StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Research, Reference and Historical Study > Science

Notices and Announcements

Science Discussions about hard science.

Old 14 Dec 11, 14:10
Lord Of The English Manor
UK
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
That's what I thought it was.

I wanted to post the picture that often appears as an ACG ad. on the side of the page. I'd also seen it on TV ads used by real estate companies, but searching Google Images for hoverdrone, etc. failed to show the picture I wanted. I should have googled camera drone

Which produced this.

I want one.

Philip
Old 17 Jan 12, 15:43
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
This link is to a photo of Kenneth Arnold with a drawing of the crescent shaped craft(s) he saw in that famous June 1947 sighting.
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/articl...ld-ufo-drawing
Old 17 Jan 12, 16:30
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
I remember being in a department store with my parents when very young, and being drawn to a television set on display that was showing "evidence" of a saucer landing, along with the very first image I ever say of the "grey men".

I remember being terrified at the time.
Old 17 Jan 12, 16:46
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G David Bock View Post
This link is to a photo of Kenneth Arnold with a drawing of the crescent shaped craft(s) he saw in that famous June 1947 sighting.
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/articl...ld-ufo-drawing
Coast To Coast AM.
Old 15 Mar 12, 20:57
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
UFO Caught On Tape Over Santiago Air Base

EXCERPT: "This extraordinary machine was flying at velocities too high to be man-made. Scientists have estimated the speed, depending on the size of the object, to be at least 4000 - 6000 mph. Humans inside this object could not survive. And, somehow, it made no sonic boom, a noise similar to thunder which occurs whenever something exceeds the speed of sound (750 mph at sea level). The shock waves generated from an object at such high velocities would normally be enormous. But no known aircraft or drone could possibly fly this fast at such low altitudes anyway. Our fastest air-breathing jet, the SR-71, has a maximum speed of just over 2,000 mph, but that's at high altitudes.
And, this strange object is clearly operating under intelligent control. It zooms toward each set of jets at about their height, circles around and zooms back out again. Pilots who were shown the trajectory of the object in the three flybys were amazed that this maneuver is characteristic of reconnaissance aircraft coming in for a quick look at others in the sky. ..."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/leslie...b_1342585.html

Video from Chile stirs up UFO buzz

Some of the key missing points in the story have to do with the six other videos that are said to show the flying spot. Kean said that as far as she knew, those videos have not been seen by anyone outside CEFAA's investigative group. Another must-have for outside investigators would be the identity of the shooters behind the seven videos. If they turned out to be seven random people, with no relationship to one another, that would at least argue against the incident being an intentional hoax, Sheaffer said.

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...rs-up-ufo-buzz
Sponsored Links

Old 16 Mar 12, 12:36
ACG Forums - canis administrationem
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Written with Ralph Blumenthal

Is this the case UFO skeptics have been dreading? ...
No.

Quote:
It was a glorious, sunny morning on Nov. 5, 2010, when crowds gathered to celebrate the changing of the Air Force Command at El Bosque Air Base in Santiago.
Another hot story that had to simmer for a year or two so as to make conspiracy theories sound more credible.

Quote:
But afterward, an engineer from the adjacent Pillán aircraft factory noticed something bizarre while viewing his footage in slow motion. ...
Full stop -- So neither the six pilots in the formation nor the "crowds" watching them, nor the base employees actually saw anything in real time on a "sunny morning".

Quote:
The stunning conclusion: The Chilean jets were being stalked by a UFO.
Less stunning conclusion, small foreground object that appears to be moving very fast because of the viewing angle and the video frame rate.

Noteworthy that the other purported videos were not also posted for comparison. OTOH this is the internet. A video has only the provenance of the internet source. In legal terms, there is no 'chain of custody' that would allow you to say with confidence that posted video is the same as originally shot or that the circumstances of the incidents are as stated.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.
Old 17 Mar 12, 16:48
General of the Forums
United_States

Look closer and you'll note that we start with a clip of eight aircraft, possibly the F-16s, and at about 43 second mark we are into another video of six aircraft which look to be F-5s.

