StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 08 Jun 06, 11:00
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
This thread is for posting, discussing or asking about Vietnam War-related maps, feel free to share anything relevant here (thanks to Ken Hinks aka Sidewinder CC for the idea!)

A few useful links:

DMA L-1501 Series (1:250,000, all of them): http://www.nexus.net/~911gfx/sea-ao.html
DMA L-7014 Series (1:50,000, all of them): http://www.vietnam.ttu.edu/virtualar...s-redirect.htm

Map reading, Vietnam-era:

Part 1 - Map Symbols

Part 2 - Grid, Distance and Elevation

Last edited by Boonierat; 01 Mar 11 at 04:56..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 04 Jan 11, 14:18
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99]
Post Vietnam Map Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN JENSEN View Post
Could well have been if he made somewhat of a "shaky" landing on the air strip at Phuoc Vinh. I was still at Phuoc Vinh - moved out
of there on the 13th of Sept '67
to Claymore Corner for road clearing (for convoy that was to re-supply Phuoc Vinh). Of course,
him (pilot) being slumped over - everyone that watched the goings on (landing and pulling pilot out of cockpit), ass-um-ed he was dead.
Sure glad your Captain White lived.

Ken,

Could you tell me what Brigade of the 1st ID was at Puoc Vinh May '67?

Thanks.
Old 04 Jan 11, 14:22
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder CC View Post
Ken,

Thanks.
The 1st
Old 04 Jan 11, 18:51
General of the Forums - Departed Hero & Friend
United_States
ACG Order of Valiant Honor Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Ken,

Thanks.
Yep! As always Boonie is correct. The Battalion moved Base Camp to Quan Loi on 29 Nov of '67. Before they got to Quan Loi they were diverted to Bu Dop. Not sure if the whole Brigade moved though - think they did. I was still in Japan (from previous wound). Returned on Dec 4, '67 to Quan Loi and immediately went out to Bu Dop where major battle was taking place. I had been off in Japan healing for 2mths. Dec 3 '67 got drunker then hell in Tokyo then flew out morning of Dec 4th; was in middle of battle with hangover (out of shape) and chitting my pants evening of the 4th. Next day early Patrol out to get shot at a few times. And the chit continued... LOL!

Were you with the 1st ID or at Phuoc Vinh?

What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.
Old 04 Jan 11, 22:32
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Yep! As always Boonie is correct. The Battalion moved Base Camp to Quan Loi on 29 Nov of '67. Before they got to Quan Loi they were diverted to Bu Dop. Not sure if the whole Brigade moved though - think they did. I was still in Japan (from previous wound). Returned on Dec 4, '67 to Quan Loi and immediately went out to Bu Dop where major battle was taking place. I had been off in Japan healing for 2mths. Dec 3 '67 got drunker then hell in Tokyo then flew out morning of Dec 4th; was in middle of battle with hangover (out of shape) and chitting my pants evening of the 4th. Next day early Patrol out to get shot at a few times. And the chit continued... LOL!

Were you with the 1st ID or at Phuoc Vinh?

I was at Lai Khe supporting the 3rd Bde. I was with the USAF Birddogs there (Forward Air Control).

Another question...Do you have a map that shows the TAOR of the 1st Bde during '67?

The reason I'm pestering you with these questions is to settle a dispute (that's been going on for several years now) between a former USAF radio operator buddy of mine, that was stationed at Song Be, and me concerning the 1st ID NOT coming to the aid of a couple 5th SF platoons that mixed it up with the NVA and VC in a battle that took place south of Song Be and north of Phuoc Vinh, 3 May '67. The commanding general of the 1st ID said he would come to their aid if needed. The imbattled SF troops called for help but the 1st ID said they couldn't come. My Song Be buddy claims it was the 3rd Bde/1st ID that failed to show up. Of course, being that I was attached to the 3rd Bde, I said no it wasn't...but had no answer as to who it would be. Now, if I can prove to my bud that the battle area was in the 1st BDE AOR I might be able to dummy him up once and for all time.
Old 05 Jan 11, 01:52
United_States

KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
I was at Lai Khe supporting the 3rd Bde. I was with the USAF Birddogs there (Forward Air Control).

Another question...Do you have a map that shows the TAOR of the 1st Bde during '67?

The reason I'm pestering you with these questions is to settle a dispute (that's been going on for several years now) between a former USAF radio operator buddy of mine, that was stationed at Song Be, and me concerning the 1st ID NOT coming to the aid of a couple 5th SF platoons that mixed it up with the NVA and VC in a battle that took place south of Song Be and north of Phuoc Vinh, 3 May '67. The commanding general of the 1st ID said he would come to their aid if needed. The imbattled SF troops called for help but the 1st ID said they couldn't come. My Song Be buddy claims it was the 3rd Bde/1st ID that failed to show up. Of course, being that I was attached to the 3rd Bde, I said no it wasn't...but had no answer as to who it would be. Now, if I can prove to my bud that the battle area was in the 1st BDE AOR I might be able to dummy him up once and for all time.
ROFLOL!

