StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Orders of Battle

Notices and Announcements

Orders of Battle Orders-of-battle, TO&E's, and related information on who fought where and what they brought to the battle.

Old 21 May 11, 14:14
Lance Corporal
United_States

patches is on the path to success [1-99]
U.S. Army Reserve Infantry Unit's

I would like to know the order of battle of the four u.s. army reserve infantry brigade's during the vietnam war from 1963 on. Can't find any thing on these unit's really. I just go round and round trying to google the info of these unit,s. They are are the 157th inf bde, 187th inf bde, 191st inf bde, and the 205th inf bde.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 22 May 11, 20:00
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I found TOE's on all four. I just googled it. When I started looking at Reserve and Guard units in the 80's there were only two Combat Brigades and one Armor Battalion in the Reserve at the time. Definitely one was the 187th (Mech) in Pennsylvania and a unit of the 40th Armor in Arizona. I believe the 157th was an infantry (leg) brigade in Minnesota. The 100/442nd INF, composed of units in Hawaii, Guam, Saipan, Samoa is the only combat Army Reserve unit.

Since then all Army Reserve units have converted to Combat Support and Training roles. The local Army Reserve unit is a Finance Company.

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 23 May 11, 00:35
Lance Corporal
United_States

Thank's for the reponse. where did you get the info. i gooled these unit's and i did'nt see any thing i wanted to see. even the wikipedia's where of no use all they had where just histories of the brigade's, no list of subordanant unit's also they where listing's of unit that had nothing to to with the unit i was looking for. The 205th was from minnisota so maybe ii'll try googling minnisota army reserve.The former nisi unit was interresting but i thought it was i componate of the hawwii natinal guard,s 29th inf bde.During the vietnam war the 29th inf bde was federalized andmoved to schofield barrack's. i was a unit that might have been sent to vietnam.In shelby stanton's vietnam order of battle one of it's manouver battalion's was the 100th battalion442nd inf. was it a reserve unit simply seconed to the NG. any get on back .kevin.
Old 23 May 11, 02:57
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
First off the 29th Infantry Brigade was attached to the 25th Infantry Division. When the 25th went to the Pearl of the Orient, the 29th activated and occupied Schofield Barracks. While the unit stayed, most of the individuals were sent to Vietnam.

Two weeks ago I had some little almanacs on the National Guard and Army Reserve. I bought them in the early 80's. When the Sheriff sold my house out from under me, I had to make a decision on what to take and they did not make the cut! I had to leave half my library. My sister told me today the new owner had a garage sale! I am glad I was out of town.

The subordinate units are mentioned in the wiki articles. You just need to know what period you are looking for.

The 29th Infantry Brigade has a strange history. Once it had all its units in Hawaii. Since the 100th/442INF is so famous they attached it to the Brigade. Then they cut the Hawaii National Guard Infantry battalions from three to two. Now they only have one Hawaii battalion. The 184th Infantry unit from the California National Guard may still be attached to the 40th Infantry Division. The Oregon Cavalry Troop was once in the another brigade.

Secretary Rumsfeldt screwed everything up when he decreed brigades would go from three combat arms battalions to two. The extra slots in the active Army went to build new brigades. The National Guard was told to deactivate infantry, armor and cavalry units and create combat support units. It will take years for the National Guard to start up new combat arms battalions.

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 23 May 11, 15:39
Colonel
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200]
Patches,

If you get a chance have a look at page 63 (pdf doc page 62) of 'Brigade' by John J McGrath available on-line here. It has a chart of the units which made up the 187th Infantry Brigade Separate, as well as a discussion of Army brigades of the post-war time period.

I would also recommend this book, 'Maneuver and Firepower' by John B Wilson, which also deals extensively with brigades in all three components of the Army (Active, Reserve and National Guard).

Finally, go the CARL digital library and start searching. The best place to look for the arcane details of US Army history.

Cheers,
Dan.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)

Last edited by Dan M; 23 May 11 at 19:31..
Old 24 May 11, 00:42
General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
As a former almost-member of the 187th Infantry Brigade, headquartered in Fort Devens, Massachusetts, I can assure you that in the 1970s it had three infantry battalions. the 3/16th, the 3/18th, and the 3/35th Infantry (IIRC). One in Maine/New Hampshire, one in Lawrence, MA, and one (the 35th Inf) in Worcester, MA. They were standard 'light infantry' (meaning non-Mech in those days).

