StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Board & Tabletop Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Board & Tabletop Gaming Board games, miniatures, and other similar games and topics.

Old 08 Jan 11, 11:11
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States

Son_of_Montfort is on the path to success [1-99] Son_of_Montfort is on the path to success [1-99] Son_of_Montfort is on the path to success [1-99] Son_of_Montfort is on the path to success [1-99]
What Non-Wargames do you Play?

I started this line of thought in a thread Brant posted about Common Ground wargames and I deemed it best to start my own thread about it to not derail his thread.

1. What I wan to know is, are you are hex-loving wargamer (or at least play something like LnL, ASL, or the older Avalon Hill titles)? If you are, please say so. If not, that's fine too - I'm not - but let me know that too.

2. What non-wargames do you enjoy? Or perhaps what non-traditional wargames do you enjoy? Now I don't mean that a "non-wargame" doesn't contain any war - what I mean is that it is not a hex-n-chit style game about a certain conflict or campaign. So things like Sid Meier's Civilization fall into this category, even war is a part of the game. I would also take non-traditional or minis games which simulate tactical combat on a small map - stuff like Warhammer 40K, etc. Tabletop roleplaying is good too - like D&D, or Rogue Trader.

I've been thinking about this a bit, and I want to know what kinds of gamers are here on the ACG forum and what kind of games to wargamers enjoy outside of their wargame genre.

So let me get the ball rolling. First, I am not a wargamer in the traditional sense (I have no one who will play them with me). I do consider myself a "hardcore" gamer, because I don't mind complex rulesets and I play things more complicated that Settlers of Catan or Carcassone.

My favorite game is Twilight Imperium, 3rd Edition, which I guess could be considered a wargame (in the same way Axis & Allies is a wargame), but it is the most war heavy game I play (and probably the heaviest game I play). At the moment this is vying for top spot with the new Civilizations.

Other games I enjoy are Agricola, Le Havre, and Carson City - which I consider "production chain" economic sims. My love of these games started with Settlers of Catan, which I don't play much anymore because I feel it is too random and too simplistic (I play it on my iPhone, though).

I also love "adventure" or "story games," sometimes with a co-op element - stuff like DungeonQuest, Betrayal at House on the Hill, and Defenders of the Realm. Ghost Stories is also a favorite co-op of mine.

Lastly, I'm a very big fan of the light tactical sim - like the zombie killing Last Night on Earth, but I don't have the money or time to play harder stuff like Warhammer 40K (despite loving the universe, setting, and characters).

So what games do you all play? What types of games are you interested in hearing, discussing, and reading about?
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 08 Jan 11, 11:53
General of the Forums
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
Wargamer by definition.

Grog as well to some extent.

Willing to play almost anything fun.

In fact, although not totally by choice, I likely have a great deal more time used on non wargames.

Granted, if I was rich, I likely would pay people to play ASL

Love to play Civ.
Wish board gaming had some form of Heroes of Might and Magic equal.

I really like the more recent incarnations of the Risk design. 2210 is soooo much better than the original and I like Lord of the Rings Risk too.

Big fan of rolegaming, currently a devotee of 4th edition, but I also like other designs. 1st edition Warhammer FRP and Alternity being high on my list.

I don't get to play many 'parlour' type social games. I have a game we once bought to get dad involved as it was a train game called Empire Builder.

The thing with wargames as well as any games, is you need to score the bodies to play them. I rarely succeed with other than adult role gamers.
Old 08 Jan 11, 12:20
Lieutenant General
United_States
Distinguished Service Award Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200]
"Play" and "Want to play" are two different things. I don't do much boardgaming these days, although it's getting better.

Non-wargames I'd like to play?

Fury of Dracula, Space Hulk, Monsters Menace America, Wings of War (WWI), Warhamer & Warhammer 40K minis (I know they're not boardgames, but they are tabletop).

I could go on. I have tons of games and could go on, but that's a good start.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.
Old 08 Jan 11, 15:45
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States

Son_of_Montfort is on the path to success [1-99] Son_of_Montfort is on the path to success [1-99] Son_of_Montfort is on the path to success [1-99] Son_of_Montfort is on the path to success [1-99]
Just a bit off topic... I wonder if Fury of Dracula is able to be played as a forum game?

