HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War II > Armor in World War II > German and Axis Armor

Notices and Announcements

German and Axis Armor Discuss German and Axis armored fighting vehicles in World War II. This is also the forum for Achtung Panzer.

Old 17 Mar 11, 23:11
Brigadier General
United_States

Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200]
German Africa Corps Tanks in present day Libya?

I am seeking info on surviving German tanks in Libya and whether if there are any working tanks there today?

Are there collectors of Axis armor in northern Africa?

Thanks

Britannia Invasion:
Chief Meurig, son of Frtigern of the Silures
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 18 Mar 11, 06:56
Colonel
United_States

Hetzer 15 is on the path to success [1-99] Hetzer 15 is on the path to success [1-99] Hetzer 15 is on the path to success [1-99] Hetzer 15 is on the path to success [1-99] Hetzer 15 is on the path to success [1-99] Hetzer 15 is on the path to success [1-99]
If there were any left they would not be in running condition. I have looked into this over the years, and came up empty. I know there are some cracked up B-24's out in the deep desert, they find every now and then...
Old 18 Mar 11, 12:01
ACG Forums - General Staff
England
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
They were finding unexploded mines in the desert for decades after the war (killed many a wondering camel,... and their owners) but most of the wreckage has long since been hauled away as scrap. You might still find some barbed wire, metal stakes and revetment materials buried near the old Tobruk, Gazala and Alamein battlefields.

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Last edited by The Purist; 18 Mar 11 at 13:22..
Old 18 Mar 11, 12:19
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Purist View Post
They were finding un exdploded mines in the desert for decades after the war (killed many a wondering camel,... and their owners)
Yes, the Bedouin reversed the age old practice of having their wives walk several yards behind them ...
Old 18 Mar 11, 14:05
Sergeant Major
Germany
5 Year Service Ribbon 

NagaSadow is on the path to success [1-99] NagaSadow is on the path to success [1-99] NagaSadow is on the path to success [1-99] NagaSadow is on the path to success [1-99] NagaSadow is on the path to success [1-99] NagaSadow is on the path to success [1-99]
IIRC the Panzer III Ausf. M of the German Tank Museum in Munster came from Lybia or Tunisia in the 80ties.
Old 18 Mar 11, 18:52
Colonel
United_States

Hetzer 15 is on the path to success [1-99] Hetzer 15 is on the path to success [1-99] Hetzer 15 is on the path to success [1-99] Hetzer 15 is on the path to success [1-99] Hetzer 15 is on the path to success [1-99] Hetzer 15 is on the path to success [1-99]
90% of all tanks made by Germany during the war are in the scrap yard and long gone. The cutters torch was very busy in the years after 1945.

I have read books were in Libya and Tunisia, local vendors still have 55 gallon steel drums from the germans and using them for all manner of things...pictures I have seen even have the Nazi marks still on them and numbers as well! Pretty amazing...

IIRC I read about a ME-109 that was found pretty much intact after a sandstorm in the 70's..it was broken up for parts and canabalised.
Old 19 Mar 11, 13:12
Brigadier General
United_States
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

JBark has demonstrated strength of character [100] JBark has demonstrated strength of character [100] JBark has demonstrated strength of character [100] JBark has demonstrated strength of character [100] JBark has demonstrated strength of character [100] JBark has demonstrated strength of character [100] JBark has demonstrated strength of character [100] JBark has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I'd say the closest WWII German armor would be in Israel. I think they have a PzIV used by the Syrians in the 6 day war. I've seen pictures of it but I don't know if it still works.
Old 19 Mar 11, 18:15
Sergeant Major
England

Pzkpfw-e is on the path to success [1-99] Pzkpfw-e is on the path to success [1-99] Pzkpfw-e is on the path to success [1-99] Pzkpfw-e is on the path to success [1-99] Pzkpfw-e is on the path to success [1-99]
Israel have PzIV & JpzIV, with the former both in museums and (with the latter) still dug in along the Golan Heights.
There are no known German armoured relics still in the Western Desert region, however, there are several Italian ones.
The El-Alamein museum (OK, Egypt!) has the wrecks of an AB41, an M14/41 one in good condition & one upper hall & turret, a Semovente M40 da 75/18 and there are several wrecks of Italian medium tanks in the middle of a mine field in the Calansho Sand Sea.

The El-Alamein museum contains several British relics too.
The remains of the B24 "Lady Be Good" is in pieces in a museum in Tobruk. That was recovered from the deep desert, a very sad tale (Both its loss & its removal process!)
http://www.ladybegood.com/
Old 19 Mar 11, 21:46
Brigadier General
United_States

Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200]
Thanks!

Britannia Invasion:
Chief Meurig, son of Frtigern of the Silures
Old 19 Mar 11, 22:44
General of the Forums
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
I doubt there's any German armor left lying around in the deserts of NA. Small arms on the other hand... Is a whole other situation.

Old 30 Mar 11, 05:08
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Pappy is on the path to success [1-99] Pappy is on the path to success [1-99] Pappy is on the path to success [1-99] Pappy is on the path to success [1-99]
I recall talking to an old friend who was there in the late 70's working as a technician for an oil company or something. He said that during a journey they saw a bunch of black vehicles in the middle of the desert and asked the guide to take a look. It was several destroyed trucks and some half sunk tanks with lots of stuff laying around. His friend collected a nice Africa corps helmet carrying a palm tree. My friend still complains why he didn't take one himself.

Btw I have seen pictures on the web taken by a soldier during the Iraq II invasion showing WWII tanks in a museum or private collection in Bagdad, but they seemed to be mostly English. Original paint was still in good condition though.

/Pappy
Old 30 Mar 11, 05:42
Brigadier General
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer25 View Post
I doubt there's any German armor left lying around in the deserts of NA. Small arms on the other hand... Is a whole other situation.
A couple of years ago I remember coming across a link to a forum where a guy from somewhere in Eastern Europe excavating battlefield areas. He found masses of stuff from old rifles to helmets to ammunition. Interesting finds but I wouldn't fancy having a dig myself in case that cool looking grenade goes boom. I can't for the life of me remember the site, I think the forum had a purple/black colour scheme IIRC.

If you Google something like WW2 battlefield excavations you find a ton of sites. A lot of them find fallen soldiers, which brings the reality back, and they contact the relevant governments to get them home to a proper resting place.
Old 30 Mar 11, 07:02
Brigadier General
United_States
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTy8Txfq5BE
Old 31 Mar 11, 13:59
Sergeant Major
England

Pzkpfw-e is on the path to success [1-99] Pzkpfw-e is on the path to success [1-99] Pzkpfw-e is on the path to success [1-99] Pzkpfw-e is on the path to success [1-99] Pzkpfw-e is on the path to success [1-99]
There are several WW2 relics displayed in Iraq, Churchills, L3/33, Crusaders, Lorraine Schlepper, look through the files at "Surviving Panzers" http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_Panzers.html
The Renault FTs found in Afghanistan are extremely interesting!

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!