HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > Europe

Notices and Announcements

Europe Issues of modern Europe. .

Old 11 Dec 10, 06:11
General
Romania
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Imperial has a spectacular aura about [400]
Roma vs Gypsy

Romanian government wants the official ethnonym of the Roma minority changed back to Gypsy.

President Traian Basescu stated that the decision to change the “Gipsy” ethnonym to “Roma” was a wrong decision since the Europeans ended up confusing the Roma with the Romanians.

Roma rights groups criticize the decision and state they will inform US President Barrack Obama.

http://www.nineoclock.ro/index.php?i...20101206-14183

They're going to tell Obama!
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 11 Dec 10, 09:22
Major General
Canada

Jonathanrex1 is on a distinguished road [300] Jonathanrex1 is on a distinguished road [300] Jonathanrex1 is on a distinguished road [300] Jonathanrex1 is on a distinguished road [300] Jonathanrex1 is on a distinguished road [300] Jonathanrex1 is on a distinguished road [300] Jonathanrex1 is on a distinguished road [300] Jonathanrex1 is on a distinguished road [300] Jonathanrex1 is on a distinguished road [300] Jonathanrex1 is on a distinguished road [300] Jonathanrex1 is on a distinguished road [300] Jonathanrex1 is on a distinguished road [300] Jonathanrex1 is on a distinguished road [300]
Only a fool, would confuse Romas with Romanians. Anyways the name Roma is deprived from the name of a Hindu god, Rama.

So I feel the name is find.
Old 11 Dec 10, 10:15
General of the Forums
Russia
5 Year Service Ribbon Distinguished Service Award Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Haven't they always been just Gypsies? Gotta love this PC crap: first we're this, now we've changed our minds and we're actually what we were before. Do as we say, or we'll complain to Obama.

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour
Old 11 Dec 10, 10:42
General
Romania
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShAA View Post
Haven't they always been just Gypsies? Gotta love this PC crap: first we're this, now we've changed our minds and we're actually what we were before. Do as we say, or we'll complain to Obama.
Yes they have been, until 1971 when a part of them decided otherwise:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_R...omani_Congress

However many of them still call themselves Gypsies, not Roma. Roma is the name that some of their elites and PC NGOs want to impose (and managed to impose actually).

Last edited by Imperial; 11 Dec 10 at 10:45..
Old 11 Dec 10, 11:05
General
Romania
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanrex1 View Post
Only a fool, would confuse Romas with Romanians.
A couple of months ago Dennis Abbot (European Commission Spokesperson for Education, Culture, Multilingualism and Youth) confused the Romanian language with the Romani (Gypsy) language during a press conference. The confusion is wide-spread.
Old 11 Dec 10, 13:05
ACG Forums - General Staff
UK
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Haven't they always been just Gypsies?
Not in the UK. We have a few Roma, very few actually. However we have our own brand of Gypsies.
I would give forth my own views on the subject, but it would lead me to getting banned. Needless to say they are distinct groupings over here. No issue with the Roma, its our own lot that I have problems with.

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.
Old 12 Dec 10, 09:57
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Andy H is a jewel in the rough [500]
Andy H is a jewel in the rough [500] Andy H is a jewel in the rough [500] Andy H is a jewel in the rough [500] Andy H is a jewel in the rough [500] Andy H is a jewel in the rough [500] Andy H is a jewel in the rough [500] Andy H is a jewel in the rough [500] Andy H is a jewel in the rough [500] Andy H is a jewel in the rough [500] Andy H is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listy View Post
Not in the UK. We have a few Roma, very few actually. However we have our own brand of Gypsies.
I would give forth my own views on the subject, but it would lead me to getting banned. Needless to say they are distinct groupings over here. No issue with the Roma, its our own lot that I have problems with.
Hi Listy

I'm sure you could find enough weighty words to disguise your feelings to such an extent that you wouldn't get banned-In fact some of the rabid anti-Muslim postings seemed to have attracted no bannings from what I've seen, so I think your pretty safe

Regards
http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/index.php
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/
Old 12 Dec 10, 13:04
ACG Forums - General Staff
UK
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
Hi Listy

I'm sure you could find enough weighty words to disguise your feelings to such an extent that you wouldn't get banned-In fact some of the rabid anti-Muslim postings seemed to have attracted no bannings from what I've seen, so I think your pretty safe

Regards

Yeah but as a Mod I have to be a good lil boy.