Almost member= member of SF IMA unit assigned to Panama, desperately trying to get a drill-paying slot as a Major in the 187th Inf. Pulled down a promise of assignment as the Bde SQT Training Standards Officer, put in 12 to 20 hours of unpaid service a week getting all the SQT materials inventoried and out to units for about six months, only to be informed that I was in the running to command one of the reserve infantry battalions just as the Army notified me that I had been approved for return to active duty. All that unpaid time down the tubes, but hey, that's why it was called 'doing time for the flag'. Learned a lot, and don't regret the lost paid time to this day. Met some really committed and interesting people.

Oh, in the 70s/80s there were two independent infantry battalions in the Army Reserve. The 3/87th Infantry at Fort Carson, commanded by a AGR LTC named Jim Peck (IIRC), and the 100th Bn, 442nd Infantry at Fort Shafter, HI, with companies in Hawaii, Guam, and American Samoa.

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì!

Last edited by lirelou; 24 May 11 at 00:45..
Old 24 May 11, 01:30
Lance Corporal
United_States

that's interresting as all the unit's are regular army CARS battalion's. did they at any time use unit's in the the 300 series, of the one's that where a part of the old new england 97th div. That's where that division was formed in wwI and allocated to after wwI, and then in the post wwII army reserve?
Old 24 May 11, 03:23
Lance Corporal
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
First off the 29th Infantry Brigade was attached to the 25th Infantry Division. When the 25th went to the Pearl of the Orient, the 29th activated and occupied Schofield Barracks. While the unit stayed, most of the individuals were sent to Vietnam.

Two weeks ago I had some little almanacs on the National Guard and Army Reserve. I bought them in the early 80's. When the Sheriff sold my house out from under me, I had to make a decision on what to take and they did not make the cut! I had to leave half my library. My sister told me today the new owner had a garage sale! I am glad I was out of town.

The subordinate units are mentioned in the wiki articles. You just need to know what period you are looking for.

The 29th Infantry Brigade has a strange history. Once it had all its units in Hawaii. Since the 100th/442INF is so famous they attached it to the Brigade. Then they cut the Hawaii National Guard Infantry battalions from three to two. Now they only have one Hawaii battalion. The 184th Infantry unit from the California National Guard may still be attached to the 40th Infantry Division. The Oregon Cavalry Troop was once in the another brigade.

Secretary Rumsfeldt screwed everything up when he decreed brigades would go from three combat arms battalions to two. The extra slots in the active Army went to build new brigades. The National Guard was told to deactivate infantry, armor and cavalry units and create combat support units. It will take years for the National Guard to start up new combat arms battalions.

Pruitt
thank's for getting back.on one point. i think your mixing up time period's in regard to the 29th bde attached to the 25th div. they where a round out bde for the 25th after the div returned from vietnam, i believe sometime in 1973. Athough the bulk of the dvison retured in 1970 it left it's 3rd bde there to act as a somewhat seperate organazation. when it returned back to hawaii sometime in 1971 it was not kept on establishment and in essence the div had only two bde's with the NG's 29th later rounding it out in case of any nation emergency. When i was in alaska in the 172nd inf bde in 1981-82 the reserve 205th from minnisota performed the same funtion for u.s. army alaska. as to the 29th bde sending it's men to vietnam, the the defense dept had very strigent guidlines that where adopted during the war. One was that no serviceman could be involuntarily sent to to vietnam after his first tour unless he has been back for 18 month's or more. That's why the 3rd bde 82nd abn div ran in to all sort's of problem's when it was sent to south vietnam in feb 1968, it had hundred's of solider's that could not by DOD guidelines be sent back. Rather than just leaving them, they sent them along, no doubt with a myiade of feeling's. Next is a classic case of many mis- managed example's during the war. Once in nam all soldier's under the 18 month law where giving the opportunety to stay for another tour or they can go back to ft bragg. the bulk said no and left on the next avilable aircraft back to ft bragg. What a complete waste of time, money and resources's, they should have never been taken in the first place, but then there would literally be no unit to send at all, mind you this was after a dragooning of troop's from the two other bde', and they still would'nt have enough men. Thats why that" airborne unit" became a airmobile unit filled with primerally non jummping enlistedmen.Another DOD rule was that national guardsmen and reservist can if they so chose enlist in the regular army and for duty in vietnam, but no member's of these componant's can indvidualy brought to active duty and sent to vietnam.If it would become nessasary to federalize or activate entire units they will not be removed and sent any where or to any unit as indvidual replacement's , they are to remain with there unit's , and if deployed they will be deployed as a unit. During the war 3 NG battalion's(1 eng bn, 2 arty bn's) where sent to vietnam and serveral seperate companies from both the NG and reserve as well.The most notable company was Dco 1/151st inf of the indiana NG. The most notorious was the 1001st supply&service company of the the ohio reserve who fought unsucessfully their order's to south vietnam in the court's. The 29th inf bde was federalized along with the kansas NG's 69th inf bde in may 1968, the 69th and the 29th both where slated for combat duty in vietnam. The 69th whent to fort carson CO. both units did not as it turned out go to vietnam. And by law as per DOD guidelines could not have it's member's sent (even though they are now on active duty ) as indvidual replacement's to any unit's whether in CONUS or OVERSEA"S. another unit was also federalized at this time ,The18th armored cavalry squadron of the california NG. A seperate organazation, they on the other hand went kicking and sceaming in to federal service.They where also slated for combat duty in vietnam and was sent to fort lewis. There it's member's who where from in and around the los angeles area caused and rasied alot problem's, the awol rate was high in the unit, i guess alot of them where hippies and hung around with charlie manson...ha...ha. It was eventually decided that the unit was undeployable, in order for it to be so would intail a complete reman-ing of the the unit, and thats was simply not posiable given the man power shortages. so it seviced out it's brief time on federal duty and was then return to state control no doubt with a good riddance. any way that's it for know.
Old 25 May 11, 10:27
Second Lieutenant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99]
New England Army Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by patches View Post
that's interresting as all the unit's are regular army CARS battalion's. did they at any time use unit's in the the 300 series, of the one's that where a part of the old new england 97th div. That's where that division was formed in wwI and allocated to after wwI, and then in the post wwII army reserve?
I thought the Organized Reserve Corps (later USAR) unit in New England was the 94th Division, not the 97th. Was during the 1960s.
RedDagger18
Old 25 May 11, 16:05
Lance Corporal
United_States

