HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Forum Resources > The Barracks > Sports Field

Notices and Announcements

Sports Field Got a favourite team or sports personality? Here's where to discuss their relative merits.

Old 08 Feb 12, 00:16
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400]
It did. He might be keeping Henry, Christian, Mysterio and Del Rio company for a while if its as bad as it looked.

Though they take every precaution, and practice-practice-practice, these guys abuse their bodies for the entertainment. Anyone calling it fake can take a look at R-Truth last night (plus Steve Austin and Owen Hart back in the day).

I think the Miz was supposed to be at that spot, but he got up out of place. Guys like Miz, Orton and Kingston tend to get a little out of hand and someone almost always ends up hurt when they wrestle.

Jericho didn't do much actual wrestling...probably getting that confused with his dance coreography from his last TV appearance

And opening with D-Bryan and Big Show almost made me watch something else. I'm glad I didn't, but I am so sick of D-Bryan. Total change from the way I felt two months ago.

I still don't want an Undertaker/HHH rematch at Wrestlemania, but I guess there's nothing I can do about it.

Better to fight and fall than to live without hope.
Old 08 Feb 12, 12:24
Lieutenant General
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300]
It looks like R-Truth is okay but how he never suffered any serious injury from that fall is a miracle. I just found out that Eve Torres suffered a broken nose from her match at Raw.
Old 08 Feb 12, 20:14
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400] Hida Akechi has a spectacular aura about [400]
Those Diva's can get vicious. I know that Alicia Foxx hurt someone recently (I think it was Beth Phoenix). They're more look than substance (duh!) and I don't think they practice as much as they should. In general, of course, I'm sure some Divas take the physical part a little more seriously.

Good for Truth. He's a fun character at times (one of my girlfriend's favorites). He lucked out with that fall, glad he's okay.

Oh, forgot to add Sin Cara to my injured list in my last post. He's been gone a while too because of injury, and probably will be for a while.

Old 09 Feb 12, 07:36
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900] D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900]
D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900] D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900] D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900] D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900] D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900] D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900]
The discussion of injuries raises a question? How are they handled? Do the injured still get paid like athletes in the NFL for example or are they individual contractors on their own for such expenses?

Regards,
Dennis

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!
Old 09 Feb 12, 12:58
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

I'm not real sure about that one. Most wrestlers have agents of some sort, but it all comes down to contract info.

I know that the WWE has taken a lot of steps to prevent injuries and make it safer for the entertainers to perform, but I also know that some wrestlers are released if they've suffered an injury.

Most likely, contracts are ironclad until they expire. If a wrestler is injured, the contract holds; but once the contract expires, the company is free to do what they want, and if that wrestler is still injured, they will probably get released.

I could be wrong. If I am, please, someone educate me.

Old 16 Feb 12, 23:18
Lieutenant General
United_States

Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300]
The last RAW shows that the WWE is trying to turn Cena heel.
Old 17 Feb 12, 07:48
General of the Forums
United_States

D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900] D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900]
D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900] D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900] D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900] D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900] D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900] D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hida Akechi View Post
Though they take every precaution, and practice-practice-practice, these guys abuse their bodies for the entertainment. Anyone calling it fake can take a look at R-Truth last night (plus Steve Austin and Owen Hart back in the day).
What?! C'mon man! You should know better than to say that.

The fake part, and it is, comes from the fact that the matches are not, repeat NOT true athletic competitions, but rather fixed by having a predetermined winner.

Yes they are athletes, yes they take great risks, but it is fake. It is entertainment and not sport.

Regards,
Dennis

Old 17 Feb 12, 15:43
Lieutenant General
United_States

My problem with calling the WWE fake is that the defination of the word means to be purposely misleading and the WWE is not puposely misleading anyone and everyone knows what it is. Another problem I have with using the word fake is that the word is always used to describe something as bad and I don't view the WWE as a bad thing. If the WWE gets called fake why not call other t.v. shows fake. What about Civil War re-enactors isn't what they do fake. When I hear people call professional wrestling "fake" I understand what they are saying but it is the wrong word to use.
Old 17 Feb 12, 20:55
General of the Forums
United_States

rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800]
rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800]
Midgets can get vicious too.
Old 18 Feb 12, 10:06
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1J1 View Post
What?! C'mon man! You should know better than to say that.

The fake part, and it is, comes from the fact that the matches are not, repeat NOT true athletic competitions, but rather fixed by having a predetermined winner.

Yes they are athletes, yes they take great risks, but it is fake. It is entertainment and not sport.

Regards,
Dennis
Who is claiming that it is a true althetic competition? There's a reason why it is called sports ENTERTAINMENT. Its just like watching a movie; the outcome has been scripted from the start. I don't watch it for any other reason than that. If I wanted a true athletic competition, I'd watch a football game, and I do when its on.

