StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War II > Personalities

Notices and Announcements

Personalities From the leaders to the followers; this is about the people who made history.

Old 09 Jan 11, 15:56
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500]
Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500]
RIP Major Dick Winters

We've lost another hero of the Greatest Generation.

Maj. Dick Winters, who should have been awarded a Medal of Honor for his valor on D-Day has died after a long illness:

http://www.majordickwinters.com/phpB...p?f=113&t=4612

A few years ago, I sent Major Winters a letter and asked him if I sent my copy of Band of Brothers along with a self-addressed, stamped envelope to return it to me, would he sign it for me. About two weeks later, I got a return letter saying, sure, send it on. So I did. And now my copy of BoB features his signature, along with the sentiment "Hang tough". It was signed by Lt. Carwood Lipton a few weeks before he died, and Lt. Lynn "Buck" Compton has also signed it for me. It's one of my most treasured possessions.

RIP, Dick Winters. You've earned your rewards.

Maj. Gen. James Ewell Brown Stuart
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 09 Jan 11, 16:49
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Rest in peace Major. YOU ARE MISSED!!!!!!!!!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!
Old 09 Jan 11, 17:38
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400]
R.I.P., Major.

According to Wikipedia, a proposition was introduced to finally award Major Winters the Medal of Honor. Now it appears it will have to be awarded posthumously. I earnestly hope he gets it.

-Matt

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!
Old 09 Jan 11, 17:51
General of the Forums
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
R.I.P Major Winters.
Old 09 Jan 11, 18:22
Major General
Poland
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300]
Rip.
Old 09 Jan 11, 19:27
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300]
A Soldier's Prayer

God of our Father, who by land and sea has ever

Led us on to victory, please continue your inspiring

Guidance in this greatest of our conflicts.

Strengthen my soul so that the weakening instinct of

Self preservation, which besets all of us in battle,

Shall not blind me to my duty to my own manhood, to the

Glory of my calling, and to my responsibility to my

Fellow soldiers.

Grant to our Armed Forces that disciplined valor and

Mutual confidence which insures success in war.

Let me not mourn for the men who have died fighting,

But rather let me be glad that such heroes have lived.

If it be my lot to die, let me do so with courage and honor

In a manner which will bring the greatest harm to the

Enemy, and please, oh Lord, protect and guide those I

Shall leave behind.

Give us victory, Lord.

I believe General Patton wrote this and I thought I would post it
RIP SIR
Old 09 Jan 11, 20:52
Captain
United_States

Joe Meek is on the path to success [1-99] Joe Meek is on the path to success [1-99] Joe Meek is on the path to success [1-99] Joe Meek is on the path to success [1-99] Joe Meek is on the path to success [1-99] Joe Meek is on the path to success [1-99] Joe Meek is on the path to success [1-99]
Article on Major Winters death

Joe Meek
Stalin at the Tehran Conference "without the miracle of American production the war would have been lost." Maurice Matloff, SPFCW pg 367 "Without American production the United Nations could never have won the war." TIME 12/13/1943
Old 09 Jan 11, 21:11
ACG Forums - General Staff
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
From the various TV snippets and interviews he seemed a humble guy with a measured tone and a simple creed, both towards his personnel deeds and that of those that served under him.

This generation of heroes around the world, are hearing the call of the Last Post. It is inherent on us that remain, that there passing into the silence of the night, isn't reflected by there passing into the silence of history.

We must strive through Forums such as this to educate & remember those events & people for future generations.

Regards & Respect

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower
Old 09 Jan 11, 23:13
General of the Forums
Singapore

Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600]
Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600]
Dick Winters, of 'Band of Brothers' fame, dies

Rest in Peace.

Quote:
Dick Winters, the former World War II commander whose war story was told in the book and miniseries “Band of Brothers,” has died.

Dick Winters led a quiet life on his Fredericksburg farm and in his Hershey home until the book and miniseries “Band of Brothers” threw him into the international spotlight.
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...of_brothe.html
Old 10 Jan 11, 00:03
ACG Forums - Air Marshall
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Going to merge this thread with the other one on Major Winters.

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Calling Nazis ratzis is an insult to rats around the world.
Sponsored Links

Old 10 Jan 11, 02:28
General of the Forums
Singapore

Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600]
Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600]
Thanks. Once again, I failed to notice that there's another thread on the topic already. My apologies.
Old 10 Jan 11, 03:20
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
My deepest condolences.

Major Winters stood for all that made our Liberators great: Courage, Humanity, Leadership to name only a few.
I can say he was a role model for me and likely for many others and expect that his funeral will be a major event with thousands turning up to pay their respects to a WWII icon.

RIP Sir

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 10 Jan 11, 07:42
General of the Forums
Pirate

KICK is a jewel in the rough [500]
KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500]
RIP Mr Winters
Old 10 Jan 11, 08:45
General of the Forums
England

Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Thumbs up

The Airborne Prayer….

May the defence of the Most High be above us and beneath,

around and within us

in our going out and our coming in. In our rising up and going down

all our days and all our nights.

until the dawn when the son of righteousness

shall arise

with healing in his wings for the peoples of the World

through Jesus Christ our Lord

Amen
And athwart the seas
Hath passed the light of noble deeds
Unquenchable forever.
Old 10 Jan 11, 08:53
General
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Robbie Lynne is simply cracking [600]
Robbie Lynne is simply cracking [600] Robbie Lynne is simply cracking [600] Robbie Lynne is simply cracking [600] Robbie Lynne is simply cracking [600] Robbie Lynne is simply cracking [600] Robbie Lynne is simply cracking [600] Robbie Lynne is simply cracking [600] Robbie Lynne is simply cracking [600] Robbie Lynne is simply cracking [600] Robbie Lynne is simply cracking [600] Robbie Lynne is simply cracking [600] Robbie Lynne is simply cracking [600]
RIP and Godspeed

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!