StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War > Vietnam War Videos

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War Videos Videos and documentaries about the Wars in Vietnam 1945-1975

Old 18 Feb 11, 08:56
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arrow Watch Battle of Long Tan documentary online

Last edited by Boonierat; 18 Feb 11 at 09:41..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 18 Feb 11, 08:59
Private
Australia

RedDuneFilms is on the path to success [1-99]
Watch Battle of Long Tan documentary online

Hi all,

I am the producer of the award winning and critically acclaimed documentary 'The Battle of Long Tan' narrated by Sam Worthington (Avatar, Terminator Salvation).

I've now put the full version of our documentary online for free and without any registration here on Vimeo.

About the Battle of Long Tan

Late afternoon August 18, 1966 South Vietnam – for three and a half hours, in the pouring rain, amid the mud and shattered trees of a rubber plantation called Long Tan, Major Harry Smith and his dispersed company of 108 young and mostly inexperienced Australian and New Zealand soldiers are fighting for their lives, holding off an overwhelming enemy force of 2,500 battle hardened Viet Cong and North Vietnamese soldiers.

With their ammunition running out, their casualties mounting and the enemy massing for a final assault each man begins to search for his own answer – and the strength to triumph over an uncertain future with honor, decency and courage.

The ensuing Battle of Long Tan becomes one of the most savage and decisive engagements in ANZAC history, earning both the United States and South Vietnamese Presidential Unit Citations for gallantry along with many individual awards. But sadly not before 18 Australians and more than 500 enemy are killed.

Heroism, tragedy and the sacrifice of battle, Long Tan is a grueling and dramatic exploration of war with all its horror, that rightly takes its place alongside other legendary ANZAC battles and campaigns such as Gallipoli, Beersheba, Kokoda, Tobruk, Kapyong, Balmoral, Coral and many others.

I've begun to put up some of the research material I've collected over the past 5 years including real After Action Reports and Commander's Diaries here. I've also put up archival and other media related videos here on YouTube including actual footage from the morning of the battle.

P.S. We are also producing a major movie based on this story.

Cheers,
Martin
Old 18 Feb 11, 09:02
Private
Australia

Thanks Boonierat!

So many pirate sites have it now, so many people have yet to see it and we don't have any plans in place right now for international distribution. So, the next best thing is to put it online myself and make sure people can watch a high quality version and send us feedback as we develop the movie.

I hope people enjoy it!
Old 18 Feb 11, 09:07
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Cheers, and welcome to ACG by the way

Merged both threads and 'stickied' it

Last edited by Boonierat; 18 Feb 11 at 09:10..
Old 18 Feb 11, 23:26
General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Magnificent. I was really moved by that...You fellows did a fantastic job. I really do mean that.

Old 19 Feb 11, 10:22
First Sergeant
United_States

dougreese is on the path to success [1-99] dougreese is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 6 View Post
Magnificent. I was really moved by that...You fellows did a fantastic job. I really do mean that.

Ditto . . . . I watched it last night from about 3am-5am (between feedings

If I ever have a chance, I'd like to go out there someday. It's only a couple hours drive from here.

Doug
Old 24 Feb 11, 07:32
Major General
Viet_Nam
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200]
Hi RedDuneFilms,

Could you please tell whether you've managed to definitively establish the correct PAVN OOB of the battle? Was there a PAVN 45th regiment or not?

Thanks,

Altus
Old 24 Feb 11, 12:20
First Lieutenant
United_States

sgnsteve has demonstrated strength of character [100] sgnsteve has demonstrated strength of character [100] sgnsteve has demonstrated strength of character [100] sgnsteve has demonstrated strength of character [100] sgnsteve has demonstrated strength of character [100] sgnsteve has demonstrated strength of character [100] sgnsteve has demonstrated strength of character [100] sgnsteve has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I could only watch a few minutes of the doco, it takes forever to download here and is damn frustrating. Doug, plan to go on Anzac Day in August, take the Vung Tau hydrofoil the day before. Go to Tommy's 2 bar and go with the Aussie and Kiwi vets on a bus to Long Tan for the dawn service. Then spend the day drinking Bundiberg? Rum, talking with fellow vets and attend the football game at the dog track in Vung Tau. A great not to be missed experience! I'll be there. Steve

dougreese said,"If I ever have a chance, I'd like to go out there someday. It's only a couple hours drive from here".

