StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Alternate Timelines > Science Fiction

Notices and Announcements

Science Fiction Science Fiction as a means to discuss "future history."

Old 08 May 11, 13:16
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100]
S. F. Wargame - Ground Forces Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six 4 View Post
Copied all this down, along with the ship specs.

So really I don't have to emplace anything...

Ship building though is another story.

Also, I was just thinking...what of ground forces/Marines?

Have we really taken them into consideration? They would act as surface security for colonies, and basically take on traditional Marine duties.

If the Confederation doesn't really have something of the like, the Sol Directorate would like to build an initial Regiment of about 60,000 Naval Infantrymen, and which would include supporting vehicles. If the existing transport cruisers would suffice, then that would be good, but otherwise a different transport type might be needed.

Thoughts?

EDIT: 4,000 posts!
This might be a Good Idea -
However - there are five possible uses for the Marines or the "Low Guard" -

1) As Ground Forces to break up Civil Disturbances - Riots. Also - to reinforce Law Enforcement if Criminals get waaay out of had for the Local Police. As backup in the case of apprehending Armed Criminals, Smugglers or Pirates who have landed Illegally ( not at a proper Dock ). For that matter - Troops to enforce Law and Order at Docks, if things get out of hand for the Local Police.

2) If the Damn Zetans ever actually get to land Forces on any of our Worlds - may the Kraken defend us from THAT possibility !
Damn good Guerilla forces may also be needed.

3) If we get to do an actual Invasion of the Zetan Worlds - we may have to, in order to rescue People who are Zetan Slaves ( people includes Aliens ), or to conduct Intelligence and Sabotage Raids. Here we may need "strealthy" Marines or Commandos.

4) If we get to do a "boarding" of one or more of the Zetan Ships.
Traditional "board and storm" role of the Marines.

5) If we land on a World where there is already a sentient or sapient Species - one who we have never contacted before. Here, we may also need teams trained in Diplomacy, Liguistics and "first contact".
This is really also in the realm of the Foreign Minister - Ogilvy's Diplomats again.

On these issues - we may need to find out what Tsar and TacCovert 4 think about this - and also Ogilvy.

BTW - I forgot to explain.

Anything bigger than a Cruiser cannot be Built on a normal Planet, and cannot land on a normal Planet.
Colony Ships are a bit different - because although they are BB or SBB size - they are designed to land on "virgin planets", and have landing engines and landing gear accordingly

Incidentally - thank you for getting into the feel of this Game - I know it is damn hard work. But it also gives you a chance to use your brain, thoughts and imagination.

Onwards and Upwards
Kaar Kristoff - Minister of Interior of The Phoenix Confederation

Last edited by Karakris; 08 May 11 at 15:18.. Reason: Added a Fifth option
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 08 May 11, 17:53
General of the Forums
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakris View Post
This might be a Good Idea -
However - there are five possible uses for the Marines or the "Low Guard" -

1) As Ground Forces to break up Civil Disturbances - Riots. Also - to reinforce Law Enforcement if Criminals get waaay out of had for the Local Police. As backup in the case of apprehending Armed Criminals, Smugglers or Pirates who have landed Illegally ( not at a proper Dock ). For that matter - Troops to enforce Law and Order at Docks, if things get out of hand for the Local Police.

2) If the Damn Zetans ever actually get to land Forces on any of our Worlds - may the Kraken defend us from THAT possibility !
Damn good Guerilla forces may also be needed.

3) If we get to do an actual Invasion of the Zetan Worlds - we may have to, in order to rescue People who are Zetan Slaves ( people includes Aliens ), or to conduct Intelligence and Sabotage Raids. Here we may need "strealthy" Marines or Commandos.

4) If we get to do a "boarding" of one or more of the Zetan Ships.
Traditional "board and storm" role of the Marines.

5) If we land on a World where there is already a sentient or sapient Species - one who we have never contacted before. Here, we may also need teams trained in Diplomacy, Liguistics and "first contact".
Right-these are also what I thought of. Also, perhaps to avoid unrest...like earlier...

Quote:
This is really also in the realm of the Foreign Minister - Ogilvy's Diplomats again.

On these issues - we may need to find out what Tsar and TacCovert 4 think about this - and also Ogilvy.
Yes, I am open to input on the matter. But I do not see the need for the Foreign Affairs Minister at this point in development.

Quote:
BTW - I forgot to explain.

