HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 05 May 11, 10:56
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99]
Ap Bau Bang

The images below were scanned from the 1st Infantry Division magazine Danger Forward (Vietnam Battles Part 1). The article describes the battle at Ap Bau Bang, 12 Nov 65.

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 05 May 11, 11:58
General
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
You know, I feel like you guys are reading my mind sometimes. I just got to Ap Bau Bag in Warren Wilkins' Grab Their Belts to Fight Them: The Viet Cong's Big-Unit War Against the U.S., 1965-1966, and I'm reviewing it in Stemming the Tide. If anyone is interested, you can view the AAR for BUSHMASTER I, of which Ap Bau Bang was a part, Here; courtesy of Boonie, so thank him. And thanks for the article Sidewinder.
Old 05 May 11, 17:11
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99]
Lucky 6,

Thanks for the Interesting AAR. Boonie does good work.

To add a U.S.A.F. flavor to the Bau Bang story, the U.S.A.F. had an Air Liaison Officer (ALO) and an enlisted man Radio Operator Maintainer Driver (ROMAD) out of Lai Khe on the ground with that group of 3rd Bde troops during the battle. The ALO was Captain George Partridge, call sign Sidewinder 35, and the ROMAD was A1C Kieth Fabian. They coordinated/directed the airstrikes that are mentioned in the AAR. Kieth Fabian was awarded the Silver Star for his actions during the battle. Must have been pucker time for an Air Force troop to get that involved. An airborne FAC from Lai Khe, Sidewinder 32, was also involved directing airstrikes.

Sidewinder

Old 17 Dec 12, 00:44
Recruit
United_States

meyersj is a balanced individual [0]
My dad was at Ap Bau Bang on November 12, 1965. He was a gunner on the .50 Cal. Thanks for posting. He'll love to see this.
Old 17 Dec 12, 01:33
General of the Forums
Powflag
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

DeltaOne gives and gets respect [800] DeltaOne gives and gets respect [800]
DeltaOne gives and gets respect [800] DeltaOne gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyersj View Post
My dad was at Ap Bau Bang on November 12, 1965. He was a gunner on the .50 Cal. Thanks for posting. He'll love to see this.
Nice to see your interest in the war that your father served in. As a Vietnam vet myself, I hope you will get him to join the lot of us on the site here.
Welcome to ACG.
Old 17 Dec 12, 08:17
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyersj View Post
Was your Dad in the 1/4 Cav?

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!