StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Alternate Timelines > Science Fiction

Notices and Announcements

Science Fiction Science Fiction as a means to discuss "future history."

Old 21 May 11, 09:48
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100]
New Rule - Game Treads

New Rule - Sorry

Can we please in future try to keep things properly organised here.

There are now Three Threads to this Game --

Sci Fi Wargame - Main Thread - This one, for all Actual Accomplishments, Achievements, Things Built, Things Started Building,
etc.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=99969

S. F. Game - WAR Thread - For all Discussions of War with the Zetans.
OOB, Fleets, Ships, Zetan Systems, Strategy and Tactics.
AND for Postings of the actual WAR.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=109019

S.F. Wargame - Ground Forces Thread - For all Discussions of Ground Forces, Units, Weapons, Equipment, etc.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=108915

S. F. Wargame - Chat - For all other Discussions, Chat, Recommendations, Suggestions, Comments, Proposals, Disagreements even ( but please - no REAL arguments ).

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=107957

Other Threads may be created - if a real and definite need is felt.
Kaar Kristoff - Minister of Interior of The Phoenix Confederation

Last edited by Karakris; 22 May 11 at 07:11..
Old 21 May 11, 12:49
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Proposal for the People of Stigma III

As G.M.

I have strong Recommendations and a proposal for how to help and integrate the People of Stigma III into our civilisation.

First – they need a source of Protein, and lots of other Food – to free them from their dependence on Algae and cannibalism.

We DARE NOT do anything to affect the existing “eco-system” of the Oceans – any interference in that at this stage will likely just damage their only source of Food.

My Recommendation is that we should start establishing a land based eco-system, at some distance from the Sea, so as not to run the risk of interfering with or polluting the Sea. Any bacteria entering the Sea could actually put the Algae there at risk.

This is a Desert World in every possible meaning of that term.
So – I recommend that we build Oasis, many of them – say hundreds, with artificial lakes. Around these we can start growing Desert Plants – Millet, Date Trees, Acaccia Trees, rough grass. We can also start raising domestic Desert Animals – Goats, Sheep and Camels. It may also be desirable to grow a variety of other plants – including Tea, Coffee, Sugar Cane.

If we can persuade or tempt people from the coast to move to these locations – then we can begin to solve their food problems, with vegetable, meat and milk food products.
Once we have learned their Language, then Interpretation and Communcaction can also begin.

However – we must make sure that the people “running” the Oasis will not been seen as Aliens, radically different from these people.
These people should also be people who have a Desert Culture and Lifestyle, from which the native Peoples on this Planet can learn “civilised” values and ways of living.
My suggestion and very strong Recommendation is that we build Oasis which will provide core areas for a suitable Desert Culture peoples from Earth. The People on the Planet Stigma III are black skinned – and so they will probably take a little more easily to dark skinned desert people.

This is almost a classic description of the Turag People of Earth – who are a somewhat oppressed people in modern times. Their traditional Nomadic Culture formerly fitted with roaming across the extent of the Sahara Desert. However, in modern times, they are fragmented by National Boundaries - and forced into settled farming, in areas with poor ability to produce Crops.

There are actually 5.2 Million of the Tuareg Peoples ( the Kel Tamajek ) living in impoverished conditions in the deep Sahara Desert – and their location is also a problem, because a part of the Territory in which they live is a source of Uranium – the extraction and preparation of which requires large amounts of water ( in a Desert country ), and which tends to cause contamination of ground water – thus poisoning any of the wells which have not run dry.

I have a File of all Information extracted from a Wikipedia Article on the Tuaregs – which can be made available if any one is interested.
__________________________________________________ ________

So – What I am saying is Build hundreds of Oasis, to form the centres of eco-systems, to produce Crops and Animals.
Attica Dominion will volunteer to help with this part of the work.

Settle the Tuareg Peoples here - on the understanding that they can expand across the entirity of this large desert island, and maybe other islands as well – theirs could be the basic Culture of this whole World, with little or no exploitation and interference from our other peoples.
However – they would be required to assimiliate the Native People of Stigma III into their Culture – and NOT to enslave them or make them subject vassals. Pehaps a "peace keeping" Force may be required intially to enforce this.
This part of the task can be undertaken by Sol Dominion.

To this end – I would propose to call these Native People the Fremen to emphasise their right to be a Free People ( and not enslaved ).

Translation and Interpretation - Rasthor Empaths can start this process. The Language can then be taught to people in the "peace keeping" Force and the Tuareg Peoples.
Ultimately there would be a merging of the two Languages.

There should be no objection to these people aquiring the Islamic Religion of the Tuaregs, which differs in part from basic Islam.

Last edited by Karakris; 21 May 11 at 18:45..
Old 21 May 11, 18:32
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakris View Post
1) or 2) would be quite good.

In some ways 2) seems the Best one.
I would approve that one.
Five more Systems getting Posted this Weekend - so maybe they can use one of the Systems. Given a while for settling - we could have Another New Dominion in this Game.
We REALLY need to get Ogilvy on-line with Option 2)
Going with #2 then, with maybe a bit of #1 thrown in. A people armed like Switzerland might be able to spare a few.
I'll send you my ideas and you can tell me what to run with.

And Yes, Ogilvy is VERY busy with Real World issues ATM, but should be back with us next week, as he told me last week.

Here come the Rhnwyrr!
Old 21 May 11, 18:42
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Thanks

@ Exorcist

Okay - but for the Game to run true - Ogilvy will have to make the first move, in starting "First Contact".
He is Foreign Minister - and he has Rasthor Empaths, who can learn Languages very quick - to become almost instant Translators.

I am not gonna push him - but we wil have to wait for Ogilvy, before we can contact you.

I sent you a P.M. on recommended Sitrep for your People.