Anything bigger than a Cruiser cannot be Built on a normal Planet, and cannot land on a normal Planet.
Colony Ships are a bit different - because although they are BB or SBB size - they are designed to land on "virgin planets", and have landing engines and landing gear accordingly

Incidentally - thank you for getting into the feel of this Game - I know it is damn hard work. But it also gives you a chance to use your brain, thoughts and imagination.

Onwards and Upwards
Thank you.

Next I'll post my preliminary unit structure for the Naval Infantry

--Hávamál
Old 08 May 11, 17:55
General of the Forums
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
Naval Infantry

1st Naval Infantry Regiment
-60,000 strong
-Commander: Colonel Erich Adler
-3 NIEUs of 2,200 each

1st Naval Infantry Raider Platoon "Eagles"
-40 strong
-Commander: Captain Daniel Smith
--Eagle 1 (10 man section)
--Eagle 2 (10 man section)
--Eagle 3 (10 man section)
--Eagle 4 (10 man section)
-Each section=2 five man teams.

--Hávamál
Old 09 May 11, 02:17
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Answers

@ Super Six 4

Looks Very Good

Sorry - Yes - I had better have Words with TacCovert 4 - regarding some Marines / Naval Infantry for the Confederation.

As my Alter Ego - Kaar Kristoff - Internal Affairs Minister
I wil have to look into "International Crime Prevention".
That is - the Uniformed Police Force of The Phoenix Confederation -
The Confederation Police Forces - CPF.
Also - Criminal Investigation ( under cover or plain clothes ) -
The Phoenix Bureau of Criminal Investigation - PBCI.
Hmmm - that sounds like it could be in Arizona, but NVM.

I suspect that a SMALL group of Linguists, Diplomats, etc. under Ogilvy would be useful, if we come across some Friendly Aliens. These would include Rasthor - who are Empaths, and seem to be able to talk to ANYONE.

@ Dashy

That is a damn good start - I am still trying to find a way to do Graphics Pics of our Ships.

Just one thing - My Friend - I think I would advise Super Six 4 to cancel the "Guardian" and build more Local Defence Cruisers, to work with the Space Stations. Should really be Armoured or Heavy Cruisers.

To All --

I think a serious matter has been left out of our thoughts. Thanks to Dashy's Post of the "Constantine" Space Station - I have been reminded.

As nothing bigger than Cruisers can land on a true Planet - it seems we are limited to Passenger Vessels and Freighters no larger than Cruisers.

However - If we all had an Orbital Trade Hubs, like the "Constantine" - then larger Passenger Vessels and Freighters could be used between Systems.
The only change to his idea would be that they should also include Civillian / Commercial Shipyards - to build Passenger Vessels and Freighters up to 15 Km in length, and Servicing and Repair facilities for these Vessels. Of course, they should have Docking for a number of Vessels of this size.
Transport of people or goods in these larger Ships will be more efficient than in smaller Ships.
I am suggesting EVENTUALLY one of these in each of our Systems.

I have proposed a fifth Ministry for the Confederation - to be Trade and Transport, with advisory responsibility also for Commercial Development.
These matters fall into that area - but I am still waiting to see how the people will Vote on that one.
If it goes ahead - Super Six 4 will be able to Nominate the Minister for Trade and Transport.

Onwards and Upwards

Last edited by Karakris; 09 May 11 at 02:33..
Old 09 May 11, 02:59
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
At this point I don't think that PSC should be concerning itself with building a Marine Corps. All of our experiences with Zetans have shown that they only thing they respond to is a healthy dose of firepower, with an appetizer of firepower, and polished off with a dessert of firepower.

Spec ops troops would be useless as they'd be slaughtered by every zetan on the station the moment that the first one percieved they were there....that whole instant comms thingie. Plus we haven't been able to salvage one piece of information from any of the wreckage, making me wonder if they use instant comms for everything.

No, ground troops make more sense on our own planets. PSC will focus itself on the production of warships in numbers and capability to engage and eliminate the Zetan battle fleet.

Which reminds me, whatever capacity that Sol can give us, we'd like to see more CVLs for the scout fleets and BB1s for the main fleet. DDs, CLs, CAs, and Frigates are also always appreciated.
Old 09 May 11, 03:22
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Okay - Points taken

@ TacCovert 4

Okay - points taken

However - if we manage to wrest some Plantary Systems from Zetan Control - we may find some of their Enslaved Species to "recscue".

