StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Alternate Timelines > Science Fiction

Notices and Announcements

Science Fiction Science Fiction as a means to discuss "future history."

Old 10 May 11, 11:20
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six 4 View Post
What's the situation on weapons manufacturers and equipment manufacturers?
You have MASSIVE amounts of Industry on Earth - you could make almost anything you want to. That is, anything you can think of - be imaginative, but not ridiculous.
Attica is making very large amounts of stuff - and they are about 1/2 the Population of Earth, spread across several Systems.

Major or Big Weapons Specs are as per the Info. which I sent you - we are all working to standard Weapons Specs. from the Defence Minister of Phoenix ( Tac ).

However - for Ground Forces, you may need to specify the smaller stuff yourself. Obviously, as Tac is not interested in Ground Forces - he has not specified Ground Weapons, AFVs or anything like that.
As we have no Internal Wars on any of our Planets - we have not looked at Ground Weapons or Equipment.
You have shook me up on that point - and it may be one of my new priorities.

Best Wishes

In my other Role as Kaar Kristoff - Minister for The Interior -
I have been writing detailed Recommendations for each System, for Food Production. Probably Post them Later or Tomorrow.
Onwards and Upwards
Kaar Kristoff - Minister of Interior of The Phoenix Confederation
Old 10 May 11, 12:45
General of the Forums
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
Unless Minister Tac is willing to work on ground force stuff, I will initiate the program myself.

I am thinking about the following specs for a standard soft target assault rifle:

-Minimum caliber 6.8 mm, maximum caliber 7.62x51
-Standard infantry portability
-ROF between 500 and 700 rounds per minute
-Able to work well even after contact with:
-water
-sand/dirt
-mud
-Compatibility with gun mounted and/or other electronic modules
-High reliability
-Durable

--Hávamál
Old 10 May 11, 13:17
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Unless Minister Tac is willing to work on ground force stuff, I will initiate the program myself.

I am thinking about the following specs for a standard soft target assault rifle:

-Minimum caliber 6.8 mm, maximum caliber 7.62x51
-Standard infantry portability
-ROF between 500 and 700 rounds per minute
-Able to work well even after contact with:
-water
-sand/dirt
-mud
-Compatibility with gun mounted and/or other electronic modules
-High reliability
-Durable
I would always go for the 7.62mm myself - honest.
I have read some really bad info on lighter Bullets.
A 7.62mm may still got through the Radiator of a truck - but the current 5.5mm will often be deflected by HEAVY CLOTHING ( say Arctic Wear ).
You are now in an area I have researched.
Hmmm - Magazine loaded - 100 rounds.

I also like having a Repeater Shotgun for "house clearing" ( self reloading ). Also a Stun Grenade Launcher.

Against Zetans - Tazers oscillating at high Radio Frequencies. Touch their Suits / Body armour and their brains fry.
Old 10 May 11, 13:22
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Heeeey - do we need a "Ground Forces" Thread

We could do it.

Honest

@Andrew

Sorry - I could do with your Build List for Sol Ships.
Still HEAPS of Capacity.
Old 10 May 11, 14:07
General of the Forums
Sinc
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Tsar is simply cracking [600]
Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600]
For ground attack (assuming large scale/planetary occupation) there would probably need to be several “layers” of assault forces.

The first layer would be something like Robert A. Heinlein's mobile infantry. A specialized group that can make an assault from space to secure a beach head for follow on forces.

The second layer that would be transported down aboard assault transports. These transports would be armoured and have considerable CIWS ability. They would bring in armour, artillery, AAA and the other things needed to expand the beach head established by the drop troops.

The next layer would be regular transports bring in supplies, prefab buildings, C3I and the rest of the materials needed to sustain a force for extended periods on planet.

Last edited by Tsar; 10 May 11 at 14:26..
Sponsored Links

Old 10 May 11, 16:13
General of the Forums
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakris View Post
I would always go for the 7.62mm myself - honest.
I have read some really bad info on lighter Bullets.
A 7.62mm may still got through the Radiator of a truck - but the current 5.5mm will often be deflected by HEAVY CLOTHING ( say Arctic Wear ).
You are now in an area I have researched.
Hmmm - Magazine loaded - 100 rounds.

I also like having a Repeater Shotgun for "house clearing" ( self reloading ). Also a Stun Grenade Launcher.

Against Zetans - Tazers oscillating at high Radio Frequencies. Touch their Suits / Body armour and their brains fry.
Um...a 5.56 mm round being deflected by any clothing short of Dragon Skin Body Armor is likely 99% myth.

I would really prefer Tac to be apart of this-these are Naval Infantry, remember. Because I've thought up a couple possibilities, each with different calibers.

--Hávamál
Old 10 May 11, 17:11
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Re: 5.56mm versus 7.62mm Rounds

Re: Different Caibres for Assault Rifles.

I based my Comment on the different Ammunition Types on extensive Research on the Internet, during October and November last year.
Unfortunately I do not have all of the Refernces which I used.
This is the only one which I have been able to find - and the least critical

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...t/1986/MVT.htm

However - you have to read this Report in its entirety.

After I had read over 30 different sources - some of which were much more critical than others, I boiled down all of the information and put it into a Document - but for my purposes I did not need to keep the References to my Scources, as the Colleague with whom I was working accepted the general principle anyway.

