StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Orders of Battle

Notices and Announcements

Orders of Battle Orders-of-battle, TO&E's, and related information on who fought where and what they brought to the battle.

Old 30 Jun 11, 22:53
Lance Corporal
United_States

patches is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF1987 View Post
Wasent there also an independent infantry regiment split between Puerto Rico and the Panama Canal Zone as well? I believe it was disbanded when the Canal Zone went back to Panama in 1999.
That might have been a NG unit.check it out for us, goolgle PRNG and PRAR
Old 03 Jul 11, 16:07
Corporal
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

shrike6 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches View Post
Thank you. if you can find out if the units where the the same ones during the 1960s, as that is the only time period im interrested in. thank's kevin.
I can't speak for all the brigades but I do know the 187th had those designations from 1963 to 1994 with two exceptions. The Support Battalion was not authorized for the brigade until 1964. From 1963 to 1968, it also had an armor battalion attached with the designation 9-34th.

As far as the 191st IB, it existed from 1963-1968. It was HQd in Helena, MT. It's cavalry troop was D Troop, 8th Cavalry. The 4-11th Field Artillery based in Salt Lake City was its FA Battalion from 1963-1964. And that it had one Inf Battalion, one Mech Battalion and two Armor Battalions in 1965. That's all I know for sure about the 191st IB at this point. Although I'd speculate that the 8-40th Armor from Tucson, AZ was probably one of the armor battalions. I don't have a complete lineage for the 8-40th, just up to 1960, but I do know it was a part of the 96th ID which was the predecessor unit for the 191st IB but that is by no means confirmation.

The 205th IB had 3 Inf Battalions, 1 Mech Battalion and 1 Armor in 1965. It's Cavalry Troop was Troop E, 4th Cavalry. The E/4th Cavalry, 1-409th Inf, 1- 410th inf, and 3-3rd Inf are confirmed to have served from start till deactivation.

The 157th IB had one Infantry Battalion, one MEch Battalion, and two armor battalions in 1965. The 1-314th, 1-315th inf, c/9th Cavalry and 6-68th Armor are confirmed to have served with the 157th from start till deactivation.

Last edited by shrike6; 03 Jul 11 at 19:37..
Old 03 Jul 11, 23:41
Lance Corporal
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike6 View Post
I can't speak for all the brigades but I do know the 187th had those designations from 1963 to 1994 with two exceptions. The Support Battalion was not authorized for the brigade until 1964. From 1963 to 1968, it also had an armor battalion attached with the designation 9-34th.

As far as the 191st IB, it existed from 1963-1968. It was HQd in Helena, MT. It's cavalry troop was D Troop, 8th Cavalry. The 4-11th Field Artillery based in Salt Lake City was its FA Battalion from 1963-1964. And that it had one Inf Battalion, one Mech Battalion and two Armor Battalions in 1965. That's all I know for sure about the 191st IB at this point. Although I'd speculate that the 8-40th Armor from Tucson, AZ was probably one of the armor battalions. I don't have a complete lineage for the 8-40th, just up to 1960, but I do know it was a part of the 96th ID which was the predecessor unit for the 191st IB but that is by no means confirmation.

The 205th IB had 3 Inf Battalions, 1 Mech Battalion and 1 Armor in 1965. It's Cavalry Troop was Troop E, 4th Cavalry. The E/4th Cavalry, 1-409th Inf, 1- 410th inf, and 3-3rd Inf are confirmed to have served from start till deactivation.

The 157th IB had one Infantry Battalion, one MEch Battalion, and two armor battalions in 1965. The 1-314th, 1-315th inf, c/9th Cavalry and 6-68th Armor are confirmed to have served with the 157th from start till deactivation.
I have it here, from stanton the 3rd battalion 17th infantry was the initial regular cars battalion , it served from when the 205th inf bde (sep) was activated i march 1963 to january 1968, it was then the 3rd battalion 3rd infantry became a componate of the brigade in both case it was a regular army numbered inf unit,s both apparantly stationed in council bluffs,iowa.

