StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 12 Feb 10, 14:55
General of the Forums - Departed Hero & Friend
United_States
ACG Order of Valiant Honor Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Jim View Post
I went through IOBC 8-67 early '67. What class were you in? ...
I don't remember my "Official Class ID" and have no personal records or orders anymore. However, I'm sure you know of this little item...

My class had this muther shipped from the coast of the North East (think it was originally mounted on a shore battery guarding New York) - can't exactly remember now. Anyway one of our "classmates" was a son of a friend of a Congressman who obtained this for us. We (our class) took up donations to have it shipped and we did all labor to install it in front of Wiggle Hall. Then every evening (after cement dried) we had a detail out polishing that muther (when we received it, had to be covered with at least 75yrs of barnacles and green tarnish). Our Company (50th) building (barracks) was located within spittin distance of Wiggle Hall and the rear of our barracks backed up against a main OCS area parking lot.

LOL - I'm sure many OCS classes that followed ours also had details out polishing this lovely monument we dedicated to the School. heeheehee, Did you ever have to polish this baby??? I know we used hundreds of cans of Brasso; along with hundreds or so cotton diapers and Brillo pads on this thing. Can you imagine how much material/labor hours has been used in the past 45yrs to keep this sucker shiny!

Notice the plaque; sure wish someone would take a good readable picture of the plaque and post it here and/or email me a digital copy of the plaque to me.

I was Commissioned on 19 Oct, 1966.

P.S. I also love your cartoon collections.

What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.

Last edited by KEN JENSEN; 12 Feb 10 at 15:02..
Old 12 Feb 10, 21:12
Staff Sergeant
United_States

ussfa344 is on the path to success [1-99] ussfa344 is on the path to success [1-99] ussfa344 is on the path to success [1-99] ussfa344 is on the path to success [1-99]
Thanks for the memories Ranger Jim!
Old 13 Feb 10, 16:40
United_States
ACG Order of Valiant Honor Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Trying to keep clean - Hey, no Joke - here is the "real thingie"

Although you can’t see his “sink” heeheehee Steel Pot with optional cold, warm, or hot water (C4 used to heat canteen cup of water) - One could soap up pretty good!

and then for a "real bath" one must find running "bath water" (no hot water option here) - AAAAH - Isn't this inviting!

One half Platoon (2 Squads) allowed to enjoy this (one Squad posted as security at all times - then switch). Then the other half of Platoon may get a chance also!

On this one, security concerns not as bad - bath location right outside the wire of NDP!

At times we would get LUCKY!

P.S. Now during the monsoon season it was a different exercise. All we had to do was remove our poncho!

P.S.S. Thanks Ranger Jim for giving me the chance to tie these to your Cartoon!

What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.
Old 13 Feb 10, 17:55
Sergeant
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99] Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99] Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN JENSEN View Post

Although you can’t see his “sink” heeheehee Steel Pot with optional cold, warm, or hot water (C4 used to heat canteen cup of water) - One could soap up pretty good! /

P.S.S. Thanks Ranger Jim for giving me the chance to tie these to your Cartoon!
You're welcome, Ken! That was part of my intention: to remind others of the humor that we could find even in the midst of the AO....

And speaking of the venerable steel pot, it makes me wonder what the guys today use for field expedient sinks for washing and shaving out in the bush (or sand). While I have no experience with today's "Fritz" kevlar helmet, I understand that it doesn't have a liner - it's one piece.
Old 14 Feb 10, 02:28
General of the Forums - Donut Dolly
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN JENSEN View Post
Did you have to worry about leaches in this particular bathing pool?

Old 14 Feb 10, 03:01
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Saigon View Post
Did you have to worry about leaches in this particular bathing pool?
NOPE - not with this type of flow. We normally didn't hardly worry about leaches anyway - either you got them or you didn't.

Leaches were mostly in swamp type marshes and canals that fed rice paddies. The canals would be more passive to no flow unless they were actually flooding the rice paddies. The marsh portion (heavy grasses beyond the stream flow) would probably contain leaches (the grass prevented and/or really slowed down the flow).

In a stream that the water flowed (moved at a steady pace) wasn't to much of a leach problem.

LOL, of course we had our reluctant few (so called brave) soldiers that would let others test the waters before they ventured in. heeheehee, could be a snake or two that would come out of the marsh at the edge of the stream.

Last edited by KEN JENSEN; 14 Feb 10 at 03:10..
Old 22 Feb 10, 01:50
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Superb pics of grunts of the 4th Infantry Division on operation in the Central Highlands in 1969:

Full set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steffer/sets/1665821/
Old 22 Feb 10, 22:05
Sergeant Major
United_States

Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
This one's for you, Sidewinder (and all of your FAC and TAC buddies)!

We couldn't talk to the pilots directly, so we relied on FACs to interpret for us...
"Charlie 16, got a flight of 3 inbound in about 5 mikes. Load is snakes and 20 mike-mike..."
"Roger, Tamale. Enemy is 750 meters at 375 degrees from my pos in a small clump of trees."
"I'm rolling in and will mark with willy pete."
"Good shooting, Tamale! You got a direct on one and knocked another down and he's not moving! Bring 'em in!"