Thanks for the responses guys. Would love to see more!
Old 08 Jan 11, 15:59
General of the Forums
Canada

LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
Was in the hobby shop today and it's like crap how did I forget Munchkin.

People, you have NOT had fun till you play this Steve Jackson card game called Munchkin.

You need to be hard core anti social to not want to play Munchkin.
Old 08 Jan 11, 18:56
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I have played Munchkin but don't see much of my friend who has it.
I play Carcasone and Talisman on occasion with non-wargaming friends.
I run a Dungeons and Dragons game about once a month.
We have a copy of S.P.A.N.K. and pack it along when we wait in the coffee shop for a show to start.
Old 08 Jan 11, 22:42
Captain
United_States

BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100]
lately? lots and lots of Dominion

Carcassonne - prefer H&G, but will play the original; can't stand Discovery; Kids of... is a great gateway game

Days of Steam (aka Carca-train)

Ticket to Ride

Forbidden Island

Jamaica

Red Dragon Inn

Adventurers

Runebound

Warrior Knights

we've got a regular Euro-gaming group that meets up at the local Border's every Wednesday, and we get a lot of different stuff in through them; I bring Jr along with me and we both play.
Old 08 Jan 11, 23:25
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400]
MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400] MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400]
As a kid, I played RISK & Tactics II. I've played the LotR RISK and liked it (with our house rules), but I have noone to play games with. Honestly, I would rather play a CCG, Battletech specifically. I have some rules floating around in my head for a MP campaign, but I don't have enough cards (or players) to play. Oh, yeah, big D&D player when younger. Still have all my stuff, too :-)

"Castles Made Of Sand"-Jimi Hendrix from Axis:Bold As Love 1967
Old 09 Jan 11, 15:27
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States

I got my wife into gaming via Carcassonne and Settlers. They are what we call "gateway games."
Old 09 Jan 11, 22:20
Lieutenant Colonel
Kenya
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Montfort View Post
I got my wife into gaming via Carcassonne and Settlers. They are what we call "gateway games."
I am in the process of doing that as well. Even got her to play a game of Dominion this past month. Also I think I got my in-laws into it as well as we played several of these games over Christmas and then they went out and bought ticket to ride and are looking for more games. Now if only I could slowly lure them into wargames

Thanks for looking!!
Sponsored Links

Old 10 Jan 11, 06:31
Captain
United_States

BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Montfort View Post
For the young'uns, Kids of Carcassonne is the answer. He's gone from Kids of, to H&G, to Ticket to Ride, to just about anything he wants to learn at this point. Most of the games listed above have been games we've learned together. Thanks to him, we've got my parents playing Ticket to Ride, and Kids of Carcassonne. Not sure how mom would do with H&G, but my wife can play it.
Old 14 Jan 11, 20:13
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Just purchased the revised 4th ed. Talisman.
Some friends wanted to play it again tonight. I like the expansions. So, what the heck.
Old 16 Jan 11, 19:56
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
Just purchased the revised 4th ed. Talisman.
Some friends wanted to play it again tonight. I like the expansions. So, what the heck.
We played a game over two evenings. We now measure Talisman not in hours played but in how many bottles of wine consumed.

We used these expansions.

Looking forward to getting the other expansions after I work a bit of overtime.
Old 16 Jan 11, 22:46
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
SPQR Campaign 

Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Mostly I enjoy playing Settlers with my non-wargaming friends. It can be random, but there is a lot of strategy involved. Probably more in the trading and building than in the resource gathering. But even that is well-balanced. Maybe it's a different game when most of your friends are in sales for a living?

I also play a lot of chess. Surprised that isn't mentioned yet.

And as much as I imagine it to be a "gateway game" to the hardcore gamers here, Axis & Allies is about as advanced of a wargame as I can get any of my local friends to play.
Old 17 Jan 11, 06:43
Captain
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torien View Post
And as much as I imagine it to be a "gateway game" to the hardcore gamers here, Axis & Allies is about as advanced of a wargame as I can get any of my local friends to play.
Torien - you might want to give LNLP's Tank on Tank a whirl. It's a fantastic little basic wargame, with very simple rules. Only downside is that it's more expensive than it needs to be for the as lightweight as it is.

My son is 7 1/2 and he can play this one. By "play" I mean that he can mechanically execute properly as described in the rules. His tactics need some polishing, but hey - he's not yet 8, so he's got time

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!