HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Forum Resources > Armchair Attacks! > Citizens Coliseum

Notices and Announcements

Citizens Coliseum Community Generated Tournaments

View Poll Results: Which Utopia solves the problem the best according to you?
J. Reb's State of Freedom 7 35.00%
Khryses' The People's Protectorate 0 0%
Nick's W.I. 4 20.00%
GCoyote's Oceanic Codominium 4 20.00%
Ogilvy's Colombia 4 20.00%
Philipao's Shambala 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05 May 11, 09:01
Lieutenant General
Scotland
5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashy View Post
Actually no, check the voters home pages 1. 2. and 3.

I'll admidt now that I did the same, but at least I did it in character

I suggest that Myself and ... other ... offenders be kicked from the game, its not fair for two greedy buggers to ruin it for the rest of you.
Steady now, wasn't looking in your direction.

Interesting that you jumped to that conclusion though, guilty conscience?
Man is a Religious Animal. He is the only Religious Animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion—several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat if his theology isn’t straight.
Old 05 May 11, 09:05
General
Pirate
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dashy is simply cracking [600]
Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder76 View Post
Steady now, wasn't looking in your direction.

Interesting that you jumped to that conclusion though, guilty conscience?
Yeah, basically.

Its the same as the "Voting for thyself" fiasco, I didn't really think it through before PM spamming, I only realise now how cheap it was.
Old 05 May 11, 09:14
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Canada
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign SPQR Campaign 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I don't think there is any need for anybody to quit or resign from this game. We just have to remember why Jason started it: it was supposed to give us a chance to flex our creativity in designing an alternative society. "Winning" is the least important part of it. Discussion and debate, ingenuity, inventiveness - that's what it is all about.

We have already had quite interesting divergences when it comes to the basic principle underlying an alternative community: education, economic theories, hedonism, economic class..... We just need to devise a way of carrying on this game in a manner that does not depend upon sheer popularity or mass lobbying - as this seems to lead to both friction and disinterest... I'm sure some of us eggheads and geeks came devise something...

Old 05 May 11, 09:33
General
Pirate

Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600]
Eh, I'll get Albert on to it muchos pronto!

Go Albert! stop eating sugar cubes and SOLVE!

*neigh*
Old 05 May 11, 10:55
General of the Forums
Pirate
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
Fodder-Stratego already said there wouldn't be ribbons. I already asked him.
Sponsored Links

Old 05 May 11, 11:30
General of the Forums
Wales
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Waiting for 2 people to air their views on Education before voting .
Old 05 May 11, 11:56
ACG Forums - canis administrationem
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six 4 View Post
Fodder-Stratego already said there wouldn't be ribbons. I already asked him.
This is just a user created game with only a fraction of the membership participating. We are supposed to be having fun and unleashing our creativity.

----
Now to answer the question.

The mission of the education system is to produce socially and economically competent adults. That is, they are expected to be able to use the skills they have learned to be effective workers, critical consumers, and insightful voters.

The Codominium's educational system is not limited to classical academics. While math, language, and reasoning skills are subject to rigorous testing, any economically and socially useful field of study can be incorporated into a curriculum if there is sufficient demand.

In addition to academic credentials, The Codominium makes extensive use of professional certification's to identify highly skilled individuals and confer direct competitive advantage to those who demonstrate increasing levels of ability. Teachers must be certified by subject. If you can't "do", you can't teach.

The extensive national library is available online 24/7 to assist those interested in self improvement to advance in many subject areas at their own pace. A non-for-profit testing system has also been established for adults so that those wishing to gain higher level credentials or certifications can demonstrate and document skills acquired on the the job or through self study, thereby avoiding the needless expense of taking a class just to learn that which they already know.

There is no fixed date by which a person's education is expected to end. Citizens are encouraged to acquire additional education as needed or as the interest arises throughout their lives. As older workers become less able to perform some of the more taxing jobs, they are recruited for teaching positions that both keep them productive and re-inject their real-world knowledge into the educational process.

Wide recognition of individual skill and achievement in both the marketplace and public debate help to create both respect and demand for educated citizens.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.
Old 05 May 11, 16:23
General of the Forums
EU
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade|Ogilvy View Post
BTW: its Collumbia, not Colombia.

just saying strat.
Ooooops! Please forgive

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG
Old 05 May 11, 16:37
General of the Forums
EU
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoblin View Post
I don't think there is any need for anybody to quit or resign from this game. We just have to remember why Jason started it: it was supposed to give us a chance to flex our creativity in designing an alternative society. "Winning" is the least important part of it. Discussion and debate, ingenuity, inventiveness - that's what it is all about.

