StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > Africa

Notices and Announcements

Africa Issues of modern Africa.

Old 17 Jun 13, 05:36
General of the Forums
Pirate
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
Dang, looks like they've harnessed the power of the waves!

--Hávamál
Old 20 Jun 13, 18:48
General of the Forums
South_Africa
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

andrewza has a spectacular aura about [400]
http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.ph...NDF&Itemid=108

Quote:
A quick reaction task undertaken by the CSIR for the SA National Defence Force (SANDF), specifically its Special Forces, has added waterborne rescue to the number of tasks the Gecko vehicle can perform.

The quick reaction tasks have to be completed within 24 to 72 hours and typically require a customised, solid but cost effective solution to address an urgent force deployment need said Klaus Muller, project leader for the CSIR’s technology for special operations team.

Faced with having to rescue flood victims from trees or roofs the SANDF required an easily-deployable means of reaching and transporting people through raging rivers. With the option of re-inventing a new craft not a possibility the CSIR determined ways of turning Gecko vehicles already in use by Special Forces into a waterborne platform.

CPO Mzinyati
Old 23 Jun 13, 10:26
General of the Forums
South_Africa
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Wahoo SF boat

Barracuda SF boat

Zodiac airdrop

Snow in africa, yes it can happen

Bit of showing of

one of the less seen SAAF transport aircraft

the more commonly used air craft

paradrop

the red sand of africa

splash

Badger with the AGM turret 1mg and 2 twin launchers, would hate to be the tanker when that comes out to play

CPO Mzinyati
Old 23 Jun 13, 10:29
General of the Forums
South_Africa

only need the BK117 and lynxy to have all our helicopters

there we go

just in case people still doubt we can not sail more than 1 sub at a time

mobile is good

CPO Mzinyati
Old 23 Jun 13, 10:29
General of the Forums
South_Africa

SF

close up of a turbo dak it may be based off a 1944 turbo dakota but it been modified a tad

a R4

patrol mortar

81mm mortar

Scorpion automatic mortar system, provides pinpoint fire over great distance, system can also use the 107mm MLRS and is fitted on SF Hornet

60mm

the big boy 120mm

CPO Mzinyati
Sponsored Links

Old 23 Jun 13, 11:31
General of the Forums
South_Africa

CPO Mzinyati
Old 23 Jun 13, 11:46
General of the Forums
South_Africa

CPO Mzinyati
Old 23 Jun 13, 15:11
General of the Forums
South_Africa

CPO Mzinyati
Old 23 Jun 13, 15:31
General of the Forums
South_Africa

http://www.enca.com/south-africa/sa-...g-our-harbours

Quote:
South Africa’s harbours and ports contribute billions to the country’s economy every year and are the main gateway for imports to countries in the SADC region.

So keeping these ports safe for trade is critical to local economies.

The SA Navy’s hydrography division is hard at work to ensure that these ports are not only safe from threats on the surface but also from what lies beneath.

Captain Andrew Blake from the SA Navy Survey Ship, SAS Protea says that protecting shores against pirates is often the focus of African countries along the continent’s eastern coastline.

But over the past few weeks the SA Navy has been ensuring other potential obstacles to the local economy is intercepted and making sure none of the vessels visiting our shores, literally get stuck in the mud.

CPO Mzinyati
Old 23 Jun 13, 16:20
General of the Forums
South_Africa

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.ph...NDF&Itemid=108

Quote:
Eastern Cape will host this year’s Exercise Shared Accord, a joint multi-national peace support operation and humanitarian relief exercise between South Africa and the United States.

Late July to mid-August has been set aside for the exercise that will be held in Eastern Cape for the second time in three years.

The SA National Defence Force (SANDF) hosts the exercise that will unfold in the coastal areas of the Nelson Mandela Metropolis and East London as well as the inland areas of Grahamstown, Bulembo and Bisho.

The aim of Shared Accord is to provide collective training for the SANDF and the US Armed Forces, building inter-operability and mutual understanding, SANDF exercise senior communication officer Captain (SAN) Jaco Theunissen said.

CPO Mzinyati
Old 25 Jun 13, 03:16
General of the Forums
Pirate
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
Snow in Africa. Okay, I guess so!

