HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Weapons of War

Notices and Announcements

Weapons of War The machinery of warfare. .

Old 25 Feb 11, 04:01
General of the Forums
Pirate

KICK is a jewel in the rough [500]
KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500]
in the scheme of things
pistols are a low priority item
( UNLESS YOU ARE A VENDOR TRYING TO SELL A BUTTLOAD OF THEM)

nobody depends on one as a primary weapon
nobody is ever going to fire one 1500 times in combat
and if you are in a situation where its your only line of defense
you are in serious trouble

Last edited by KICK; 25 Feb 11 at 04:04..
Old 25 Feb 11, 04:13
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon SPQR Campaign 

Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800]
Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six 4 View Post
Indeed the reason that the military switched over to something like the M16 and M9 is because of cost, and the guns still being able to kill. As far as heavy use-do you mean shooting off a bunch of rounds each time you go to the range (which could be rather frequently) or is that going to the range a lot? It seems like it'd be the first. Chances are in a military's scenario, if you're using your pistol, then you either ran completely out of ammo for your weapon or you're reloading, in which case you should probably have your buddies cover you with rifle fire (presuming you are just reloading) until you're ready to fire again. If you ran out of ammo, then depending on the scenario, you either need to get some better aim or make sure some sort of assault element is actually doing what it's supposed to do, which is flanking the enemy. Now of course you could run out of ammo simply because you're in a gigantic firefight with tons of enemies and just your team. But don't we make sure everyone is able to request support?

So long story short a pistol probably won't be needed, or much if it is, outside normal range time.

Isn't a 9 mm more accurate than a .45 anyways? Seems like that'd be the reason for qualification.

Lastly, I know what you mean about developing the shot count mentality-happens with airsoft even, when I shoot at some targets.
There are many accurate .45's on the market. As far as I am aware of, ammunition, barrel length, and sight radius play a part and many .45's have good characteristics here. I don't think one could say that one calibre is inherently more accurate than the other.
Old 25 Feb 11, 04:15
General
United_States

Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KICK View Post
in the scheme of things
pistols are a low priority item
( UNLESS YOU ARE A VENDOR TRYING TO SELL A BUTTLOAD OF THEM)

nobody depends on one as a primary weapon
nobody is ever going to fire one 1500 times in combat
and if you are in a situation where its your only line of defense
you are in serious trouble
I was preparing to go someplace that was potentially really bad and was told that we needed to get our pistol quals out of the way. We joked that if it got to the point where we would have to use it, the game was already over.
Old 25 Feb 11, 04:28
General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six 4 View Post
Well the 5.56 round was/is less expensive than the 7.62 round, no? The M16 was lighter, but also carried more ammo per magazine than an M14's 20 round mag.

Well if you're just going to have a pistol are you going to be on the front lines? Seems like if you just have a pistol you'd be some kind of brass that most likely wouldn't be out on a mission, but I could be wrong...

Experience of tactics? Obviously I'm not wearing a uniform but isn't it common knowledge of squad tactics to alternate fire so there is more or less continuous fire on the enemy? Otherwise if there's only one or so squad mates firing while the rest of you reload, that one man, it seems, could be suppressed and the enemy could get closer or in a better flanking position-could pin you down. Oh, and also-isn't it common knowledge about fireteams? Look-my brother's in ROTC and he talks about this stuff...

Yeah you might not be the only one having problems, but my brother's also said that one of the ROTC instructors was in Afghanistan and that for the simplest mission there's a backup plan and coordination and, well, support.

Well given that I've shot more accurately with a .22 pistol than a Colt 1911 (and not shooting either fast, and also I shot them right after the other) I would think that a 9 mm would be more accurate than the .45. Although there's the possibility we couldn't be talking about the same thing-if you had to use your pistol in a situation, and you were shooting 9 mm rounds out in quick succession, say, wouldn't that lower recoil have an effect on accuracy?

I thought of this today, as Root Beer is pretty much like my favorite soda-especially the bottled kind-a pistol's caliber is like root beer. Some come in bottles, some in cans-each person prefers different brews out of the many options because one has a different taste you might like, but the fact is you can pop open any root beer bottle or can and it still works and is effective (at whatever soda's supposed to be effective at.
In my very unexpert opinion, things like grip and stance will have an impact on your accuracy and recoil management. With good fundamentals, recoil management is not dramatically different between weapons unless you're talking about a magnum. It's just my style, but I find that certain M1911's have better recoil characteristics for me than some 9mm's as I find the M1911's heavier with a crisper trigger and sights that are easier to reaquire after the muzzle flips. The narrower, chequered grip is easier for me to get a good clamshell grip with too. I'm sure others may feel the other way around. That's my two cents...I shoot on a regional team, but I'm in no way a gun nut who knows all the technical specs.
Old 25 Feb 11, 10:09
General of the Forums
Pirate
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoka Girl View Post
There are many accurate .45's on the market. As far as I am aware of, ammunition, barrel length, and sight radius play a part and many .45's have good characteristics here. I don't think one could say that one calibre is inherently more accurate than the other.
Quote:
In my very unexpert opinion, things like grip and stance will have an impact on your accuracy and recoil management. With good fundamentals, recoil management is not dramatically different between weapons unless you're talking about a magnum. It's just my style, but I find that certain M1911's have better recoil characteristics for me than some 9mm's as I find the M1911's heavier with a crisper trigger and sights that are easier to reaquire after the muzzle flips. The narrower, chequered grip is easier for me to get a good clamshell grip with too. I'm sure others may feel the other way around. That's my two cents...I shoot on a regional team, but I'm in no way a gun nut who knows all the technical specs.
Thanks for the information!

Old 26 Feb 11, 11:05
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
I completely agree. I would have once claimed that the old fashioned slim barrelled .38 cal revolver was the most most accurate weapon and round out there until I got to know people who could both shoot well with anything and tweek and customize nearly any handgun to be very accurate.
during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
Old 26 Feb 11, 21:31
General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberknight View Post
I completely agree. I would have once claimed that the old fashioned slim barrelled .38 cal revolver was the most most accurate weapon and round out there until I got to know people who could both shoot well with anything and tweek and customize nearly any handgun to be very accurate.
My uncle has a S&W .38 that I shoot from time to time and with wadcutter I can usually shoot an excellent bullseye. I dislike the long, double action pull though. I've gotten pretty good with a speed loader and a 2x2 pouch for reloads and I've seen some people reload just as fast with a revolver as with a semi-auto.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!