We have already had quite interesting divergences when it comes to the basic principle underlying an alternative community: education, economic theories, hedonism, economic class..... We just need to devise a way of carrying on this game in a manner that does not depend upon sheer popularity or mass lobbying - as this seems to lead to both friction and disinterest... I'm sure some of us eggheads and geeks came devise something...
Nicely said Skob.
As for the objectives of the game also: it was supposed to give us a chance to flex our creativity in designing an alternative society.

But truly my patience IS now starting to run thin.

Although I'm not spending time on it as in SPQR or the AA campaigns, I AM spending time with it.

If nobody is having fun, then I have simply failed in this one and I'm not afraid to admit 'defeat'. It will simply end...it's that simple.
'Defeat' is my middle name as much as 'Victory' is. I don't care: fall and stand up again...it's almost a sport of mine

If this becomes a popularity contest, then this campaing is losing all its meaning indeed.

The Opportunistic Republic only had two votes in the last round - so what? If my Utopia goes down, it goes down, I know that I would love to live in my Utopia but maybe not everybody else.
I just hope that people read my solutions to the problems of society and think and debate with me on my given solutions: THAT is supposed to be part of the fun.

Think about it!

Greets,
Stratego

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

BORG
Old 05 May 11, 17:04
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Canada
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign SPQR Campaign 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratego View Post

If this becomes a popularity contest, then this campaing is losing all its meaning indeed.

The Opportunistic Republic only had two votes in the last round - so what? If my Utopia goes down, it goes down, I know that I would love to live in my Utopia but maybe not everybody else.
I just hope that people read my solutions to the problems of society and think and debate with me on my given solutions: THAT is supposed to be part of the fun.

Think about it!
Maybe an interesting tact might be to have people explain why they are voting for a certain republic. Thus, when all the submissions are in for this round, I plan not only to vote for one the participants but also to state what appealed to me about their education policy....

Old 05 May 11, 17:05
General
Pirate

Quote:
Nicely said Skob.
As for the objectives of the game also: it was supposed to give us a chance to flex our creativity in designing an alternative society.

But truly my patience IS now starting to run thin.

Although I'm not spending time on it as in SPQR or the AA campaigns, I AM spending time with it.

If nobody is having fun, then I have simply failed in this one and I'm not afraid to admit 'defeat'. It will simply end...it's that simple.
'Defeat' is my middle name as much as 'Victory' is. I don't care: fall and stand up again...it's almost a sport of mine

Think about it!

Greets,
Stratego
Don't worry, I have some pressing questions for you next round ....

Old 05 May 11, 17:08
Lieutenant General
Scotland
5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoblin View Post
Maybe an interesting tact might be to have people explain why they are voting for a certain republic. Thus, when all the submissions are in for this round, I plan not only to vote for one the participants but also to state what appealed to me about their education policy....
I second the eminently sensible suggestion
Man is a Religious Animal. He is the only Religious Animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion—several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat if his theology isn’t straight.
Old 05 May 11, 18:09
General of the Forums
EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder76 View Post
I second the eminently sensible suggestion
Aye and maybe we could take it yet another step futher...

BORG
Old 05 May 11, 18:50
General of the Forums
Wales
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Aye and maybe we could take it yet another step futher...
In my case education is close to my heart. Simply put, I have 3 sprogs and I want what is best for them. While my W.I. topic may be slightly tongue in cheek (although I wanted women to be represented in a non sexist way(ish)), education is far too serious for me at this point of time. Of course education is not just about schooling, but also about parents setting examples. My eldest son often sees me with a book in hand, and often several on the go at the same time. Therefore he likes to do the same . Sometimes, just sometimes, I feel I'm an excellent role-model for him.
Old 05 May 11, 18:55
Lord Of The English Manor
UK
Distinguished Service Award Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
In my case education is close to my heart. Simply put, I have 3 sprogs and I want what is best for them. While my W.I. topic may be slightly tongue in cheek (although I wanted women to be represented in a non sexist way(ish)), education is far too serious for me at this point of time. Of course education is not just about schooling, but also about parents setting examples. My eldest son often sees me with a book in hand, and often several on the go at the same time. Therefore he likes to do the same . Sometimes, just sometimes, I feel I'm an excellent role-model for him.
Beautiful....

Philip
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!