HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > Europe

Notices and Announcements

Europe Issues of modern Europe. .

Old 14 Jan 11, 19:17
General of the Forums
Russia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint John View Post
So now we are back to the Polish-Lith Empire which Poland was a jr partner.
Jr Partner? Tell me more. But I like the blame shifting maneuver, though. If I follow this logic then Russia has nothing to do with Soviet crimes, as Stalin was Georgian and the RSFSR was but one of the 15 equal republics. That's 1 to 15 ratio vs 1 to 1

Quote:
Wasn't Kiev part of Lit at one time? Ukraine and Belarus were , until lately part of the USSR. Did they have something against being part of Russia? Why are they now free as are the Baltic States. Seems that many people don't have the same pov as you on the bevolence of Russia.
Kiev was part of a Tausendjariche Reich once, so what? I'm not speaking of benevolence, I'm speaking of the Polish aggression in terms in legality and international relations.

Quote:
Churchill was a realist. He despised Stalin/USSR as few people in the west did, hardly a friend. He only excepted those borders because he had little other chose. For get not that it was he who coined the phrase "Iron Curtain".
Britain approved of this border in 1920 and considered it historically appropriate, urging Lenin to accept it. He lost the gamble, but why should Britain have changed its mind on the historical sovereignty over these lands afterwards?

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour
Old 14 Jan 11, 19:48
ACG Forums - General Staff
UK
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShAA View Post
Jr Partner? Tell me more. But I like the blame shifting maneuver, though. If I follow this logic then Russia has nothing to do with Soviet crimes, as Stalin was Georgian and the RSFSR was but one of the 15 equal republics. That's 1 to 15 ratio vs 1 to 1

Kiev was part of a Tausendjariche Reich once, so what? I'm not speaking of benevolence, I'm speaking of the Polish aggression in terms in legality and international relations.

Britain approved of this border in 1920 and considered it historically appropriate, urging Lenin to accept it. He lost the gamble, but why should Britain have changed its mind on the historical sovereignty over these lands afterwards?
Gents, this thread for discussing the EU (Or giving it a good verbal kicking... ), not for a Bun fight between Russia and Poland.

Perhaps start another thread either here or Russia forum?

Thanks.

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.
Old 14 Jan 11, 19:55
General of the Forums
Russia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Ok I quit this. It's been discussed here a thousand times anyway.

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour
Old 14 Jan 11, 20:18
General of the Forums - Donut Dolly
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The same reason that many of us in the US don't like the government in Washington. Too much power too far away.

It often seems like, rather than respect our diversity they instead are trying to impose homogeneity and Political correctness from the center.

I think You have the same situation with Brussels. Worse probably.

Last edited by Miss Saigon; 14 Jan 11 at 23:35..
Old 14 Jan 11, 21:36
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Andy H is simply cracking [600]
Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600]
The EU needs some urgent reforms that is without question and especially the Parliment.

Not everyone dislikes the EU, though many certainly dislike some parts more than others.

From a purely financial viewpoint if the UK left the EU, it would cause economic ruin beyond compare in this country and the accompanying social unrest of mass unemployment and surging prices in almost all items.

Regards
http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/index.php
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/
Old 14 Jan 11, 21:51
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShAA View Post
Ok I quit this. It's been discussed here a thousand times anyway.

If God wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates.*

NO one wins a war!!!! They just lose less.
Old 14 Jan 11, 23:27
UK
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
From a purely financial viewpoint if the UK left the EU, it would cause economic ruin beyond compare in this country and the accompanying social unrest of mass unemployment and surging prices in almost all items.
This I have to question. As a nation we consume allot of stuff, possibly more than we export. So if the EU was feeling vindictive it could cut us off at the knees, but that would have an effect on the EU's exporters.

It would also scupper any chance of us going back, as no one in the country would ever support the EU again.

Most people I know only have a problem with the EU bureaucracy/government, and are quite partial to the EFTA, and free movement of people.

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.
Old 15 Jan 11, 04:47
Private First Class
Poland

teflsecretagent is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint John View Post
What?