Ar

You are correct.The 94th div was is? allotted to massachusetts. that was the unit i should of said given that the 187th inf bde was from massachusetts. there where the 94th the 97th and 76th div who where affliated with new england On the 97th div patch there is a trident. this was a representation of vermont,maine,and new hampshire. the 94th div had the pilgram figure as a representation of massachusetts.and then the 76th div i forget what the symbolism mean's. but they wear allllocated to the last two states of conneticutt and rhode island. this was during ww1 and post ww1. after ww2 it was the same allocation with little change .
Sponsored Links

Old 25 Jun 11, 00:47
Corporal
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

shrike6 is on the path to success [1-99]
This is from the late 80s

157th Infantry Brigade (Mech) - Horsham, PA:

1-315th Infantry (Mech) Bn – Bristol, PA
1-314th Infantry (Mech) Bn: (may have been in Pedricktown, NJ, elements in PA)
6-68th Armored Bn – Bethlehem, PA:
3-15th Field Artillery Bn: M109 (may have been in AL?)
Troop C, 9 Cav – Wilkes Barre, PA
420th Engineer Co – Pittsburgh, PA

187th Infantry Brigade - Ft Devens, MA:
3-16th Infantry Bn – Scarborough, ME:
3-18th Infantry Bn – Lawrence, MA:
3-35th Infantry Bn – Springfield, MA:
Troop D, 5th Cav – Ft. Devens, MA:
756 Engineer Co – Ft. Devens, MA:
5-5th Field Artillery Bn – Ft. Tilden, NY: M-109 (was 105mm towed in 1986)

205th Light Infantry Brigade - Ft Snelling, Minnesota: US Army Reserve round-out unit
3-3rd Light Infantry Battalion – St. Paul, MN:
1-409th Light Infantry Battalion – St. Cloud, MN:
1-410th Light Infantry Battalion – Iowa City, IA:
3-14th Field Artillery Battalion – Sioux City, IA: 18 M101
Old 25 Jun 11, 03:16
Lance Corporal
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike6 View Post
This is from the late 80s

157th Infantry Brigade (Mech) - Horsham, PA:

1-315th Infantry (Mech) Bn – Bristol, PA
6-68th Armored Bn – Bethlehem, PA:
3-15th Field Artillery Bn: M109 (may have been in AL?)
Troop C, 9 Cav – Wilkes Barre, PA
420th Engineer Co – Pittsburgh, PA

187th Infantry Brigade - Ft Devens, MA:
3-16th Infantry Bn – Scarborough, ME:
3-18th Infantry Bn – Lawrence, MA:
3-35th Infantry Bn – Springfield, MA:
Troop D, 5th Cav – Ft. Devens, MA:
756 Engineer Co – Ft. Devens, MA:
5-5th Field Artillery Bn – Ft. Tilden, NY: M-109 (was 105mm towed in 1986)