Aye - yes
Well Ground Forces / Naval Infantry / Marines / The "Low Guard" are becoming an issue in the limelight now.

Last edited by Karakris; 21 May 11 at 18:48..
Old 21 May 11, 19:05
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exorcist View Post
... but I'm blown away by what I see here.

I few hours of skimming and I feel about 99% as lost as I was before.
That makes two of us.
Old 21 May 11, 19:37
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Sorry - Honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate View Post
That makes two of us.
I am really Sorry - to both of You.

There is a Timeline Thread in the main Sci Fi Wargame Social Group, which gets you a good part of the way through it.

I have been here since the end of Feburary - and the Game only really got Started in January I think.

When I first found the Main Thread - I spent four hours reading the entire thing - late one night. It got me hooked.

That was something like Page 22 I think - loads has happened since, I know - and we are now on Page 60.
Old 21 May 11, 21:17
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Hmmm... looks like I had the right idea starting with Aliens.

And no rush, I have lots of stuff to go over and get this practical. Just sent you 3 PMs worth of proposals and that was just for starters.

now to the ground forces....
Old 21 May 11, 23:03
ACG Forums - General Staff
Sinc
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I'm still waiting on getting internet at my place, so updates from the Theseus System will continue to be delayed. Damn convicts are working too slowly, it seems.
Old 21 May 11, 23:55
General of the Forums
United_States

K- how does the one on the bottom left, #14, look?
Seems about 40-50% water-covered to me, if you factor in the mercator distortion.

Old 22 May 11, 07:23
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exorcist View Post
K- how does the one on the bottom left, #14, look?
Seems about 40-50% water-covered to me, if you factor in the mercator distortion.

Bottom Left looks the best bet to me -
only 4 ( not 14 ) showing here - but YES.
Go with that - as DEFINITE. Agreed.
Thanks.

Don't throw the others, might need some more.
Did not realise you were that good.

We may need some more - possibly lots,
for other Systems and other Planets.

Don't know if you are willing to help with that.
I am really not good at that sort of thing.

BTW - I have changed the Post for your Planet.
2.1 Earth Gravity
3 x Earth Atmos
50% water.
Probably the last time I can change it, before the
EDIT Option expires.
Sponsored Links

Old 22 May 11, 16:29
General of the Forums
Pirate
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
Seems Karakis knows of "Dune"-Fremen! Indeed, they seem like they'd need to be the same!

Karakis-when will the 1st NEU be ready? It was initially supposed to immediately go to Rhodes, but it seems like they could catch some rays...

--Hávamál
Old 22 May 11, 16:31
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six 4 View Post
Starving cannibals? Yeah I think they could use some food first of all.
Well yes - but we should NOT give them Weapons.
Also - we should try to provide food sources AWAY from the Sea and Coasts - to draw them into areas where we can change their lifestyle.

Question though - how much meat do you need to feed 1.25 Billion people, and how much other stuff.
A REALLY Big Job. Trucking megatonnages of edible raw food, including Meat - they have no means to cook it, so it must be ready to eat. However, they may not even be adjusted to eating cooked food at all.

Also - avoid ALL introduced Bacteria ATM - at least nowhere near the Sea, it would pollute and destroy their only EXISTING food supply.

Last edited by Karakris; 22 May 11 at 17:53..
Old 22 May 11, 16:37
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Quote:
Seems Karakis knows of "Dune"-Fremen! Indeed, they seem like they'd need to be the same!

Karakis-when will the 1st NEU be ready? It was initially supposed to immediately go to Rhodes, but it seems like they could catch some rays...
The "Peace Keeping Force" yes.
The 1st NEU will need to finish Basic Training and do a one-month Special Training for this Mission - maybe one Month from now ( a week in "real time" ) - they can do some of this in the Desert.

Hmmm - you will only need body armour - maybe all-over body armour for this Job. Maybe "nightsticks" for weapons - but please, used with discretion.

I really HATE to sound Racist - but Units coming into contact with the Native People - try to stick to dark skinned people, the darker the better.
Africans, Tamils, Eritreans, Ethiopeans - Eritreans are used to living in Desert conditions, so are Ethiopeans.

Last edited by Karakris; 22 May 11 at 16:44..
Old 22 May 11, 17:38
General of the Forums
Pirate
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
I would like to transfer Lieutenant Amzi Ma'oz's 1st Naval Infantry Division command to command of 1st Naval Infantry Expeditionary Unit (NEU1), which will be made up of middle eastern and African military members. I agree that nightsticks should be carried, but an arsenal of FA68s should be available.

--Hávamál
Old 22 May 11, 17:51
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Quote:
I would like to transfer Lieutenant Amzi Ma'oz's 1st Naval Infantry Division command to command of 1st Naval Infantry Expeditionary Unit (NEU1), which will be made up of middle eastern and African military members. I agree that nightsticks should be carried, but an arsenal of FA68s should be available.
All Agreed - sounds good.

Still waiting on Ogilvy to come back on-line - sorry but he has the Rasthor Empaths / Translators.

So we may even need to capture a few of these people - GENTLY, to learn their Language. Temp them with Fresh Meat, maybe.

Don't get them keen on Pork though, the Middle Eastern peoples wil NOT like that - Pork is "Unclean" and forbidden to Muslim ( Islamic ) people.
Try them with Lamb and Goat Meat, maybe.
Vegetables as well. Something tasty - like Capsicums, Sweet Chillies, Sweetcorn, Dates, Tamarinds, Figs, loads of things.
They just HAVE to be bored sick of Seaweed.

As far the Scout Group Crew could tell - they are Human, without actually being Human. Perhaps we all have common Ancient Prehistoric or even pre-prehistoric Ancestors.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!