StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Simulations

Notices and Announcements

Simulations Flight, tank, naval, and any other Sim players gather here.

Old 19 May 11, 10:51
Brigadier General
Pirate
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
ArmA 3

For those who don't know, Bohemia Interactive, developer of OFP, ArmA and the military training tool VBS launched an ARG a couple of weeks ago where they constructed a story with clues that people had to figure out. There's an overview of the ARG here. At the end of it they announced ArmA 3, the successor to ArmA 2.

Quote:
Arma 3, the latest installment of the tactical military simulation game from independent developers Bohemia Interactive, creators of the award-winning mil-sim series Arma.
Storyline

Survive, Adapt, Win

After years of intense warfare against Eastern armies, Europe has become the last stand for the battered NATO forces. On the verge of being driven into the sea, NATO command embarks upon a most desperate measure. In the hope of seizing what seems to be a well-guarded military secret, Operation Magnitude is launched. A small group of Special Forces and Researchers are sent to a Mediterranean island deep behind enemy lines. However, the mission is compromised and the task force destroyed, leaving Cpt. Scott Miller washed ashore upon the hostile island. In his effort to carry out the mission, he will face the dangers of modern warfare, an unforgiving environment, and the consequences of his own decisions...

Survive in the rich & authentic environment
Adapt to the unsurpassed experience of modern ground combat
Win the open-ended & story-driven campaign

Combining the strength of its predecessors with radical engine improvements, Arma 3 provides a unique experience of sandbox-oriented combat gameplay in the most detailed environment of the series.

Key features:

Single-Player Campaign - evolve from a lone prey into a military commander in the open-ended & story-driven campaign.

Vehicles & Weapons - control multitude of aircraft, vehicles and ships with the accurate simulation, shoot from anything from pistols to the sophisticated weapon platforms.

Customizable Soldier Load - choose your uniform, assemble your weapon kit, change your loadout, get encumbered.

Physical simulation & improved animations - take advantage of PhysX supporting the vehicle simulation, in-game interactions and the revamped animation system.

Rich & authentic environment - explore the unsurpassed modern ground combat experience set on the authentic Mediterranean island modeled from the real geographic data.

Multiplayer Gameplay - challenge both cooperative & competitive scenarios with full support of dedicated servers for both Windows and Linux.

Completely extensible & moddable - design & create countless customizable scenarios using the intuitive & easy-to-use mission editor.
Official Announcement

Some screenshots:

Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 20 May 11, 02:14
Staff Sergeant
Australia
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

JoeMe is on the path to success [1-99] JoeMe is on the path to success [1-99]
This is good news!

-
Old 20 May 11, 03:02
General
United_States

Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Good god almighty.....................
Old 30 May 11, 16:05
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I'm not sure if I want to laugh or cry.

Haven't even started college yet and already know I'll fail with ARMA 3 around.....
Old 30 May 11, 17:36
Brigadier General
Pirate

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Hey, welcome back! Hope the rest of your vacation was good.

Did you notice the armour in those screenshots are the Merkava and Namer?
Old 31 May 11, 14:03
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie View Post
Hey, welcome back! Hope the rest of your vacation was good.
Was awesome, but Scotland was undoubtedly the crown jewel .
Quote:
Did you notice the armour in those screenshots are the Merkava and Namer?
I have and didn't really know how to react, there are screenshots of a Comanche (if I spotted it and remember correctly) which is odd enough, the troops around the Merkava are American too.

As far as the Namer goes, there are serious talk of the Americans buying the rights to produce it and deploy to the U.S Army (I think they are looking into replacing the Bradly's with it), so they could play on that even though it's not close to final. The American troops in CO (and apparently in ARMA 3 too) are equipped with SCAR, which as far as I know were tested by SF and rejected- that didn't stop the game designers .
Old 31 May 11, 17:26
Brigadier General
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golani View Post
Was awesome, but Scotland was undoubtedly the crown jewel .
That's good to hear! In Edinburgh did you see the castle and all that?

Quote:
I have and didn't really know how to react, there are screenshots of a Comanche (if I spotted it and remember correctly) which is odd enough, the troops around the Merkava are American too.

As far as the Namer goes, there are serious talk of the Americans buying the rights to produce it and deploy to the U.S Army (I think they are looking into replacing the Bradly's with it), so they could play on that even though it's not close to final. The American troops in CO (and apparently in ARMA 3 too) are equipped with SCAR, which as far as I know were tested by SF and rejected- that didn't stop the game designers .
I think BIS set the game in 2025 so they could have an excuse to arm the future NATO army with whatever equipment they wanted like the FN2000 - a 10 year old rifle that hasn't seen much service as far as I'm aware. The Mi-28 that you see is a fictional variant that seems to incorporate some features from the Ka-52.

http://www.arma3.com/#screenshots

Their artists are probably bored of modelling the M16 and AK74 over and over and this also gives their customers some brand new stuff. Personally, I prefer if armies have proper kit and not this MW2/BC2 mix and match stuff but since I like the game play of the series and BIS are offering big engine enhancements I'm happy. Plus, it'll be great to play around with some kit that don't really see the light of day in the gaming world, like the Namer. That's the APC made out of a Merkava hull, right?

