HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Board & Tabletop Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Board & Tabletop Gaming Board games, miniatures, and other similar games and topics.

Old 14 Jan 12, 20:15
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build Victor Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Playing Ambush - Silver Star right now. Got a diver in melee and just threw a grenade short wounding my own man. oops Out of eight men four are wonded and one is incapacitated. This scenario is going south quick.
Old 15 Jan 12, 01:03
Lieutenant General
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
Went for Friday evening ASL but we had an odd number so five of us played Fighting Wings. This is my first experience with it. It's an excellent game but very complex and not something you should start at 8pm. I didn't stay to the end but I really enjoyed it.

I have thought about trying to pick that series up but I already have Air Force/Dauntless. Are you familiar with those? If so how much more complicated or easier is it?
Old 15 Jan 12, 01:26
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon SPQR Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Been playing Paths of Glory on Vassal with an old high school buddy.

Great game!

Homer

BoRG

Last edited by Captain General; 15 Jan 12 at 14:43..
Old 15 Jan 12, 01:52
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build Victor Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Deuce View Post
I have thought about trying to pick that series up but I already have Air Force/Dauntless. Are you familiar with those? If so how much more complicated or easier is it?
I'm not familiar with Air Force/Dauntless. When someone suggested playing Fighting Wings he said, "It's like ASL with airplanes." It is very complex and long to play. If you don't like numerous charts and sheets of statistics, or lots of writing and calculating - it isn't for you. I played about three hours, never fired a shot, and it represented about 12 seconds of time. I'm told it goes a lot quicker if everyone knows the rules. Two people from a side can process their turns at the same time - saving huge time. The first few turns were me saying what I wanted to do and Rick hanging over my shoulder explaining how it would work in the rules. I think it would help if you were an actual air force combat pilot. Did I mention it's complex? I think it's an excellent game but it isn't one you can pick up and play.

Here's a data sheet for a zero. There are also many charts you have to reference to fly and shoot.

Old 15 Jan 12, 03:25
Lieutenant General
United_States

Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300]
Probably run about the same difficulty then. Here is the F4U-1 Corsair card from Dauntless.

Sponsored Links

Old 15 Jan 12, 10:43
Lieutenant Colonel
Kenya
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Learned and played the first scenario in 'The Lord of the Rings The Card Game' last night. It was good fun and the cards have excellent artwork. Best of all I can play solo.

Thanks for looking!!
Old 19 Jan 12, 09:36
Lieutenant General
United_States

Well since technically my weekend is Tuesday-Thursday here is my PC from a newly started old school World of Greyhawk campaign using the OSRIC Ruleset and Fantasy Grounds II. We are starting the campaign off using the Village of Hommlet module and plan to make it a regularly scheduled Wednesday night game. We have 7 players so far and have just gotten to the outskirts of the Moathouse.

I can't believe the group walked right into that Giant Frog ambush outside the main gate but then its been 30+ years since I played this module.

Here is my newbie Ranger.

Old 19 Jan 12, 13:18
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain General View Post
Been playing Paths of Glory on Vassal with an old high school buddy.

Great game!

I've heard great things about this game. Might pick up a copy next time it's on sale.
Old 19 Jan 12, 13:19
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General

Quote:
Well since technically my weekend is Tuesday-Thursday here is my PC from a newly started old school World of Greyhawk campaign using the OSRIC Ruleset and Fantasy Grounds II. We are starting the campaign off using the Village of Hommlet module and plan to make it a regularly scheduled Wednesday night game. We have 7 players so far and have just gotten to the outskirts of the Moathouse.

I can't believe the group walked right into that Giant Frog ambush outside the main gate but then its been 30+ years since I played this module.

Here is my newbie Ranger.
Those frogs were my first ever combat in D&D waaaay back when. I'm pretty sure that Elmo saved our bacon.
Old 20 Jan 12, 02:30
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon SPQR Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Those frogs were my first ever combat in D&D waaaay back when. I'm pretty sure that Elmo saved our bacon.
Has anyone else played The Temple of Elemental Evil PC game?

It's the exact module.

A bit buggy but it's fun to see all the old locations in game.

Homer

BoRG
Old 20 Jan 12, 02:44
General of the Forums
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Doing some late night Battue.
Every dead Palestinian child is a war crime and the perps of this atrocity are Hamas. They fired rockets into Israel and used children to shield their weapons. The blood of the children is on them alone.
Old 20 Jan 12, 03:04
General
United_States

Quote:
I've heard great things about this game. Might pick up a copy next time it's on sale.
Have you ever played using Vassal?

You don't have to have the physical copy of the game to play.

Everything you need is online or included in the Vassal module.

If you're interested I'll play a game of it with you using Vassal.

Homer

BoRG
Old 20 Jan 12, 12:48
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain General View Post
Have you ever played using Vassal?

You don't have to have the physical copy of the game to play.

Everything you need is online or included in the Vassal module.

If you're interested I'll play a game of it with you using Vassal.
I do 90% of my gaming by VASSAL. I'm familiar with GMT and their awsome VASSAL support as well. I like having a copy of the game though. The only WWI game I have is an unpunched copy of Grand Illusion. But I think Paths of Glory will wait for P500 or a P500+ sale.

I'm playing Advanced Squad Leader tonight face-to-face. Gotta get an essay underway though.
Old 26 Jan 12, 07:34
Lieutenant General
United_States

The adventure into the "Moathouse" outside of Hommlet continues. Although my Ranger led the group into another ambush, this time by bandits, (I need new virtual dice ) we managed to survive and eliminate the threat.

Next, we headed underground through a hidden passage only to stumble into a group Bugbears. Thankfully, we weren't caught off-guard this time and managed to pin them into a narrow hallway giving the wizards time to work their magic. This fight went much better for my PC and he actually lasted the whole fight.

Old 26 Jan 12, 07:54
General
United_States

Quote:
The adventure into the "Moathouse" outside of Hommlet continues. Although my Ranger led the group into another ambush, this time by bandits, (I need new virtual dice ) we managed to survive and eliminate the threat.

Next, we headed underground through a hidden passage only to stumble into a group Bugbears. Thankfully, we weren't caught off-guard this time and managed to pin them into a narrow hallway giving the wizards time to work their magic. This fight went much better for my PC and he actually lasted the whole fight.

I'm very familiar with Hommlet and the Temple of Elemental Evil modules and the game by Atari but what computer system or game is this?

Homer

BoRG
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!