The perpetual challenge of the "UFO field" is material like this of questionable content and trackage which gets hyped by overzealous "supporters". Part of why I included that last paragraph in my post excerpts.
Old 13 Apr 12, 11:06
General of the Forums
United_States

Being one place for "weirdness" topics;
NASA's Unexplained Files;
http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...hp&form=MSNRLL
Old 13 Apr 12, 11:48
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
The perpetual challenge of the "UFO field" is material like this of questionable content and trackage which gets hyped by overzealous "supporters". Part of why I included that last paragraph in my post excerpts.
I haven't seen any UFF evidence that wasn't questionable.
Old 14 Apr 12, 14:06
General of the Forums
United_States

Why am I not surprised to hear this from you?!

BTW, I assume you meant "UFO", rather than "UFF".

Not to get semantic, but on a BBS like this, it's rare to find any opinion, position, or "item of data" that isn't "questionable" by someone operating here.
Old 14 Apr 12, 14:11
General of the Forums
United_States

The term "UFO" was created to provide something less specific as implied by "flying saucers", but has since been used by many to suggest that same, avoided 'generic'. Maybe, as shown in the following, we should try to apply UAP = Unidentified Aerial Phenomena ?

UFO Encounters With Airplanes: Pilots, Officials Discuss Potential Safety Hazards

QUOTE:

"It's beyond dispute that airline personnel see them and see them a lot," said professional pilot David McDonald, who runs a school for pilots and aircraft dispatchers and owns charter company Flamingo Air in Cincinnati. "However, to the best of all of our knowledge, there has never been an incident where an airplane ran into one or was attacked by one."
"[Pilots] have done evasive maneuvers to get out of the way, but that's what we're trained to do," McDonald, the new international director of the Mutual UFO Network, told The Huffington Post. "Whether [the UFO] would have veered off, it's really hard to say if they are a hazard to flight or not."
At least one scientist -- and former UFO skeptic -- strongly suggested that mid-air UFO encounters could be hazardous.
"I was trying to be a conscientious scientist and let the chips fall where they may and I immediately found a great deal of bias and fear by people who shouldn't be afraid," said former NASA research scientist Richard Haines, referring to UFOs. "Science should not be afraid."
After commercial pilots began sharing their UFO experiences with him, Haines created the National Aviation Reporting Center on Anomalous Phenomena. His organization offers a confidential reporting venue for pilots, crews and air traffic controllers hesitant to make UFO reports. Haines does not publish records that publicly reveal the names of pilots reporting incidents.
"Our objectives are to make flying safer for the flying public and we're convinced there's a potential threat posed by nearby unexplained aerial phenomena to commercial and private airplanes," Haines recently told HuffPost.
In a number of cases, the UFO or the unexplained aerial phenomena gets close enough to an aircraft and results in some sort of electromagnetic effect on certain cockpit instruments, Haines added.
"Roughly 5 to 9 percent of the total sightings have some form of electromagnetic influence in the cockpit, so our interest is trying to alert the aviation industry ahead of time to do something positive, rational, before it's too late, before an airplane goes down," Haines said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1422206.html
Old 14 Apr 12, 14:22
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Why am I not surprised to hear this from you?!

BTW, I assume you meant "UFO", rather than "UFF".
Unidentified Fantasy Fodder.
Quote:
Not to get semantic, but on a BBS like this, it's rare to find any opinion, position, or "item of data" that isn't "questionable" by someone operating here.
And...
Old 25 May 12, 02:40
General of the Forums
United_States

If I had time I'd try to find a link on Howe's site for these images, but will have to use the C2C URS. This is an example of something that shows-up on occassion in the UFO sites, by standard aerodynamics, no visisble means of support, but if something like anti-grav is employed then perhaps;

Of course, could just be good job of photoshopping;

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/articl...y-aerial-drone
Old 28 Jun 12, 02:09
General of the Forums
United_States

Americans favor Obama to defend against space aliens: poll

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/americans-f...225920716.html

Too weird!
Old 15 Jul 12, 19:52
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
Dyatlov Pass incident

Dyatlov Pass incident - an incident in the Northern Urals on February 2, 1959 which some consider to involve a UFO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!