Was that an AMV armored vehicle up there somewhere? I recognized the Ratels and MRAP vehicles but I'm pretty sure there was an AMV pictured. Just wondering because I heard that it was to replace some Ratels?

--Hávamál
Old 25 Jun 13, 03:46
General of the Forums
South_Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six 4 View Post
Snow in Africa. Okay, I guess so!

Was that an AMV armored vehicle up there somewhere? I recognized the Ratels and MRAP vehicles but I'm pretty sure there was an AMV pictured. Just wondering because I heard that it was to replace some Ratels?

Yes that is a AMV. South africas AMV is the badger. 30mm balstic protecsion and a 30mm gun. All going to be a morta version with a 60mm breach loading morta, AGM version, comand version and fire support. Order is for 265. Was supposed to be in servis 3 years ago but was delayed. Most will be made in sa

The other close to 1000 ratels will be replased with either the ikwela or RG41. I have seen a a ikwela with the denel 30mm turret so it seems like they looking at them over the RG41

The badger is far better than the ikwela but cost more. And both would be better than any thing els in africa.

I could see the badger belonging to the armour brigade fighting along side the tanks and the ikwela in the mechnised brigade. That just speculastion though.

CPO Mzinyati
Old 26 Jun 13, 12:51
General of the Forums
South_Africa

http://itweb.co.za/mobilesite/defenc...item_id-30952/

Quote:
SANDF hosts first SADC surveillance commanders’ course

by defenceWeb/SA Soldier, June 25, 11:14 am

In a first for the South African Defence Intelligence College (SADIC) officers from nine Southern African Development Community (SADC) countries have successfully completed a surveillance commanders' course.

The eight week long course is designed to give the 17 junior officers attending the practical skills needed to become capable surveillance commanders at sub-unit level.

Working at squadron level course attendees went through battlefield surveillance followed by a command and control module before tackling the final modules of warfare and battlefield procedures. ...

CPO Mzinyati
Old 27 Jun 13, 17:22
General of the Forums
South_Africa

http://itweb.co.za/mobilesite/defenc...item_id-30986/

Quote:
Pretoria Regiment turns 100

by defenceWeb, June 27, 10:22 am

Pretoria Regiment will exercise its right to the Freedom of the City on Saturday, July 6, as the major event to mark its centenary.

In addition to a drill company, the regiment will also parade its current Olifant Mark 2 main battle tank as well as its predecessor, the Olifant Mark 1A and a range of historic equipment as it marches through the southern side of the Pretoria CBD en route to the City Hall.

CPO Mzinyati
Old 28 Jun 13, 10:42
General of the Forums
South_Africa

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.ph...try&Itemid=116

Quote:
altThe DCD Group’s Protected Mobility division today unveiled a new R100 million facility in Isando near OR Tambo International Airport. The 36 000 square metre property includes 22 000 square metres of factory and office space.

DCD Protected Mobility General Manager Andrew Mears said that DCD in late 2011 split off the Protected Mobility division, leaving the rolling stock business at its home in Boksburg. The decision to move Protected Mobility to its own facility was “to focus this very successful defence business and reposition it for future growth.” He added that the investment in a dedicated facility is critical to strengthening DCD’s foothold in the defence and security sector.

“We have recently expanded our product line so our own space to manufacture is important,” Mears said. The division launched the Mountain Lion armoured personnel carrier, and bought the Springbuck armoured personnel carrier range from Drakensberg Truck Manufacturers (DTM). DCD Protected Mobility’s most famous product is the Husky mine clearance vehicle.

DCD Group Managing Director, Rob King said the Mountain Lion had been designed with an eye to the future, as it has four wheel steering, something militaries find useful when trying to navigate large armoured vehicles through small villages, such as in Afghanistan. “DCD took a step ahead,” he said. “It’s not often you find a product ahead of a military requirement.”

DCD Protected Mobility said it is well positioned to service the South African National Defence Force’s (SANDF’s) demand for military vehicles. “The factory will enable the group to supply the SANDF from a local base, using local skills and materials in line with government’s localisation programme, as well as enhance existing exports for the US Army and Marine Corps and into Africa, Britain, France, Australia, Canada, Spain and Turkey.”

CPO Mzinyati
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!