So, it is not fake, it is exactly what it claims to be. There is no more deception than nearly any other show on TV, excluding "reality shows", though I'm not convinced that many of those shows aren't scripted as well.

Last edited by Hida Akechi; 18 Feb 12 at 10:19..
Sponsored Links

Old 18 Feb 12, 10:18
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkertail20 View Post
The last RAW shows that the WWE is trying to turn Cena heel.
I'm not convinced that they would turn John Cena into a heel. They might adjust his character some to be more like Randy Orton (he's a face that acts like a heel; the bad good guy).

They make way too much money off of John Cena the Face. He's the ambassador of the WWE currently, especially with our military organizations. The WWE doesn't have anyone that can replace him in that role currently. Sheamus, as popular as he is, couldn't do that because he's not American.

I don't like Cena's schtick (white rapper part mostly), but I do respect him greatly for his efforts. Most of the booing he gets is just because that's the "in thing to do", but some of it is because he and the WWE was never able to sell his schtick properly. It bothers me that someone can try so hard to do what he does, and he is still hated so much.

The writers are making big mistakes with this whole Cena/Kane thing, and having Ryder and Eve thrown in like that was really a mistake. Now they've got people hating Cena even more--and its the people that already hated him hating him more, I don't think he gained any more detractors from RAW's incident.

If I were writing this, at least from the point where Eve kissed Cena in front of Ryder, I'd have Ryder forgive Cena instead of that near-confrontation, thus spoiling Kane's efforts and showing Cena's fans his actual resovle. Instead they have Cena nearly fight Ryder, which was a huge mistake.

Eve gets more boos than all the other heels combined at this point (I hope everyone noticed that, I loved it). And rightfully so.

Nothing they do will change the minds of Cena Haters at this point, unless they change his schick--massively overhaul it. But the more they change him, the more of his fan base will leave him.

He's in a no-win situation here. Having him face the Rock was a very, very bad move for the WWE and Cena. A very bad move indeed.

The WWE has painted themselves into a corner with Cena, and I'm not sure how to fix it anymore.

Old 20 Feb 12, 07:03
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkertail20 View Post
My problem with calling the WWE fake is that the defination of the word means to be purposely misleading and the WWE is not puposely misleading anyone and everyone knows what it is. Another problem I have with using the word fake is that the word is always used to describe something as bad and I don't view the WWE as a bad thing. If the WWE gets called fake why not call other t.v. shows fake. What about Civil War re-enactors isn't what they do fake. When I hear people call professional wrestling "fake" I understand what they are saying but it is the wrong word to use.
Good point, by you and Hida. I see your perspective now. Thanks for clarifying.

I will however point out that Mr. McMahon refused, repeat REFUSED, to admit that matches were predetermined until compelled to do so on the witness stand. He thus created and fostered the idea that they were real.

IIRC this was during the steroids trials involving the then WWF personnel.

Regards,
Dennis

Old 20 Feb 12, 07:06
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hida Akechi View Post
Who is claiming that it is a true althetic competition? There's a reason why it is called sports ENTERTAINMENT. Its just like watching a movie; the outcome has been scripted from the start. I don't watch it for any other reason than that. If I wanted a true athletic competition, I'd watch a football game, and I do when its on.

So, it is not fake, it is exactly what it claims to be. There is no more deception than nearly any other show on TV, excluding "reality shows", though I'm not convinced that many of those shows aren't scripted as well.
Reality shows should star Santa and the Easter Bunny. Reality my foot! Thanks for clairfying your meaning.

Regards,
Dennis

Old 21 Feb 12, 01:26
Lieutenant General
United_States

I enjoyed tonights RAW but the main event was an absolute catastrophe. Wade Barrett may have a broken arm, Kofi may have injured his knee and Big Show threw Dolph into the announcers table taking Wade and R-Truth with him. On top of that as Wade is laying on the floor being attended to Cody Rhodes eliminates Santino by throwing him over the ropes right in the direction of Wade. I have a feeling some wrestlers are going to feel the wrath of Vince McMahon for this.

Last edited by Checkertail20; 21 Feb 12 at 01:42..
Old 21 Feb 12, 12:53
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Yeah, that was a brutal battle royal. It's hard to practice being thrown over the ropes.

I immediately knew that Barrett was injured by his reaction. Ziggler was injured too, wasn't he? Especially the way he slammed into the announcer's table. I didn't know that Kingston was injured too.

All this in one wrestling move. Wow.

And Randy Orton with another concussion (I think he suffered one last year against Christain, but that was prbably kayfabe), after being injured in Indy a couple of months ago.

I agree that Vince might throw his wrath around a bit at this one. Too many superstars injured all at once, too many superstars out with injuries. If this keeps up, it will be a very small Wrestlemania.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!