HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Forum Resources > Armchair Attacks! > Citizens Coliseum

Notices and Announcements

Citizens Coliseum Community Generated Tournaments

View Poll Results: Who would win?
Tempest 17 50.00%
P-51 17 50.00%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09 Feb 11, 21:55
Major
New_Zealand

Comrade|Ogilvy is on the path to success [1-99] Comrade|Ogilvy is on the path to success [1-99] Comrade|Ogilvy is on the path to success [1-99] Comrade|Ogilvy is on the path to success [1-99] Comrade|Ogilvy is on the path to success [1-99] Comrade|Ogilvy is on the path to success [1-99]
Come on guys- the tempest has the p-51 beat across the board.... and it looks way cooler.
Old 09 Feb 11, 23:44
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Summer Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Talking

Also keep in mind the superiority of the P-51 does not need lengthy explanation.

Pruitt

Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?
Old 10 Feb 11, 00:02
General of the Forums
Pirate
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade|Ogilvy View Post
and it looks way cooler.

Yes yes clearly the Tempest's double chin makes it look superior.

By the way I met Bud Anderson and got his autograph at the 2009 Reno Air Races! Old Crow was his P-51, and he was an ace.
Old 10 Feb 11, 01:38
ACG Forums - Air Marshal
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six 4 View Post
Most Tempests looks like a Tiffy (Typhoon). I think the dude is thinking of this.

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Calling Nazis ratzis is an insult to rats around the world.
Old 10 Feb 11, 03:24
General
Pirate
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dashy is simply cracking [600]
Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600]
Neck, and Neck!

And purely personal thinking here, but the Tempest looks much more badass than the P-51, no matter the make.

And yes, the P-51 was a far better fighter, but an inferior dogfighter.

Think of it this way, if we had a Best Phalanx Weapon Contest, the Spear would win because the Spear is, quite simply, the best weapon one can have marching a few ranks deep, but that dosen't mean its the best Melee weapon, that probably goes to the sword, which is a differnt matter entirely.

Last edited by Dashy; 10 Feb 11 at 03:28..
Old 10 Feb 11, 08:21
Colonel
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100]
It's a tie!

With 17 votes a piece, it gives me the honour to award 1st Place in this tournament to:

The North American P-51 Mustang!

AND:

The Hawker Tempest!
I would like to sincerely thank everyone who participated in this tournament; it has very enjoyable for me to run. I hope you enjoyed it too.

Personal Blog
Old 10 Feb 11, 11:37
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900]
Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900]
Thumbs up

Great stuff, really enjoyed the friendly banter.... but we want a colour piccy too!!!

Hawker-Tempest-MkV-NV696-01.jpg
Old 10 Feb 11, 12:24
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Great competition, and I'm glad you chose to keep it a tie, SH. These are two truly excellent aircraft. I voted for the 'Stang, but I would be much more likely to take the Tempest out for a spin in a flight sim!

BTW, will we be receiving a ribbon for this?

"People like Obama are in charge because Civilization is dying... they are nothing but the harbingers of death." ---The Exorcist
Old 10 Feb 11, 13:26
Colonel
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) SPQR Campaign 

Alexander is on a distinguished road [300] Alexander is on a distinguished road [300] Alexander is on a distinguished road [300] Alexander is on a distinguished road [300] Alexander is on a distinguished road [300] Alexander is on a distinguished road [300] Alexander is on a distinguished road [300] Alexander is on a distinguished road [300] Alexander is on a distinguished road [300] Alexander is on a distinguished road [300] Alexander is on a distinguished road [300] Alexander is on a distinguished road [300] Alexander is on a distinguished road [300]
Good hard fight, I too am glad you chose to make it a tie in the end SilentHunter. I voted for the Tempest but both planes were great fighters...still think the Tempest would've had an edge in a dogfight, but it's a bit irrelevant now, isn't it?

Only wish I would've jumped into this competition earlier.

Alex
Old 10 Feb 11, 13:46
Colonel
UK

Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer86g View Post
Don't know. You'd have to ask Admiral and the Staff.

I would like one. You all deserve it.

Personal Blog
Sponsored Links

Old 10 Feb 11, 13:46
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

SeaDog48 is on the path to success [1-99] SeaDog48 is on the path to success [1-99] SeaDog48 is on the path to success [1-99] SeaDog48 is on the path to success [1-99] SeaDog48 is on the path to success [1-99]
Thanx for the fun! Appreciate it.
Old 10 Feb 11, 13:48
ACG Forums - Air Marshal
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer86g View Post

Only if he buys and sends you one. This was, while fun, not an official ACG sponsored tournament.

Old 10 Feb 11, 13:49
Colonel
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
Only if he buys and sends you one. This was, while fun, not an official ACG sponsored tournament.
Oh well...

Personal Blog
Old 10 Feb 11, 13:52
ACG Forums - Air Marshal
South_Vietnam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Hunter View Post
Don't know. You'd have to ask Admiral and the Staff.

I would like one. You all deserve it.
You can ask Wes, but don't hold your breath. I think the powers that be hold ribbons for ACG sponsored campaigns/tournaments and special achievements. Ask yourself this: Would you like to see everybody with a fruitsalad on their chests from every campaign esp. knowing a lot are being run just to get a ribbon?

Old 10 Feb 11, 13:54
ACG Forums - Air Marshal
South_Vietnam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Hunter View Post
Oh well...
Don't forget; on the totem pole of powers that be . . I am the hole in the ground. What I said was personal opinion; I was not wearing my staff hat.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!