205th Light Infantry Brigade - Ft Snelling, Minnesota: US Army Reserve round-out unit
3-3rd Light Infantry Battalion – St. Paul, MN:
1-409th Light Infantry Battalion – St. Cloud, MN:
1-410th Light Infantry Battalion – Iowa City, IA:
3-14th Field Artillery Battalion – Sioux City, IA: 18 M101
HURRA someone got the message, thank you. Seeing the line up of the 205th inf bde ring's a bell now, as i remember seeing a appreciation commemrative plaque in my 1st sgt office from the 205th inf bde at ft wainwright (i was in the 4/9 inf 172nd inf bde),on it was the unit crests of the bde.As my memory is now jumping i happened to look in stanton's order of battle vietnam, and in the begining of the book there is a section on army structure, and it gives an example of the CARS system, the one regular CARS battilion is the 3/17 inf, this was the crest i saw on that plaque,along with the two 400 series one so im gathering the 3/3 inf was added to the bde sometime after 1983 as i see.Any idea on there cav unit that one i can't remember. You now have to work on that elusive order of battle of the obscure 191st inf bde from the west, 63-68 i tried looking it up and always come up ,zip, it seem's it's active in the reserve again in some kind of minor support roll, and every time i look for it a keep getting its affielation with ft lewis, and other sites that just tell me the hitory of the brigade, with no mention of its subordnate units during any period no less the 60s, when it was in its hayday as a TO&E infantry reserve combat formation.

I hope that this was the same TO&E as in the 60s, as that is my real interrest. I do find it interresting that the 187th inf bde used no 300 series inf units but rather regular CARS battalion's, do you know why ? In closing i thank you again for replying here, and any more info on the stuff i still asked about will be gratefully appreciated.

Last edited by patches; 25 Jun 11 at 03:27..
Old 28 Jun 11, 00:29
Recruit
United_States

prestidigitizer is a balanced individual [0]
Quote:
Hey, I was in the 1-314th from 1991 to 1995. I was with Bravo company in Huntingdon, PA for a year, then HHC in Lock Haven, PA until they offered to send me to a water purification unit. I declined to re-up when, as Pruitt said, we were being "converted to Combat Support and Training roles."

Quote:
6-68th – Bethlehem, PA:
I still hang out with a bunch of guys from Charlie company, 6-68th Armor, including some Vietnam vets.

Between the people I know from both units, I may be able to dig up more details on the 157th from the that era - it's worth a try, but may take a while.
Old 29 Jun 11, 23:58
Lance Corporal
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestidigitizer View Post
Hey, I was in the 1-314th from 1991 to 1995. I was with Bravo company in Huntingdon, PA for a year, then HHC in Lock Haven, PA until they offered to send me to a water purification unit. I declined to re-up when, as Pruitt said, we were being "converted to Combat Support and Training roles."

I still hang out with a bunch of guys from Charlie company, 6-68th Armor, including some Vietnam vets.

Between the people I know from both units, I may be able to dig up more details on the 157th from the that era - it's worth a try, but may take a while.
Thank you. if you can find out if the units where the the same ones during the 1960s, as that is the only time period im interrested in. thank's kevin.
Old 30 Jun 11, 15:29
Major General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lirelou View Post
As a former almost-member of the 187th Infantry Brigade, headquartered in Fort Devens, Massachusetts, I can assure you that in the 1970s it had three infantry battalions. the 3/16th, the 3/18th, and the 3/35th Infantry (IIRC). One in Maine/New Hampshire, one in Lawrence, MA, and one (the 35th Inf) in Worcester, MA. They were standard 'light infantry' (meaning non-Mech in those days).

Almost member= member of SF IMA unit assigned to Panama, desperately trying to get a drill-paying slot as a Major in the 187th Inf. Pulled down a promise of assignment as the Bde SQT Training Standards Officer, put in 12 to 20 hours of unpaid service a week getting all the SQT materials inventoried and out to units for about six months, only to be informed that I was in the running to command one of the reserve infantry battalions just as the Army notified me that I had been approved for return to active duty. All that unpaid time down the tubes, but hey, that's why it was called 'doing time for the flag'. Learned a lot, and don't regret the lost paid time to this day. Met some really committed and interesting people.

Oh, in the 70s/80s there were two independent infantry battalions in the Army Reserve. The 3/87th Infantry at Fort Carson, commanded by a AGR LTC named Jim Peck (IIRC), and the 100th Bn, 442nd Infantry at Fort Shafter, HI, with companies in Hawaii, Guam, and American Samoa.
Wasent there also an independent infantry regiment split between Puerto Rico and the Panama Canal Zone as well? I believe it was disbanded when the Canal Zone went back to Panama in 1999.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!