And so he did and so they did, and we turned in a body count of 1 KIA and 1 probable WIA for the FAC (Tamale 72), and about 15 confirmed KIA for the F4E dudes. I say "about", as after they unloaded a couple of 250# snakes each and then came back in with their gatlings, wasn't much left of the clump of trees, so we had to count weapons. We did manage to salvage a couple of AKs in pretty decent shape, and since the Bn S-3 was our old Co Commander, I passed them along to him personally and he promised to get them to the FAC.
Love that cartoon Jim. Passed it along to my FAC buddies.

I know a Tamale FAC, Tamale 35. I think he was at Vung Tau, c. 67. I'll have to ask him if he was ever at Dong Tam.

BDA by the Legs was dead nuts compared to preplanned airstrikes that required going over the target at about 200' to see what damage was done and to see if a body count could be obtained. This type of BDA was always inflated because the REMFs liked a high body count. After one airstrike I was on we returned to the target area for the BDA and a pack of feral dogs were already there, eating what was left of the body parts....the FAC said I see 35 bodies, how many do you see?

What was I to do, count the the number of dogs....I'll say no more.

Sidewinder Out
Old 23 Feb 10, 00:45
Sergeant
United_States

Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99] Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99] Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
This one's for you, Sidewinder (and all of your FAC and TAC buddies)!

We couldn't talk to the pilots directly, so we relied on FACs to interpret for us...
"Charlie 16, got a flight of 3 inbound in about 5 mikes. Load is snakes and 20 mike-mike..."
"Roger, Tamale. Enemy is 750 meters at 375 degrees from my pos in a small clump of trees."
"I'm rolling in and will mark with willy pete."
"Good shooting, Tamale! You got a direct on one and knocked another down and he's not moving! Bring 'em in!"

And so he did and so they did, and we turned in a body count of 1 KIA and 1 probable WIA for the FAC (Tamale 72), and about 15 confirmed KIA for the F4E dudes. I say "about", as after they unloaded a couple of 250# snakes each and then came back in with their gatlings, wasn't much left of the clump of trees, so we had to count weapons. We did manage to salvage a couple of AKs in pretty decent shape, and since the Bn S-3 was our old Co Commander, I passed them along to him personally and he promised to get them to the FAC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder CC View Post
Love that cartoon Jim. Passed it along to my FAC buddies.

I know a Tamale FAC, Tamale 35. I think he was at Vung Tau, c. 67. I'll have to ask him if he was ever at Dong Tam.

BDA by the Legs was dead nuts compared to preplanned airstrikes that required going over the target at about 200' to see what damage was done and to see if a body count could be obtained. This type of BDA was always inflated because the REMFs liked a high body count. After one airstrike I was on we returned to the target area for the BDA and a pack of feral dogs were already there, eating what was left of the body parts....the FAC said I see 35 bodies, how many do you see?

What was I to do, count the the number of dogs....I'll say no more.

Sidewinder Out
"What was I to do, count the the number of dogs....I'll say no more."

Roger that! Just be glad you never had to do an on the ground BDA - "count the arms and legs, divide by 4 and round up," as the saying goes.

Of course, in the case I cited above, I got a pretty good guesstimation of the unit size when I spotted them, and the combination of body parts and weapons - both intact and in pieces confirmed my educated guess that they were 2 squads/a short platoon.

Had some bad times doing BDAs, but I'll cover them in my "Ranger Jim's Combat Stories" blog, http://tinyurl.com/yfa7s5j .
Old 01 Mar 10, 22:09
Sergeant Major
United_States

Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99]
Familiar Face?

Here's a pic of an extremely old Papa San at Lai Khe, c.1966. He was probably around for every war they had in that neck of the woods. I would have liked to ask him about his life but we couldn't speak each other's language.

He was about 4' 6" foot tall.

Old 01 Mar 10, 23:06
General of the Forums
United_States

SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
Bath time. As this was a ditch we dammed up, there were no leaches.

That was not the case in the following two pictures with the kids and us swimming with our inflatable matts. Note the suntan how we almost match the local kids color wise. Needless to say, the untanned parts of our bodies got burnt quite quickly in the hot tropical sun.

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Last edited by SRV Ron; 13 Jul 17 at 07:51..
Old 24 Mar 10, 17:40
Sergeant Major
Spain

Casyd is on the path to success [1-99] Casyd is on the path to success [1-99] Casyd is on the path to success [1-99] Casyd is on the path to success [1-99] Casyd is on the path to success [1-99] Casyd is on the path to success [1-99]
Who was this man?

Yes, he was Charlton Heston (Can Tho, RVN. 18 Sept 1967)

Regards
Old 03 Apr 10, 03:09
Corporal
United_States

Half Moon is on the path to success [1-99] Half Moon is on the path to success [1-99]
Some of my Dad's pics

VMA211FL: Chu Lai '65-'66 (caption on back) VMA211 Flight Line. The flight line matting and the barrels, which are filled with sand and are banded together, were lifted and layed by hand.

may66c: (caption on back) The "patio" behind the house is not screened in, but still makes for a very relaxing place to sit around on a cool evening if we didn't happen to be working.

This may be a photo taken 27 April 1969, the day the Danang ammo dump went up.

Old 22 Apr 10, 17:56
General of the Forums - Donut Dolly
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Gotta Match?

Old 26 Apr 10, 16:01
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Chargin' Arvin'

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!