StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Alternate Timelines > Science Fiction

Notices and Announcements

Science Fiction Science Fiction as a means to discuss "future history."

Old 17 May 11, 08:06
General
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dashy is simply cracking [600]
Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600]
Greek Fire hopes that it's Space Corps set will win the governmental contract, without going into too much detail, Greek Fire can assure the defence ministry that its weaponry is designed to work on any planet (not just Oxygen-Nitrogen atmosphere ones) and cover any contingency.

It will also use the latest tech, not pre WW3 designs. For example, combustion weaponary will be voided, and all craft will be powered by Fusion Reactors, so that "Space Corps" equipment can work in any and all environments.
Old 17 May 11, 09:49
General of the Forums
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
Hmm-I was not told that certain scientific factors would affect anything.

--Hávamál
Old 17 May 11, 10:20
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100]
@ Super Six 4

Hmmm - nor me

The differences in Atmosphere may affect air-breathing Engines - if we were to use them.

However -I wonder how this Equipment from New Byzantium would cope with somewhere like Venus ( massive pressure of CO2, some H2SO4 , 500 degrees Centigrade ). Or Beta II - cold, but H2SO4 and SO2 atmosphere.

I would be REALLY interested to read the limits of capability for this Equipment - maximum and minimum temperatures, gravity max, resistance to different aggressive chemicals, such as H2SO4, Ammonia, Caustic Soda, Nitric Acid, etc.

We DO have Fusion Reactors - according to Broderickwells.
Nice - cheap H2 fuel, low radioactive emissions, minimal radioactive waste.
BUT - ATM - not smaller than 9 Gigawatt Output - that is, 9 x 10^9 Watts power. Otherwise cannot be done.

So - I would be interested in a proper Spec. from Dashy.
Kaar Kristoff - Minister of Interior of The Phoenix Confederation
Old 17 May 11, 10:29
General of the Forums
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
So it would seem that they wouldn't be affected in the way the governor intends, unless Boderick has something on the contrary.

--Hávamál
Old 17 May 11, 12:08
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six 4 View Post
So it would seem that they wouldn't be affected in the way the governor intends, unless Boderick has something on the contrary.
As you say - Not at the moment.
Broderickwells is working on some VERY ADVANCED Weapons and Defences - which are vital for improving our Strategic Offence capabilities - this will take some 8 weeks of "real time",
I do NOT intend to Push him on Fusion Reactors - he is doing VITAL Research on Next Generation Weapons.
After that - we can see if smaller Fusion Reactors are possible - I would say YES, but in a while.

To All Players - Please do NOT push for more Technological Advances than the Science Departments can actually achieve.
If Dashy will wait say ten / twelve weeks of "real time", then we should get the smaller, portable Fusion Reactors he intends to use.
These could also be used for All Ships - Naval and Commercial.

Hmmm - We are gonna have to put all of our Ships back into the Docks for a one-month Refit, foir fitting Advanced Weapons.
Then we are gonna have to put all of the Ships back into Docks for a one month complete Refit, for fitting Fusion Powerplants.
Hmmm - Two Months of Refits - which is two weeks in "real time", might as well do it all at once.
Sponsored Links

Old 17 May 11, 12:44
General of the Forums
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakris View Post
As you say - Not at the moment.
Broderickwells is working on some VERY ADVANCED Weapons and Defences - which are vital for improving our Strategic Offence capabilities - this will take some 8 weeks of "real time",
I do NOT intend to Push him on Fusion Reactors - he is doing VITAL Research on Next Generation Weapons.
After that - we can see if smaller Fusion Reactors are possible - I would say YES, but in a while.

To All Players - Please do NOT push for more Technological Advances than the Science Departments can actually achieve.
If Dashy will wait say ten / twelve weeks of "real time", then we should get the smaller, portable Fusion Reactors he intends to use.
These could also be used for All Ships - Naval and Commercial.

Hmmm - We are gonna have to put all of our Ships back into the Docks for a one-month Refit, foir fitting Advanced Weapons.
Then we are gonna have to put all of the Ships back into Docks for a one month complete Refit, for fitting Fusion Powerplants.
Hmmm - Two Months of Refits - which is two weeks in "real time", might as well do it all at once.
Thanks for this info.