So i was mistaken i must have been the 3rd inf DI i seen on that plaque, and i would as my memory returns on this and the more i think about it that it was in fact the 3rd inf. Seeing that the 187th inf bde used exclusively regular army numbered units with the other one useing cav and arty, with the 205th having them with at least one inf unit i was wondering why this was so.The reserves have a plethora of these units, and i always wondered why they where not activated,rather than active/regular cars battalions.
Old 08 Jul 11, 16:38
Major General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
That might have been a NG unit.check it out for us, goolgle PRNG and PRAR
Ok I found it, I was referring to the 295th and 296th Infantry Regiments ... both now fall under the 92nd Maneuver Enhancement Brigade along with the legendary 65th Infantry Regiment, so that would be the Puerto Rico Army National Guard and not the US Army Reserve - sorry for any confusion

There is also a Puerto Rico State Guard separate from the Puerto Rico National Guard - unlike many of the mainland state defense forces the Puerto Rico State Guard is actually capable of limited operational duties.
Old 08 Jul 11, 23:43
Lance Corporal
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF1987 View Post
Ok I found it, I was referring to the 295th and 296th Infantry Regiments ... both now fall under the 92nd Maneuver Enhancement Brigade along with the legendary 65th Infantry Regiment, so that would be the Puerto Rico Army National Guard and not the US Army Reserve - sorry for any confusion

There is also a Puerto Rico State Guard separate from the Puerto Rico National Guard - unlike many of the mainland state defense forces the Puerto Rico State Guard is actually capable of limited operational duties.
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE 191st INF BDE:
Sponsored Links

Old 12 Oct 11, 09:42
Corporal
United_States

shrike6 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
I have it here, from stanton the 3rd battalion 17th infantry was the initial regular cars battalion , it served from when the 205th inf bde (sep) was activated i march 1963 to january 1968, it was then the 3rd battalion 3rd infantry became a componate of the brigade in both case it was a regular army numbered inf unit,s both apparantly stationed in council bluffs,iowa.
The 3-3rd Infantry was HQ at Fort Snelling not Council Bluffs. It was activated in 1959 as 3rd BG 3rd Infantry and was a part of the 103rd Infantry Division. When the 205th replaced the 103rd in 1963, that's when the 3-3rd became apart of the brigade. So it was there at the beginning of the brigade.
Old 26 Feb 14, 11:16
Recruit
United_States

edgeer is a balanced individual [0]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lirelou View Post
As a former almost-member of the 187th Infantry Brigade, headquartered in Fort Devens, Massachusetts, I can assure you that in the 1970s it had three infantry battalions. the 3/16th, the 3/18th, and the 3/35th Infantry (IIRC). One in Maine/New Hampshire, one in Lawrence, MA, and one (the 35th Inf) in Worcester, MA. They were standard 'light infantry' (meaning non-Mech in those days).

Almost member= member of SF IMA unit assigned to Panama, desperately trying to get a drill-paying slot as a Major in the 187th Inf. Pulled down a promise of assignment as the Bde SQT Training Standards Officer, put in 12 to 20 hours of unpaid service a week getting all the SQT materials inventoried and out to units for about six months, only to be informed that I was in the running to command one of the reserve infantry battalions just as the Army notified me that I had been approved for return to active duty. All that unpaid time down the tubes, but hey, that's why it was called 'doing time for the flag'. Learned a lot, and don't regret the lost paid time to this day. Met some really committed and interesting people.

Oh, in the 70s/80s there were two independent infantry battalions in the Army Reserve. The 3/87th Infantry at Fort Carson, commanded by a AGR LTC named Jim Peck (IIRC), and the 100th Bn, 442nd Infantry at Fort Shafter, HI, with companies in Hawaii, Guam, and American Samoa.
Just joined and discovered this thread. I know this is about 2-3 years late but I to want to reply.

For me I was a member of the 187th Inf Bde Separate. I served with Trp D 5th Cav. (Arm) from Jan 75- Nov 76. At that time I transferred to Active duty.