One of the systems which Attica scouted had three planets - two Zetan, which we "terraform bombed", and one with oxygen-carbon eco-system. This latter Planet had low levels of Zetan transmissions - and it is suspected that this may be a Zetan "Slave World".

Details and location data of that System have been logged and sent in tight-beam Transmissions from one of our two Automatic Monitoring Stations - to Phoenix Comms, at Beta IV.
So far - these two Monitoring Stations have logged over 150 Systems with Zetan transmissions of varying levels of intensisty - all of which has been sent by tight-beam to Phoenix Comms at Beta IV.
Attica also has copies of this Info. - received by tight-beam from the Monitoring Stations.

BTW - Not Posted -
But I have added a few CVLs, CV, BB2, BC4, CA, CL and Frigates to my "current build list". 3 Months for most - but 2 Months for BCs and Frigates.

To All -

Colonisation is continuing on Omega II - which has no native eco-system, and which is intended to be an Industrialised Planet.
Colonising of Omega III ( "Piscemund" ) and Omega IV ( "Panthalassa" ) will follow later - where there is a vast abudance of sea life ( Fish, etc. ) on both Planets, in the very extensive sea areas.

Last edited by Karakris; 09 May 11 at 03:29..
Old 09 May 11, 12:10
General of the Forums
Pirate

@Tac-you may be right, however, just as our small fighters undermine their hugeness, a small raider force could infiltrate them.

I think that we should send the "Eagles" to the possible slave world to scout, and if it is a slave world, I believe that we should move the Regiment to it.

--Hávamál
Old 09 May 11, 17:51
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Quote:
@Tac-you may be right, however, just as our small fighters undermine their hugeness, a small raider force could infiltrate them.

I think that we should send the "Eagles" to the possible slave world to scout, and if it is a slave world, I believe that we should move the Regiment to it.
Sorry to Tac - But - This seems like an idea - maybe later.
However, Good and bad points --

Good - it is an Oxygen Carbon World - the Zetans would have to be in Vac Suits or have breather packs, for to breathe their own natural Ammonia atmosphere.

Bad - Sorry about this, the Regiment could be Bombed or "Shot Up" from Space by Zetan Ships.

Best to wait until we have the Zetans on the Run here.
Even then -
Either when they are already being openly attacked by our Fleet in this System, and only good until such time as they send in a Fleet from another System.

They may be spread thin - but they have a vast number of Systems - up to 400 now registered on the Monitoring Units, and still counting.
There are probably THOUSANDS or even TENS OF THOUSANDS of Zetan Worlds.

However - give it a Month or two for a full blown "Invasion"
I will see if we can "terraform bomb" the other two Zetan Worlds a bit more first. Could get them a bit otherwise - occupied.

Then you could send in the "Eagles" for a full Recon In Force.
Old 09 May 11, 17:54
General of the Forums
Pirate

I have thought out the Naval Infantry more.

There will still be the 60,000 strong 1st Naval Infantry Regiment. There will be 3 NEUs-Naval infantry Expeditionary Units which accompany colonizing efforts on planets/put a presence on recently colonized planets. Each NEU will have 2,200 personnel.

Also apart of the 1st NIR will be two Divisions of 15,000 each, meant for heavy engagements on ground mainly.

The next 10,000 will serve on different starships as boarding/anti boarding teams/security.

The last 13,400 can be everything else from cadets, to Headquarters workers, to drill instructors, etc.

--Hávamál
Old 09 May 11, 18:20
Lieutenant General
Pirate

@ Andrew

I will await developments - but Attica may go with something similar.
Looks good to me.

Some advice - The Zetans have some "heavyweight" Alien Species which they use as Storm Troopers - all Oxygen Breathers. They could be on this Slave Planet.

One of these is the Korgoth - who are 9 feet tall and "built like brick sh*t houses" ( as they say up north in England ). I have heard of the expression "green bay packers", for hunky blokes in America.

Anyway - joking aside - Attica is cloning Korgoth by the truckload ( from snatched DNA samples ) - 20,000 per Month. Rasthor Empaths in Ogilvy's IPC are teaching them their langage, customs, culture, etc.

Hopefully - we may be able to recruit some of these Formidable People as Storm Troopers ourselves - but we cannot make them join us.