I hear you bud. By the way I went to your profile after my post and seen you with A1st Class stripes. Chit I only made A2nd Class in four years while I was enlisted in the AF.

Have you ever heard of these terms SNAFU (Situation Normal, All Fk'd Up) and/or FUBAR (Fk'ed Up Beyond All Recognition) - LOL well as you know, that was Vietnam!

Anyway here is what I did a few years back as to my adventure....

Don't believe the above will help you much, so here is some additional information.

The above map almost covers all of the 1st Inf DIV (AO). Each Brigade was responsible for specific areas. However, the Battalions within EACH Brigade, operated on what was basically called an RRF (Ready Reaction Force). This meant, any Battalion within any Brigade, may be Air Assaulted anywhere at any time, if available. Basically we (as Platoons, Companies and Battalions) were under control of whichever Brigade was assigned as the Command Control of an operation or location designated by Division. As you see we operated under control of the 1st (our Parent Brigade), but also operated under control of the 2nd and even 3rd Brigade at almost any time.

Song Be was indeed the 1st Bde AO, however at the time and incident your are debating, all Battalions within the 1st Bde may have been committed elsewhere at the time the SF Unit needed aid. Therefore, elements of the 2nd Bde, or 3rd Bde may very well have been assigned to come to the aid of the SF Unit per direction of the Division.

So you maybe right and your buddy maybe right. Who the f'k knows?

LOL - Bonnie KNOWS! If he can't help you I think I maybe able to help - NOT SURE. Bonnie seems to have at his "fingertips" (God Bless him) the necessary source that provides the answer to your question. Whereas, I may have to do a little more digging through my stuff. The source would be After Action Reports and/or Lessons Learned Reports for the DATE in question. These reports do contain who may have been assigned where at specific times and/or operations - NO GUARANTEES though!

If Boonie doesn't come through within a short period (day or two) I'll jump back in and try and help out. LOL - Nothing like "passing the buck" - LOVE IT!

What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.

Last edited by KEN JENSEN; 05 Jan 11 at 01:56..
Old 06 Jan 11, 20:55
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
ROFLOL!

I hear you bud. By the way I went to your profile after my post and seen you with A1st Class stripes. Chit I only made A2nd Class in four years while I was enlisted in the AF.

Have you ever heard of these terms SNAFU (Situation Normal, All Fk'd Up) and/or FUBAR (Fk'ed Up Beyond All Recognition) - LOL well as you know, that was Vietnam!

Don't believe the above will help you much, so here is some additional information.

The above map almost covers all of the 1st Inf DIV (AO). Each Brigade was responsible for specific areas. However, the Battalions within EACH Brigade, operated on what was basically called an RRF (Ready Reaction Force). This meant, any Battalion within any Brigade, may be Air Assaulted anywhere at any time, if available. Basically we (as Platoons, Companies and Battalions) were under control of whichever Brigade was assigned as the Command Control of an operation or location designated by Division. As you see we operated under control of the 1st (our Parent Brigade), but also operated under control of the 2nd and even 3rd Brigade at almost any time.

Song Be was indeed the 1st Bde AO, however at the time and incident your are debating, all Battalions within the 1st Bde may have been committed elsewhere at the time the SF Unit needed aid. Therefore, elements of the 2nd Bde, or 3rd Bde may very well have been assigned to come to the aid of the SF Unit per direction of the Division.

So you maybe right and your buddy maybe right. Who the f'k knows?

LOL - Bonnie KNOWS! If he can't help you I think I maybe able to help - NOT SURE. Bonnie seems to have at his "fingertips" (God Bless him) the necessary source that provides the answer to your question. Whereas, I may have to do a little more digging through my stuff. The source would be After Action Reports and/or Lessons Learned Reports for the DATE in question. These reports do contain who may have been assigned where at specific times and/or operations - NO GUARANTEES though!

If Boonie doesn't come through within a short period (day or two) I'll jump back in and try and help out. LOL - Nothing like "passing the buck" - LOVE IT!

I think you're right "Who the f'k knows?". Any unit could have gotten the nod to be the reaction force...I don't think this will ever be resolved, at least not at our level. The folks actually involved would have to step forward and spill their guts. Thanks for trying to resolve my questions.

That's a great map, with notations. It must of taken some time to put that together.

Looks like you moved around a great deal. I didn't move around that much. Been to Saigon, Bien Hoa, Dau Tieng, Suoi Da (SF A-322, during operation Junction City), Vung Tau, Song Be, Cam Ranh Bay, and Ben Cat. Suoi Da was the only place that had anything to do with combat that I was ordered to go to, other than my home bases of Bien Hoa and Lai Khe.
Old 07 Jan 11, 14:06
United_States

Quote:
I think you're right "Who the f'k knows?". Any unit could have gotten the nod to be the reaction force...I don't think this will ever be resolved, at least not at our level. The folks actually involved would have to step forward and spill their guts. Thanks for trying to resolve my questions.
hmmmm, tried to find stuff for you....

