HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > Europe

Notices and Announcements

Europe Issues of modern Europe. .

Old 17 Dec 10, 10:51
Lance Corporal
United_States

abukede is on the path to success [1-99] abukede is on the path to success [1-99]
Roman Coin Hoard Found

Very cool.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...metal-detector

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 17 Dec 10, 11:06
Lieutenant General
Wales

Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600]
Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600]
Fantastic read - thanks for posting!

I love this bit:

"I picked out a piece of Roman pottery, and when I turned it over there was a coin, a bronze radiate, stuck in it. When I turned over the next handful of clay, it was stuffed with coins 20 at least. I just sat back on my heels and shouted: 'I've done it!'. I knew at once I'd found a Roman coin hoard in its undisturbed container I knew the archaeologists would wet themselves."

He filled in the hole, chucking in an old horseshoe on the wild off chance that somebody else with a detector might happen on the site

Old 17 Dec 10, 17:18
Lance Corporal
United_States

abukede is on the path to success [1-99] abukede is on the path to success [1-99]
I was wondering... what the hell was he doing with an old horseshoe out in the middle of nowhere.
Old 19 Dec 10, 23:30
Captain
Pirate

surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99]
For exactly what he used it for, i assume. A Decoy :P

Quote:
And so, Moorhead is convinced, the only plausible explanation for how they ended up in the field is that the hoard was a ritual offering to the gods.
F***, the end of the world is near; these guys have stolen the offering to the gods!
Old 21 Dec 10, 04:13
Banned
Germany

flyingsolo has a little shameless behaviour in the past [-1 to -99]
I would love to find something like this...but being honest, I would be so tempted to keep whatever I found and not hand it over to the relevent authorities...particularly if you found some ancient jewllery or sculpture, I personally would find it difficult to hand it over...
Old 21 Dec 10, 04:33
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99]
Community property, communism...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsolo View Post
I would love to find something like this...but being honest, I would be so tempted to keep whatever I found and not hand it over to the relevent authorities...particularly if you found some ancient jewllery or sculpture, I personally would find it difficult to hand it over...
You Europeans have bizzare concepts of private property. What right does any government have to what's on your land???
Old 21 Dec 10, 07:20
General
UK

DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500]
DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by american1975 View Post
You Europeans have bizzare concepts of private property. What right does any government have to what's on your land???
Goes back donkeys years. Basically it works or used to work something like this.

If you find a relic or something on your land. YOu are obliged to report it to the local county archeologists.

It lets the Archeologists get stuck in and lets them see if theres anything else there, a lost temple or building. basically it saves and preserves the nations history.

At that point there is a hearing to decide who it belongs to and the importance of the peice. For example if you walk across a farmers field and find something the actual artifact may belong to the farmer rather than the finder?

Mainly its to preserve the context of finds and to stop some one flogging a national treasure something like the sutton hoo helmet say, on e bay.

if the peice is of national importance then it can be gifted to or sold ot a museum at one point the British museum got first dibs, I dont know if thats still the case. Either way the finder and any other intrested parties are compensated to the market value of the item.

if its decided that it isnt then you can flog it. But the intent of the law is to prevent the sale of our national heritage.
Old 21 Dec 10, 07:31
Lieutenant General
Wales

Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600]
Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600]
Correctamundo Darkplace.

You've summed it up perfectly.

The Treasure Act
Old 21 Dec 10, 08:59
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99]
Sounds like a good law if people arnt cheated and the original finder/owners are give due defference. A simple case of emminent domain.
Old 21 Dec 10, 10:40
Colonel
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100]
If you find gold, it's called Treasure Trove and belongs to the Crown.

Who could do with the money..

Personal Blog
Sponsored Links

Old 21 Dec 10, 10:46
Colonel
Ireland

E.D. Morel is walking in the light [200] E.D. Morel is walking in the light [200] E.D. Morel is walking in the light [200] E.D. Morel is walking in the light [200] E.D. Morel is walking in the light [200] E.D. Morel is walking in the light [200] E.D. Morel is walking in the light [200] E.D. Morel is walking in the light [200] E.D. Morel is walking in the light [200] E.D. Morel is walking in the light [200] E.D. Morel is walking in the light [200] E.D. Morel is walking in the light [200] E.D. Morel is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by abukede View Post
I was wondering... what the hell was he doing with an old horseshoe out in the middle of nowhere.
Maybe he kept it for luck, in which case it worked!
Old 21 Dec 10, 13:54
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Why the 300 year requirement???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Hunter View Post
If you find gold, it's called Treasure Trove and belongs to the Crown.

Who could do with the money..
Any ideas?
Old 22 Dec 10, 01:55
General
UK

DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500]
DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by american1975 View Post
Any ideas?

Treasure Trove only applies if the find was Gold or Silver, and looks like it was hidden. see below.

In the case of 'treasure trove', special legislation applies. All 'treasure trove' (basically gold and silver, which was originally hidden and where the owner cannot now be found) belongs to the Crown and, when discovered, is subject to an inquest at a coroner's court to establish the circumstances of its loss or deposition. Archaeologists are frequently involved in giving evidence to such inquests. Finders are often allowed to keep the objects, or an institution such as the British Museum pays so that the objects can be added to a national collection.

Pretty much the same but with a coroners court and a slightly different legal angle.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!