StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 04 Apr 11, 15:10
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Great pic of the M107 Ken, looks like 6-32 Art by the markings.
Old 05 Apr 11, 11:42
Sergeant Major
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99]
Hand Drawn Maps - Junction City I & II

Couple of hand drawn maps from a 1st ID 8 page document Combat Comments 2-67, prepared by the G3 Section, 1st Infantry Division, describing Operation Junction City I (Feb '67) & Junction City II (Mar '67). I had sent this document home to my parents, and included a letter explaining the operation so I noted on the Junction City I map "Here's where we stayed for Junction City I".

Junction City I

Junction City II

Old 05 Apr 11, 11:57
General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500]
skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500]
Good gosh, those are nice maps...never seen anything quite like them.
Old 05 Apr 11, 13:39
Sergeant Major
United_States

Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99]
Iron Triangle

Another hand drawn map. The Iron Triangle, from the Pacific Stars & Stripes, Thursday, Feb. 9, 1967. Most maps just have an acute triangle drawn to show the shape of the Triangle, this map shows a more realistic outline of its shape.

Old 05 Apr 11, 15:28
General of the Forums - Departed Hero & Friend
United_States
ACG Order of Valiant Honor Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder CC View Post
Couple of hand drawn maps from a 1st ID 8 page document Combat Comments 2-67, prepared by the G3 Section, 1st Infantry Division, describing Operation Junction City I (Feb '67) & Junction City II (Mar '67). I had sent this document home to my parents, and included a letter explaining the operation so I noted on the Junction City I map "Here's where we stayed for Junction City I".
Oh my, Sidewinder....

I "googled" Combat Comments 2-67 and came up with this info found at this link http://www.quarterhorsecav.org/pg44e1.htm

Your finding stuff I haven't seen. LOVE IT!

In the comment of yours "Here's where we stayed for Junction City I"; are these comments relating to you personally?

Are you aware of anything like these for the periods July '67 thru Jun '68?
This was my time-frame with the 1/28th.

What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.
Sponsored Links

Old 05 Apr 11, 16:06
Sergeant Major
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN JENSEN View Post
Oh my, Sidewinder....

I "googled" Combat Comments 2-67 and came up with this info found at this link http://www.quarterhorsecav.org/pg44e1.htm

Your finding stuff I haven't seen. LOVE IT!

In the comment of yours "Here's where we stayed for Junction City I"; are these comments relating to you personally?

Yep, that's the document. Good find.

"we' means a contingent of two FACs, one Crew Chief (me), and one O-1 Birddog, from Lai Khe...there to support the 3rd Bde/1st ID.

No, I'm afraid not. Rest easy though, your brothers from the 1/28th were there near the top of the horseshoe and did an honorable job.
Old 05 Apr 11, 17:54
Sergeant Major
Powflag

hankwill has disabled reputation
S3 maps

I was with the 25th during Junction City and I don't think that we had a clue as to where the Iron Triangle started,stopped,it's shape or size.Nice souvenir maps tho.
Old 06 Apr 11, 16:03
Sergeant Major
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by

[COLOR="Blue"
"we' means a contingent of two FACs, one Crew Chief (me), and one O-1 Birddog, from Lai Khe...there to support the 3rd Bde/1st ID.[/COLOR]
Here's a map showing Soui Da. The coorrdinates are supposed to be XT340583, which I believe are wrong. The coordinates on the map looks like XT344577. If you use the converter and use XT340583, Google Earth shows it about right, like in the aerial photo below; however, if you plug in XT344577 it's too far away from the road.

This map is dated 1965 which is the year the FSB was opened. That's Nui Ba Den on the left.

Old 06 Apr 11, 16:53
General of the Forums
United_States

SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Here's a map showing Soui Da. The coorrdinates are supposed to be XT340583, which I believe are wrong. The coordinates on the map looks like XT344577. If you use the converter and use XT340583, Google Earth shows it about right, like in the aerial photo below; however, if you plug in XT344577 it's too far away from the road.

This map is dated 1965 which is the year the FSB was opened. That's Nui Ba Den on the left.

Very familiar with that area. The 2-22nd got involved in a major operation with VC on the North East slope, roughly the intersection of grid lines 28, 60. We took a lot of casualties in trying to root them out of the heavy jungle on that slope, pounding it with thousands of rounds of artillery and countless air strikes. That side of the mountain still bears the scars of that battle even today.

Photo from Bing Live Earth.

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Last edited by SRV Ron; 13 Jul 17 at 07:51..
Old 06 Apr 11, 17:33
Sergeant Major
United_States

SRV Ron,

For the benefit of everyone, here's a map showing the whole moutain:

Old 06 Apr 11, 19:39
General of the Forums
United_States

SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
SRV Ron,

For the benefit of everyone, here's a map showing the whole mountain:
Thanks, my map is currently missing and buried somewhere. Now, there is a good comparasion on the contour map and the satellite photo.

I was on the summit of Nui Cau, the north peak, three weeks earlier. Unfortunately, my camera had a broken aperture at the time so I have no photos. It took all morning to hack our way to the top. The jungle was extra lush on the volcanic soil. There was a plant with a huge flower on the top. We came down the North slope on a steep decent that took about 15 minutes.

Nui Cau is off to the right of the photo. This was taken before the jungle on the side of the mountain was turned into rubble.

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Last edited by SRV Ron; 13 Jul 17 at 07:51..
Old 06 Apr 11, 21:20
Sergeant Major
United_States

Great photo Ron, thanks.

I've seen a bunch of Nui Ba Den pics but I don't recall ever seeing one that close up. Is that Nui Cau we're looking at?

Ken
Old 08 Apr 11, 17:28
Sergeant Major
United_States

SRV Ron,

Were you with the 2/22 4th ID or 25th ID?
Old 09 Apr 11, 02:29
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
SRV Ron,

Were you with the 2/22 4th ID or 25th ID?
Actually both That's an interesting question to me as well, I believe he was with the triple-deuce when the 4th and 25th Inf Divs exchanged their 3d Brigades in August 1967. Ron, do you remember anything about that? was there a formal ceremony at Dau Tieng or Tay NInh West?
Old 09 Apr 11, 17:39
Sergeant Major
United_States

Quote:
Great photo Ron, thanks.

I've seen a bunch of Nui Ba Den pics but I don't recall ever seeing one that close up. Is that Nui Cau we're looking at?
Ken
Ron,

Just noticed in your previous post that you said Nui Cau is on the right...disregard my question about it.

Ken

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!