StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Board & Tabletop Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Board & Tabletop Gaming Board games, miniatures, and other similar games and topics.

Old 17 Jan 11, 21:48
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
SPQR Campaign 

Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayonetBrant View Post
Torien - you might want to give LNLP's Tank on Tank a whirl. It's a fantastic little basic wargame, with very simple rules. Only downside is that it's more expensive than it needs to be for the as lightweight as it is.

My son is 7 1/2 and he can play this one. By "play" I mean that he can mechanically execute properly as described in the rules. His tactics need some polishing, but hey - he's not yet 8, so he's got time
Thanks for the suggestion. I've been a gamer all of my life. Also have 2 brothers that gamed and about a dozen friends within a block of my house that played also. (Back in the 80's).

But I could never get any of them to play anything that used a chit. We had every MB Gamemaster Series game (A & A was only the most famous). We played Shogun, Conquest of the Empire (Rome), Broadsides & Boarding Parties, and Fortress America.

We also played a lot of Risk, Stratego, and a WWII Midway game. Add in some D&D and we really started to get serious. Started to create our own games, combining parts and boards from many of these games. (Stratego is much more fun played as a 4 player game with three combined sets...)

And then the ultimate:

We graphed our Risk board to a 1/4". And created a WWIII game focusing on submarine combat (boomers and attack). Then we turned 16 and the world got bigger (cars!). Oh well.
Old 17 Jan 11, 22:54
Captain
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I'm working on an adaptation of Tank on Tank using the A&A minis/maps. I'm hoping to give it a whirl one day when I have some space to work with
Old 18 Jan 11, 23:09
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400]
MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400] MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400]
I have an ambitious idea for the Battletech CCG that will hopefully come to fruition one day.

@ Torien: I always knew I liked you...CONQUEST OF THE EMPIRE!!!!!!!!! HOKEY SMOKES THAT'S AWESOME!!!! I used to play that with my cousins. It was a bummer in the end, because all you needed to do was corner the market on catapults, then it was game over for everyone else.

"Castles Made Of Sand"-Jimi Hendrix from Axis:Bold As Love 1967
Old 18 Jan 11, 23:15
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
SPQR Campaign 

Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalDog View Post
I have an ambitious idea for the Battletech CCG that will hopefully come to fruition one day.

@ Torien: I always knew I liked you...CONQUEST OF THE EMPIRE!!!!!!!!! HOKEY SMOKES THAT'S AWESOME!!!! I used to play that with my cousins. It was a bummer in the end, because all you needed to do was corner the market on catapults, then it was game over for everyone else.
We realized the balance problem with catapults right away. Played the game without them.

But then the economy became a problem. Without the expensive cats, you receive too many talents. So we created a banking system with paper notes (100 Talents each) and the game took on a fiscal bent.

You could win by forcing inflation upon the others. (Remember the inflation thresh-holds? you could buy at the old prices when you passed the mark, but everyone else had to pay the new inflated prices?)
Old 18 Jan 11, 23:27
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400] MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400]
Dude, you're killing me :-( We should have been neighbors growing up. The only game I could get my friends to play was RISK. I had Tactics II and Panzer Leader, Greyhawk Wars and a couple of "faux" wargames I can't remember the names of right now.

Sponsored Links

Old 18 Jan 11, 23:39
General of the Forums
United_States
SPQR Campaign 

Quote:
Dude, you're killing me :-( We should have been neighbors growing up. The only game I could get my friends to play was RISK. I had Tactics II and Panzer Leader, Greyhawk Wars and a couple of "faux" wargames I can't remember the names of right now.
Indeed, ACG seems to be a gathering place for many gamers who should have met when we were younger.

Of course, with all of that pent up Megalomania, what would have happened?
Old 18 Jan 11, 23:49
Brigadier General
United_States

I'll admit, I was a sore loser AND a sore winner. I'm better now, but I still can't stand a) people that play and don't try and b) having my a$$ handed to me. You and I need to find a game to play online.

Old 18 Jan 11, 23:53
General of the Forums
United_States
SPQR Campaign 

Quote:
I'll admit, I was a sore loser AND a sore winner. I'm better now, but I still can't stand a) people that play and don't try and b) having my a$$ handed to me. You and I need to find a game to play online.
Agreed. But another night. I've already had too much vino for this one...
Old 19 Jan 11, 06:37
Brigadier General
United_States

I didn't mean right this second. What do you play? I play Hearts Of Iron II Doomsday or HOI3, Civ IV Complete, Age of Empires III and Atari's Axis & Allies. I own a few more games that might be MP, but nothing that I have installed or familiar with.

Old 05 Feb 15, 17:03
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Gorque gives and gets respect [800]
Gorque gives and gets respect [800] Gorque gives and gets respect [800] Gorque gives and gets respect [800] Gorque gives and gets respect [800] Gorque gives and gets respect [800] Gorque gives and gets respect [800] Gorque gives and gets respect [800] Gorque gives and gets respect [800] Gorque gives and gets respect [800] Gorque gives and gets respect [800] Gorque gives and gets respect [800] Gorque gives and gets respect [800] Gorque gives and gets respect [800] Gorque gives and gets respect [800] Gorque gives and gets respect [800]
I feel like Lodestar, reanimating a dead thread.

I'm returning to playing board games again after having enjoyed Settlers of Catan with my family over the holidays. I've just purchased Power Grid and Agricola after having read some commendable reviews.
Old 08 Feb 15, 10:58
Private
United_States

Cap'n Darwin is on the path to success [1-99]
Many, many family games played at our abode:

Ticket to Ride, Dominion, Smashup, King of Tokyo, Hey that's my fish, Catan, Shadows over Camelot, Toboggans of Doom, Incan Gold, Tiki Mountain, and many other still waiting to be played.
Old 07 May 15, 19:40
Colonel
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100] ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100] ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100] ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100] ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100] ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100] ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100] ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100] ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100] ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100]
its all about PANDEMIC with me gamieing group at the mo
Old 07 May 15, 21:14
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
Non-wargames? Pogo. I play Risk there too. I use my cousin's account cause I am not there enough to justify an account.
Old 07 May 15, 21:51
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Wiz War. Because there's nothing like locking a blind idiot in a closet...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiz-War

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Old 16 Apr 17, 06:40
Private
Canada

crimhead is a balanced individual [0]
I'm not really a "war gamer". I've played some of those games, and I like them but they are not my favourites. Also I don't have a lot of opponents for those games. Closest I might come would be TSR's Red Storm Rising.

My favourite board games (alphabetically):
  • A Game Of Thrones
  • Axis & Allies
  • Britannia
  • Diplomacy
  • Titan
  • Star Trek Ascendancy
  • Supremacy 2020

I do like Risk 2210. I have the prototype play-test expansions Avalon Hill put out through the Frontline program. I also have GenCon promo Command Cards. I might run a tournament for Hal-Con this year.

Quote:
I never played the old GM edition, though I heard the catapults were over-powered.

Several years ago I bought the Eagle Games reprint. The new edition seemed to play very well, and there was a rules change made for the catapults. It also included a completely different (less hostile, I think) set of rules using the same components, so it's essentially two games in one.

Very nice production value too!

I only actually played once, though.
Not that it wasn't fun - just that I don't get nearly enough chances for playing long elimination empire building games (and I have other favourites).

Consequently, CotE has been on the back-burner. Also Age Of Conan I have also only played once; and I didn't even buy Magnifico.
Retirement can't come soon enough.

Last edited by crimhead; 16 Apr 17 at 07:04..
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!