Last edited by Mackie; 31 May 11 at 17:31..
Old 01 Jun 11, 11:14
General of the Forums
Israel

Quote:
That's good to hear! In Edinburgh did you see the castle and all that?
Of course, at first we were blown away by the high admission (14 pounds IIRC) but it was worth every penny...went down to the vaults and all that too, there were no bingo nights at the pubs though...
Quote:
I think BIS set the game in 2025 so they could have an excuse to arm the future NATO army with whatever equipment they wanted like the FN2000 - a 10 year old rifle that hasn't seen much service as far as I'm aware.
Yeah, that's what I meant.
It'd be interesting to find out what the back story for that would be, there's a slim chance to say the least that the U.S or any other member of the coalition would buy the Merkava given that most produce their own MBTs and Israel not being a part of NATO or the EU would make purchasing it hell.

Quote:
The Mi-28 that you see is a fictional variant that seems to incorporate some features from the Ka-52.

http://www.arma3.com/#screenshots
Is that it:
http://gamerant.com/arma-3-announcem...-3-helicopter/

Yeah, doesn't really look like a Comanche, I guess I was jet legged...
Quote:
Their artists are probably bored of modelling the M16 and AK74 over and over and this also gives their customers some brand new stuff. Personally, I prefer if armies have proper kit and not this MW2/BC2 mix and match stuff but since I like the game play of the series and BIS are offering big engine enhancements I'm happy. Plus, it'll be great to play around with some kit that don't really see the light of day in the gaming world, like the Namer.
I'm with you on that, so far as they don't steer out too much, notice the pattern, OFP1985 was past/historical fiction, ARMA was 'current', ARMA 2+ expansions were very near future and ARMA 3 is planned to be a not-so-near-future....I don't want to fight Aliens/Robots/A new evolved species in ARMA 4...
Quote:
That's the APC made out of a Merkava hull, right?
Yeah.
Old 02 Jun 11, 06:41
Brigadier General
Pirate

Quote:
Of course, at first we were blown away by the high admission (14 pounds IIRC) but it was worth every penny...went down to the vaults and all that too, there were no bingo nights at the pubs though...
Yeah, it's not the cheapest place to get into. So you'll know about the 1o'clock gun?

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I meant.
It'd be interesting to find out what the back story for that would be, there's a slim chance to say the least that the U.S or any other member of the coalition would buy the Merkava given that most produce their own MBTs and Israel not being a part of NATO or the EU would make purchasing it hell.
How hard would it be, military wise, for Israel to integrate into NATO? I'm guessing in this story the attack by the East led them to joining the alliance or something like that.

Quote:
Is that it:
http://gamerant.com/arma-3-announcem...-3-helicopter/

Yeah, doesn't really look like a Comanche, I guess I was jet legged...
I mean this thing.

Quote:
I'm with you on that, so far as they don't steer out too much, notice the pattern, OFP1985 was past/historical fiction, ARMA was 'current', ARMA 2+ expansions were very near future and ARMA 3 is planned to be a not-so-near-future....I don't want to fight Aliens/Robots/A new evolved species in ARMA 4...

Yeah.
Yeah, not keen on something like that either.
Old 02 Jun 11, 08:44
General of the Forums
Israel

Quote:
Yeah, it's not the cheapest place to get into. So you'll know about the 1o'clock gun?
Yeah, saw it in action.
Quote:
How hard would it be, military wise, for Israel to integrate into NATO? I'm guessing in this story the attack by the East led them to joining the alliance or something like that.
I don't know what the military criteria is (and looking at some of the members Military might isn't really a necessity) the problem is political.

Question is, will it be the Muslim world+China against Europe+U.S, in which case I can certainly see NATO accepting Israel into an alliance (but then Turkey needs to break away) or is it just Iran+China vs. Europe and the U.S in which case no one would agree to admit Israel due to conflicting interests with the Arab powers.
Quote:
Yeah, not keen on something like that either.
I could do with Starship troopers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdi9u...eature=related

Or zombies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22SYb...eature=related
Sponsored Links

Old 02 Jun 11, 12:29
Brigadier General
Pirate

Quote:
Yeah, saw it in action.

I don't know what the military criteria is (and looking at some of the members Military might isn't really a necessity) the problem is political.

Question is, will it be the Muslim world+China against Europe+U.S, in which case I can certainly see NATO accepting Israel into an alliance (but then Turkey needs to break away) or is it just Iran+China vs. Europe and the U.S in which case no one would agree to admit Israel due to conflicting interests with the Arab powers.
They sure created a confusing situation. Hopefully the story they construct is clever and makes sense. The other thing they can do is largely ignore it and put in a short and simple background to the fighting on Lemnos, a bit like what BF2 did

Quote:
I could do with Starship troopers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdi9u...eature=related
BIS games have always had lots of bugs.
Old 02 Jun 11, 13:40
General of the Forums
Israel

Quote:
They sure created a confusing situation. Hopefully the story they construct is clever and makes sense. The other thing they can do is largely ignore it and put in a short and simple background to the fighting on Lemnos, a bit like what BF2 did
Hope not, it's not their style...and it'd be nice to somehow tie the events of ARMA2 to ARMA3.
Quote:
BIS games have always had lots of bugs.
Oh snap
Old 05 Jun 11, 07:58
Brigadier General
Pirate

FYI, E3 is in a few days and BIS have a booth booked there. Expect new information and bad quality mobile phone footage to follow shortly.
Old 07 Jun 11, 08:28
Brigadier General
Pirate

Old 07 Jun 11, 08:50
General of the Forums
Israel

O.K definitely a Merkava here, being attacked by U.S forces...

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!