There's a Traveller infestation at the following location, and you can see the damage they've done to the surrounding area.
52°14'15.58"N
0° 7'57.53"E

Normally it looks allot worse than that though, with the field to the North east normally having tons of litter on it. What you can't see is all the faeces and feral dogs running around.

I used to work in the building to the South. So you can see why I have such a high regard for them.

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.
Old 12 Dec 10, 14:26
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Andy H is a jewel in the rough [500]
Andy H is a jewel in the rough [500] Andy H is a jewel in the rough [500] Andy H is a jewel in the rough [500] Andy H is a jewel in the rough [500] Andy H is a jewel in the rough [500] Andy H is a jewel in the rough [500] Andy H is a jewel in the rough [500] Andy H is a jewel in the rough [500] Andy H is a jewel in the rough [500] Andy H is a jewel in the rough [500]
Hi Listy

Sadly most councils have strong laws that if impemented, would curtail many of the aspects that make non-Gypsies so angry. However they are so dedicated to not offending anyone or been seen in a racially bad light, that they chose not to bring the law to the fore.

Regards
http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/index.php
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/
Old 13 Dec 10, 12:05
Brigadier General
Poland
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200]
Every argument between Hunagarians and Romanians on internet over Transilvania end with Romanians being called dirty Gipsies. Which is ironic for me as lot of Magyars looks kinda swarthy too I can sympathise with Imperial sentiment since I hate being confused with Ruskies. Since calling them Gypsies is BS too since they don't come from Egypt how about the Sindi name I've heard? It won't be confused to any other nation even by our geographicly chalanged friends from America.
Sponsored Links

Old 13 Dec 10, 13:08
General
Romania
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DracoBorealis View Post
Every argument between Hunagarians and Romanians on internet over Transilvania end with Romanians being called dirty Gipsies. Which is ironic for me as lot of Magyars looks kinda swarthy too
Those Hungarian forumists should be reminded that their Gypsy minority makes up 5-10% of their population, just like in Romania's case, and in terms of overall number of Gypsy population Hungary comes on 3rd place in Central and Eastern Europe, after Romania and Bulgaria. I'd tone it down if I were them.
Old 13 Dec 10, 20:55
General of the Forums
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Persephone is a pillar of the community [1100] Persephone is a pillar of the community [1100]
Persephone is a pillar of the community [1100] Persephone is a pillar of the community [1100] Persephone is a pillar of the community [1100] Persephone is a pillar of the community [1100] Persephone is a pillar of the community [1100] Persephone is a pillar of the community [1100] Persephone is a pillar of the community [1100] Persephone is a pillar of the community [1100] Persephone is a pillar of the community [1100] Persephone is a pillar of the community [1100] Persephone is a pillar of the community [1100] Persephone is a pillar of the community [1100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
Roma rights groups criticize the decision and state they will inform US President Barrack Obama.

http://www.nineoclock.ro/index.php?i...20101206-14183

They're going to tell Obama!
This is too funny!

They're gonna have to get in line behind Americans that would like to tell President Barack H. Obama something(s)...

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Old 15 Dec 10, 03:31
General
Romania
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
This is too funny!

They're gonna have to get in line behind Americans that would like to tell President Barack H. Obama something(s)...
Maybe they got in front of that line because the President appears to have changed his mind:

Quote:
NB: And changing the name from Roma to Tzigan?

TB: I believe it’s a big mistake, I’ll never promulgate such a law. I’ll send the law back.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2f1b77e8-0...#axzz18AODiEQ4
Old 15 Dec 10, 08:18
Private
UK

Wol293 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
Those Hungarian forumists should be reminded that their Gypsy minority makes up 5-10% of their population, just like in Romania's case, and in terms of overall number of Gypsy population Hungary comes on 3rd place in Central and Eastern Europe, after Romania and Bulgaria. I'd tone it down if I were them.
Being Hungarian I do have my own views on a lot of historical issues between Hungary and Romania. However I would never resort to calling Romanians gypsies. In fact I congratulate your government for this decision. Regardless of the actual background of it it's nice to see someone moving away from the stupid political correctness spreading everywhere these days.
I live in the UK at the moment, and the only person who doesn't look shocked when I mention gypsies is a guy at work who has a Romanian wife and has lived in Romania for a few years. It's sad that some people are outraged and defend them without knowing what they are like in Eastern Europe. A girl at the office said that she thought that gypsies are nice and friendly travellers...
Old 15 Dec 10, 09:45
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900]
Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
There is only one Roma, and it's in Italy Bro!

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!