Troop D was a Blue troop. Our MTOE consisted of 1 HQ platoon and 3 Line platoon. Our line platoons composed of 1 Infantry squad, 1 Tank section and 1 Mortar squad (4.2 inch). In 1975, we had the basic M113 (gas engine) and the M48A5. However, in early 76 we converted to M113A1s and M60A1.

Besides the standard assignment and mission to provide reconnaissance to the brigade, we also had a real world mission to deploy to Europe to either provide security of installations on Iceland or being assigned to V Corp. In fact in mid-76, we were put on Alert for deployment. The alert was finally cancelled after 48 hours and after we had completed uploaded/ packed the entire company to be airlifted.
Old 12 Mar 14, 16:09
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99]
I'm surprised to hear that the Army Reserve had any infantry units at all.
Old 12 Mar 14, 16:50
General of the Forums
United_States

Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800]
Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800]
There were some artillery battalions as well. One of their batterys was located on the same Federal property as the USMC reserve unit I was a member of from 1987 to 1993. It was a M110 SP unit, with some battalion HQ personnel drilling with it as well. Several things stick in my mind about it: 1. it was not mobilized for Desert Shield/Storm. 2. In late 1991 it underwent a Army IG inspection, which among other things found a pistol had been missing for six years & the battery commanders had been signing off on it being physically seen during inventory. It had actually been in a police evidence locker downstate Illinois during those years. 3. The battery went for extended lengths without field training or firing a actual round down range. One member told us he had not seen a shot fired in the 20+ months he had been a member of the reserve unit.
Old 12 Mar 14, 16:54
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava188 View Post
I'm surprised to hear that the Army Reserve had any infantry units at all.
It did have some, but I think they are gone now. The 100th/442nd is the only one I can recall.

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 14 Mar 14, 12:06
Brigadier General
UK

Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Are US Forces personnel who have completed the service they have signed up for, automatically placed on a reserve list?

I'm not sure about the situation in the UK at present [doubtless it can be Googled], but when my dad's 25yrs. was up he was automatically placed on a reserve list [not the Territorials/National Guard], for I believe a period of 5 years. If an emergency had blown up during that time he would have been dragged back, effectively into the Regulars again at his leaving rank, pay and seniority - for the duration of the crisis.
Old 14 Mar 14, 12:20
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
There is an Unorganized Individual Reserve and we have the Organized Reserve. Individual Reservists are recently discharged soldiers that have not asked to be sent to a Reserve unit. You can volunteer for the National Guard or Army Reserve. Lake Charles, where I grew up has an Army Reserve Finance Company and a HQ Company for the 3rd Battalion 156th Infantry LANG. Some guys may not get a choice. I don't see Medical Doctors getting a choice, for instance.

Pruitt

Old 14 Mar 14, 15:34
Banned
Armchair_General

Cyan67 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cyan67 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cyan67 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cyan67 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cyan67 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cyan67 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cyan67 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cyan67 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cyan67 has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
Some guys may not get a choice. I don't see Medical Doctors getting a choice, for instance.

Pruitt
Ah, specialty thy name is pigeon hole.

I think the 100/442 is the only remaining ground combat unit in the reserves save maybe some FA.

MPR
Old 17 Mar 14, 04:57
France

I had an infected toe nail and went to my old employer's medical clinic. The doctor was a nice Black Lady recently released from the Navy. She took one look at my toenail and threw up her hands and said I would have to go to a podiatrist! She also said she had never pulled a nail before! I said, a Navy Doctor who never pulled a toe nail? Then she said she had been assigned to the maternity ward! I ended up getting that toe nail pulled twice! It is still ugly looking, but it isn't infected.

Pruitt

Old 18 Mar 14, 13:45
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Naffenea is simply cracking [600]
Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
It did have some, but I think they are gone now. The 100th/442nd is the only one I can recall.

Pruitt
It's still active. They deployed to Balad, Iraq 2005-2006.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!