One other thing-Dashy-remember that you can only make stuff for your own planet's defense, so I wouldn't push for stuff that'd supposedly work on all planets. Remember you did waive all defense except planetary defense to me. I can tell you're wishing to overturn that-you won't. So the only Space Corps you'll be having anytime soon is a planetary version of the rest of the ground forces meant for going around space.

Oh and I don't give a rat's arse about pre-WWIII-newer isn't always better.

--Hávamál
Old 17 May 11, 13:45
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Just Cool It !! - Fellas

Quote:
Thanks for this info.

One other thing-Dashy-remember that you can only make stuff for your own planet's defense, so I wouldn't push for stuff that'd supposedly work on all planets. Remember you did waive all defense except planetary defense to me. I can tell you're wishing to overturn that-you won't. So the only Space Corps you'll be having anytime soon is a planetary version of the rest of the ground forces meant for going around space.

Oh and I don't give a rat's arse about pre-WWIII-newer isn't always better.
@ Super Six 4

Aye - agreed with main part. But try not to be too antsy about all this.

The principle is YES - Dashy can produce Designs and do Development, and build Prototypes - but he cannot manufacture this as Series Production - unless it is approved by Tac and / or Tsar.
Then it would have to be as Products - sold to Phoenix, Sol, Attica or even to IPC. I think IPC could outbuild you all, if they were into Weapons.

Remember also that the same things apply to you Super Six 4 - without Approval of Tac and / or Tsar - you could not move your Ground Force Troops off-world or between Systems.
Sorry - but the Rules cut both ways.
Although you are developing and designing equipment for your Ground Forces, and making Prototypes - these designs must ALSO be approved for Series Production, either by Tac or by Tsar - before YOU can start Series Production.
Rules have to work both ways.

@ Dashy
@ Super Six 4

PLEASE - Can we cut out all this in-fighting, trying to score points off each other.
This is not a race or competition - and I do NOT want tempers to be raised over this or any other issue -
To the point where it is damaging the Game - it is nearly going that way !!

I think we need some more Trust between you Fellas - I Mean It !

If someone is REALLY gonna step out of line - I will drop hell on them - and I do Truly mean That - you better believe me !!
For my part all I see is a lot of squabbling, which must stop !

"We've got to have a little understanding around here.
How the hell do we ever get any understanding around here"

We must have more understanding between you Guys.

So lets Play NICE - Guys.

Thank You Very Much - Dashy - for making meaningful and active contributions to this Game.
Thank you Very Much - Super Six 4 - for taking an Active role, and getting well into the feel of the Game.

I would truly HATE to lose the Contributions from either of you Fellas.

For my part - I DO have some Sanctions which I can use as G.M. for any REAL trouble - but arguing is just Words.
Also - Tsar and Tac have things which they can do in the case of REAL trouble.

I wish to assure both of you that there is no possible way that you will be allowed to Hurt each other's Dominions in this Game.
So stop acting as if you are both lining-up for a WAR - it is not gonna happen !!

We Gotta have some trust around here.

Hopefully still, Your Friend - Kris

Last edited by Karakris; 17 May 11 at 13:48..
Old 17 May 11, 14:25
General of the Forums
Pirate

Ok time to put this stuff to rest-I'm asking Tac and Tsar for official Phoenix Confederation ground force, specifically Naval Infantry, requirements. Then, them willing, Project ASCENSION II will be born.

--Hávamál
Old 17 May 11, 15:54
General of the Forums
Sinc
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Tsar is simply cracking [600]
Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Ok time to put this stuff to rest-I'm asking Tac and Tsar for official Phoenix Confederation ground force, specifically Naval Infantry, requirements. Then, them willing, Project ASCENSION II will be born.
Okay I will try to have the specs for you some time today.
Old 17 May 11, 16:55
General
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Hmm-I was not told that certain scientific factors would affect anything.
CH4 + 2 O2 → CO2 + 2 H2O + energy ...

AKA Combustion.

Common chemical propellants are energetic materials and consist of a fuel; like gasoline, jet fuel, rocket fuel, and an oxidizer.

Ammonia is a compound of nitrogen and hydrogen (and so is covalently bonded) with the formula NH3. It is a colourless gas with a characteristic pungent odour.

Species Zeta is colonising the other two planets, which have Ammonia Atmostheres.

^Combustion.

A railgun is an entirely electrical gun that accelerates a conductive projectile along a pair of metal rails using the same principles as the homopolar motor.

