StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 11 Mar 11, 13:00
Sergeant Major
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99]
Here's some images from the DoD Tactical Aerodrome Directory, South Vietnam, 15 October 1967, that depict the places Ken Jensen lists on his map. The Lat-Long are on each plate so you can go to Google Earth and go to what's left of these places.

Old 11 Mar 11, 13:33
General of the Forums - Departed Hero & Friend
United_States
ACG Order of Valiant Honor Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Nice pics Sidewinder...GOOD JOB!

heeheehee, Most the time we operated "outside" the wire of these areas. But, it also seems every night we had to defend these areas also.

What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.
Old 11 Mar 11, 16:12
General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500]
skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500]
Earth Point is a handy tool for converting grid coordinates to lat/long for viewing on Google Earth.

http://www.earthpoint.us/Convert.aspx

Vietnam is in UTM grid 48Q. The first photo posted by Sidewinder CC is at XT772381 so, in the position box, type 48QXT772381, click the Calc button and Earth Point will return 1111'44.3382", 10637'22.5739".

Or, click on the View on Google Earth button and it'll take you there.
Old 12 Mar 11, 15:14
Sergeant Major
United_States

Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99]
Skip,

Excellent! Works good.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 19 Mar 11, 09:21
General of the Forums
Powflag
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
You have a real nice find here Sidewinder. Thanks for posting the photos and I look forward to more being found and shared.

Absolutely EXCELLENT!
Old 19 Mar 11, 18:14
Sergeant Major
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
You have a real nice find here Sidewinder. Thanks for posting the photos and I look forward to more being found and shared.

Absolutely EXCELLENT!
DeltaOne,

Where were you stationed? If I can find TAD plates of at, or near, where you were I will post them.

Sidewinder
Old 27 Mar 11, 18:10
General of the Forums
Powflag
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Da Nang and FOB 1 - Phu Bai
Old 27 Mar 11, 18:28
Sergeant Major
United_States

I'll see what I can find.
Old 28 Mar 11, 18:11
Sergeant Major
United_States

French Fort

Does anyone have the map coordinates of French Fort (near Tay Ninh/Nui Ba Den)?
Old 28 Mar 11, 18:26
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder CC View Post
Does anyone have the map coordinates of French Fort (near Tay Ninh/Nui Ba Den)?
XT 273679. It was located at Bau Co pond, 9 km north of Nui Ba Den. FSB SANTA BARBARA was there also at some point.

Last edited by Boonierat; 28 Mar 11 at 18:29..
Sponsored Links

Old 30 Mar 11, 11:45
Sergeant Major
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
Da Nang and FOB 1 - Phu Bai
No joy DeltaOne. The aerodrome plates for Danang and Phu Bai are just drawings of the runways...no aerial photos.
Old 30 Mar 11, 12:32
General of the Forums
Powflag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder CC View Post
No joy DeltaOne. The aerodrome plates for Danang and Phu Bai are just drawings of the runways...no aerial photos.
10-4 friend. No worries, no worries. Thanks for looking!
Old 30 Mar 11, 16:08
Sergeant Major
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiplc View Post
Earth Point is a handy tool for converting grid coordinates to lat/long for viewing on Google Earth.

http://www.earthpoint.us/Convert.aspx

Vietnam is in UTM grid 48Q. The first photo posted by Sidewinder CC is at XT772381 so, in the position box, type 48QXT772381, click the Calc button and Earth Point will return 1111'44.3382", 10637'22.5739".

Or, click on the View on Google Earth button and it'll take you there.
skiplc,

I think Vietnam is UTM 48P. I have a take-home map of Tay Ninh ("XT" Stock No. L70146231IV) that says it's grid zone 48P. I've tried 48Q on a few coordinates and 48Q took me to China, whereas the same coordinates using 48P took me to the desired spot in Vietnam. 48QXT772381 did go to Lai Khe however. Hummm...
Old 30 Mar 11, 16:21
General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500]
skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500]
You're correct...I've been plotting targets mostly located in Quang Tri province and north of the DMZ and should have explained better. Here's a UTM Zone Map.

http://www.dmap.co.uk/utmworld.htm

48P, 49P, 48Q, and 49Q will cover VN.
Old 04 Apr 11, 14:48
Sergeant Major
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonierat View Post
XT 273679. It was located at Bau Co pond, 9 km north of Nui Ba Den. FSB SANTA BARBARA was there also at some point.
Thanks for the coordinates Boonierat. I finally got off my dead arse and dug out my copy of Where We Were in Vietnam and looked it up.

A USAF Radio Operator bud of mine was there off and on, early '67. I Sent him a scan of a map of the French Fort location and a Google Earth pic of the location; he really appreciated it, and said 'yep, that's it.'

Here's a pic of an M107 he took while there.

Those 175's were loud SOB's. While at Soui Da during Operation Junction City they were there. Damn near had a heart attack when they cut loose in the middle of the night while I was sleeping.

Break Break

April 2007 I ran across a photo taken by a Grunt of a FAC aircraft that went straight in. Here's what he said:

I served with Co. A, 2nd Battalion 22nd Regiment (Mechanized), 25th Infantry Division (Triple Deuce, Electric Strawberry)in 1970 in Vietnam. Out base camps were at Cu Chi and Tay Ninh and we traveled pretty widely in the III Corps area and into Cambodia in May 1970. Here are some pics:

Not much remains of a downed Forward Air Control (FAC) light aircraft that crashed in an area called the French Fort. We never were able to recover any crew members.

It was a pretty big effort to try to recover the crew. There were choppers that came to take away the parts. We tried to lift it out of the mud with a crane but it just pulled to pieces and the crane became stuck in the mud as well. It was the rainy season. We left the area and others were working at the plane site. Not sure of the outcome but I presume the recovery would not have been possible.

My luck...I can't find the pic in my files. My PC crashed several times since 2007 so I think it's gone to la la land. And...I can't relocate his posting. Any way, there is info on the crash and the crewmembers that were killed in the crash, but no coordinates of the crash site near the Fort. I'm still trying to find out (Long Shot).

Thanks again,

Sidewinder

Edit: Bau Co Pond can still be seen on the Google Earth image.

Last edited by Sidewinder CC; 04 Apr 11 at 14:49.. Reason: Bau Co Pond

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!