9 foot tall Storm Troopers in Body Armour can be a hell of a Force - think of the "hand weapons" they could carry. 20mm Machine Cannon fired two-handed, maybe bigger. They could carry 150mm Artillery Pieces as "man loads". Sorry - I am drooling now.
They would be some incredible Special Forces or Marines.

Now - I would suggest you need some Special Ships for your Invasion Force.
Perhaps something the size of Battleships, but able to be grounded on a Planet. They should mount lots of Medium Range and Heavy Weapons, to be fired near vertically as "anti aircraft fire", with advanced targeting systems.
Once grounded, they could fire against Ships approaching from space, to protect and defend the landing zone.
They could actually have oversized powerplants and carry oversized Railguns and Plasma Weapons - perhaps Missiles as well. Once grounded, they would be nearly as stable as ground mounted Weapons, so the advanced targeting would enable them to hit very accurately.

Just thinking is all.

Edit -- over 500 now - FIRST Lieutenant.

Last edited by Karakris; 09 May 11 at 19:21..
Sponsored Links

Old 09 May 11, 21:17
General of the Forums
Pirate

Great to hear, about those leviathans!

Just to clarify, I know earlier you suggested having certain other elements in the 1st NIR...those other 13,400 could be language specialists, foreign military liaison (to work with other possible forces of other friendly/neutral species, and Ogilvy would have a hand in this branch), etc. Also they could be DI/Boot Camp instructors, and that sort of thing.

,etc.

Ok, and I was trying to think of a craft too, that could act kind of like a current Amphib Assault Carrier, LPD, and task force, in one futuristic hulking package.

Luckily, I saw this as a possible need, although I was thinking then of something more transport like...but I suppose that something like a cruiser from Halo (like The Pillar of Autumn or Savannah) although possibly bigger could act in roughly the same way.

--Hávamál

Last edited by Super Six 4; 09 May 11 at 21:20..
Old 10 May 11, 07:42
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Quote:
Great to hear, about those leviathans!

Just to clarify, I know earlier you suggested having certain other elements in the 1st NIR...those other 13,400 could be language specialists, foreign military liaison (to work with other possible forces of other friendly/neutral species, and Ogilvy would have a hand in this branch), etc. Also they could be DI/Boot Camp instructors, and that sort of thing.

,etc.

Ok, and I was trying to think of a craft too, that could act kind of like a current Amphib Assault Carrier, LPD, and task force, in one futuristic hulking package.

Luckily, I saw this as a possible need, although I was thinking then of something more transport like...but I suppose that something like a cruiser from Halo (like The Pillar of Autumn or Savannah) although possibly bigger could act in roughly the same way.
Sounds good.
Yeh - the extra 13,400 in the Unit could be Language Specialists, Military Liaison, Instructors and "Sergeant-Majors".
However - maybe also, Crews for supporting AFVs., supporting Self-Prop. Artillery ( Railguns, Plasma Weapons, Lasers on tracked chassis ).

Just thinking - the Amphib. Assault may also need to do L.R. Ground Attack, like a Monitor - and what I was proposing was Ground Defence as well.

Never saw Halo - sorry.

Like I said a Landing Ship of BB size maybe - with powerful weapons, lots of Troop Space, and able to carry AFVs.
A Fighter complement would help - say 30 Max. would be useful.
Sounds like a cross between Armed Transport, BB, CVL.

Normally - I would try to get Tac involved in Weapons Loadouts or Ship Design - but he is not too keen on these ideas.

Ground Forces - I have done some design on these myself - using WWII and Advanced Tech., set in 2006.

We are looking at other Advanced Weapons - Linear Particle Accelerators, for Particle Beam Weapons.

Onwards and Upwards

Last edited by Karakris; 10 May 11 at 07:44..
Old 10 May 11, 09:34
General of the Forums
Pirate

I was thinking that two weapon types would be needed-types for soft targets like unruly humans or hostile species without armor or advanced armor material. Then have more plasma/laser/whatever gun types for use against armored hostile aliens.

--Hávamál
Old 10 May 11, 10:21
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Quote:
I was thinking that two weapon types would be needed-types for soft targets like unruly humans or hostile species without armor or advanced armor material. Then have more plasma/laser/whatever gun types for use against armored hostile aliens.
Sounds good - yes you may need both Troops and heavier Units.
Old 10 May 11, 10:55
General of the Forums
Pirate

What's the situation on weapons manufacturers and equipment manufacturers?

--Hávamál

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!