Last edited by Karakris; 10 May 11 at 17:38..
Old 10 May 11, 17:35
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsar View Post
For ground attack (assuming large scale/planetary occupation) there would probably need to be several “layers” of assault forces.

The first layer would be something like Robert A. Heinlein's mobile infantry. A specialized group that can make an assault from space to secure a beach head for follow on forces.

The second layer that would be transported down aboard assault transports. These transports would be armoured and have considerable CIWS ability. They would bring in armour, artillery, AAA and the other things needed to expand the beach head established by the drop troops.

The next layer would be regular transports bring in supplies, prefab buildings, C3I and the rest of the materials needed to sustain a force for extended periods on planet.
I agree with all of this - but I have not read the Novel in which this figures, by Heinlein.
Old 10 May 11, 18:11
General of the Forums
Pirate

Ok, I will make a Ground Forces OOB thread in the main social group.

Really, with the level of production and advances in technology, the 5.56 would not be practical. 6-7 mm rounds would probably make more sense. Naval Infantry would likely, again due to advances in technology and biotech, be able to carry more heavier rounds on them. Plus, like I mentioned, we can produce tons of anything, so a bigger round, 6-7, would make more sense for use against soft AR targets.

But I'll take all this to the Ground OOB thread.

--Hávamál

Last edited by Super Six 4; 10 May 11 at 18:14..
Old 10 May 11, 18:26
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Quote:
Ok, I will make a Ground Forces OOB thread in the main social group.

Really, with the level of production and advances in technology, the 5.56 would not be practical. 6-7 mm rounds would probably make more sense. Naval Infantry would likely, again due to advances in technology and biotech, be able to carry more heavier rounds on them. Plus, like I mentioned, we can produce tons of anything, so a bigger round, 6-7, would make more sense for use against soft AR targets.

But I'll take all this to the Ground OOB thread.
Sorry - already been done.
Old 12 May 11, 09:58
General of the Forums
Pirate

I would just like to let the Governor know that the first Naval Infantry Base, and alas the first base for ground based military in space, is to be built soon on Rhodes. The base will give room for the 1st Naval Infantry Expeditionary Unit (2,200 strong, which includes men, armored vehicles, and so on), and include such things as a weapons testing area. Major Amzi Ma'oz, formerly of the Israeli Defense Force is the leader. The 1st NEU will be a while though-training, initial weapons testing, vehicle production all have to be completed as well.

--Hávamál
Old 12 May 11, 11:01
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Worrying Trend - The Use of Naval Infantry.

Worrying Trend -

I have heard Reports that the people of New Byantium are concerned about the inaugeration of Naval Infantry.
They see this as a possible "instrument of oppression" for Systems which do not have their own Navies.
We may need to re-assure them, and other Peoples of The Confederation, that these Forces will never under any circumstances be used to impose Martial Law on Colonised Planets.

From G.M. - A Ruling
Colony Systems and Colony Worlds are not permitted to build or operate their own Defensive Bases, or Armed Ships larger than Customs Corvettes.
However, they certainly are allowed, and even encouraged to build-up their own internal Peacekeeping and Defensive Ground Forces - and to operate them as they see fit.

However - NO Forces, either Naval or Ground Forces are EVER permitted to be used against the civilian population, in the event of a secession from the Confederation, or a coup to replace a Planetary Government.

It is expected that all Colonies and Dominions will be democratic, and that governments wil respond to the expressed will of the people.
In this modern age of instant and widespread networked communications - it is impossble for any government to be unaware of the wishes of its people.

Onwards and Upwards
Old 12 May 11, 13:29
General of the Forums
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakris View Post
Worrying Trend -

I have heard Reports that the people of New Byantium are concerned about the inaugeration of Naval Infantry.
They see this as a possible "instrument of oppression" for Systems which do not have their own Navies.
We may need to re-assure them, and other Peoples of The Confederation, that these Forces will never under any circumstances be used to impose Martial Law on Colonised Planets.
Perhaps if they realized that we are at war with the Zetans, and that New Byzantium would be a bad place to lose, they wouldn't be worrying.

Quote:
From G.M. - A Ruling
Colony Systems and Colony Worlds are not permitted to build or operate their own Defensive Bases, or Armed Ships larger than Customs Corvettes.
However, they certainly are allowed, and even encouraged to build-up their own internal Peacekeeping and Defensive Ground Forces - and to operate them as they see fit.
Well then a system owned militia will be urged.

Quote:
However - NO Forces, either Naval or Ground Forces are EVER permitted to be used against the civilian population, in the event of a secession from the Confederation, or a coup to replace a Planetary Government.
Naval Infantry wouldn't but I don't think I could do much about the actions of a militia.

Quote:
It is expected that all Colonies and Dominions will be democratic, and that governments wil respond to the expressed will of the people.
In this modern age of instant and widespread networked communications - it is impossble for any government to be unaware of the wishes of its people.

Onwards and Upwards
I'm sure all humans wouldn't mind defense.

--Hávamál
Old 13 May 11, 14:57
General of the Forums
Pirate

Not sure if I posted here or not but Operation ASCENSION has started, which is the training of 60,000 Naval Infanty in one initial regiment.

--Hávamál
Old 13 May 11, 22:48
General
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dashy is simply cracking [600]
Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600]
If you can't beat em', join em.

New Byzantium would like to request permission to set up a limited arms industry, with the intent of supplying the "Space Marines" with next gen gear, using advances in weaponary and robotics, and Romes booming industry.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!