Hence Railguns can fire anywhere there is not significant magnetic disturbance, and such an area would probably be uninhabitable anyway. Railguns are also far more conventionally powerful.

I would like to stress that Greek Fire will not produce its Tech until given a contract, and before that It will only use a singular "Galley" for testing purposes. once this prototype is complete, tests will be carried out on Constantinople, with its excessive gravity and oxygen free environment, it should put the equipment to the test, Miniaturised Nuclear Reactors will be used instead of Fusion reactors while the kinks are worked out (Gawd, these things were invented in 2089, you'd think they would have sorted them out by now ). The rest of the tech is already viable, Atmospheric engines use excessive electrically generated heat to expand gases and produce thrust (Once again, planets with thin atmospheres are unlikely to have life upon them) we already use lasers, plasma and Railguns, and robotics has been advancing since the troubled times (1990's!).

Greek Fire sincerely hopes its Tech will be considered.

The differences in Atmosphere may affect air-breathing Engines - if we were to use them.

However -I wonder how this Equipment from New Byzantium would cope with somewhere like Venus ( massive pressure of CO2, some H2SO4 , 500 degrees Centigrade ). Or Beta II - cold, but H2SO4 and SO2 atmosphere.

I would be REALLY interested to read the limits of capability for this Equipment - maximum and minimum temperatures, gravity max, resistance to different aggressive chemicals, such as H2SO4, Ammonia, Caustic Soda, Nitric Acid, etc.

1. "Space Corps" tech uses electrically driven engines, even in the air. SO long as there is gas these things can fly.

2. The Atmosphere doesn't matter, the Tech uses weapons that have been proven to function with no atmosphere, and should work fine in hostile atmospheres, if you are still doubtful, the Prototype galley could be sent to these locales for aggressive testing.

3. All vehicles are enclosed, and are designed to have limited Extra Terrestrial capabilities, IE be partly operable in space, except the flying Tech. Armour is made of so called "Super Alloys", highly temperature resistant and damnably set against corrosion. these super alloys are layered with ceramics, A1 Carbon Lattice (Armour Grade) and good old High Tensile Steel. The Tech is designed to function fully in high gravity environments, testing will be carried out on Constantinople, which has almost as much gravitational force as Jupiter.
Old 17 May 11, 17:25
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Thank you Dashy -

Please excuse my ignorance - your Explanations seem GOOD and fairly comprehensive - I was not intending criticism of your Tech, but just asking.

I am trying to get this clear.
So Electric Cannon - smaller Railguns.
We could use heavy metal slugs.
Phoenix is getting tonnages of Rhodium and Rhenium now - so Superconductors could be much easier - for better Railguns.

I would LOVE to hit to hit Zetans with multiple Curium 250 slugs ( small ones ) - which have high Neutron Emissions, but are HARD metal. When several of these little slugs get together - **Boom!!**, Nuclear Explosion.
Sorry - getting carried away, but Attica is producing Curium 250 now, damn high inertia AND damn Hard - but goes BANG very easily.

Anyway - sorry, obviously very bad problems with combustion in Ammonia - in other words, NONE. But if it gets too Hot - hmm, could be a problem it seems.

All other questions or Queries seem to be very well answered - Looks like Very Good Tech to me.

For Nuclear Reactors - sorry progress has been slow - but for the last seven years we have been working mostly on Weapons, and Drives.
We were lucky that Broderick managed to slip some improvements in Nuclear Fusion through - to the level we have now.

I agree entirely that we ought to be further ahead with Power Technology - cheap, clean and COMPACT Nuclear Fusion wil allow many improvements in many areas of our civilisation. This should be the next aim of our Science and Technology.

So, for now small Nuclear Reactors. One good point, for the time being - Fuel Grade Curium is now available in some quantity ( tons ), for Military / Naval uses only - recovered from the surface of Argos.
This allows smaller or more powerful ( higher power-to-size ratio ) Reactors - both Thermal and Breeder, to be safely made.
Also, Attica is still producing tonnages of Boron Carbide - which is a material with properties of hard armour and Nuetorn Shielding.
However - your A1 material should fill both of these roles.

Thanks for your submissions Dashy, and for your research - I hope they will be accepted, but it is not up to me.

Best Wishes
Old 17 May 11, 17:29
General of the Forums
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsar View Post
Okay I will try to have the specs for you some time today.
Thank you-I sent a preemptive PM containing my original requirements, so that you could see them, and do what you like.

