the other side is - or waiting for them to show up.

Red Orchestra 1 was a great game with lots of realism. Red Orchestra 2 is more like a true sim. You have to look around *every* corner and sniff out *every* errant sound because you just don't know when the other side is going to appear unexpectedly. I got whacked several times before I started to get the hang of it.

Artillery bombardments are hell. One of the guys in the same room as me got turned to hamburger as we waited. What saved me? I was prone and I guess a bit of luck. Next game I hid under the stairs until the bombardment passed.

The downside to the realism is that often the enemy is unseen. A silhouette darts by - was it friendly or not?

Further, let's say you take the shot. Some of the distances mean you'd either better be a crack shot or you might as well save your ammo.

In short, I suspect that some confined spaces like the old maps will probably bring back good memories. These huge maps will take a lot of time to figure out.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!