HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Board & Tabletop Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Board & Tabletop Gaming Board games, miniatures, and other similar games and topics.

Old 26 Jan 12, 09:13
General
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain General View Post
I'm very familiar with Hommlet and the Temple of Elemental Evil modules and the game by Atari but what computer system or game is this?
We are using the Fantasy Grounds Virtual TableTop with the OSRIC Ruleset. This ruleset is not as automated as some of the others, like the one for Rolemaster, but it does the job. For communication there is a built in chat screen but we are also using Skype. When I GM, I actually prefer NOT using Skype or voice as I find using chat text seems to bring out more detailed and colorful in-character roleplaying because then not every NPC ends up having the same voice.
Old 26 Jan 12, 11:36
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Deuce View Post
We are using the Fantasy Grounds Virtual TableTop with the OSRIC Ruleset. This ruleset is not as automated as some of the others, like the one for Rolemaster, but it does the job. For communication there is a built in chat screen but we are also using Skype. When I GM, I actually prefer NOT using Skype or voice as I find using chat text seems to bring out more detailed and colorful in-character roleplaying because then not every NPC ends up having the same voice.
So it's like Vassal but for pen and paper RPG'S?

Very cool!

Homer

BoRG
Old 27 Jan 12, 03:33
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Friday night Avanced Squad Leader!
Might be my last Friday night session for a few weeks.
Old 27 Jan 12, 06:51
General
United_States

Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain General View Post
So it's like Vassal but for pen and paper RPG'S?

Very cool!
Yeah basically. I'll try to get some more screenshots and maybe a video of some game play to see what you can do, maybe even show the 3D dice in action. Seeing the dice bounce across the screen really helps set the table top RPG mood.

I'll probably start a new thread so I don't continue hijacking Duncan's "What are you playing this weekend?" one.
Old 27 Jan 12, 14:08
Recruit
United_States

Nghtflame7 is on the path to success [1-99]
Tomorrow a friend is coming over for some ASL. I'm defending as the Italians and Germans against his US forces in "Recon In Force" scenario G8. I just got back into ASL (and wargaming in general) in the last year or two, so I'm pretty rusty. So far I have not won a single scenario (out of about 8 played.)
Old 27 Jan 12, 21:17
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nghtflame7 View Post
Tomorrow a friend is coming over for some ASL. I'm defending as the Italians and Germans against his US forces in "Recon In Force" scenario G8. I just got back into ASL (and wargaming in general) in the last year or two, so I'm pretty rusty. So far I have not won a single scenario (out of about 8 played.)
Welcome to the forums mate!
Old 29 Jan 12, 07:28
General
United_States

Spent yesterday morning after work playing 1e AD&D with the kids. I was impressed how creative my son was when trying to open this chest he just knew had to be trapped. Of course my daughter was not amused when he finally managed to trigger the dart trap and it her MU was the one who ended up getting perforated.
Old 01 Feb 12, 21:17
Lieutenant Colonel
Kenya
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Just finished up the second battle in my on going Dark Age Fantasy Campaign. Follow Harlin and his men as they search for supplies but run into a problem.

The Raid

For more info on the campaign itself

Thanks for looking!!
Old 02 Feb 12, 14:49
Private
Canada

Dwalsh is on the path to success [1-99]
I have got some guys coming over and we are going to be going old school with some Axis&Allies. If that works put well we are going to try an old expansion for it that I have. (assuming I can find it.)
Old 06 Feb 12, 13:52
General
United_States

So, only into our second session of the Village of Hommlet and not being ones to take things slow we locate the Evil Master and immediately go right at him and his minions.

We make contact and the Wizard throws a web and gets the main group coming at us. Rather than close in and poke at them with sword and spear the group sits back so that the Ranger can use his bow. I take my time and unload my quiver into the "immobile" enemies. 20 arrows and 3 friggin hits . . . 1st level sucks!

As the rest of the party gives me that wtf look, someone lights the web, killing most of the guys I couldn't seem to hit and next thing you know another bunch comes storming around the corner and the head evil guys comes out the door.

Guess its back to the spear and shield but hey, at least I haven't been knocked out the 1st round this time.

Old 06 Feb 12, 22:42
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General

I'm going to finish of a Silver Star scenario for Ambush right now. Unfortunately by finish I mean that I hope to extract two of eight men from a failed mission.
Old 07 Feb 12, 12:31
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400]
Hopefully some more ADnD 1ed. Would love to get a game of DBA/HotT or Clan War in.

Better to fight and fall than to live without hope.
Old 07 Feb 12, 13:57
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hida Akechi View Post
Hopefully some more ADnD 1ed. Would love to get a game of DBA/HotT or Clan War in.
A bit of Yom Kippur before I work on a paper today. Wow, that's a fluid game.
We're playing 3.5 this weekend. Not sure is it's my campaign or my wife's though.

Old 07 Feb 12, 18:09
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400]
Girlfriend runs 3.5 on occassion.

Better to fight and fall than to live without hope.
Old 07 Feb 12, 20:07
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General

Just got some components in the mail and I'm going to do some proof-reading and play testing for VPG this weekend. I'll have to fit it in while my wife is playing SWTOR.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!