StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Civil War

Notices and Announcements

American Civil War The American Civil War.

Old 05 Feb 11, 13:19
General of the Forums
Luxembourg
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

General Brock has disabled reputation
Atlanta 1864 Cleburnes regiment

Bull Run 1st Manassas 1861

Old 05 Feb 11, 13:32
Brigadier General
Spain
5 Year Service Ribbon 

von Junzt has a spectacular aura about [400]
von Junzt has a spectacular aura about [400] von Junzt has a spectacular aura about [400] von Junzt has a spectacular aura about [400] von Junzt has a spectacular aura about [400] von Junzt has a spectacular aura about [400] von Junzt has a spectacular aura about [400]
Seven Days Battles

Old 05 Feb 11, 13:34
Brigadier General
Spain
5 Year Service Ribbon 

von Junzt has a spectacular aura about [400] von Junzt has a spectacular aura about [400] von Junzt has a spectacular aura about [400] von Junzt has a spectacular aura about [400] von Junzt has a spectacular aura about [400] von Junzt has a spectacular aura about [400]
Here come the rebels!

Old 05 Feb 11, 13:35
Brigadier General
Spain
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Southern Cross - Don Troianni (my own scan)

Old 05 Feb 11, 13:40
General of the Forums
Luxembourg

I new you could not resist the temptation for long.
Old 05 Feb 11, 13:53
Brigadier General
Spain
5 Year Service Ribbon 

I am sick as a dog and can't go out, so I am posting like crazy

It's just my ready use ammunition. A couple box art pictures I had stored in image shack. I am reorganizing my collections and storing all of them in a single Picasa gallery.

The last one

Grant takes command

The Devil's Dictionary, Ambrose Bierce

http://guerraenucrania.wordpress.com/

http://pinturasdeguerra.tumblr.com/

http://pinturasdeguerra-mar.tumblr.com/
Old 05 Feb 11, 18:02
General
Brazil
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Saving the flag by Don Troiani

During the Battle of Gettysburg, Colonel Harrison H. Jeffords of the 4th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment thrust his drawn sword into a confederate soldier, regaining the symbolic regimental flag at Gettysburg's wheatfield.

While Colonel Jeffords was back in Michigan on a recruiting trip, the ladies of Monroe, Michigan, presented him with a new national flag to replace the regiment's original flag, which had been badly damaged in recent battles. Jeffords stated that he would defend the flag with his life.

During the second day at Gettysburg, the color-bearer of the regiment dropped this flag, and Jeffords advanced to retrieve it. He is said to have shot a confederate soldier who had seized the flag and grasped the banner himself. In the ensuing melee, Jeffords received a gun shot wound to the thigh and was bayonetted by a Confederate soldier in the left abdomen, mortally wounding the 28-year-old officer.

Meanwhile, other soldiers of the 4th Michigan, including Lt. Michael Vreeland, rushed to his aid and reportedly carried both the flag and their fallen commander out of the Wheatfield. As his life slowly drained away, his final words were said to be "Mother, mother, mother." He died at 4 AM the next day, July 3, 1863. Jeffords became the highest commissioned officer in the Civil War to die of a bayonet wound.

His body was sent home to Dexter, Michigan, after the battle, where approximately 2000 people attended the funeral of its beloved hero. He is buried at Forest Lawn Cemetery in Dexter.

Colonel Jeffords

Old 05 Feb 11, 20:39
General of the Forums
Luxembourg

Fredericksburg 114th New York Regiment

Fort Fisher

Old 05 Feb 11, 20:59
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500]
Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Brock View Post
1. Chancellorsville 2nd Pennsylvania cavalry
2. Battle of Shiloh
That's the 8th Pennsylvania Cavalry's charge at Chancellorsville, not the 2nd. That image was on the dust jacket of one of my books.

Maj. Gen. James Ewell Brown Stuart
Old 05 Feb 11, 21:13
General of the Forums
Luxembourg

Correction - 8th Pennsylvania Cavalry's charge at Chancellorsville

Thanks Eric, The site Had it wrong good eye and I certainly didn't know.
Looking closer it looks like an 8 in the flag itself.
Sponsored Links

Old 05 Feb 11, 22:31
General
Brazil
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 

Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Wittenberg View Post
That's the 8th Pennsylvania Cavalry's charge at Chancellorsville, not the 2nd. That image was on the dust jacket of one of my books.
Eric,

Can you tell us more about that cavalry charge?
Old 05 Feb 11, 22:40
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500]
Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500]
I've been out of the sling too long today, so I can't type very much. It's often (but incorrectly) called Keenan's Charge, for Maj. Peter Keenan of the 8th PA Cavalry, who was KIA during the charge. Maj. Pennock Huey of the 8th PA Cavalry actually led the charge. This is a small book written by Huey after the war that explains why Keenan should not be credited for leading the charge. It does give a good account of the charge.

http://books.google.com/books?id=W9A...page&q&f=false

It's a whole chapter in my book The Union Cavalry Comes of Age: Hartwood Church to Brandy Station, 1863.

Maj. Gen. James Ewell Brown Stuart

Last edited by Eric Wittenberg; 05 Feb 11 at 22:43..
Old 05 Feb 11, 23:30
General
Brazil

Thanks, Eric.

Read the book online or download it: http://www.archive.org/details/truehistoryofcha00huey
Old 05 Feb 11, 23:46
General of the Forums
Luxembourg

Chickamauga 1st Rifles of Arkansas

Last edited by General Brock; 23 Jan 14 at 23:30..
Old 05 Feb 11, 23:51
Banned
Korea

RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500]
Drum Corps,
93rd New York Infantry
Photographer: Timothy O'Sullivan
(Library of Congress)

Company E, 4th US Colored Infantry at Fort Lincoln

Last edited by RavenClaws; 05 Feb 11 at 23:53..

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!