--Hávamál
Old 17 May 11, 18:45
General
Pirate

Perhaps a compromise can be reached. Greek Fire tech is extremely advanced, pushing the modern day boundaries as its namesake did a thousand years past. This comes at some cost however. Super-Six's technology from FA seems to use tech derived from the late 2050's, it kills just as well, but only in Oxygen atmosphere environments.

Perhaps two "Set's" could be made, the Greek Fire "Space Corps" set, and a set from Earth, for now lets call it "Liberation Group".

The Space corps set would be used to retake planets with non-oxygen/extremely hostile environments, and defend planets such as Beta's I II III and IV from land invasion, while the Liberation Group tackles the larger task of defending terraformed planets and retaking Oxygen atmosphere planets.

I still suggest that the "Galley" be the main ground force projection entity, complete with Subsidiary landing craft and resupply craft. I'm sure the tech can be adapted to suit Super-Six's conventional troops.

This way the advantages of both techs are taken on, and both Planets (Rome-Earth) benefit from the defense contracts.
Old 17 May 11, 19:30
General
Pirate

Now, Whats a modern assault force without some ARMOUR.

Three types are already being put through the prototype stage, their "Test" period is expected to be the longest. They will be sent down to Constantinople for testing soon, to observe the effects of gravity and harsh envirmonet on their construction.

The first in the set is the Vasiliás Rail Tank (Colloquially Valli) the Valli uses Nano-tracks for transportation, and is armed with an impressive dual armament in a single turret, desgined to counter any threat.

The Valli mounts a Railgun co-axially with a plasma projector. while this increases the tanks size, the "Burn Crush" combination has would be tank testers foaming. The idea is that a shot from the plasma will superheat the target surface, if that is insufficient to pierce the armor of the foe, a follow up shot from the railcannon, which will be fired instantly, hitting the same spot or near it. This 1-2 "Punch" is expected to have the ability to defeat most Armour types.

This armament, coupled with heavy layer armour, gives the Valli a low speed of 50 KMPH, however, since the Valli is designed to counter Zetan heavy threats (given their tendency for mega-weapons, IE Goliath) this is considered a minor setback in giving ground troops viable protection form large threats.

The Second part of the set is the Timo̱ró̱ntas Ángelos (Ti-man colloquially). It has half the Armour thickness of the Valli, and a singular rail cannon of similar size, with a secondary anti-air rail turret on top of that. The reduced weight gives the valli a speed of 95 KPH on roads, dropping to 70KPH off road. The Ti-man has nano-tracks.

The Ti-man can also carry 12 men within its structure (If armed with Greek Fire Exoskeletons, coming soon!). It is designed to act as a heavy IFV, taking into account the "heavy" lean of Zetan military tech.

The last part of the set is the Sidi̱rourgós (Siddy colloquially) which is four legged heavily Armored walker. the Siddy is designed to assist troops in difficult terrain against heavily armored foes and fortifications. to this end it is equipped with four seperate weapon systems.

The first is the right "Arm" which carries a similar railgun to the one mounted on the Valli and Ti-man. the Left has a plasma projector similar to the one on the Valli. the Left shoulder mounts a tactical nuke, launched and propelled bu an oxygen hydrogen mix, the primer is not inserted into the nuke until firing to prevent any embarrassing "Premature Detonation". the Right shoulder mounts four missiles (in similar configuration to the Apache hellfires) propelled by a hydrogen oxygen mix, they are guided and have Caesium warheads, with an equal (on the atomic level) amount of water. These are designed to act as an "All Atmosphere" HE weapon.
Old 17 May 11, 20:21
General of the Forums
Pirate

Hmm, it seems a compromise would have to work.

I have been thinking about suits for Naval Infantry meant for going into other environments. Tac specified the need for this, but I had already been thinking it. Something similar to the Delta Accelarator Suit from the GI Joe movie should work, although with a detection system inside that immediately processes the planet's molecular structure and filters accordingly. Most other things could be similar, like it's ability to accelerate movement, and the smart AI. Also, perhaps Aluminum Nitride armor could work? That's the stuff that'd be on the NAV-1 Stryker II AFV. Not sure if it's suited for man portability...that could be something to research here in Sol.

Also I've been thinking of a unit that can increase an Assault Rifle's velocity depending on the amount of gravity. More grav means more velocity needed. Again another thing to research on Sol.

--Hávamál
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!