Doug[/QUOTE]

Last edited by sgnsteve; 24 Feb 11 at 12:45..
Old 24 Feb 11, 12:49
First Lieutenant
United_States

sgnsteve has demonstrated strength of character [100] sgnsteve has demonstrated strength of character [100] sgnsteve has demonstrated strength of character [100] sgnsteve has demonstrated strength of character [100] sgnsteve has demonstrated strength of character [100] sgnsteve has demonstrated strength of character [100] sgnsteve has demonstrated strength of character [100] sgnsteve has demonstrated strength of character [100]
oops, Anzac day 2011 is April 26th!
Old 24 Feb 11, 13:44
First Sergeant
United_States

dougreese is on the path to success [1-99] dougreese is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgnsteve View Post
oops, Anzac day 2011 is April 26th!
Thanks!

Doug . . . . District 11
Sponsored Links

Old 28 Feb 11, 07:17
Private
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by altus View Post
Hi RedDuneFilms,

Could you please tell whether you've managed to definitively establish the correct PAVN OOB of the battle? Was there a PAVN 45th regiment or not?

Thanks,

Altus
Hi Altus,

Yes there was. The units opposing the ANZAC force at the Battle of Long Tan were:
  1. VC 275th Regiment - 1,600 men
  2. VC D445 Provincial Mobile Battalion - 550 men
  3. NVA 45th Regiment - 500 men detached to 275 Regiment

D Coy, 6RAR captured 3 wounded enemy on the battlefield:
  • 1 x enemy captured on the battlefield was from D445
  • 2 x captured enemy were from NVA 45 Regiment.

We have a detailed Facts Sheet available here (550K .PDF)

This 'Long Tan Battle Record' (.PDF 2.2MB) written by Lt. Col. Dick Hannigan who was the Task Force operations officer during the battle is also pretty useful.

I confirmed these details in person with the following Viet Cong Commanders in 2006 when we filmed their interviews in Vung Tau:
  • Former Vice Commander D445 Battalion – Major General Nguyen Minh Ninh
  • Former Commander of Company 3, D445 Battalion – Colonel Phan Thanh Binh
  • Former Commander of Company 2, D445 Battalion – Colonel Nguyen Duc Thu

Further, these details were also previously confirmed by Lex McAulay author of 'The Battle of Long Tan: The Legend Of ANZAC Upheld‘. Sydney 1986: Arrow published by Random House. ISBN 0099525305 and subsequently by Ian McNeill author of 'To Long Tan. The Australian Army and the Vietnam War 1950-1966. The Official History of Australia’s Involvement in Southeast Asian Conflicts 1948-1975.’ Sydney 1993: Allen & Unwin in association with the Australian War Memorial. ISBN 1863732829.

Both of these authors also visited Vietnam and interviewed PAVN survivors of the battle. All of us have had access to previously secret Australian and American intelligence from the period which included captured enemy commander's diaries.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Martin

Last edited by RedDuneFilms; 28 Feb 11 at 07:39..
Old 28 Feb 11, 07:28
Private
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougreese View Post
Ditto . . . . I watched it last night from about 3am-5am (between feedings

If I ever have a chance, I'd like to go out there someday. It's only a couple hours drive from here.

Doug
Hi Doug & others,

As an FYI, Dave Sabben former platoon commander of 12 Platoon, D Coy, 6RAR during the Battle of Long Tan led a tour to Long Tan last year and he is doing another one this year.

I highly recommend visiting Long Tan on ANZAC day as per Steve's suggestion or if you can be there when Dave will be there. Dave was a national service (draft) officer. Dave also wrote a fictional account of the battle (but based on accurate research) called 'Through Enemy Eyes'.

Cheers,
Martin
Old 28 Feb 11, 07:55
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam

Martin, can you tell us a bit about the Beresford movie that's being made? I imagine you can't divulge much at this stage but what's the status on it? has filming started yet?
Old 28 Feb 11, 09:32
Sergeant
Australia
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

pball is on the path to success [1-99]
Sgn Steve, and any others interested in attending dawn services, ANZAC day is the 25th of April.
Old 28 Feb 11, 09:42
First Lieutenant
United_States

Pball, I googled it and the site for Aussie holidays marks it as the 26th. Because I wasn't sure. Hmmm, will call Glenn at Tommy's II bar on Ba Cu street in Vung Tau to see when he has planned for the service. Have been a day late and a dollar short on more than one occasion. Thanks, Steve

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!