HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Board & Tabletop Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Board & Tabletop Gaming Board games, miniatures, and other similar games and topics.

Old 22 Apr 13, 23:47
Lieutenant General
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300]
Chess

I haven't noticed any recent threads on chess so I thought I would start one to open discussion of the game. How many people here play chess? Any specific strategies you use?

Would love to hear from you.

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 23 Apr 13, 00:48
Brigadier General
Pirate

Delenda estRoma is on the path to success [1-99] Delenda estRoma is on the path to success [1-99] Delenda estRoma is on the path to success [1-99] Delenda estRoma is on the path to success [1-99] Delenda estRoma is on the path to success [1-99] Delenda estRoma is on the path to success [1-99] Delenda estRoma is on the path to success [1-99]
I play chess and while I'm no prodigy I'm a fair player. I don't use a specific strategt except using a system of traps really.

Pm for more details.
Old 23 Apr 13, 00:55
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600]
Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600]
If the question is, do you play chess, then yes.

If the question is, do you play chess well, then no.
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 23 Apr 13, 03:12
General
Belgium

Snowygerry is a jewel in the rough [500]
Snowygerry is a jewel in the rough [500] Snowygerry is a jewel in the rough [500] Snowygerry is a jewel in the rough [500] Snowygerry is a jewel in the rough [500] Snowygerry is a jewel in the rough [500] Snowygerry is a jewel in the rough [500] Snowygerry is a jewel in the rough [500] Snowygerry is a jewel in the rough [500] Snowygerry is a jewel in the rough [500] Snowygerry is a jewel in the rough [500]
Play as an amateur, the same things I love in it prevent me for ever becoming good at it,

It's very stylized, consequences of moves are not always immediately clear, it's also rather unforgiving, a single mistake can seal a game and it's very difficult to compensate several mediocre moves with a single brilliant one.

Consequent methodical thought and long-term concentration are not my strongest points

Still the form and history make it an amazing game,

also it has a curious emotional effect on people, losing at chess is often regarded as a negative direct reflection on one's intelligence - which among players of roughly equal level gives it a psychological aspect as well
Old 23 Apr 13, 12:44
Lieutenant General
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300]
I am no expert myself and when people start talking about the Kings Gambit and Silicilian Defense I get lost but a couple of things I learned:

1. Castling is a good way to protect your king but it takes time to develop and better players go on the attack and can keep you on the defensive the rest of the game.

2. Controlling the center of the board is key to winning the game.

3. Don't be afraid to use your Queen. When I first started I tried to save my Queen for when I got in trouble but that just backfired. I began to realize that if you have a piece that can move pretty much anywhere than use it.
Old 23 Apr 13, 13:35
Lord Of The English Manor
UK
Distinguished Service Award Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
It's a young person's game. I taught Number One Son how to play when he was 6-years-old.

By our 4th. game he was beating me consistently.

Philip
Old 23 Apr 13, 13:45
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600]
Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipLaos View Post
It's a young person's game. I taught Number One Son how to play when he was 6-years-old.

By our 4th. game he was beating me consistently.

Philip
So what you're saying is that you're a ninja master at teaching, right?
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 24 Apr 13, 19:04
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Bwaha has earned the respect of all [900] Bwaha has earned the respect of all [900]
Bwaha has earned the respect of all [900] Bwaha has earned the respect of all [900] Bwaha has earned the respect of all [900] Bwaha has earned the respect of all [900] Bwaha has earned the respect of all [900] Bwaha has earned the respect of all [900] Bwaha has earned the respect of all [900] Bwaha has earned the respect of all [900] Bwaha has earned the respect of all [900]
I love playing chess...

I recommend uchess as a place to find fast games...

http://www.uchess.com/

I love blitz chess...
Old 25 Apr 13, 20:52
Private First Class
United_States

Ysparrowsmith is on the path to success [1-99]
My father taught me how to play (great memories) and I've taught all my kids. He used to say that chess was like life, you had to think at least 12 moves ahead and be willing to make sacrifices to get what you wanted
Old 25 Apr 13, 20:59
UK

PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysparrowsmith View Post
My father taught me how to play (great memories) and I've taught all my kids. He used to say that chess was like life, you had to think at least 12 moves ahead and be willing to make sacrifices to get what you wanted
12 moves ahead?

How many millions of possibilities would that entail?

I struggled to think 3 moves ahead.

Philip

Old 25 Apr 13, 21:17
Private First Class
United_States

Chuckle, tell me about it! I always wondered if he REALLY was able to do that or if he was pulling my leg! Lol but on research, top professional chess players are said to actually do so. ;-o
Old 25 Apr 13, 21:39
UK

In chess, once you get beyond the first 2 moves, the number of possible scenarios starts to become beyond astronomical.

Quote:
A typical game lasts about 40 moves to resignation of one party. This is conservative for our calculation since the machine would calculate out to checkmate, not resignation. However, even at this figure there will be 10120 variations to be calculated from the initial position. A machine operating at the rate of one variation per micro-second would require over 1090 years to calculate the first move!

Philip
Old 25 Apr 13, 21:56
Private First Class
United_States

[/QUOTE]"Asked how many moves ahead he can think, Kasparov replied that it depended on the positions of the pieces. "Normally, I would calculate three to five moves," he said. "You don't need more.... But I can go much deeper if it is required." For example, in a position involving forced moves, it's possible to look ahead as many as 12 or 14 moves, he noted." -http://www.maa.org/mathland/mathland1.html[QUOTE]

But they do it!
Old 25 Apr 13, 21:57
Private First Class
United_States

Lol sorry, I'm new to the forum and obviously haven't figured out how to do the quotes etc correctly
Old 25 Apr 13, 22:01
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysparrowsmith View Post
Lol sorry, I'm new to the forum and obviously haven't figured out how to do the quotes etc correctly
For some reason, your quote tags were reversed. The end tag should be [/QUOTE]....note the forward slash. The initial tag has no slash. i.e. just [QUOTE]

Philip

Last edited by PhilipLaos; 25 Apr 13 at 22:06..

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!