What has Russia ever done for Poland? While Poland has suffer much over it's long history the Russians have been just as bad, perhaps worse than the Prussians in their treatment of Poland. Germany has at least given up on any claims to what is now Poland. The same cannot be said of Russia. Oh and we should not for get that other innocent victim of European history Austria.
I'm not sure Germans have given up claims on Poland. There's a German minority here in Poland which campaigns for 'closer integration' with Germany, even Bi-lingual signage in some areas. I live in Wrocław which used to be a German city, In fact the house I live in used to be owned by a German family until they were forcefully relocated. Many of my older Polish nieghbours said for many years that they feared the territory they live in will be handed back to Germany.

I'm not sure this fear has totally disappeared.
Old 15 Jan 11, 05:02
General of the Forums
EU
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Full Monty has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emtos View Post
I too has a question : why English dodn't like EU ?
It's because the EU doesn't speak English.
Old 15 Jan 11, 05:05
General
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500]
DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500]
"These guys are appointed by the whims of the individual member states' governments, "

And thats the problem. If I am going to be governed then I want a say in who does the governing. I am not happy to settle for who ever has (expletive deleted) up so much that a British Prime Minister farms him off to Brussels for a couple of years till he thinks hes been forgotten and can be brought back.

The EU began and suprisingly worked when it was purely trade related. The moment poiticians got involved they (expletetive deleted ) it up.

Old 15 Jan 11, 05:06
General
EU
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400] Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400] Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400] Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400] Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400] Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400] Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400] Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400] Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400] Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400] Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400] Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400] Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400] Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400] Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listy View Post

It would also scupper any chance of us going back, as no one in the country would ever support the EU again.

Actually EU was created without UK, and stalled since its adhesion. Go out, the sooner, the better
Old 15 Jan 11, 05:16
Brigadier General
Poland
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by teflsecretagent View Post
I'm not sure Germans have given up claims on Poland. There's a German minority here in Poland which campaigns for 'closer integration' with Germany, even Bi-lingual signage in some areas. I live in Wrocław which used to be a German city, In fact the house I live in used to be owned by a German family until they were forcefully relocated. Many of my older Polish nieghbours said for many years that they feared the territory they live in will be handed back to Germany.

I'm not sure this fear has totally disappeared.
They did in 1990, It was one of the things Germany had to do before they were allowed to be united and Alied ocupation formaly ended. The ireguated property rights on reconquered lands are fault of commie regime from 1945 and Polish democratic politicians since 1989, We can't blame Germans for this like we can't blame HRE for Piast princeps for allowing German colonists in since XIIIc. But back to topic before mods we'll got angry for dereiling the thread. I personaly stoped to worry and learned to love the EU, it's not as great as pre accesion propagand promised but not as monstrous as UPR warned. If not EU with all it's red tape and micromanagment than what? Russia or reborn Habsburg Empire? EU needs constitution draft who can be undertood by literate public and not riged European referundum to legitimise it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German%...r_Treaty_(1990)
Old 15 Jan 11, 05:45
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metryll View Post
Actually EU was created without UK, and stalled since its adhesion. Go out, the sooner, the better
I was talking about us returning to the fold in later years after we left.

But Lets see, You are happy for us to withdraw, We want to withdraw, however the EU parliament disagrees with us. There's nothing that you or I can do, and that's one of the issues we have with the system.

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.
Old 15 Jan 11, 06:10
Lieutenant General
Wales

Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600]
Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metryll View Post
Yeah, it's all our fault the whole thing is a corrupt, inefficient, dictatorial, bureacratic pile of sh*te. If we weren't in it .. it would run like a smoothly oiled machine with all that French and German efficiency at the helm.

You mean like the Euro? You know that smoothly oiled common currency with all that French and German efficiency at the helm, that the UK isn't even in! Yep, that's a real good example of the EU at its finest, a shining beacon of just how well the continentals can run things
Old 15 Jan 11, 07:11
General
EU
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400] Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400] Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400] Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400] Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400] Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400] Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400] Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400] Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400] Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400] Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400] Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400] Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400] Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400] Metryll has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listy View Post
I was talking about us returning to the fold in later years after we left.

But Lets see, You are happy for us to withdraw, We want to withdraw, however the EU parliament disagrees with us. There's nothing that you or I can do, and that's one of the issues we have with the system.
How EU prevent you to withdrawn ? Make a referedum, win it and we'll both follow our path as we wish.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!