Check this link out; it covers May 1967. Depending on your system it will take a couple of min to load (.PDF - Adobe Reader needed) - not much help but may be interesting for you (** you can use the search after loading to assist)

DTIC OPERATIONAL REPORT - LESSONS LEARNED 01 MAY 1967 31 JULY 1967

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc...c=GetTRDoc.pdf

However other stuff I found indicates that MAYBE the 273rd VC Regiment may have been causing the problems during May in the Song Be area...

The Coordinate of YT0339 gives the indication....

P.S. I know there is something out there, but I don't have it. Much searching of Unit Records would be necessary... GOOD LUCK
with your argument with your buddy LOL

Last edited by KEN JENSEN; 07 Jan 11 at 14:09..
Old 26 Jan 11, 22:07
Sergeant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99] Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99] Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
ROFLOL!

[snip]

[snip]

Ken, I note that, per #15, the 1st Div was operating just west of the Song Dong Nai. Was that the dividing line between the 1st and the 9th? I know that when my Bn, the 4/39th, went from Bear Cat to Nha Be (just SE of Saigon) and my company was based at Cat Lai (right about where the Song Dong Nai turns into the Song Nha Be), we were told that our AO was south of the river, and everything north of Cat Lai belonged to the Big Red One.

Incidentally and FYI, I'm about to start back on my blog here, "Ranger Jim's Combat Stories - 4/39 Inf Hardcore - RVN 1967-68", complete with maps and more scans....

Jim

Last edited by Ranger Jim; 26 Jan 11 at 22:14.. Reason: Trying to get the image in my sig to work!
Old 27 Jan 11, 03:14
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Jim View Post
Ken, I note that, per #15, the 1st Div was operating just west of the Song Dong Nai. Was that the dividing line between the 1st and the 9th? I know that when my Bn, the 4/39th, went from Bear Cat to Nha Be (just SE of Saigon) and my company was based at Cat Lai (right about where the Song Dong Nai turns into the Song Nha Be), we were told that our AO was south of the river, and everything north of Cat Lai belonged to the Big Red One.

Incidentally and FYI, I'm about to start back on my blog here, "Ranger Jim's Combat Stories - 4/39 Inf Hardcore - RVN 1967-68", complete with maps and more scans....

Jim
LOL! Sorry JIm, I never knew what OUR AO was when in country; I still don't know. At least someone told you something. All they every told me is "here boy,
take a Patrol to here and see what you can find". Never had the info as to mission or whatever (heeheehee All missions were either Road Clearing, Ambush,
or S&D). Never, I mean never, did they brief us on any Intel. Guess they figured it would scare us off from doing the mission - the F'krs.

As you can see we were a long way from our normal area around Quan Loi/An Loc (our Base Camp Since Nov 29th '67) #4 on map.

Most the info on the MAP was taken from my Battalion's Daily Journal Logs I purchased from National Archives. Some, however, did come from AAR's and Lessons Learned found on "www" sites.

heeheehee, I knew what I did but never knew where the chit I was and when - that's why I purchased the Logs!

Sponsored Links

Old 08 Feb 11, 15:42
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Jim View Post

Jim
Ranger Jim/Ken,

Here's a map of the 1st ID TAOR in 1969. It doesn't specifically give boundries of the TAOR but it it shows the general area, including location of the 1st CAV, 11th CAV, and 25th ID.

I like it because it shows the names given to features of signifigance.

Sidewinder
Old 08 Feb 11, 15:44
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam

Great map Ken, love the testicles on the Song Be lol
Old 08 Feb 11, 20:35
Colonel
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200]
Phenomenal map Ken. Looking at the Song Be River and the location of Bien Hoa, where would War Zone D have been located. Is it on your map or would it have been farther to the east?

Also, hasn't it been reported elsewhere on this forum that the Headquarters of the 1st Division was at Di An? Or am I getting the tactical and logistical headquarters confused?

Forgive the trite questions but with so much information available on here I sometimes find it hard to keep everything straight in my mind.

Cheers,
Dan.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)
Old 08 Feb 11, 23:01
United_States

Yeah! Great Post Sidewinder.

Only thing missing is Bu Dop (far north) and Song Be City also North East
of Quan Loi (next to II Field Force border line).

Old 09 Feb 11, 02:38
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan M View Post
Phenomenal map Ken. Looking at the Song Be River and the location of Bien Hoa, where would War Zone D have been located. Is it on your map or would it have been farther to the east?
War Zone D is east of Phuoc Vinh:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan M View Post
Also, hasn't it been reported elsewhere on this forum that the Headquarters of the 1st Division was at Di An? Or am I getting the tactical and logistical headquarters confused?
Yes, it was at Di An before relocating to Lai Khe sometimes in 1967 (can't remember exactly when, check your Stanton )

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!